Author Topic: Who Is The Most Intellectual Getbigger?  (Read 15690 times)

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
Re: Who Is The Most Intellectual Getbigger?
« Reply #250 on: April 27, 2009, 09:54:02 AM »
if you can use them in the right context

Absolutely. I wouldn't have mentioned it if he used that style of writing in linguistic or literary contexts. But the guy writes that way in FLEX magazine! Nothing wrong with it, of course, but he does it every single time and through the entire length of the article which makes it look very pretentious.

It's a bit like being formally dressed and trying to impose strict table manners on a group of people eating in McDonalds - the atmosphere / context doesn't warrant it, is all I'm saying.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #251 on: April 27, 2009, 09:57:27 AM »
With all due respect, this technique (if we can call it that) keeps the English language alive.
It is dying you know, oh yes.
These Yank's are fucking murdering it.
Multi-syllabic words are good for your synaptic connections, & if you can use them in the right context, well fuck me, if you shouldn't be working for 'NASA'
Unless, you're a master like Nabokov or Conrad, it's primarily only used for showing off. Good writers tend not to write like they are writing. Mencken and Twain agreed on the not using a 25-cent word when a 5-cent one would do just as well. Here's a link to Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing: http://www.kabedford.com/archives/000013.html

'If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.' - E. L.    ;)

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #252 on: April 27, 2009, 09:58:14 AM »
Mate, you have a point. I can't think about it now but when I started my MA I thought I really wanted to do this but as the months have gone by interest has waned and yes there is no reward for it. In some way I feel like I wasting my time but I still have an 80 pg dissertation to write so I am not going to think about it much. It has kind of become a quest to 'get the masters'. I do have another plan though, long term...which involves further education. Having said that I can't remember (minus the current panic and stress to finish my papers) the last time I was so 'content'. Life is quite ok, nothing spectacular but downright decent. A lot of my past shit came from working that shitty job for over 2 years in Korea. Lessons to be learnt.

BTW, I think all of getbig should know that a few weeks ago I kicked sleep meds...permanently, haven't had any and whilst sleep isn't that much better, I have more energy. Those meds were making me feel worse, not better.

good to hear :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #253 on: April 27, 2009, 10:01:01 AM »
good to hear :)

Thanks, haarloser Affe ;D
I hate the State.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #254 on: April 27, 2009, 10:14:57 AM »
Thanks, haarloser Affe ;D

I have some hair growing on my back now, I think I'm getting old.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: April 27, 2009, 10:27:54 AM »
Unless, you're a master like Nabokov or Conrad, it's primarily only used for showing off. Good writers tend not to write like they are writing. Mencken and Twain agreed on the not using a 25-cent word when a 5-cent one would do just as well. Here's a link to Elmore Leonard's 10 Rules of Writing: http://www.kabedford.com/archives/000013.html

'If it sounds like writing, I rewrite it.' - E. L.    ;)

Gayer than being 13 and writing every 100-letter word you know in your language classes because you think it makes you cool ;D

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #257 on: April 27, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »
I have some hair growing on my back now, I think I'm getting old.

Je aelter, desto schlimmer, ging es mir so zumindest, was das angeht.
I hate the State.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »

Gayer than being 13 and writing every 100-letter word you know in your language classes because you think it makes you cool ;D

That's floccinoccinihilipilific ation >:(

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #259 on: April 27, 2009, 10:38:21 AM »
Hey kiwiol, is it true that kiwi land and building houses is still pretty cheap? I saw a docu about German immigrants who make a living by buying land, building houses and then selling with ridiculous profits.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #260 on: April 27, 2009, 10:40:04 AM »
Hey kiwiol, is it true that kiwi land and building houses is still pretty cheap? I saw a docu about German immigrants who make a living by buying land, building houses and then selling with ridiculous profits.

YOU?............naaaaaaaaaaa aaaaa.............
I hate the State.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #261 on: April 27, 2009, 10:40:45 AM »
LOL. Well played, Kiwi.   Blackadder vs. Dr. Johnson, anyone?    :D

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: April 27, 2009, 10:42:17 AM »

Gayer than this would have impressed a 13 year old Debussey. Unfortunately, Debussey = still 8 years old in psychological age.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #263 on: April 27, 2009, 10:46:52 AM »

Depends on the location. Auckland, which is the city I live in, is one of the most expensive places in the world to live in and land prices here are pretty steep - about a third of the country's population lives here. But if you are talking about rural / remote areas, not so much. There are some areas that are developing rapidly and maybe the documentary was talking about those places. But I wouldn't say that's the case in general for the whole of NZ - it's a VERY laid back country, with a so-so economy, small population (around 3 million) and (relatively) low dollar value.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #264 on: April 27, 2009, 10:49:59 AM »
Depends on the location. Auckland, which is the city I live in, is one of the most expensive places in the world to live in and land prices here are pretty steep - about a third of the country's population lives here. But if you are talking about rural / remote areas, not so much. There are some places that are developing rapidly and maybe the documentary was talking about those places. But I wouldn't say that's the case in general for the whole of NZ - it's a VERY laid back country, with a so-so economy, small population (around 3 million) and (relatively) low dollar value.

Yeah, it was a rural area. They said it was pretty easy to build there, also small taxes. 3 Million is all of NZ? That's tiny. Beautiful country from what I have seen though.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #265 on: April 27, 2009, 10:52:42 AM »
Yeah, it was a rural area. They said it was pretty easy to build there, also small taxes. 3 Million is all of NZ? That's tiny. Beautiful country from what I have seen though.

Beg your pardon, it's actually a bit over 4 million. Still, not huge compared to a lot of other countries, for sure. And yeah, it's a very lovely place to live, visit, stay and / or study in.

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
  • Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone
« Reply #266 on: April 27, 2009, 10:53:16 AM »
Absolutely. I wouldn't have mentioned it if he used that style of writing in linguistic or literary contexts. But the guy writes that way in FLEX magazine! Nothing wrong with it, of course, but he does it every single time and through the entire length of the article which makes it look very pretentious.

It's a bit like being formally dressed and trying to impose strict table manners on a group of people eating in McDonalds - the atmosphere / context doesn't warrant it, is all I'm saying.

Fair points (you & Chimpy).
At least we can see a distinction.
Growth/noob loves me

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #267 on: April 27, 2009, 10:55:17 AM »
YOU?............naaaaaaaaaaa aaaaa.............

who knows ... ;D

pillowtalk

• Getbig IV
  • Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone
« Reply #268 on: April 27, 2009, 10:59:54 AM »
LOL. Well played, Kiwi.   Blackadder vs. Dr. Johnson, anyone?    :D

Slight over kill, but yeah, I get the point.
Black-Adder rocks 'BTW' (just though I would let you in on that).
As does 'faulty towers' -  John Cleese.
The "don't mention the war" episode - classic shit !!

Growth/noob loves me

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #269 on: April 27, 2009, 11:16:15 AM »
Slight over kill, but yeah, I get the point.
Black-Adder rocks 'BTW' (just though I would let you in on that).
As does 'faulty towers' -  John Cleese.
The "don't mention the war" episode - classic shit !!
Fawlty Towers goes without saying. The Germans is a great episode, although I like the one where Basil's car dies and he exits screen left only to return with a tree to give his car a 'damn good thrashing.' Bloody brilliant. Can't remember the title of that episode, tho.  :D 

Add: Found it. Gourmet Night. About 5:30-40 in. Brilliant!

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: April 27, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »
Fawlty Towers goes without saying. The Germans is a great episode, although I like the one where Basil's car dies and he exits screen left only to return with a tree to give his car a 'damn good thrashing.' Bloody brilliant. Can't remember the title of that episode, tho.  :D 

Add: Found it. Gourmet Night. About 5:30-40 in. Brilliant!

OMG that episode is "bloody" perfect ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #271 on: April 27, 2009, 11:43:16 AM »
I can't believe anybody on here watches Fawlty Towers...great show.  Now carry on, eggheads.... ;D

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: April 27, 2009, 11:46:54 AM »
I can't believe anybody on here watches Fawlty Towers...great show.  Now carry on, eggheads.... ;D

Debussey used to watch it for years when it was a kid (it used be on TV in Norway in the early to mid 90s for several months every year). Probably one of the absolute best shows that ever aired!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #273 on: April 27, 2009, 11:47:49 AM »

OMG that episode is "bloody" perfect ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I laughed again. The tall, gangly, finger-extended Basil threatening his car with harm for disappointing him one too many times: classic. Fawlty Towers, Monty Python and other Brit. coms is one of few areas where mine and my Da's interests intersect.  :)

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: April 27, 2009, 11:50:35 AM »
I laughed again. The tall, gangly, finger-extended Basil threatening his car with harm for disappointing him one too many times: classic. Fawlty Towers, Monty Python and other Brit. coms is one of few areas where mine and my Da's interests intersect.  :)

Debussey agrees. Those british shows = great. It seems like you and your father did not find a lack of chemistry when it came to these things. Good for you 8)