Author Topic: back pain ?  (Read 1303 times)

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
back pain ?
« on: May 08, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »
I have been out of the gym for about 6 months because my wife has been pregnant!  i have been back at the gym for a couple weeks now and on back day twice now i have come home with about 4-5 knots in my upper back to the point where it even hurts when taking in a deep breath!

The main exercises i have been doing are deadlifts, pullups, bent over rows, and cable rows. 

Would this be caused by bad form or because of being out of the gym for a while?  I am not really going heavy at all and just trying to work my way back to my old self!   

thanks!

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
Re: back pain ?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 05:21:31 PM »
I'd probably check your form on some of those exercises, keep the weights moderate until you get back into the swing of things.  You might wanna try doing some form of stretching when you get home from the gym.

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 07:06:37 PM »
Thanks leon i will do that!  I did start the free weights pretty quick but i just wanted to get back and hit it hard!  Thanks again.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 07:20:48 PM »
Thanks leon i will do that!  I did start the free weights pretty quick but i just wanted to get back and hit it hard!  Thanks again.

I do the same whenever I start a new program!

Speaking from experience though, the last thing you wanna do is damage your back in any way.  Best to rein in your enthusiasm slightly to keep yourself healthy.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 07:14:46 PM »

The main exercises i have been doing are deadlifts, pullups, bent over rows, and cable rows.

yeah i would agree with leon especially with deads and bent over rows...it would be easy to aggravate your back muscles if you havent been into long...are you using any kind of back support while working your back??

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 01:03:50 PM »
madman-

I always wear a belt but its not even my lower back, its in my upper back by my inner lats.  Like i said its knots, which cause pretty bad pain to the point i cant breathe deep and have to take about 2 days off to get back to normal.  I went today no problem but i did arms.  I did back on Friday and couldn't lift over the weekend at all!  I will take it easier though, when back day does come around maybe sticking with machines and cables for a couple weeks until i feel comfortable again.

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 09:20:13 PM »
that sounds like a good idea and that routine will prob take some strain off of those stabilizer muscles

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 09:21:31 PM »
i never like to mess around with back a back injury b/c a an injury to your back could put you down and out for a couple of weeks

wannabebig5

• Getbig II
  • 2006 mr.olympia
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 12:18:10 AM »
yeah i hear you madman and i plan on taking it easy for a few weeks for sure!

mademan80

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 09:14:04 AM »
it might sound gay but you could try some doing some yoga and meditation exercises...movements with little to no weight but that involve a lot of stretching