Author Topic: Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens  (Read 14435 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2009, 02:12:24 AM »
When my son skipped school i asked him the reason he did it.  After he explained to me why he did I talked to him about how every choice made regardless of reasons have consequences.  He didn't skip school because of the typical reasons kids skip school.   Because it was his first time ever skipping, the consequences he dealt with were from the school.  It was understood that if it ever happened again there would be consequences from me also and that next time he was faced with though choices I encouraged him to come to me first to help make a better choice.  Since, he hasn't to my knowledge ever skipped school again. 

The other stuff ended without punishment on the first instance either.  My son is pretty straight and narrow but my daughter is a regular hell raiser.  The standing rule is as long as we are alive is that both my children can call us at anytime in their lives if they are too drunk or stoned or whatever to drive or don't have a fully sober ride and we will come and pick them up without fear or consequence. (not that we aren't going to say a great deal about it)  It's never had to happen so far, thank god.

Well I think life shows you that there isn't always someone to bail you out and I agree, you must sleep in the bed you made.   But as long their mom and I are alive we will always be there for them to talk with. 

How old are you man? and how old are your kids?
I hate the State.

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2009, 07:59:39 AM »
I know this thread is mostly about Bristol, but now I'm starting to wonder about Sarah.

Sarah Palin was married to Todd on August 29, 1988 - they eloped.

Track Palin was born on April 20, 1989

235 days (7.83 months) between wedding night and birthday

Now unless the baby was born premature, one could ask, could it be they eloped because she was already pregnant?  They say it was because they didn't have the money for a big wedding. Was it?  And could the sins of the mother now fall on the daughter?
Things that make you say hmmmm?

Now everyone was young once and that doesn't mean she cannot believe that abstinence ONLY education is the right thing, but as a legislator, looking to limit sex ed to only abstinence only education, she may not be the best role model for such a stance.

And by the way, I've got no problem with abstinence education IN ADDITION to general sex ed.  I have 3 daughters myself and of course I'd want them celibate before marriage, but I'm realistic too.  I would also think I'd present sex education to them in a way that they look foward to it in marriage as a blessing and a privilege, not as a taboo.  I'm going to be very real with them and no topic is off limits.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2009, 08:01:39 AM »
I know this thread is mostly about Bristol, but now I'm starting to wonder about Sarah.

Now unless the baby was born premature, one could ask, could it be they eloped because she was already pregnant?  They say it was because they didn't have the money for a big wedding. Was it?  Now everyone was young once and that doesn't mean she cannot believe that abstinence ONLY education is the right thing, but as a legislator, looking to limit sex ed to only abstinence only education, she may not be the best role model for such a stance.

Things that make you say hmmmm.

And by the way, I've got no problem with abstinence education IN ADDITION to general sex ed.  I have 3 daughters myself and of course I'd want them celibate before marriage, but I'm realistic too.  I would also think I'd present sex education to them in a way that they look foward to it in marriage as a blessing and a privilege, not as a taboo.  I'm going to be very real with them and no topic is off limits.

What if they are lesbians?
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2009, 08:02:43 AM »

Now unless the baby was born premature, one could ask, could it be they eloped because she was already pregnant?  They say it was because they didn't have the money for a big wedding. Was it?  And could the sins of the mother now fall on the daughter?

Now everyone was young once and that doesn't mean she cannot believe that abstinence ONLY education is the right thing, but as a legislator, looking to limit sex ed to only abstinence only education, she may not be the best role model for such a stance.

Good stuff, I agree.

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #154 on: May 08, 2009, 08:03:41 AM »
What if they are lesbians?

Well then that blows that plan doesn't it!?!  ;D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #155 on: May 08, 2009, 08:14:18 AM »

PTB - great comments.

I'm curious if you think that a parent who refuses to teach or allow their children to be taught basic health care such the use condoms (for protection of their health and prevention of unwanted pregnancy) is being irresponsible.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #156 on: May 08, 2009, 08:17:53 AM »
so palin didn't wait til she was married.
neither did her kid.

but everyone else should.  ah, right.  Do as I say, not as I do.  Gotcha.

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #157 on: May 08, 2009, 08:30:30 AM »
PTB - great comments.

I'm curious if you think that a parent who refuses to teach or allow their children to be taught basic health care such the use condoms (for protection of their health and prevention of unwanted pregnancy) is being irresponsible.

Hmm, I'm a bit hesistant to call the use of condoms "basic health care".  Washing your hands and bathing regularly is basic health care.  How a girl should handle it when her period comes is basic health care.  Brushing your teeth, and eating proper meals is basic health care - to me anyway.

You are still looking to educate people on something that they make a voluntary choice to do, which you may not feel is good for them or a necessity at such young ages.  While it may be prudent, especially if you think they could end up having sex, is one thing, but I wouldn't come down too hard on a parent who didn't include that kind of education in their child rearing - especially for religious reasons.  It wouldn't be wise, but it would not be irresponsible or negligent IMHO.

I still think healthy discussions on sex and the role of sex in marriage and relationships IS healthy - regardless of religion, and unfortunately, it is a topic that most churches and religious homes steer away from.  It is much easier to say that fornication is a sin, than it is to educate kids on the possiblities for an erotic and sensual sexual life in their marriages, as outlined in a biblical text like the Songs of Solomon.  Not something a Pastor is too keen on preaching on Sunday morning!  ;D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #158 on: May 08, 2009, 09:07:24 AM »
Hmm, I'm a bit hesistant to call the use of condoms "basic health care".  Washing your hands and bathing regularly is basic health care.  How a girl should handle it when her period comes is basic health care.  Brushing your teeth, and eating proper meals is basic health care - to me anyway.

You are still looking to educate people on something that they make a voluntary choice to do, which you may not feel is good for them or a necessity at such young ages.  While it may be prudent, especially if you think they could end up having sex, is one thing, but I wouldn't come down too hard on a parent who didn't include that kind of education in their child rearing - especially for religious reasons.  It wouldn't be wise, but it would not be irresponsible or negligent IMHO.

I still think healthy discussions on sex and the role of sex in marriage and relationships IS healthy - regardless of religion, and unfortunately, it is a topic that most churches and religious homes steer away from.  It is much easier to say that fornication is a sin, than it is to educate kids on the possiblities for an erotic and sensual sexual life in their marriages, as outlined in a biblical text like the Songs of Solomon.  Not something a Pastor is too keen on preaching on Sunday morning!  ;D

Condoms are also referred to as prophylactic which, by definition is:   "A preventive measure. The word comes from the Greek for "an advance guard," an apt term for a measure taken to fend off a disease or another unwanted consequence."

I'd call it basic health care if someone is sexually active then using a condom can be seen as basic health care and (IMO) if a parent doesn't talk to their kid about this then they are jeopardizing their childs health and possibly life if we're considering HIV or Hepatitis C

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #159 on: May 08, 2009, 09:10:55 AM »

Old news.

The entire nation has already reached the conclusion that Sarah Palin does not practice what she preaches.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2009, 09:12:19 AM »
Old news.

The entire nation has already reached the conclusion that Sarah Palin does not practice what she preaches.

everyone but beach bum ;)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2009, 09:18:11 AM »
everyone but beach bum ;)

The pimp speaks the truth...again. 8)
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2009, 09:47:24 AM »
Deicide.... I saw a fat Korean girl yesterday.

I didn't think those existed?  ???

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2009, 10:00:32 AM »
Deicide.... I saw a fat Korean girl yesterday.

I didn't think those existed?  ???

They exist, just not many of them.
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2009, 10:05:14 AM »
Ever ham-slammed one?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
Ever ham-slammed one?

Not a fat one.
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »
Why not?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2009, 10:12:06 AM »
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2009, 10:14:16 AM »
Would you?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2009, 11:07:50 AM »
It sounds like some, particularly those who don't have kids, have a misconception about what "sex education" really involves.  Contraception is a very small part of sex education.  It's more about values, decision making, intimacy, and relationships.  It's not simply a matter of telling a kid to wait for marriage to have sex, or teaching a kid how to use a condom. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2009, 11:13:23 AM »
For Christians on this board - what is the religious conflict with urging your kids to remain abstinent but also telling them that should have have a  failure of willpower (as humans are prone to do) that they should always take measures to protect their health and future by using a contraceptive (whatever that might be).

I don't see why any parent would have a problem with that

The failure of will is prone to happen whether you have this discussion or not so why not face this reality and make sure your kid is protected?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2009, 11:17:48 AM »
It sounds like some, particularly those who don't have kids, have a misconception about what "sex education" really involves.  Contraception is a very small part of sex education.  It's more about values, decision making, intimacy, and relationships.  It's not simply a matter of telling a kid to wait for marriage to have sex, or teaching a kid how to use a condom. 

you don't need to have your own child to understand sex education or instilling your own personal values (whatever they might be) on your child.

some people (ok one person) on this board who actually have kids don't seem to understand the basic failures of human willpower and their potentially lethal consequences.

It kind of reminds me of the Christian Scientist crowd who has a sick child that can be cured with a simple antibiotic and yet they let their kid die because of a misguided religious belief

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2009, 11:33:36 AM »

i agree.

Show the kid two paths they could take, with 2 real examples.

Surely every family has one couple who waited til they were 25 or 30 to have kids, who stayed together, have a nice house, and live well.

Surely every family as one couple who made a baby at 19, split up, and lived poor in a crappy house, leeching off family as a result.

Show them both examples from an early age, and let them know just how hard life is, when you're knocked up at 18.

And, teach them ways to release the internal tension without filling up some chick with sperm.  Knock one out before the date, and her mouth cannot get pregnant.  It's that simple. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2009, 11:35:07 AM »
you don't need to have your own child to understand sex education or instilling your own personal values (whatever they might be) on your child.

some people (ok one person) on this board who actually have kids don't seem to understand the basic failures of human willpower and their potentially lethal consequences.

It kind of reminds me of the Christian Scientist crowd who has a sick child that can be cured with a simple antibiotic and yet they let their kid die because of a misguided religious belief

This reminds me of a person who doesn't have a driver's license and has never driven a car trying to tell someone how to drive.  But worse. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: May 08, 2009, 11:36:10 AM »
i agree.

Show the kid two paths they could take, with 2 real examples.

Surely every family has one couple who waited til they were 25 or 30 to have kids, who stayed together, have a nice house, and live well.

Surely every family as one couple who made a baby at 19, split up, and lived poor in a crappy house, leeching off family as a result.

Show them both examples from an early age, and let them know just how hard life is, when you're knocked up at 18.

And, teach them ways to release the internal tension without filling up some chick with sperm.  Knock one out before the date, and her mouth cannot get pregnant.  It's that simple. 

Good luck with that.