Author Topic: Is there even a point in going to the cinema anymore?  (Read 7000 times)

JasonH

• Getbig V
Re: Is there even a point in going to the cinema anymore?
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 01:13:22 PM »
I love the cinema - the surround sound and the big screen make watching a movie a proper occasion.

IMAX is cool - I watched The Dark Knight on that baby and you can't recreate that shit in your living room or on your computer monitor.

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 01:15:14 PM »
Big Budget action films MUST be seen on the big screen.

seeing something like The Dark Knight (even though I think it's slightly overrated) on a PC Moniter would suck

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 01:16:37 PM »
Big Budget action films MUST be seen on the big screen.

seeing something like The Dark Knight (even though I think it's slightly overrated) on a PC Moniter would suck

Yep - I can hardly wait for The Expendables to come out - if there's one film to be seen at the cinema, it's that one.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 01:17:19 PM »

Yes, I do, you can't compare watching a movie on the big screen with watching one on your TV.
stop being so cheap  :)

Well, since I am the only getbigger who is not a millionaire, I gotta save.
I hate the State.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 01:19:19 PM »

IMAX is cool - I watched The Dark Knight on that baby and you can't recreate that shit in your living room or on your computer monitor.

The Dark Knight was unreal on IMAX

some cheap bastards on getbig . . .

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2009, 01:19:48 PM »
Watching Wolverine right now...his hoe is hot!
I hate the State.

ASJChaotic

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 01:20:30 PM »
Well, since I am the only getbigger who is not a millionaire, I gotta save.

It's only 10 bucks, watching the screen capture of a great movie like Wolverine on your monitor that is taken by some shaky cam is just sad lol
You can't beat watching a great action movie on the big screen.  :)

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 01:21:09 PM »
Forgot: people texting, people talking, people kicking the back of your seat.....
Just make sure you hit the crackers hood and you won't have that problem ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 01:21:23 PM »
Found it! Alamo Drafthouse: http://www.drafthouse.com/  Apparently. good stuff.

I figure I would have loved it a few years  ago, but I do appreciate the pause function these days.  The best theater I ever saw a flic in was a small el paso theater.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »
Found it! Alamo Drafthouse: http://www.drafthouse.com/  Apparently. good stuff.

I figure I would have loved it a few years  ago, but I do appreciate the pause function these days.  The best theater I ever saw a flic in was a small el paso theater.

Wha?
I hate the State.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 01:24:03 PM »
I love the cinema - the surround sound and the big screen make watching a movie a proper occasion.

Man,when we saw the Dark Knight I had to piss about 10mins into it and held it for the entire film so ill watch it at home when I get the chance,I got it on blueray for xmas but didnt watch it yet

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 01:27:50 PM »
You can get a picture of better quality (full HD) and large enough for cinematic experience (12 feet and more) at home with a good projector. Suround sound is also superior IMO when using Dolby with a good headphone.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 01:31:15 PM »
Man,when we saw the Dark Knight I had to piss about 10mins into it and held it for the entire film so ill watch it at home when I get the chance,I got it on blueray for xmas but didnt watch it yet

Happened to me a few times as well...
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 01:32:16 PM »
You can get a picture of better quality (full HD) and large enough for cinematic experience (12 feet and more) at home with a good projector. Suround sound is also superior IMO when using Dolby with a good headphone.

LOL.

I bet you have that shit set up in your bunker....
I hate the State.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 01:33:59 PM »
LOL.

I bet you have that shit set up in your bunker....

Nopes in my living room :)
Many people ditch their TVs for a projector nowadays, I have lots of friends who did.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 01:34:09 PM »
Wha?
Nothing to wha? about, bro. My Parents go to Las Cruces every Winter. Not far off is El Paso. Now, it sounds cliche and trite, but a lot of the buildings are adobe - just like you see in the movies. Anyway, I saw The GodFather I and II in an adobe theater. Probably the real reason why I now realize those two movies are masterpieces.  :)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 07:38:38 PM »
I think that the major studios are realizing that more and more movie fans will be watching the movies on their computers and that they will be unable to stop it so they will be producing more and more "big event" movies that will be best experienced on a large screen in a good theater

The Arc Light in Los Angeles seems to be doing great business with reserved seats and other assorted non-sense. I had a reserved seat one afternoon when there were only about ten other people in the theater. And someone was there to show me to my seat. We all laughed.

Here's a couple of remarks to see if anyone else agrees .....

Saw Wolverine yesterday and I hated it. Wanted to walk out towards the middle but I figured that any movie making 85 million its first weekend must be good enough to sit through. I sat in my seat till the end and still hated it.

I am looking forward to seeing Start Trek and I never was a Star Trek fan in the least, but the prevues look great so we'll head off to see it tomorrow at one of the Imax theaters here.

Last thought ..... These new 3D movies are great for the first five minutes but then I seem to "forget" the 3D effects and enjoy it just as much as if it was a 2D presentation. Anyone feel the same?

Also looking forward to "The Hangover".

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 07:40:04 PM »
I think that the major studios are realizing that more and more movie fans will be watching the movies on their computers and that they will be unable to stop it so they will be producing more and more "big event" movies that will be best experienced on a large screen in a good theater

The Arc Light in Los Angeles seems to be doing great business with reserved seats and other assorted non-sense. I had a reserved seat one afternoon when there were only about ten other people in the theater. And someone was there to show me to my seat. We all laughed.

Here's a couple of remarks to see if anyone else agrees .....

Saw Wolverine yesterday and I hated it. Wanted to walk out towards the middle but I figured that any movie making 85 million its first weekend must be good enough to sit through. I sat in my seat till the end and still hated it.

I am looking forward to seeing Start Trek and I never was a Star Trek fan in the least, but the prevues look great so we'll head off to see it tomorrow at one of the Imax theaters here.

Last thought ..... These new 3D movies are great for the first five minutes but then I seem to "forget" the 3D effects and enjoy it just as much as if it was a 2D presentation. Anyone feel the same?

Also looking forward to "The Hangover".

hey stunt,

any word on when they're going to remake the movie "Clash of the Titans"??
just not good enough

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 07:45:44 PM »

The Arclight is my favorite theater in LA, always go there for big movies.  I'll go to The Bridge since its closer if it's not a movie I'm overly excited about, they do have some good theaters there as well.

Definitely go see Star Trek you'll love it, and I'm not saying that just because I worked on it either :)

The 3D stuff is still pretty immature, but when James Cameron's Avatar comes out I think that will the the one that really pushes it to where it should be.  Tron 2 is also going to be 3D so that one will definitely be one to watch for next year.  It still has a ways to go as directors get a feel for how to direct the amount of depth each shot should be and getting used to the pipeline of how it works and how to present it to the audience.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 07:53:54 PM »
Squad? There's apparently a Texas theater on tap with great foodstuffs that's apparently amazing. You close enough you know where that is? 

Are you talking about the Alamo Drafthouse in Houston?  It is kinda cool eating a steak and drinking a beer while watching a movie in a theater.
Ron: "I am lazy."

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 07:54:43 PM »
Nope.

better off to spend your money on a good theatre system and watch it at home in your underwear

Imax is worth it though imo.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
Brutal, Clash is either in production or post and should be released next year. Has some pretty major stars in it. Check it out on IMDB. You'll probably find more information there about Clash of the Titans than you really want.

Emmortal, when I was working on Silver Surfer at Giant Studios they were in the process of setting up the next door studio for filming Avatar and I peeked in and took a look but it was all set up for 'green screen" filming.

I have family members working on that movie but they are all sworn to secrecy so we know nothing about it, but with Cameron shooting it, I can guarantee you that it will be a major motion picture.

Is there an official website for that production yet?

About 3D..... I recall seeing a 3D Popeye cartoon many years ago in which a flying saucer appeared on screen and everyone in that theater actually tried to touch it. It really did look like it was three feet in front of your eyes. I haven't seen that great dimensional visual effect in any 3D movie since then.

Emmortal - what job did you have on Star Trek?

Are these big budget motion pictures actually shot with an Imax camera or do they produce the Imax effect during post production in the developing process?

And last question .... how can they show current movies on the internet when it is illegal ? Don't the studios go after them?

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »
Brutal, Clash is either in production or post and should be released next year. Has some pretty major stars in it. Check it out on IMDB. You'll probably find more information there about Clash of the Titans than you really want.

Awesome, thanks  ;)
just not good enough

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2009, 08:35:22 PM »
Speaking about home theaters..... There is a shop in Las Vegas (Summerlin area) that sells in-home theater set ups that go way beyond anything you can experience in a movie theater.

One system even has lounges that "move" in conjunction with what is happening on the screen. I watched while some rocket took off at Cape Canaveral and the chair had all sorts of sensors in it that actually made me feel as though I was along for the ride.

This is probably the next big thing in home theater setups.

Most of the higher priced homes in Las Vegas that are presently on the market include theaters that are damn spectacular. One even had a lobby with a candy and popcorn concession.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:14 PM »
Forgot: people texting, people talking, people kicking the back of your seat.....
Stop going to theaters near the ghetto and these things won't happen.