Author Topic: Need Help (fully aware ripping may occur)  (Read 3140 times)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Need Help (fully aware ripping may occur)
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:17:43 PM »
ok, here is the deal.  I'm a total fatass.  I'm talking 5'6ish 205#, weak ass bowling ball of a guy.  I'm looking to get lean, but strong as I can.  Not looking to get huge, as I think my frame is too small to handle being super muscle bound and heavy.  Looking for a lean, athletic look.  Would like to go back down to 170-175# range.  Thing of importance is that I am weak.  past shoulder and back injuries basically didn't allow me to do much upper body work.  Wondering what kind of program you all think is good.  I want to work out about 5 days a week and keep the weekends for fun activites and some rest.  Let it rip.  Thanks.  I know diet is important, working on that as well, since I am diabetic i have to be careful with carbs.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Need Help (fully aware ripping may occur)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 06:51:34 PM »
shoulders a little tricky and the back is too but you can work around those, i have a bad shoulder and just have to watch what exercises i do and learn to not push it when something doesnt feel right.

If you really want to get lean i might do something like giant sets or super set through your workouts in addition to cardio and diet to help drop extra weight. If i were you i might do one body part a day, chest, back, shoulders, legs, arms and sat and sun off...Iono just throwing that out there.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 07:00:48 PM »
shoulders a little tricky and the back is too but you can work around those, i have a bad shoulder and just have to watch what exercises i do and learn to not push it when something doesnt feel right.

If you really want to get lean i might do something like giant sets or super set through your workouts in addition to cardio and diet to help drop extra weight. If i were you i might do one body part a day, chest, back, shoulders, legs, arms and sat and sun off...Iono just throwing that out there.

hmm ok, i was thinking about back/bi's, chest/tri's, shoulder, legs or something like that.  maybe focusiing on one part at ta itme is better.  Then throw cardio in at the end.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »
hmm ok, i was thinking about back/bi's, chest/tri's, shoulder, legs or something like that.  maybe focusiing on one part at ta itme is better.  Then throw cardio in at the end.
either way, i never liked the back/bi chest/tri workouts but to each their own, supersetting through the workout though should make it more efficient towards your goals.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 07:45:37 PM »
i'm new at this so i might concentrate on one thing at a time. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »
i'm new at this so i might concentrate on one thing at a time. 
very good idea like i always say if its not something you feel comfortable with then you wont be consistent with it maybe just getting in there and starting to workout and adding in supersets or giant sets after a few weeks or so

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 08:18:46 PM »
yeah i need to look at what exercises to do and really kill myself

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 03:03:31 AM »
Train legs Mon, Wed and Fri

20 rep squats or front squats along with other exercises for legs

I've found this helpful for shedding fat.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 07:03:59 AM »

you're an idiot !

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 03:23:09 AM »

you're an idiot !

He's wanting to lose fat, I found it useful for that purpose.

Have you tried it?  No?

Chew on my pubes

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 09:13:58 AM »

20 rep squats or front squats along with other exercises for legs

you're an idiot !

yes and no.  as an olympic lifter, i do squats three times a week, almost always at the end of my workout, 4 sets of doubles of triples.

but it is not possible to do a real 20 rep squat program three times a week, maybe once a week.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 12:51:42 PM »

I basically did the Max OT routine (one per day) then 1hr cardio..in and out in 1hr 45min or so.

I switched up it up though...one week HEAVY (4-6 reps), 2 weeks medium (8-12 reps) and one week high rep (15-20)

For cardio I did swimming (easy on the joints), and punching bag workouts. Shed 5% fat in 4 weeks. (SUPER clean, low carb diet though)

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »
I basically did the Max OT routine (one per day) then 1hr cardio..in and out in 1hr 45min or so.

I switched up it up though...one week HEAVY (4-6 reps), 2 weeks medium (8-12 reps) and one week high rep (15-20)

For cardio I did swimming (easy on the joints), and punching bag workouts. Shed 5% fat in 4 weeks. (SUPER clean, low carb diet though)

what's max OT?

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 08:37:10 PM »
Migs, work out hard and heavy and do some HIIT for cardio and you will lose fat.
Squishy face retard

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 05:55:18 AM »
what's max OT?

Max OT is a program designed by the people at AST.
Two college friends of mine purchased it (before it was available for free download) and sent me a copy some time later. They reported good gains with it.
I never bothered with it because I’m a volume guy, and have tried similar programs with less than favorable results.

“Overload” is a major theme. Big, compound movements in the 4-6 (?) rep range – going from memory here; haven’t looked at it in years. No “pumping” exercises, and very low volume.

They also had protocols for cardio and, I believe, stretching.

You should be able to access the program via their web site:
http://www.ast-ss.com/
I believe Hedgehog also posted links and some other info in the Training Protocols sticky on this board.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 05:29:01 PM »
Max OT is a program designed by the people at AST.
Two college friends of mine purchased it (before it was available for free download) and sent me a copy some time later. They reported good gains with it.
I never bothered with it because I’m a volume guy, and have tried similar programs with less than favorable results.

“Overload” is a major theme. Big, compound movements in the 4-6 (?) rep range – going from memory here; haven’t looked at it in years. No “pumping” exercises, and very low volume.

They also had protocols for cardio and, I believe, stretching.

You should be able to access the program via their web site:
http://www.ast-ss.com/
I believe Hedgehog also posted links and some other info in the Training Protocols sticky on this board.

sweet, thanks

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 08:27:21 AM »
Also..just FYI..

Max OT is for someone who has been training for at least a little while though. Which you have somewhat right? I found that while it works well for strenth gains, not too much growth should be expected. Do expect your joints to ache a  little from the heavy loads.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »
Also..just FYI..

Max OT is for someone who has been training for at least a little while though. Which you have somewhat right? I found that while it works well for strenth gains, not too much growth should be expected. Do expect your joints to ache a  little from the heavy loads.

not really.  been lazy with it

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 04:16:46 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=281066.0

Pumpster..I totally respect you bro but don't you think that P90x is also for those who are fairly active already and are trying to get to the next level?

I tried it and it kicked my ass...and I play semi professional rugby and consider myself active and in fairly good shape. My cousin (who hasn't seen a gym in 6 months) tried it and about had a heart attack..lol

Miggs..P90X is AWESOME for fat loss / cutting up...but it's VERY intense. If you can't run a 8 min mile at the moment....it might hurt to jump right into P90X

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2009, 10:48:21 PM »
i think anyone can use it, in fact those who aren't active will of course see more drastic results. They'll be the ones most wiped out and sore-because the body's been lazy and out of shape for so long and is suddenly challenged.

The only caveat would be the usual "see your doctor first" idea before embarking on a program to try to ensure an out of shape system can handle it and see whether there are any propensities existing that could creat probs ie heart attack waiting to happen.

Then if you want a gentler, easier transition in to it, wade in slowly the first weeks. Do some jogging/walking, work running in to it until it's all running after weeks of it. Do some calisthenics, etc. - moderation at the beginning, accelerate the intensity, sets and reps over a period of time to mitigate the shock and health risks to someone out of shape.

Not only will it give someone the most athletic/muscular look, the program can be skewed towards greater size thru tweaks in the routines and increasing the resistance in calisthenics and weight/resistance band exercises.

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 08:37:18 PM »
rofl 8 minute mile.  I'm not freakin kenyan.  i could roll an 8 minute mile though. 

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 08:45:48 AM »
rofl 8 minute mile.  I'm not freakin kenyan.  i could roll an 8 minute mile though. 

You'd be a slow Kenyan at 8 min. Several are known to do 4-5 min miles consistantly for a marathon!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
ok, here is the deal.  I'm a total fatass.  I'm talking 5'6ish 205#, weak ass bowling ball of a guy.  I'm looking to get lean, but strong as I can.  Not looking to get huge, as I think my frame is too small to handle being super muscle bound and heavy.  Looking for a lean, athletic look.  Would like to go back down to 170-175# range.  Thing of importance is that I am weak.  past shoulder and back injuries basically didn't allow me to do much upper body work.  Wondering what kind of program you all think is good.  I want to work out about 5 days a week and keep the weekends for fun activites and some rest.  Let it rip.  Thanks.  I know diet is important, working on that as well, since I am diabetic i have to be careful with carbs.

Given what I know about you, I think a Zone type diet (PM me if you want specifics) would suit you well along with a 3Xweek full body routine and cardio everyday (5 days)
:

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 11:44:02 AM »
P90 is tough.  I finished it on April 18.  I've worked out with weights for years. Not much bodyfat.
Lost about 8 lbs on the program, simply because I was burning so many extra calories per day.

I did not follow their diet plan and still tried to eat 5-6 times a day.

I'm back on heavy training, looking to add on 10lbs of muscle.  Then sometime in June, I'll do a round 2 of the program.
From now on, I will definatley cycle my training between the 2 progams.