Author Topic: Nevada governor turns down Obama airport meeting  (Read 1967 times)

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
Re: Nevada governor turns down Obama airport meeting
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 01:03:29 PM »
Thats funny you bring up North Korea because Obama saw fit to go golfing yesterday rather than address that problem. 

Obama says he's going to talk to N. Korea.

I don't think he's been able to figure out what exactly to say yet or that'll he might have to actually do something when talking fails.. again.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
I think that was the book GWB read in the classroom after 9/11 happened. 

Ah so.  What the heck does that have to do with the Nevada governor and whether Obama has time to meet with him??  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 03:50:19 PM »
Obama says he's going to talk to N. Korea.

I don't think he's been able to figure out what exactly to say yet or that'll he might have to actually do something when talking fails.. again.

he's waiting for tony mctones' strategy.

So far, Obama knows he'll need a proactive approach to thinking outside the box.  more to come!

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 03:56:50 PM »
Ah so.  What the heck does that have to do with the Nevada governor and whether Obama has time to meet with him?? 

That's not why he brought it up. You co-signed 33!%$*!!1111!!! when he bashed Obama for deigning to go golfing yesterday. What exactly you or he expected the president to do, I have no idea.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »
he's waiting for tony mctones' strategy.

So far, Obama knows he'll need a proactive approach to thinking outside the box.  more to come!

LOLZ!

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 04:17:56 PM »
From the article:

He again called on Obama to publicly promote Nevada tourism, and to apologize for his remark that business leaders receiving money from the government "can’t get corporate jets. You can’t go take a trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on the taxpayer’s dime,” blaming the president for the recent cancellation of hundreds of conventions and other meetings originally scheduled to take place in Las Vegas, and the loss of more than $100 million in revenue.

Hundreds of events were cancelled after the speech.

That's grandstanding from a partisan blowhard. Those numbers have no relation to Obama's speech. The speech took place in February. Here are excerpts from a report on the January economy in LV:

Report: Las Vegas tourism tumbles 11.9 percent in January

The LVCVA statistical report said in January there were 1,368 meetings, 19.5 percent fewer than in January 2008, and attendance at those shows was 538,415, 20.6 percent off from the previous year.

But the lower average daily room rate and the reduced citywide resort occupancy were even more troubling for industry observers. Weekend occupancy was down 3.2 points to 79.7 percent and midweek occupancy was down 18.1 points to 67.6 percent. Just two years ago, Las Vegas enjoyed occupancy rates in the high 80s and low 90s.

The average daily room rate hit $104.89, creeping toward $100, a level that hasn’t been seen in Las Vegas ADR since December 2005.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/10/tourism-las-vegas-falls-119-percent-january/

Gibbons is a lying, self-serving asshole.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 04:38:52 PM »
That's not why he brought it up. You co-signed 33!%$*!!1111!!! when he bashed Obama for deigning to go golfing yesterday. What exactly you or he expected the president to do, I have no idea.

I'm still not sure why he brought up "My Pet Goat," but 3333's comments about golfing were in response to 240 saying the president was too busy.

What I expect the president to do is not make irresponsible public comments that could hurt a state's economy, then refuse to meet with the governor of that state to try and rectify irresponsible comments.  But it's wishful thinking.  We saw during the campaign that Obama does not admit mistakes very easily.  That's a sign of poor leadership. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 05:14:17 PM »
Report: Las Vegas tourism tumbles 11.9 percent in January

The LVCVA statistical report said in January there were 1,368 meetings, 19.5 percent fewer than in January 2008, and attendance at those shows was 538,415, 20.6 percent off from the previous year.

But the lower average daily room rate and the reduced citywide resort occupancy were even more troubling for industry observers. Weekend occupancy was down 3.2 points to 79.7 percent and midweek occupancy was down 18.1 points to 67.6 percent. Just two years ago, Las Vegas enjoyed occupancy rates in the high 80s and low 90s.

The average daily room rate hit $104.89, creeping toward $100, a level that hasn’t been seen in Las Vegas ADR since December 2005.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2009/mar/10/tourism-las-vegas-falls-119-percent-january/

Gibbons is a lying, self-serving asshole.

hahahaha gibbons = owned.

blaming his own economic shit on obama is a bitch move.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »
I'm still not sure why he brought up "My Pet Goat," but 3333's comments about golfing were in response to 240 saying the president was too busy.

What I expect the president to do is not make irresponsible public comments that could hurt a state's economy, then refuse to meet with the governor of that state to try and rectify irresponsible comments.  But it's wishful thinking.  We saw during the campaign that Obama does not admit mistakes very easily.  That's a sign of poor leadership. 

240 didn't say the President was too busy; he said the President had more important issues to deal with than some delusional mayor's fabulations. 33!@# said " Obama went golfing rather than address the NKorea situation", as if tpotus should be expected to handle the situation within a matter of days, foregoing sleep and recreation in the process. 240 brought up the "My Pet Goat" fiasco as a point of comparison- an example of a truly urgent situation which was handled horrifically.

While you may feel that Obama's comments were irresponsible (I disagree; in context they were perfectly appropriate), what Gibbons is doing is nothing but grandstanding. Las Vegas' own tourist committee admits that the city (like the rest of America) had been hit hard financially PRIOR to Obama's speech, yet  Gibbons is attempting to transform eight words that were probably ignored by the majority of the country into the sole reason behind Las Vegas' current economic struggles. That's bullshit. What I don't expect of the President is for him to feel obligated to participate in a completely transparent game of political charades.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 05:52:31 PM »
240 didn't say the President was too busy; he said the President had more important issues to deal with than some delusional mayor's fabulations. 33!@# said " Obama went golfing rather than address the NKorea situation", as if tpotus should be expected to handle the situation within a matter of days, foregoing sleep and recreation in the process. 240 brought up the "My Pet Goat" fiasco as a point of comparison- an example of a truly urgent situation which was handled horrifically.

While you may feel that Obama's comments were irresponsible (I disagree; in context they were perfectly appropriate), what Gibbons is doing is nothing but grandstanding. Las Vegas' own tourist committee admits that the city (like the rest of America) had been hit hard financially PRIOR to Obama's speech, yet  Gibbons is attempting to transform eight words that were probably ignored by the majority of the country into the sole reason behind Las Vegas' current economic struggles. That's bullshit. What I don't expect of the President is for him to feel obligated to participate in a completely transparent game of political charades.

The "My Pet Goat" comments have nothing to do with this situation.  Who cares about that conspiracy theory nonsense? 

I agree with 3333's comments about Obama not being too busy.  He wasn't/isn't.  This isn't a "mayor" asking for a meeting.  It's a governor who is justifiably upset over comments from the most powerful man in the country.  Sure the president can do whatever he wants, meet with whomever he wants, make whatever reckless comments he wants, etc.  He can do that because he has zero accountability when he abuses the bully pulpit. 

The decline in tourism statistics don't dispel the governor's allegations at all.  There could have easily been an ongoing overall decline, and the cancellation of hundreds of conventions following Obama's comments. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 06:03:11 PM »
The "My Pet Goat" comments have nothing to do with this situation.  Who cares about that conspiracy theory nonsense? 

it's not really a conspiracy theory that he read that children's book for 7.5 minutes after being given news of "The second tower has been hit mr prez - america is under attack".

it's kinda a fact.  There is a lot of video of it.  And pics too. 

You don't really know much about the days events on 911, BB, do you?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 06:07:48 PM »
it's not really a conspiracy theory that he read that children's book for 7.5 minutes after being given news of "The second tower has been hit mr prez - america is under attack".

it's kinda a fact.  There is a lot of video of it.  And pics too. 

You don't really know much about the days events on 911, BB, do you?

I care more about the vog clearing up and not interfering with my view than that 911 garbage, which again has zero to do with the governor of Nevada.   

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 06:21:39 PM »
What "conspiracy theory nonsense" are you talking about? 240 compared Bush's poor reaction during the 9/11 attacks to Obama's reaction yesterday. It's not rocket science.

I agree with 3333's comments about Obama not being too busy.  He wasn't/isn't.  This isn't a "mayor" asking for a meeting.  It's a governor who is justifiably upset over comments from the most powerful man in the country.  Sure the president can do whatever he wants, meet with whomever he wants, make whatever reckless comments he wants, etc.  He can do that because he has zero accountability when he abuses the bully pulpit. 
It's not a matter of being too busy- it's a matter of this issue being completely unimportant.

The decline in tourism statistics don't dispel the governor's allegations at all.  There could have easily been an ongoing overall decline, and the cancellation of hundreds of conventions following Obama's comments. 

Yes, the tourism statistics  DO dispel the governor's allegations because the report I linked to specifically states that the numbers the governor is using include figures  dating back to the fourth quarter of 2008. So, even if you want to make the argument that all of the cancellations following Obama's comments were completely due to that event, the numbers the governor is using include financial data from the fourth quarter of 2008. Furthermore, the report in your initial post doesn't simply say that those cancellations occurred, it states that the governor BLAMES the president for those cancellations. So, once again, a documented downward trend DOES dispel those allegations.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 06:39:31 PM »
What "conspiracy theory nonsense" are you talking about? 240 compared Bush's poor reaction during the 9/11 attacks to Obama's reaction yesterday. It's not rocket science.
It's not a matter of being too busy- it's a matter of this issue being completely unimportant.

Yes, the tourism statistics  DO dispel the governor's allegations because the report I linked to specifically states that the numbers the governor is using include figures  dating back to the fourth quarter of 2008. So, even if you want to make the argument that all of the cancellations following Obama's comments were completely due to that event, the numbers the governor is using include financial data from the fourth quarter of 2008. Furthermore, the report in your initial post doesn't simply say that those cancellations occurred, it states that the governor BLAMES the president for those cancellations. So, once again, a documented downward trend DOES dispel those allegations.

Where have you been?  He injects that 911 crap into as many discussions as possible.  That's why the "Pet Goat" comments were made.  Bush's reaction has zero to do with this situation, but I've said that already. 

I read the link.  It does not dispel the governor's comments.  It says nothing about the number of conventions cancelled after Obama's comments.

A documented downward trend does not mean that there were not 400 cancellations after Obama's comments.   

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 07:16:34 PM »
Where have you been?  He injects that 911 crap into as many discussions as possible.  That's why the "Pet Goat" comments were made.  Bush's reaction has zero to do with this situation, but I've said that already. 

I read the link.  It does not dispel the governor's comments.  It says nothing about the number of conventions cancelled after Obama's comments.

A documented downward trend does not mean that there were not 400 cancellations after Obama's comments.   

The governor states that the cancellations are Obama's fault and that he should apologize for them. The existence of increasing cancellations prior to Obama's comments strongly suggests that his comments had little, if any, effect on the trend. Therefore, the existence of the trend, not just for Vegas but for the entire country, DOES in fact dispel the governor's assertion that Obama's comments hurt the economy and that he should apologize for them.

And, 240 made no references to conspiracy theories. He made a very transparent comparison of how poorly Bush handled the half hour following the 9/11 attacks to how Obama spent Memorial Day. He didn't make the claim that Bush's reaction had anything to do with this situation. Obama golfing has nothing to do with this situation or NKorea's missile tests, either. That was sort of the point. Obama didn't limit Gibbons' meeting to an airport handjob because he COULDN'T squeeze more time in. He did so because he shouldn't. He gave him a courtesy meeting because he is a governor, but the gov's assertions are idiotic and laughable. Obama clearly doesn't and shouldn't feel obligated to squeeze this clown into his schedule for anymore than a few minutes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 11:52:35 AM »
So I saw a snippet of Obama in Nevada this morning.  Giving a campaign speech.  He's in Nevada to attend a campaign rally.  Such a busy man.   ::)

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 12:09:35 PM »
So I saw a snippet of Obama in Nevada this morning.  Giving a campaign speech.  He's in Nevada to attend a campaign rally.  Such a busy man.   ::)

Once again: the issue isn't whether or not he CAN fit the governor into his busy schedule.It's whether or not he should. He decided the gov's bullshit was only worth a handshake meeting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 12:14:41 PM »
Once again: the issue isn't whether or not he CAN fit the governor into his busy schedule.It's whether or not he should. He decided the gov's bullshit was only worth a handshake meeting.

That's your viewpoint.  Once again (and not again after this):  I think the issue is whether the president--who has access to the entire country whenever he speaks--should make reckless comments that harms a state's economy, then refuse to meet with the governor of that state to help cure his irresponsible comments.  What Obama has shown, as a candidate and now as president, is that he is unwilling to admit mistakes.  I hope he improves, but this situation doesn't give me much hope. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »
His comments didn't harm the state's economy and weren't reckless in context.Companies accepting bailout money from the government shouldn't spend that money on recreational trips.  He has admitted mistakes in the past. I don't see that as one of his problems.