Author Topic: Sotomayor is a member of La Raza - ABA  (Read 5033 times)

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Re: Sotomayor is a member of La Raza - ABA
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2009, 06:55:20 AM »
Independents can lean liberal or conservative without being a blind party affiliate.  I often lean conservative on issues (particularly economic, taxation and gov influence into our private lives) but don't follow any republican party line.  I don't care for the 2 party system at all, which pits us against one another without openly examining issues.  I may not comment as much on more liberal thoughts that I agree with, perhaps I am not as passionate on some of them or they have had enough recent public support in criticizm....ie the Iraq war (which was a disaster).  I am also far from a right winged religious zealot.  The country has shifted left.  I identify most closely with Ron Paul, whatever label you want to assign to that.  Libertarian/conservative perhaps.

As far as credibility, no one on this board is omnipotant and for you to criticize my 'credibility' without knowing much about me personally or professionally shows immaturity.  Like everyone here, I am in a constant state of learning...but that doesn't prevent me from commenting on my life's experiences, educated opinions or wisdom I have gained.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2009, 07:05:53 AM »
There must be confusion on La Raza (or likely differing opinions within the organization... and some one sided info from people here).  Not to say that La Raza doesn't have some worthy goals but they at very least questionable with certain strong opinions.  240, where do you get that La Raza is not a pro-amnesty group?  There are articles all over the place from La Raza officials advocating amnesty and a loosening of the border, in addition to heavy criticizm of state and local enforcement of anti-illegal immigration laws.

Sonia Sotomayor 'La Raza member'
American Bar Association lists Obama choice as part of group
By Joe Kovacs
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

As President Obama's Supreme Court nominee comes under heavy fire for allegedly being a "racist," Judge Sonia Sotomayor is listed as a member of the National Council of La Raza, a group that's promoted driver's licenses for illegal aliens, amnesty programs, and no immigration law enforcement by local and state police.

According the American Bar Association, Sotomayor is a member of the NCLR, which bills itself as the largest national Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the U.S.

Meaning "the Race," La Raza also has connections to groups that advocate the separation of several southwestern states from the rest of America.

Over the past two days, Sotomayor has been heavily criticized for her racially charged statement: "I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experience would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

The remark was actually made during a 2001 speech at the University of California's Berkeley School of Law. The lecture was published the following year in the Berkeley La Raza Law Journal.
-------------------------

"Founded in 1968 as the Southwest Council of La Raza, the National Council of La Raza (NCLR) is the largest national Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States. It works "to improve opportunities for Hispanic Americans," who are, in its estimation and definition, an oppressed minority that suffers much injustice and discrimination in American society"

"Many members of LaRaza have pushed an open-border policy".  They have also backed the Fairness Doctrine
--------------------------

U.S. Rep. King: Pro-amnesty group receives $950,000 in omnibus
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Congressman Steve King today made the following comments about a $950,000 earmark for the National Council of La Raza, a pro-amnesty organization, in the omnibus spending bill that passed the House Wednesday and is currently under consideration in the Senate.

“Hard-working Americans ought to be outraged that this liberal spending spree includes a giveaway to a pro-amnesty group,” King said. “American taxpayers do not support La Raza’s agenda or its position in support of amnesty for illegal aliens. At a time of great economic unrest, the last thing Congress should be doing is handing out cash to apologists for immigration law breakers.”

The $950,000 earmark for La Raza is in the Transportation/HUD portion of the omnibus bill. The funds are designated for “capitalization of a revolving loan fund to be used for nationwide community development activities.”

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2009, 07:22:55 AM »
Few will argue against the evils of historical discrimination (and if they do, they are ignorant).  Discrimination has come from many groups against many different peoples.  Many forget that Africans were oppressed and discriminated against by their own people and by the Spanish Moors, who were the most powerful force early in the slave trades. 

The important issue is how to overcome discrimination and create better societies.  We cannot accomplish this easily with policies that look to correct past wrongs by reverse discrimination.  This creates a victimhood and entitlement mindset and creates new resentment by younger generations who see preferential treatment and two sets of standards without experiencing the same institutional racism of the past.  We also must not feel embarrassed or guilty to criticize maladaptive behavior and culture for fear of being labeled racist, which is the case now

I would argue that in this day, blacks have been given at least as many or more opportunities compared to the discrimination that still exists from an institutional perspective because of Affirmative Action and attempting to 'right past wrongs'.  There will always be some personal/individual discrimination based on sex, skin color, age, height, body habitus, religion, employment, etc.  A society looks to appropriately punish (and correct) institutional racism but shouldn't create policies that cause more problems or continue the same behaviors in a different manner.  We shouldn't continue to force people into separate groups with different rules.  What is 'white' anyway...white people are the most diverse group of people in the world, different skin shades, cultures, traditions, languages.  Many 'white' people have far more in common with asains, hispanics or blacks based on common interests, language and cultures.  I disagree there is still a universal grand scale 'white advantage'...tell that to russian immigrants and see what they say (I know many).  Skills and competence shine most highly in the workplace, particularly in a capitalistic society...the color with most meaning is green.

I would also point out that the media and whole entertainment industry have pushed black Americans preferentially in the last 1-2 decades, an opportunity not granted to any other minority group in such force.  Media defines culture and there have been incredible shifts the past 2 decades that place young black Americans ahead of other groups.