Author Topic: In the fear of bench press...  (Read 7404 times)

Method101

• Getbig V
Re: In the fear of bench press...
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2009, 01:11:46 PM »
if you do atleast 8 reps with good form there is no way you will  tear your chest if you are natural.

And theres no point ever going over 315 for reps, your chest won't get any bigger at that point anyway.

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »
Many people "not all, but many" bash the bench press not because it is a shitty exercise, but because they suck at it.  It's far from a worthless exercise.  However it is not a mandatory exercise to build a big chest just as free bar squats are not mandatory to build big legs nor are standard deadlifts mandatory to build a big back.  

Find what works for you.  If you find benefit from the flat bench, do it.  If you don't, then substitute something else.  Simple.

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »
I don't feel like my chest gets thoroughly worked unless I do flat barbell work. I feel that it hits my entire chest thoroughly. I was one of those that got caught up in the weights rather than the true feel of my muscle fibers in my chest contracting in the movement. Just two weeks ago I changed my rest periods down to 60-90 seconds and really started focusing on the feel. Although the weights are down a little from this, the workouts are a lot better. But, yeah, no idea why a lot of bodybuilders these days shy away from it. A lot of my lifting friends do it just for that reason though (well..if so and so doesn't do flat bench, I don't need to either) and usually do barbell incline, flat db, incline db,etc. I still do these movements too, but I've honestly tried this (taking out the flat bench) and notice my chest losing thickness/full look over that time.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »
if you do atleast 8 reps with good form there is no way you will  tear your chest if you are natural.

And theres no point ever going over 315 for reps, your chest won't get any bigger at that point anyway.
Nice Point.....

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 02:59:21 PM »

if your able to bench 315 for 12, then its time to use more weight.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
I love benching never used the smith machine and never will - the problem is that a lot of people bench with their ego

Jeffro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 04:24:42 PM »
For all of you saying that flat bench sucks and that it involves high risk of injury, what other exercises are you using instead to build your big beefy chests?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 04:33:20 PM »
benchpress has been called the squats for upper body  by many pro's so...  ;D

Dips.

Any exercise is dangerous when done incorrectly.

I've had more shoulder issues from incline.

8)

Neptune100

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 04:33:52 PM »
I love benching never used the smith machine and never will - the problem is that a lot of people bench with their ego

Very true. Some people see results from bench pressing, others dont. It depends on your build.  Individuals with long arms get much better pectoral stretching when using dumbbells rather than barbells.  Some people use way too much weight and hurt themselves, and steroid users who use heavy weights tend to tear their pec muscles because their ligaments cant hold up. Usually you cant use as much weight during inclines, plus inclines work the upper pecs which is a normally a lagging body part for most individuals.  This kind of tearing also occurs during other exercises with heavy weight.  Personally I've experienced great results form both dumbbell and barbell usage, if you use on or the other you cant go wrong in building a quality chest.

BTW I bench pressed 300 pounds 7 times today, not bad for 4 weeks back into it using a push pull routine.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 10:35:10 PM »
Why so many guys claim "I dont do flat bench anymore, i might tear my chest", "i do only inclines", "I prefer dumbells" and so on.....why avoiding the barbell bench press?

As if they are going to end their "bb career". 

Anyway i did flat bench on Monday first exercise and it felt great.

The bench press is the best exercise for neuromuscular efficiency and overall strengh, but it takes a lot longer to pack on mass on the chest than machine movements and smith machine. It takes months for your nervous system to "learn" how to perform the exercise in a way that recruits the most muscle fibers. It gives you a strengh increase in your tris, delts, abs and forearms that no other exercise gives, but the gains in size are slower than with isolation exercises. You can't have a great chest with only the bench press, but you can't have one without it! Even though it takes longer, only the bench press with a free barbell gives the chest thickness. The other exericises makes your chest wider, but only the bench(or dips) with a free barbell or dumbbells hit the deep fibers responsible for thickness. You can't look good in the side chest mandatory if you don't bench with either barbells or dumbbells!

SUCKMYMUSCLE

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 11:09:03 PM »
The thought of doing a bench press makes my cock hard.
P

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2009, 12:28:32 AM »
its not about the excercise, Its about EMBARASMENT,some of them fail to perform the excercise correctly,regardless of weight
Truth :)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2009, 01:33:42 AM »
I like Bench Press.
No doubt about it...

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2009, 02:07:31 AM »
I like Bench Press.

How much you bench stud.
P

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2009, 02:11:20 AM »
How much you bench stud.

1 R.M = 150kg. Did it about a month ago.
No doubt about it...

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2009, 02:14:19 AM »
1 R.M = 150kg. Did it about a month ago.

Hahahaha get the fuck outa here! Those twigs you call arms couldnt even get 150 off the rack.
P

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2009, 02:19:01 AM »
Hahahaha get the fuck outa here! Those twigs you call arms couldnt even get 150 off the rack.

I am a level 1 strength and conditioning coach. Part of getting said qualification was obviously learning/teaching 1 Rep Max training. As said, when putting theory into practice, i got 150kg for 1 rep. I had help with the lift off and had 2 spotters each side, but they didn't touch it during the eccentric/concentric phase.

Obviously during my normal training i do not go that heavy. I train chest tomorrow and will probably go up to 120kg.
No doubt about it...

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2009, 02:23:38 AM »
I am a level 1 strength and conditioning coach. Part of getting said qualification was obviously learning/teaching 1 Rep Max training. As said, when putting theory into practice, i got 150kg for 1 rep. I had help with the lift off and had 2 spotters each side, but they didn't touch it during the eccentric/concentric phase.

Obviously during my normal training i do not go that heavy. I train chest tomorrow and will probably go up to 120kg.

Hahahahaha absolute bull shit! post a video!

The only way you could bench press 150kg is if you did 15kg 10 times.
P

io856

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2009, 02:25:30 AM »
webcke is natural right?

no way he is putting up 150kgs  unless he has arm length that goes to hips i.e. midget arms

if true WTF??

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2009, 02:29:01 AM »
Hahahahaha absolute bull shit! post a video!

The only way you could bench press 150kg is if you did 15kg 10 times.

Why would i have filmed it  ???

I was being assessed by a national level olympic weight lifting coach, so it was quite a serious ordeal.

I never claimed i could do it again. In fact i doubt i could. Nor do i have any desire to do it again. I had 3 attempts before i got 150. I thought my 150 wouldn't count, but the teacher said "just". I could give a fuck whether you believe me or not, Jamie.  ::)

I was 102kg when i did it. If you think that is so impressive then you really need to see what some guys are capable of lifting.......
No doubt about it...

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2009, 02:30:29 AM »
webcke is natural right?

no way he is putting up 150kgs  unless he has arm length that goes to hips i.e. midget arms

if true WTF??

Hardly putting up. Once. Got help with the lift off, lowered it myself, pushed it up, they helped me re rack it. I was 102kg when i did it. Assessed by a national level olympic weight lifting coach when i did it. It wasn't mucking around in the gym with my mates.
No doubt about it...

io856

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2009, 02:30:45 AM »

I was being assessed by a national level olympic weight lifting coach, so it was quite a serious ordeal.

I never claimed i could do it again. In fact i doubt i could. Nor do i have any desire to do it again. I had 3 attempts before i got 150. I thought my 150 wouldn't count, but the teacher said "just". I could give a fuck whether you believe me or not, Jamie.  ::)

I was 102kg when i did it. If you think that is so impressive then you really need to see what some guys are capable of lifting.......
Its impressive no matter what other people are doing

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2009, 02:32:33 AM »
This is 150kg including the bar........just so you know. 3 20's and a 5 each side.
No doubt about it...

io856

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2009, 02:33:14 AM »
This is 150kg including the bar........just so you know. 3 20's and a 5 each side.
lol I have been to a gym before

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2009, 02:34:06 AM »

Even by your standards, these lies are pathetic.

Video or bullshit.
P