Author Topic: Who were the top 10 bodybuilders from 1976-1979?  (Read 23589 times)

wild willie

• Getbig V
Re: Who were the top 10 bodybuilders from 1976-1979?
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2009, 10:22:56 AM »
dude
i will speak to you
as Hazbin will not'
he is a gentleman
I am not
You have no knowledge
have not competed for many years
as we have
you are a fan-boy

that is all
hey dude.......did you make the stupid statement or not????? how would you know about my competitive past???? i don't know you???? are you claiming to know me????? i don't know you or your past......how the hell could you know mine???? answer the question though.......it is right here for you to review.....

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2009, 08:05:05 PM »
you should not takes things so literally
'wild'
unless you want a bridge that I am selling

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2009, 11:58:11 AM »
i've been rereading my 1970-1975 Muscle Builder mags. it is a shame (sham?) that Frank Zane was winning the Olympia when Sergio and Serge Nubret were blacklisted from the IFBB.

Joe Weider had countless articles calling Sergio the headless chicken, saying he was living proof that a man could live without a brain. actually horrible the mudslinging Weider did to athletes and other affiliations.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2009, 11:11:46 AM »
i've been rereading my 1970-1975 Muscle Builder mags. it is a shame (sham?) that Frank Zane was winning the Olympia when Sergio and Serge Nubret were blacklisted from the IFBB.

Joe Weider had countless articles calling Sergio the headless chicken, saying he was living proof that a man could live without a brain. actually horrible the mudslinging Weider did to athletes and other affiliations.

I agree on Sergio O. Not Nubret...he had not the leg development to best Zane...and no lat spread....but who knows....otherwise he had 'it'

ChAoSandPAIN

• Getbig II
  • I am my motherfucking self. Alone.
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2009, 03:05:52 PM »
The use of multiple emoticons in an internet dispute should be punishable by death.

Chris Dickerson should not be included in any conversation about "great" bodybuilders.  He was tiny, and had no competition.
Unstoppable.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2009, 10:44:07 AM »
The use of multiple emoticons in an internet dispute should be punishable by death.

Chris Dickerson should not be included in any conversation about "great" bodybuilders.  He was tiny, and had no competition.

But he looked much better than you

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2009, 10:55:15 AM »
 :o

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2009, 08:25:49 PM »
  Very underated. Didn't have many weaknesses, and what he did have, he had in spades. (No rascist comments, just seemed the best way to say it, lol.)

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2009, 07:34:24 PM »
  Very underated. Didn't have many weaknesses, and what he did have, he had in spades. (No rascist comments, just seemed the best way to say it, lol.)

did not have the best legs
but not many of his time did

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2009, 04:20:14 AM »

Hi Moosejay
I hate the State.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2009, 07:40:49 AM »

my friend, please obtain a copy of the video titled "The Comeback".....it is also called "Total Rebuild"......you will see Dickerson onstage against Arnold and company back in 80.......Chris had great triceps.....back detail......and arguably the greatest calves EVER!!!!!!!!!!! Furthermore......the man was Mr. O 1982.......give him some credit!!!!!!!IMHO

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2009, 07:42:57 AM »
hazbin is spot on.....Robby was unreal......it is a crime that he never won an olympia title......he should have won at least 2 Sandows in the late 70s!!!! IMHO

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2009, 01:17:34 PM »
hazbin is spot on.....Robby was unreal......it is a crime that he never won an olympia title......he should have won at least 2 Sandows in the late 70s!!!! IMHO

agreed. as well as several Grand Prix events and a few more Night of Champions. and should have beat Gaspari at the inaugeral Arnold Classic.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2009, 01:18:59 PM »
my friend, please obtain a copy of the video titled "The Comeback".....it is also called "Total Rebuild"......you will see Dickerson onstage against Arnold and company back in 80.......Chris had great triceps.....back detail......and arguably the greatest calves EVER!!!!!!!!!!! Furthermore......the man was Mr. O 1982.......give him some credit!!!!!!!IMHO

i remember reading Chris saying his brother (triplets if i remember) had  better calves than he did.

Matarrazo said the same thing about his dad.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2009, 11:02:05 PM »
  His thighs were really good- great seperation and hamstrings (esecially when he was at his peak). You're right though in that his calves were limited as they were quite high. I don't have any pics right now to post.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2009, 04:34:41 AM »
  His thighs were really good- great seperation and hamstrings (esecially when he was at his peak). You're right though in that his calves were limited as they were quite high. I don't have any pics right now to post.

they were good...but he did need a bit more muscle around the lower quads/knee area...just nit picking!

johnny1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2009, 06:52:14 AM »
The Black Prince

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »
he should have lost the big ole 'fro

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2009, 12:58:24 AM »
Spoke to Robinson backstage at the 76 universe. Even amongst other very good BBs on stage, he stood out. The fact that he never won the olympia proves once again the politics of the show, in fact it's surprising to me that the olympia has any integrity remaining given some of the "wins".

Even in 76 Columbu was never the world's best built man, but thanks to politics there was no Oliva or Nubret, both of whom would've cleaned his clock and beaten Zane as well.

Weider lost most of the top BBs in the late 70s and early 80s to retirement or defection, because they were tired of working hard to no avail. Padilla, Szkalak were top guys who left, as well as Mentzer, Robinson, etc. If Weider had played it fairly the olympia would've been far more interesting well into the 80s, with some strong rivalries created and sustained that were otherwise cut short thanks to his nonsense.

The classic argument trottered out here and elsewhere for Zane beating Robinson was conditioning. While this was true in 77, it wasn't true the following year but remains the standard excuse for Zane's win, as seen here.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/mr.%252Bolympia/video/x2s3jd_mr-olympia-1978_extreme

Bottom line for some who should've won but didn't, such as Robinson and Fox is that Weider wanted good spokesmen for the "sport", which is entirely understandable but not part of the judging criterion. It should be because it's a clear factor. Fox would've won outright in 83 had he been shredded, but even a little smooth he was still one of the top two or three on stage at the very least-as proportioned and cut as Samir but bigger, and clearly better than Haney-once again they went with the more eloquent BBs.

Grymko was interesting but never a serious contender thanks to a lack of proportion (arms overpowered by delts and torso, wide waist, legs lacking) and an absence of aesthetics or  detail. What i'll remember him most for were the first-ever in depth roid/gh articles he was part of in Muscle in the later 70s.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2009, 01:29:37 AM »

They were pretty good considering they weren't a strong point. In person what you saw that might not be obvious in pics is insanely huge hamstrings. Thighs had good size and sweep, just a little smooth. Calves were decent-not great and not terrible either.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2009, 06:07:13 PM »
They were pretty good considering they weren't a strong point. In person what you saw that might not be obvious in pics is insanely huge hamstrings. Thighs had good size and sweep, just a little smooth. Calves were decent-not great and not terrible either.

Yes
I saw him at his best in 79
hams just popped out of his sweats

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2009, 11:42:14 PM »
Dickerson has been an acquaintance thru a mutual friend since 1980, from back in the golden days of NYC. Also used to see him regularly at one of the only hardcore Manhattan gyms we went to in the late 70s. I would group him with Larry Scott, Bill Pearl and others as part of the more refined and cultured old guard that for the most part doesn't exist anymore. Erudite and refined, Dickerson's the kind of BB Weider would always prefer to win. Not to say that Dickerson was perfect though, like Scott I can imagine him being a little snippy from time to time but the overall impression is one of quality and depth, a good spokesman for the sport. These days it seems to me that most of the BBs with those qualities are not Americans.

Exactly the problem with guys who were physically deserving, like Robinson and others-the fro, the persona were not appreciated when it came to perceptions as to what a winner should be.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2009, 07:31:55 PM »
Dickerson has been an acquaintance thru a mutual friend since 1980, from back in the golden days of NYC. Also used to see him regularly at one of the only hardcore Manhattan gyms we went to in the late 70s. I would group him with Larry Scott, Bill Pearl and others as part of the more refined and cultured old guard that for the most part doesn't exist anymore. Erudite and refined, Dickerson's the kind of BB Weider would always prefer to win. Not to say that Dickerson was perfect though, like Scott I can imagine him being a little snippy from time to time but the overall impression is one of quality and depth, a good spokesman for the sport. These days it seems to me that most of the BBs with those qualities are not Americans.

Exactly the problem with guys who were physically deserving, like Robinson and others-the fro, the persona were not appreciated when it came to perceptions as to what a winner should be.

all very, very true