Author Topic: Poll: should I stop (pretending to be) lifting weights and just give up?  (Read 15670 times)

io856

true. Genetics can be overcome, in fact a lot of the genes in your body are altered when you change your habits.

Some genes are shut down, some become active.
or you could just take anator-p70

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

Oh boy. :-\ :-X
I hate the State.

io856

Oh boy. :-\ :-X
it says its clinically proven!

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
it says its clinically proven!

I am going to run out and get it now! :o
I hate the State.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?

Mars and I get Kegdrainer's mom to take that before she comes over to "serve" us.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Equally tested and proven:

I hate the State.

io856

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?
Deicide do you do that split once a week?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Deicide do you do that split once a week?

Which split? HST? No, 3x a week.

8 weeks=2 weeks 15 reps, 12, 9, 6...8-12 days off....start again.
I hate the State.

Vorkosigan

• Getbig II
http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html
You dont trust company supplement and you trust these bullshit ?

Some websites talk about training with one rep / exercise in the same way with a lot of "scientific" text. That doesn't mean that's efficient

Its not because you increase your lift every weeks that it works. If my grandma lifted some weight and increased her lifts each weeks that didn't mean she would become muscular.

That kind of training seems to be a sort of cardio training, nothing more. Heavy weight or not doesn't matter if you don't shock your muscle

my 2 cents

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?

If my grandma lifted some weight and increased her lifts each weeks that didn't mean she would become muscular.

I'm pretty sure by the time she lifts 500lb she'll be muscular.

my 2 cents

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I guess I am 20%....

You forgot your current dietary regime and, since you've yet to mention your height, I'll assume you're 5'7".

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
You forgot your current dietary regime and, since you've yet to mention your height, I'll assume you're 5'7".

5'8"...a bit taller...I suck at the American system these days though, 173.5 cm tall.

Usually 4-6 meals. Usually 50/50 protein shakes/real food.
I hate the State.

io856

btw HST is a really really effective way of training

those with a religious affinity to their training protocols/beliefs need not apply

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
5'8"...a bit taller...I suck at the American system these days though, 173.5 cm tall.

This is the main reason why you don't progress as you want.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
btw HST is a really really effective way of training

those with a religious affinity to their training protocols/beliefs need not apply

I love HST. I get stronger on it and feel psychologically better, switched to it after months of a 4x split.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...

This seems like mythology to me. Protein is protein and the protein you get from shakes is the same if not better quality.

I know team only solid food will disagree but this works best for me, especially budget wise.
I hate the State.

DK II

• Getbig V
This seems like mythology to me. Protein is protein and the protein you get from shakes is the same if not better quality.

I know team only solid food will disagree but this works best for me, especially budget wise.

That's not quite true, it's the same with vitamins. You get a lot more when you eat 400g of chicken breast compared to downing a big whey shake.

If you don't take advice, don' ask for it. You want people to help you yet come up with some bullshit excuse everytime something doesn't fit you.

If i was you, i'd try some of the advices that were given you. Eat more real food, change the training around a bit, do some fuckign cardio and see what happens. You are not competing, so if nothing, really nothing happens after 4-6 weeks, you can go back to what you are doing now.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
That's not quite true, it's the same with vitamins. You get a lot more when you eat 400g of chicken breast compared to downing a big whey shake.

If you don't take advice, don' ask for it. You want people to help you yet come up with some bullshit excuse everytime something doesn't fit you.

If i was you, i'd try some of the advices that were given you. Eat more real food, change the training around a bit, do some fuckign cardio and see what happens. You are not competing, so if nothing, really nothing happens after 4-6 weeks, you can go back to what you are doing now.

I would eat more real food if it weren't so expensive. Gonna finish up my HST cylce anyone, 2 more weeks to go then off to Germany/Luxembourg for a week off.

For record I have done many splits...I honestly don't find them to be as effective.
I hate the State.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Based on what? My diet is quite similar (only my meal count is at 9 meals).

There's no way I can eat that much in solid food alone, especially at work. That's why I have my shakes during the busier part of my day.

My current diet looks like this (here are a few examples from last month):

26-May-09   

Meal              Protein      Carbs    Fat   
                (grams)     (grams)   (grams)   
   Mega MRP      40    20    2   

Protein bar, Liver Tabs   30    40    5   

Muscle Juice 2544      55   162   17   

Lunch                   40           40        10   

Salmon, Rice      55    50   10   

Training Drink      0    20    0   

Post-Workout Drink   60   77    4   
   (Anator P-70 w/Mega MRP)               

Salmon, Green Beans   55   10   10   

390        581          75   

Total Calories:      4559   

27-May-09      
   Meal              Protein      Carbs    Fat   
                (grams)    (grams)   (grams)   
   Mega MRP      40    20    2   

Protein bar, Liver Tabs   44           30   12   

Lunch                   25     60   10   

Salmon, Rice      55    50   10   

Training Drink        0    20     0   

Post-Workout Drink    60    77     4   
   (Anator P-70 w/Mega MRP)               

Salmon, Green Beans    55    10    10   

389   591    82   

Total Calories:      4658   

io856

whey is far more bioavailable than chicken what the fuck are you talking about

even Dorian employed a solid meal/shake dieting strategy

eating 6 or 7 solid meals a day is no good

DK II

• Getbig V
whey is far more bioavailable than chicken what the fuck are you talking about

even Dorian employed a solid meal/shake dieting strategy

eating 6 or 7 solid meals a day is no good

Yes, but you two guys have solid meal plans, I think deicide tumbles around 1000 cals a day.

His whey shakes are burned like sugar.

Whey is perfect to boost protein breakdown because of the high amount of BCAA it contains, but that only makes sense when you alreday have enough amino acids in your blood from other sources.

When you try to LIVE on whey shakes, all the protein is wasted. If he would add some complex carbs and EFA to his whey shakes, the whole story would be a bit different.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

The key here, however, is SPEED and CONVENIENCE, especially when you're at work or school. A meal of chicken (and accompanying carbs) may take 30 minutes to consume. An MRP or weight-gainer shake will take 30 SECONDS to consume.

DK II

• Getbig V
The key here, however, is SPEED and CONVENIENCE, especially when you're at work or school. A meal of chicken (and accompanying carbs) may take 30 minutes to consume. An MRP or weight-gainer shake will take 30 SECONDS to consume.

I totally agree here with you, but even in that case, i tend to mix plain yoghurt with fruits, nuts and honey. That's convenient for me. I might add whey to boost the overall protein content and make it two servings.

The thing is, if you don't eat enough, the protein shakes will be just burned for energy and pissed out, you can also drink milk to have that. Protein shakes at the right times, i.e. between meals or post WO are good and also will help with the diet, but protein shakes INSTEAD of meals is a waste.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
I totally agree here with you, but even in that case, i tend to mix plain yoghurt with fruits, nuts and honey. That's convenient for me. I might add whey to boost the overall protein content and make it two servings.

The thing is, if you don't eat enough, the protein shakes will be just burned for energy and pissed out, you can also drink milk to have that. Protein shakes at the right times, i.e. between meals or post WO are good and also will help with the diet, but protein shakes INSTEAD of meals is a waste.

If you replace only the protein from solid meals with the protein from shakes, there is absolutely no difference. I think you compare two scenarious were more variables are changed at once.