Author Topic: Once rich stars--bankrupt!  (Read 6268 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Once rich stars--bankrupt!
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 09:59:28 PM »
singing and playing basketball is not work, nobody ever lists "building a deck" as a hobby or something they do for fun, it's work

See that's where you would be wrong. I love carpentry, ...and it is one of my hobbies.

all 9 -5 people would trade their job for a life as an entertainer, ever notice how people worship celebrities?

No they would not. Many would, ...but not everyone is cut out to be an entertainer.
Not everyone wants to be worshipped either. There's a big difference between being an entertainer, or being a performer, or being an actor, from being a celebrity. You automatically equate these, but they are not the same things.

now i see why everybody says what a moron you are ::)

comparing sex to an actual job ::) ::) ::)

Have sex with that, and then come and tell me it's not work.  ;D
           |
           |
           V

none but i have worked in movies

really? And in what capacity?

ever wonder why these celebrities choose their celebrity job over a real job, have you ever wondered that ::)

I have no need to wonder.

since when does being shy mean you don't crave attention?

Since the inception of it's definition as one shrinking from familiarity or contact with others

if these people were given the choice of a real job and being an entertainer for the same salary, what do you think they would choose?

Some would choose a different profession, others would continue to do what they do.

yes they just want to sing and they love the attention and admiration, nobody gets on stage without loving attention and hearing applause

You'd be surprised.

they want to act because it beats the hell out of working a real job in every way, like i said it's not work when you love doing it and would do it in your spare time

E

For many acting beats the hell out of working in another profession.
For many others, if they had the ability to enjoy the same perks they enjoy from their careers as actors,
without the negative baggage they must endure, ...they jump at it in a heartbeat.
w

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2009, 07:14:19 AM »
14 hours a day on a movie set is far better than a real job, knowing the money you are getting paid and the status it gives you

practicing a game is not hard work, have you ever worked a real job ::)

dealing with agents and others can be annoying, that is not work especially when they love attention

E

Still hard work and its not as easy as you think.
I Bleed PhillyEagle

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
when i was younger i worked as an extra for a few movies

for most of them we would start at 6 a.m. and finish around 10 p.m.

i stood on my feet for almost the entire time for pennies, it wasn't about the money i just felt it was cool to be a part of movies

the experience was far more enjoyable than being in an office from 9 - 5 and the actors from my pov had it easier than the extras

they memorize a few lines for a scene, then they sit down and have some person bring them whatever they want while the extras stand the entire time with no 'slaves' catering to their needs

anybody with an average iq could memorize these lines, you just need the look the director wants for the particular part and the ablity to sound somewhat believable

i spoke to a few of the actors, even though extras normally aren't allowed to talk to them and i asked them about the work they put into it, they all said it can be tough but there is no way they could ever work a typical job again, the stresses of a real job are far greater, not to mention the lack of glory or admiration from others

all careers require some work, but if you have the talent to be an entertainer your career will be far easier than an average joe's, even if the average joe is the owner or boss of their work

any rich entertainer that complains about their "work" would complain about anything, the type of person that would whine about taxes when they won the powerball ::)

i'd say professional golfers have it the easiest, even the biggest stars in the world want to be tiger woods

now you'll tell me how hard tiger woods "works", as if working on your golf game all day is "work" :P

E

E

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
when i was younger i worked as an extra for a few movies

for most of them we would start at 6 a.m. and finish around 10 p.m.

i stood on my feet for almost the entire time for pennies, it wasn't about the money i just felt it was cool to be a part of movies

An extra?  ::)  That explains much.  Not to disparage extras because I have done it before, but being an extra is no where near being an actor.  Especially being a non union extra where more than likely you were hired in a cattle call. They pull people off the streets for cattle calls. it's no more than being moving furniture. Until you get into more union work, on closed sets where you may be either the only extra or perhaps 1 of 2 or 3 and are required to interact with the stars. Even then it's not acting. Shoot, even under 5's and most of the principal parts out there don't require any acting or any craft whatsoever.

the experience was far more enjoyable than being in an office from 9 - 5 and the actors from my pov had it easier than the extras

The only reason you found it more enjoyable to work for pennies for 14 hrs is because you were a groupie who thought it was cool to be in a movie.  ;D

There is a reason the principal actors have it easier. there's also a reason why they're provided with air conditioned trailers and quite often catered to hand & foot. If you think it's because they're worshipped... think again. Film personnel do not worship actors... far from it. Frequently there is a great disdain for actors among crews... especially those crew members who rarely get near the sets, and especially when those actors, even no names are being paid upwards of thousands of dollars per day, while they are existing on $10/hr.

they memorize a few lines for a scene, then they sit down and have some person bring them whatever they want while the extras stand the entire time with no 'slaves' catering to their needs

Yep... you were on a non union cattle call. {lol} Most actors won't do that kind of work unless they're on the verge of eviction... and then sometimes not even then.

anybody with an average iq could memorize these lines, you just need the look the director wants for the particular part and the ablity to sound somewhat believable

Those aren't actors... those are type cast performers. Andy Warhol was right... everyone gets their 15 mins.
Over the past 10 years we've seen a real shift in the industry where we've gotten away from the development of actors to a culture of reality show attention whores.  Trust me when I tell you, ...there is a big difference between the two.

i spoke to a few of the actors, even though extras normally aren't allowed to talk to them and i asked them about the work they put into it, they all said it can be tough but there is no way they could ever work a typical job again, the stresses of a real job are far greater, not to mention the lack of glory or admiration from others

You speak of actors who say there is no way they would ever work a typical job again, ...you make no mention of the actors who have quit the business and said there is no way they would ever go back. There are plenty of those too... and for good reason. Just because an actor prefers his chosen profession over something else doesn't mean it's not hard. I don't think anyone here would say living life as a homeless person isn't hard, ...but you know what, ...believe it or not, there are some homeless people who would never have it any other way. The idea of living in a house in one spot is anathema to them, and they LOVE what they perceive as the ultimate freedom.

I've done more than "spoke to a few actors"... I've been one. I worked in the film industry for many years.
I've done it all so-tospeak, from both sides of the camera (with the exception of producing) I've been an agent, a casting director, an AD, stand-in, body double, lip syncher, table reader, as well as an actor. Trust me when I tell you most "actors" today, do not act. A good many of my roles I wouldn't even consider "acting". Some were, some weren't. That doesn't however negate the fact that acting is real work. In many ways harder than most.  It's simply a matter of how far the actor wants to take it, or is capable of taking it. Most actors find a level they are comfortable with, and have no desire to take it to the next level, ...while others are compelled to take it as far as they can. By that, ...I'm not refering to "fame", I'm refering to taking their craft to the next level. One can end up in very dangerous territory... aptly illustrated by Heath Ledger. Being an actor can beat the hell out of you body, mind, and soul, to an extent where you think you just did a few rounds with Tyson. The beating is just not as condensed, but spread out over the course of the project, ...but it's still there.

all careers require some work, but if you have the talent to be an entertainer your career will be far easier than an average joe's, even if the average joe is the owner or boss of their work

Then why do so many celebrities pray their kids don't ever want to get into the business?

Your comments are pure conjecture and speculation from the other side of the fence.
Being an entertainer is one of the hardest careers around.

any rich entertainer that complains about their "work" would complain about anything, the type of person that would whine about taxes when they won the powerball ::)

Any rich entertainer who complains about their work, ...has at least some basis or foundation from which to make such a complaint. They are at least doing what they are complaining about. you on the other hand are making nothing but assumptions about something of which you know nothing.

i'd say professional golfers have it the easiest, even the biggest stars in the world want to be tiger woods

now you'll tell me how hard tiger woods "works", as if working on your golf game all day is "work" :P

E

I'm not a golfer, ...I'm not so presumptuous as to assume a few puts here and there, in any way qualifies me as a professional golfer, ...or a golfer of any type. I don't know what Tiger Woods or any other golfer does. I wouldn't presume to comment. I do however know about the actors creative process and unlike you, that's something on which I'm fully qualified to comment.
w

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2009, 04:59:37 PM »
well said Jag...
I Bleed PhillyEagle

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2009, 05:58:04 PM »
An extra?  ::)  That explains much.  Not to disparage extras because I have done it before, but being an extra is no where near being an actor.  Especially being a non union extra where more than likely you were hired in a cattle call. They pull people off the streets for cattle calls. it's no more than being moving furniture. Until you get into more union work, on closed sets where you may be either the only extra or perhaps 1 of 2 or 3 and are required to interact with the stars. Even then it's not acting. Shoot, even under 5's and most of the principal parts out there don't require any acting or any craft whatsoever.

i saw how things were ran, looked far better than a real job and all actors will tell you the same
e only reason you found it more enjoyable to work for pennies for 14 hrs is because you were a groupie who thought it was cool to be in a movie.  ;D

yeah that's how everybody feels, nobody chooses real work when they have a chance to be in a movie

most actors start at the bottom, not making 10 million per movie

There is a reason the principal actors have it easier. there's also a reason why they're provided with air conditioned trailers and quite often catered to hand & foot. If you think it's because they're worshipped... think again. Film personnel do not worship actors... far from it. Frequently there is a great disdain for actors among crews... especially those crew members who rarely get near the sets, and especially when those actors, even no names are being paid upwards of thousands of dollars per day, while they are existing on $10/hr.

so they don't get 'worshipped' by film personnel

damn if i wasn't 'worshipped' by them i would work a real job instead ::)

Yep... you were on a non union cattle call. {lol} Most actors won't do that kind of work unless they're on the verge of eviction... and then sometimes not even then.

these actors weren't on the verge of anything

You speak of actors who say there is no way they would ever work a typical job again, ...you make no mention of the actors who have quit the business and said there is no way they would ever go back. There are plenty of those too... and for good reason. Just because an actor prefers his chosen profession over something else doesn't mean it's not hard. I don't think anyone here would say living life as a homeless person isn't hard, ...but you know what, ...believe it or not, there are some homeless people who would never have it any other way. The idea of living in a house in one spot is anathema to them, and they LOVE what they perceive as the ultimate freedom.

they quit he business because they knew their acting dreams would never become a reality, if they were offered a role by steven spielberg or martin scorsese i think they would've reconsidered  ;)

what percentage of people do you think would be happy being homeless?  serious question, you seem to be the type that sees one exception to a rule and then thinks that it is something quite common

happy being homeless LOL

ne more than "spoke to a few actors"... I've been one. I worked in the film industry for many years.
I've done it all so-tospeak, from both sides of the camera (with the exception of producing) I've been an agent, a casting director, an AD, stand-in, body double, lip syncher, table reader, as well as an actor. Trust me when I tell you most "actors" today, do not act. A good many of my roles I wouldn't even consider "acting". Some were, some weren't. That doesn't however negate the fact that acting is real work. In many ways harder than most.  It's simply a matter of how far the actor wants to take it, or is capable of taking it. Most actors find a level they are comfortable with, and have no desire to take it to the next level, ...while others are compelled to take it as far as they can. By that, ...I'm not refering to "fame", I'm refering to taking their craft to the next level. One can end up in very dangerous territory... aptly illustrated by Heath Ledger. Being an actor can beat the hell out of you body, mind, and soul, to an extent where you think you just did a few rounds with Tyson. The beating is just not as condensed, but spread out over the course of the project, ...but it's still there.

i believe it because like i said these people are mentally ill, working a real job would drive them to insanity far faster than acting

ledger was a drug addict, people need to stop blaming the overrated joker role for his death, a drug addict plain and simple
hen why do so many celebrities pray their kids don't ever want to get into the business?

what parent doesn't want their kids life to be easier than theirs?  maybe they sucked dick for roles?
Your comments are pure conjecture and speculation from the other side of the fence.
Being an entertainer is one of the hardest careers around.

actually it's one of the easiest, hence the reason everybody wants to be them

get paid big money to be worshipped and 'work' half the year, real tough work ::)
Any rich entertainer who complains about their work, ...has at least some basis or foundation from which to make such a complaint. They are at least doing what they are complaining about. you on the other hand are making nothing but assumptions about something of which you know nothing.

do you think tiger woods or any major athlete ever worked a real job?  ever think that having an easier life makes a person more likely to complain about trivial things?

a golfer, ...I'm not so presumptuous as to assume a few puts here and there, in any way qualifies me as a professional golfer, ...or a golfer of any type. I don't know what Tiger Woods or any other golfer does. I wouldn't presume to comment. I do however know about the actors creative process and unlike you, that's something on which I'm fully qualified to comment.

many actors say they got into acting because they didn't want to work 9 to 5

that says it all

E
E

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »

i believe it because like i said these people are mentally ill, working a real job would drive them to insanity far faster than acting

how very little you know.

ledger was a drug addict, people need to stop blaming the overrated joker role for his death, a drug addict plain and simple

I'm not refering to his death from prescription meds, ...or any alleged addiction to them.
I'm refering to his work resulting in a state that required the prescription meds to begin with.

However, as an extra who thinks he knows it all, you could never really comprehend the magnitude of it.

many actors say they got into acting because they didn't want to work 9 to 5

that says it all

E

No, ...what it says is that those actors who got into it because they didn't want to work 9-5, got into it because they didn't want to work 9-5. I know, ...I was one of them. I didn't want to work a 9-5 either. Acting looked like a cake walk to me. As I progressed, I realized a whole new world, that also included a tremendous amount of hard work. I left the biz after in the early 90's relieved and thinking I would never go back. I changed my mind mid way through the 90's and found a level I was comfortable with. Just because people enter into something in a state of ignorance doesn't say it all. It simply illustrates the level of delusion and misperception prevalent in a population so very ignorant about the business. Something you've illustrated quite markedly.
w

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 09:06:19 AM »
you didn't become the star you wanted to be, that's why you felt frustrated and quit

you all have the same story, none of you quit because the actual acting is too hard, you quit because you aren't getting decent roles that pay the bills, you see the writing on the wall

if steven spielberg comes calling, everybody would quit their 9 - 5 job immediately

nobody choose actual work over acting unless their job pays much more

acting isn't work :)

end of story

E

E

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 10:11:10 AM »
Those were the ugliest feet I've ever seen in my life. I must now go and vomit.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 10:49:44 AM »
Beach, ...hard work is keeping from beating you within an inch of your life!  >:(  That's hard work!

More hate speech from this violent, homicidal nut.    ::)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 11:13:01 AM »
This thread needs more love.
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 10:54:35 PM »
you didn't become the star you wanted to be, that's why you felt frustrated and quit

No, I quit the business the first time, because it was just too taxing on my mind, body and soul.
I didn't like the person it was turning me into.

I quit the business the 2nd time, not because I didn't become a "star". I never sought to be one.
I quit the business the 2nd time because it started getting to the point where I started to get recognized,
...and I didn't enjoy it one bit. When people you've known for years start turning into groupies in front of your eyes, or when store clerks start freaking out when you walk in, or worse, complete strangers start recognizing you, it throws you. I am not ashamed to admit, I was both frightened & creeped out by the experience. It was time for me to leave. Most of the work was fun, ...but the aftermath, not so much so, plus a ton of BS that one cannot even begin to fathom. It was time to move on.

you all have the same story, none of you quit because the actual acting is too hard, you quit because you aren't getting decent roles that pay the bills, you see the writing on the wall

I more than supported myself in the biz... without a "day job".
I was level 6. The highest level a single performers could be.

if steven spielberg comes calling, everybody would quit their 9 - 5 job immediately

nobody choose actual work over acting unless their job pays much more

acting isn't work :)

end of story

E

Many people do. I'll admit I didn't though. Network Mktg pays alot better with less work, ...but then again, I've been doing it for years.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
Dane Cook's half brother accused of stealing $11M
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 10:56:06 PM »
Dane Cook's half brother accused of stealing $11M
AP Mon Jul 06, 2009, 1:57 pm EDT         

WOBURN, Mass. -   Dane Cook's half brother has been indicted on additional charges that he stole more than $11 million from the comedian, prosecutors said Monday.

Darryl McCauley, 43, of Wilmington, allegedly wrote company checks to himself and transferred funds into his personal bank accounts while being paid $12,500 a month to serve as business manager for Cook's company, Great Dane Enterprises.

A Middlesex grand jury indicted him late last week on 20 new counts of larceny over $250 for allegedly stealing from Cook between March 2004 and December 2008. He had pleaded not guilty in March to larceny and other charges in the case.

McCauley worked as Cook's business manager from the early 1990s to December 2008.

McCauley's attorney, Robert Goldstein, declined to comment Monday on the new allegations, saying he had not yet seen the indictments. Goldstein said in March that McCauley denied taking any money without his brother's consent.

McCauley's wife, Erika, also has pleaded not guilty to charges that she helped her husband steal millions from Cook. They are both being held on $1 million bail each.

His arraignment has not yet been scheduled. Erika McCauley is due in court for a pretrial hearing July 24.

------------------------

See what I mean, ...it happens all the time. You try to be as careful as you can, ...even limiting yourself to those you've known all your life, ...and shit still happens. That sucks!... and from family too.  :'(
w