Author Topic: Any of you change careers?  (Read 3075 times)

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: Any of you change careers?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2009, 03:32:31 AM »
people are not made to sit in little cubicles all day.

RJ DRIVER

• Getbig IV
  • I'm like a retard minus the strength
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 06:48:37 AM »
Desk jobs suck! I went from being a financial adviser to an airline pilot.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 07:07:18 AM »
From one career to a completely different one?

Speak on this.

changing from crack to meth to paint thinner is not exactly a career change, DW.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 07:16:09 AM »
i'm a programmer. 

i'm strictly a cisco systems guy.....programming requirres wayyy too much patience mang!

i took c++ in college n fotran...never again  >:(
carpe` vaginum!

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 11:26:04 AM »
I was an electrical engineering major in school.  I broke into local radio in Houston without finishing school and worked at a news/talk station for 24 years.  I produced call in shows on a wide variety of subjects(agriculture, gardening, medicine, politics, home improvement, sports) and worked in master control, and after 24 years I was laid off by a famous and widely vilified broadcasting company.  I got a job with a small telecommunications company installing microwave links between Verizon cell phone sites.  nine days short of one year on the job I was laid off again in February.  I have been unemployed since then and have had no luck getting any sort of job...so yeah I have changed careers.

Damn! I too got laid off after 18 years in Aerospace. This was almost 2 years ago. Haven't gotten it together since.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 11:56:58 AM »
Worked 15 years at a shitty blue collar job...though the pay wasn't too shabby.....went back to college and I'm now partnered with a friend of mine to work for ourselves. We scored a nice juicy new contract today too.

Life is good.

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2009, 11:57:11 AM »
Get a job as a security guard brah, you do jack shit, and when something does happen where you gotta work, you just look the other way cause you dont wanna narc to the popo's and get goons  chasing after yourself.
Plus chicks love men in positions that require responsibility. 8)

Security guards are the dumbest people on the planet. I respect janitors more than security guards.
It's Hip to be Square!

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »
Security guards are the dumbest people on the planet. I respect janitors more than security guards.

QFT. And the idea that working security, which is practically a minimum wage position, isn't going to pull any hotties.

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2009, 12:21:15 PM »
Im from the Hotel background,on my way of completing diploma in hotel management and catering technology,but always looking for a better working condition,there was around 2 yrs of gap in my education, in that time i worked many jobs,butler, customer service excecutive, sales excecutive,security at various events,,then Fitness consultant,but really hard to figure out whats best for you,maybe time makes one career stable,im pretty much clear on the fact that i wont leave hospitality industry.

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2009, 01:22:37 PM »
QFT. And the idea that working security, which is practically a minimum wage position, isn't going to pull any hotties.

You speaking from experience? No, no you're not,  so just STFU.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2009, 01:30:09 PM »

Speak on this.

I really don't feel like talking about it right now.  Maybe one day.  But not today.

Eisenherz

• Getbig IV
  • Uber oder unter?
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »

Reign Down

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • http://www.sickipedia.org/
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 02:06:46 PM »
Gayer than having a career.

translation, the only thing i've had more new jobs than is my father's load dumped on my face willingly.

ta ta
Ta ta nerds!

badlad

• Getbig III
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »
See it as an opportunity...alot of people are 'stuck' in relatively mindless desk jobs and never ever leave them only because they couldn't or wouldn't think outside of the box. If you lose your job instead of trying to go back to the same work (that is if you don't really enjoy it anyway) find something completely different but look for something that also has a future in it. However you probably wouldn't want to listen to me as I went from reasonably entertaining work that was ok paid to a mindless desk type job that is extraordinarily well paid - I thought money would make all the difference but while it has helped ease my pain I certainly don't want to do what I'm currently doing for ever.
I see me becoming a consultant again - it's on the horizon - 3 day work week - 2 days golf - train went I want etc etc. Ah the dream...

Bast175

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
See it as an opportunity...alot of people are 'stuck' in relatively mindless desk jobs and never ever leave them only because they couldn't or wouldn't think outside of the box. If you lose your job instead of trying to go back to the same work (that is if you don't really enjoy it anyway) find something completely different but look for something that also has a future in it. However you probably wouldn't want to listen to me as I went from reasonably entertaining work that was ok paid to a mindless desk type job that is extraordinarily well paid - I thought money would make all the difference but while it has helped ease my pain I certainly don't want to do what I'm currently doing for ever.
I see me becoming a consultant again - it's on the horizon - 3 day work week - 2 days golf - train went I want etc etc. Ah the dream...

what was the entertaining work you did before?

badlad

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2009, 02:49:17 PM »
well maybe 'entertaining' is a stretching it a little - did a wide variety of things from working in clubs, construction, bouncing, plumber, demolition, basically hands on kinda stuff.

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »
I can relate to you here Bast...
Air Falcon

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 06:31:25 PM »

Speak on this.

yes law to entrepreneur, much better, hope to never work for someone else again.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 07:55:36 PM »
You speaking from experience? No, no you're not,  so just STFU.

I was a guard for 2 years.

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 08:07:41 PM »
i went from turning a wrench to desk/computer job and worked my way up the corp food chain into wireless network engineering.  5 weeks of paid vacation a year, benefits....the auto dealership I was working at is gonna be up a creek....it was Pontiac/GMC truck.  I would have been laid off so good thing i switched up.

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2009, 08:42:35 PM »
~

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »
Damn! I too got laid off after 18 years in Aerospace. This was almost 2 years ago. Haven't gotten it together since.

Electronics?, Air Structures?, Materials?, Mechanics?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2009, 06:35:30 AM »
Right now is the perfect time to quit your job and look for another.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2009, 06:50:26 AM »
the perfect time to die.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2009, 06:53:41 AM »
Right now is the perfect time to quit your job and look for another.

Yes Calvin.  The market is ripe for the picking...