Author Topic: Franken on Judiciary  (Read 2137 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Franken on Judiciary
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »
You didn't even read the statement then... because I didn't say qualified to "serve".

I said qualified to help select the Judges... Because they voted for the people selecting them.

Please go re-read my post.

Okay.  I read it again.  In fact, here is the pertinent part:

Actually, comdedians, garbage workers, and a host of other people you feel are "unqualified" helped to select the judges... by voting for who they wanted to win their districts elections.

What exactly did you mean by "comedians, garbage workers, and a host of other people you feel are 'unqualified' . . . ."?  Are you talking about voters and the people who serve in the Senate?   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 04:01:04 PM »
Okay.  I read it again.  In fact, here is the pertinent part:

What exactly did you mean by "comedians, garbage workers, and a host of other people you feel are 'unqualified' . . . ."?  Are you talking about voters and the people who serve in the Senate?  

Ok... Let me explain, because you're just not getting it.

You're saying that Franken is unqualified to select someone to serve on the Supreme Court because he's a "lousy comedian". At least that's what this statement seems to imply.

Even if Franken "outworked Coleman," that has nothing to do with the fact a lousy comedian will help select Supreme Court Justices, and every other federal judge, for at least the next six years. 

I'm saying that what he did for a living doesn't make him unqualified... Because EVERYONE who votes and has jobs you would consider "unqualified" to make that selection ARE qualified because they are voters and as a voter, you select those who you feel will vote in your best interest, and they have ALWAYS in effect, been selecting the justices.
Make sense?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 04:05:47 PM »
Ok... Let me explain, because you're just not getting it.

You're saying that Franken is unqualified to select someone to serve on the Supreme Court because he's a "lousy comedian".

I'm saying that first of all, what he did for a living doesn't make him unqualified... Because EVERYONE who votes and has jobs you would consider "unqualified" to make that selection ARE qualified because they are voters and as a voter, you select those who you feel will vote in your best interest, and they have ALWAYS in effect, been selecting the justices.
Make sense?

Thanks for the clarification.  I never said all people of any job, skill level, etc. are not qualified to serve on the Senate Judiciary Committee.  I'm saying this turkey is not qualified.  Coleman is head and shoulders better qualified to serve in the Senate than Franken.  (A majority of the voters obviously disagree with me.) 

Not every Senator serves on the Judiciary Committee.  They should have put him on some other committee, like the one that decides the cafeteria menu or something. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 04:09:35 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.  I never said all people of any job, skill level, etc. are not qualified to serve on the Senate Judiciary Committee.  I'm saying this turkey is not qualified.  Coleman is head and shoulders better qualified to serve in the Senate than Franken.  (A majority of the voters obviously disagree with me.) 

Not every Senator serves on the Judiciary Committee.  They should have put him on some other committee, like the one that decides the cafeteria menu or something. 

What makes him unqualified then?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 04:16:18 PM »
What makes him unqualified then?

The fact that his major calling in life was a lousy comedian, he has zero experience serving the public, doesn't impress me as all that smart, and his opponent was a lawyer, former mayor, and one-term senator.   

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 05:35:18 PM »
The fact that his major calling in life was a lousy comedian, he has zero experience serving the public, doesn't impress me as all that smart, and his opponent was a lawyer, former mayor, and one-term senator.  

I guess then I have to ask why people voted for an Actor to be Governor of California... Twice.

1 even became POTUS.

I don't think your argument really makes any sense considering the fact that it doesn't matter what your career was prior to congress.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 05:48:57 PM »
I guess then I have to ask why people voted for an Actor to be Governor of California... Twice.

1 even became POTUS.

I don't think your argument really makes any sense considering the fact that it doesn't matter what your career was prior to congress.

Makes sense to me.  You are welcome to have a different opinion.   :)  I didn't have a problem with Arnold.  He was an outstanding businessman before becoming gov. 

Reagan became prez after serving as gov.

But we're talking about Franken vs. Coleman.  Just a horrendous decision by the voters.  Must be something in that Minnesota water. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 11:47:56 AM »
I couldn't be happier that Franken won. 

The people of Minnesota got their choice as Senator and finally (after 8 months) have full representation in the Senate.

The Dems get another vote and a really smart guy added to their side

The bitching and moaning by the Repubs on this board is just icing on the cake

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 11:57:19 AM »
I couldn't be happier that Franken won. 

The people of Minnesota got their choice as Senator and finally (after 8 months) have full representation in the Senate.

The Dems get another vote and a really smart guy added to their side

The bitching and moaning by the Repubs on this board is just icing on the cake

Great, lets applaude the dems in their race to 12% UE. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 11:58:45 AM »

Aren't you the guy who is impressed with the likes of Palin and Romney?

Franken will probably be one of the smarter people in the Senate:

graduated cum laude from Harvard College in 1973 with a bachelor of arts degree in political science

has written five New York Times best-selling books, three of which reached #1.

In 2003, Franken served as a Fellow with Harvard's Kennedy School of Government at the Joan Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2009, 12:00:50 PM »

graduated cum laude from Harvard College in 1973 with a bachelor of arts degree in political science

In 2003, Franken served as a Fellow with Harvard's Kennedy School of Government at the Joan Shorenstein Center on the Press, Politics and Public Policy.

i just hope he stays true to his word not to be an automatic dem vote.  That is the last thing we need, right or left. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »
Great, lets applaude the dems in their race to 12% UE. 

yeah cause that's really the Dems fault

If the Repubs were still running (or doing nothing which is how they run stuff) we'd be even worse.

Plus - that's got nothing to do with Franken.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 12:01:59 PM »
i just hope he stays true to his word not to be an automatic dem vote.  That is the last thing we need, right or left. 

There are a few wild cards including Liberman who talks out of both sides of his mouth every day

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 12:12:29 PM »

::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 12:13:27 PM »

I'll be very surprised if he turns out to be anything other than a liberal rubber stamp.  He certainly won't be one of the brightest bulbs in the Senate. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »

has anyone explained to that TV and movies are not real life?

you seem to get the two confused alot

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 12:19:46 PM »
I'll be very surprised if he turns out to be anything other than a liberal rubber stamp.  He certainly won't be one of the brightest bulbs in the Senate. 

well given your belief system I'll bet you're constantly being suprised by reality

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »
well given your belief system and I'll bet you're constantly being suprised by reality

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »

already out of ideas I see

shorter than usual this time