Author Topic: WEC Plans to Strip the Title From Jamie Varner. Varner's Career Over? *Update*  (Read 634 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
The WEC plans to strip the lightweight title shortly from Jamie Varner, who won a fight by split decision in the fifth round in January against Cerrone. The fight had to be stopped after Cerrone hit Varner in the head with his knee in an illegal move.

During that fight, Varner broke a hand and a foot, and may never fight again, Harris said.

w

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
[UPDATE] - Apparently Harris' words may have been taken a bit out of context and currently Varner will not yet be stripped of his title. NWI MMA Blog has more.

The main event at WEC 43 will be an interim lightweight title fight between Donald Cerrone and Ben Henderson.

Reached Tuesday for clarification, Harris elaborated on his comment.

"Jamie’s injured and I’m not sure when he’s going to come back," Harris said. "And (the Vindicator reporter) said, ‘Is there a chance he couldn’t come back?’ and I said, ‘Of course — he’s got an injury to his hand.’ So for that reason, we did this as an interim belt. Obviously if he can’t come back, we will do it as a permanent title."

"Varner's tried twice to come back and not been able to. We’re looking at the possibility that he might NOT come back. I think it’s going to be a while (before he could come back). The doctor said it is healing, and they had actually gone back in probably two and half to three months ago to do more work on i