Author Topic: Peaking  (Read 1528 times)

splinterhands

• Getbig II
Peaking
« on: June 29, 2009, 06:01:26 PM »
Should you try to peak on all three movements at the same time or stagger them so that if you're in week 10 of 12 on a bench press routine, your squats and deads are not also getting really tough also?  This is assuming that you don't have a meet coming up on a certain date.

11venthhour

• Getbig III
Re: Peaking
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »
it seems to me you would alternate focusing on either the squat or deadlift if you were not preparing for a meet. this is how it seems westside has it laid out as well.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:44:47 PM »
Peaking is tricky business. If there is no impending meet, then peak different lifts at different times. The logical approach would be to peak your bench half way through your squat/DL cycle (and vice versa). This way you are under less total stress and assuring that optimal amounts of rest and recovery are had.

When you have an upcoming meet you should peak all at the same time for obvious reasons. One will surely take from the other but that is the game you play. I believe westside says to end your cycle two weeks before the contest and use the next week for gpp/recovery. This sounds much like what I do and it works very well.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 04:18:20 PM »
Westside has you peaking year-round - just not on the same movements.  Most guys only do traditional bench, squat and DL either on meet day or beginning 16 weeks out from a meet.  The rest of the time it's using non-traditional variations so gauging whether you're "peaking" or not isn't really possible.