Author Topic: "Pray for the family"  (Read 3849 times)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: "Pray for the family"
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
I love when someone goes missing or dies, you'll hear "let's pray for the family".
Like this does anything...haha, delusional humans.  When you're in a fucked situation, tell yourself God does everything for a reason, let go and turn it over to God, just pray.
Fucking idiots..haha
Fixed ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 12:08:58 PM »
Religion is an antiquated notion.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 12:12:15 PM »
i've always had a hard time showing emotion for when someone not close to me dies.

whenever i hear someone died, i just don't care.

i only had one meltdown last year when my close relative died, but other than that, my whole life, nothing.
Deep Tissue Massage

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 12:13:01 PM »
i've always had a hard time showing emotion for when someone not close to me dies.

i only had one meltdown last year when my close relative died, but other than that, my whole life, nothing.
YOU ON LEXAPRO?
U

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 12:13:06 PM »
What he held up a sign saying no excess noise in your face?

You'd have to run away get in your car and teach him a lesson by smoking a cigarello, maybe weep a little, you know how to show these fuckers your not to be messed with.

ta ta

u pick up a thing or 2 about hiring people when ya grow up in pakistan  :-*
carpe` vaginum!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 12:25:50 PM »

Your lack of empathy is sickening!

Prayer and praying is for the stupid people.  My favorite instance of mass prayer being completely ineffective is when Pope John Paul was on his death bed and BILLIONS of people were all praying simultaneously in every single country for him to pull through.  If there were EVER a time that prayer had a chance at working that would have been it. Never have so many prayed for the same result at the same time.  Guess what happened?  He kicked the bucket.

I also enjoy the study where those in a hospital knew they were being prayed for, actually had a WORSE outcome post-operative in part due to anxiety of knowledge of being prayed for.

In a long-awaited comprehensive scientific study on the effects of intercessory prayer on the health and recovery of 1,802 patients undergoing coronary bypass surgery in six different hospitals, prayers offered by strangers had no effect. In fact, contrary to common belief, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications such as abnormal heart rhythms, possibly the result of anxiety caused by learning that they were being prayed for and thus their condition was more serious than anticipated.

The study, which cost $2.4 million (most of which came from the John Templeton Foundation), was begun almost a decade ago and was directed by Harvard University Medical School cardiologist Dr. Herbert Benson and published in The American Heart Journal, was by far the most rigorous and comprehensive study on the effects of intercessory prayer on the health and recovery of patients ever conducted.

http://www.dimaggio.org/Eye-Openers/prayer_does_not_work.htm

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »
TA - Hitchens showed in his book that prayer does not increase the probability of survival.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 01:47:15 PM »
TA - Hitchens showed in his book that prayer does not increase the probability of survival.
Indeed.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2009, 01:54:53 PM »
Religion: Hijacking a mind.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 02:03:23 PM »
I pray for all of you...

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 02:12:36 PM »
I pray for all of you...
Who do we pray to?

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 02:23:20 PM »
Who do we pray to?

I don't know if I understood but god of course... 8)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »
I don't know if I understood but god of course... 8)
Which one?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2009, 02:50:45 PM »
the only thing i pray for is continued financial success

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 02:58:24 PM »
Let's send XL 'drug-free bodybuilder' t-shirts to these families.
lets send flowers and XM due to the fact now they wear that size in bones,,

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 04:13:43 PM »
Which one?

The only true one of course.  8)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »
The only true one of course.  8)
Which is the true one?

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2009, 04:22:24 PM »
Perhaps we should pray for the uneducated folks that think the world can begin using water or solar powered vehicles. Pray to the God of Naivete.
U

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
Scientic studies revealed thatreligious people live longer

and are less likely to be depressed than atheists.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2009, 06:25:32 PM »
If at best it does no good, it also does no harm.

Stop being a 'pseudo-tough guy' croatch. You have turned into a real doofus recently.

good post. i have been a skeptic all my life....but you just never know do you?- i mean theres no proof either way is there?

ppl get an amazing buzz from being positive and adopting some form of belief structure that seems to work for them. its much more psychologically satisfying than saying - ahh well, that's coincidence and there's a 0.000045923% chance of that happening... sure, that may be true, but somewhere, someone has to represent that slim chance..why cant it be you?

what is true is that yoiu cant control what is out of your control. you either deal with it as defeatist, or hedge your bets that things will work out.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2009, 06:27:28 PM »
Your lack of empathy is sickening!

Prayer and praying is for the stupid people.  My favorite instance of mass prayer being completely ineffective is when Pope John Paul was on his death bed and BILLIONS of people were all praying simultaneously in every single country for him to pull through.  If there were EVER a time that prayer had a chance at working that would have been it. Never have so many prayed for the same result at the same time.  Guess what happened?  He kicked the bucket.

I also enjoy the study where those in a hospital knew they were being prayed for, actually had a WORSE outcome post-operative in part due to anxiety of knowledge of being prayed for.

In a long-awaited comprehensive scientific study on the effects of intercessory prayer on the health and recovery of 1,802 patients undergoing coronary bypass surgery in six different hospitals, prayers offered by strangers had no effect. In fact, contrary to common belief, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a higher rate of post-operative complications such as abnormal heart rhythms, possibly the result of anxiety caused by learning that they were being prayed for and thus their condition was more serious than anticipated.

The study, which cost $2.4 million (most of which came from the John Templeton Foundation), was begun almost a decade ago and was directed by Harvard University Medical School cardiologist Dr. Herbert Benson and published in The American Heart Journal, was by far the most rigorous and comprehensive study on the effects of intercessory prayer on the health and recovery of patients ever conducted.

http://www.dimaggio.org/Eye-Openers/prayer_does_not_work.htm

actually this study is irrelevent in that you are trying to prove what is already known statistically and logically. There is no surprise that the results are this..the point is that the psychological power is immeasurable.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2009, 06:29:58 PM »
Which is the true one?

The one I believe in of course.  ;D

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2009, 06:30:58 PM »

again, this is irrelevent as religion isnt based on scientific rationale...its an ambiguous belief adopted by an individual.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »
our brains aren't complex enough to understand how our brains work.

So it's probably safe to say our brains couldn't comprehend some force that created us, or any life forms more evolved than us.

If there are aliens, if there's a God, we sure as heck wouldn't be able to understand them anyway, with our pea brains.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
good post. i have been a skeptic all my life....but you just never know do you?- i mean theres no proof either way is there?

ppl get an amazing buzz from being positive and adopting some form of belief structure that seems to work for them. its much more psychologically satisfying than saying - ahh well, that's coincidence and there's a 0.000045923% chance of that happening... sure, that may be true, but somewhere, someone has to represent that slim chance..why cant it be you?

what is true is that yoiu cant control what is out of your control. you either deal with it as defeatist, or hedge your bets that things will work out.

thanks dude.

i am a practising roman catholic - i dont try to convert anyone

i spend 40mins a week in a building with otehr like minded people praying together. What harm am i doing/ none.