Author Topic: British Bulldogs Thread:  (Read 182827 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: British Bulldogs Thread:
« Reply #200 on: December 28, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »
Bulldogs, Warrior & the Barbarian all lifted together on the road for a while.
I believe that Davey & Hellwig were both receiving hGH from the same British pharmacy.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #201 on: December 29, 2010, 02:56:35 AM »
I never realized how much size warrior lost from his early 1988 matches as compared to his later 89/90 ones.

even by WM6 he was super cut but not nearly as big as he was in his early WWF matches.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #202 on: December 29, 2010, 04:13:39 AM »
I never realized how much size warrior lost from his early 1988 matches as compared to his later 89/90 ones.

even by WM6 he was super cut but not nearly as big as he was in his early WWF matches.
You gotta remember too that back then they were on the road 325 days a year, straight. Hard to train when you are on the move constantly in different cities, having to find a good gym, make time to eat, get to a hotel, rest, etc. He still looked phenomenal and I give him credit for always bringing a good physique to the table.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2010, 05:39:45 AM »
I like the Brett Hart Scale. We should rate some wrestlers. This is how I would rate a few of them.

Ric Flair

1. Physical look/presence: 10 (the aura and prestige of what a champion should look like)

2. Ability to talk: 10 (top 5 in the history of the sport)

3. Wrestling ability: 10 (could have a match with anyone and has had some of the best ever in the sport)

Hulk Hogan

1. 10 (Champion of the world, with his look he became a cultural icon)

2. 9 (despite some flaws, Hogan always got your attention and could sell the match)

3. 4 (got better as time went on and he had some of the most memorable matches ever)

Brett Hart

1. 7 (Not iconic by any means, but had a unique look for his time but eventually became dated)

2. 5 (promos is where Brett lacked, they were 50/50, some good some bad. His debate against Flair in WCW showed just how far below Hart was to someone with Flairs level of mic work)

3. 10 (Awesome technical wrestler, could have a match with a broom)

Ultimate Warrior (I agree with Montage on this one)

1. 10 (the look of a cartoon character)

2. 7 (despite his promos, Warrior always got your attention)

3. 2

Randy Savage

1. 10 (One of the best looks and presence ever)

2. 8 (Savage sometimes went off on rants that no one could understand but he was still so charismatic)

3. 10 (could do it all and anywhere in the arena)

Roddy Piper

1. 7 (it was Piper's mouth that carried him more than his look. The kilt was awesome though)

2. 10 (top 5 ever no doubt)

3. 6 (Piper was more of a brawler, but some of his moves were fantastic especially the two finger eye poke)

Ricky Steamboat

1. 8 (Ric Flair said it best, the women went more nuts for Steamboat than even the Von Erichs. His only knock was that he couldn't be a heel)

2. 4 (He could get the point across but it always lacked drama and suspense)

3. 10 (I think he was one of the top 5 workers of all time. He could have a match with anyone and make it believable. He was so fluid.)

Shawn Micheals

1. 9 (I rate him in the same category as Steamboat but he was a lot more flashy and arrogant)

2. 7 (I thought he got much better as time passed but he was far from the best or quick witted

3. 10 (Maybe the 2nd best worker ever and could go down as the greatest considering he took wrestling to the next level)

You guys got some??

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #204 on: December 29, 2010, 06:28:21 AM »
Well, since this is a BB thread, I'll rate the cousins:

Look: 9-10 (at their best, though Davey improved even more later)
Talk: 2-3 (Dyno getting more the 2)
Wrestling skill: solid 10

Total: apprx. 22

Although, I still feel that Smith was deserving of at least one h-w title run, if only as a brief, transitional champ.

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2010, 08:54:39 AM »
Well, since this is a BB thread, I'll rate the cousins:

Look: 9-10 (at their best, though Davey improved even more later)
Talk: 2-3 (Dyno getting more the 2)
Wrestling skill: solid 10

Total: apprx. 22

Although, I still feel that Smith was deserving of at least one h-w title run, if only as a brief, transitional champ.

Had it not been for the steroid trial, I expect we might have seen some kind of title run on Davey Boy; he was one of the only guys who physically looked like he could match UW, and with that kind of wrestling ability, it could have been a strong man feud for the ages.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2010, 09:52:20 AM »
Had it not been for the steroid trial, I expect we might have seen some kind of title run on Davey Boy; he was one of the only guys who physically looked like he could match UW, and with that kind of wrestling ability, it could have been a strong man feud for the ages.

Agree.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: December 29, 2010, 10:11:55 AM »
He had the IC title for two months...i'm sure he would have had it a lot longer had Vince not been scrutinized for steroids.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2010, 04:58:56 PM »
Dynamite mentioned this match in his book.
Interesting is that towards the end, Adonis hooks a scorpion death-lock on Dyno.
The move barely elicited a reaction from the crowd.
A decade later, it would be the finisher for two of the industry's biggest stars.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: December 30, 2010, 05:02:00 AM »
Dynamite mentioned this match in his book.
Interesting is that towards the end, Adonis hooks a scorpion death-lock on Dyno.
The move barely elicited a reaction from the crowd.
A decade later, it would be the finisher for two of the industry's biggest stars.

F**k me.....that was a great classic! Classic Adrian Adonis with the black leather jacket and black hair!

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: December 30, 2010, 06:44:07 AM »
F**k me.....that was a great classic! Classic Adrian Adonis with the black leather jacket and black hair!

Yeah, that was the Adonis legacy; not that fruitcake gimmick the old man gave him at the end.
A lot of people go on & on about Bam Bam being a great "athletic big man," but Adrian was no slouch either.
He was a damn good worker and did spots that most guys his size and... um... shape would never dream of.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #211 on: December 30, 2010, 06:52:11 PM »

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #212 on: February 22, 2011, 11:01:05 AM »
Well, it's almost Spring...

Time to bump the 9-page "dead guy & cripple" thread:

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no24davey.html

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: February 23, 2011, 08:01:14 AM »

Yeah, that was the Adonis legacy; not that fruitcake gimmick the old man gave him at the end.
A lot of people go on & on about Bam Bam being a great "athletic big man," but Adrian was no slouch either.
He was a damn good worker and did spots that most guys his size and... um... shape would never dream of.

Check out the bumps he took against Piper at WM3. I liked Adonis especially in his black hair / leather jacket days.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: February 23, 2011, 08:13:37 AM »
Well, it's almost Spring...

Time to bump the 9-page "dead guy & cripple" thread:

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no24davey.html

Nice find, Mont! This is the part that gets me...

"Things soon got worse. On Sept. 13, 1998, Davey was hurled into the air during a match in Winston-Salem, N.C., and landed on the handle of a trapdoor built into the ring for a stunt. "I think I hurt my back," he told Diana when he came home to Calgary, where the couple had recently returned. For weeks, he wolfed down pills he'd hoarded: Tylenol 4, Valium, Soma. Finally, he pleaded with drug connections to get him something stronger. And so Davey Boy was introduced to morphine."

And yet, they always blame Roids.....its not roids!

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #215 on: February 23, 2011, 09:20:03 AM »
Adrian Adonis was a helluva worker....especially his Southwest Championship Wrestling days.  I remember reading where his wife said that the gimmick vince forced on him changed him drastically and sent him into depression, etc....

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: February 23, 2011, 09:42:02 AM »
Adrian Adonis was a helluva worker....especially his Southwest Championship Wrestling days.  I remember reading where his wife said that the gimmick vince forced on him changed him drastically and sent him into depression, etc....
I thought he did his best work in the AWA paired with Ventura.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #217 on: February 23, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »
I thought he did his best work in the AWA paired with Ventura.

East-West Connection was great too, no doubt.  Adonis should have come to the mid-atlantic.  his style would have fit perfectly, and with his accent people would have hated him immediately.. haha

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: February 23, 2011, 04:38:35 PM »
Nice find, Mont! This is the part that gets me...

"Things soon got worse. On Sept. 13, 1998, Davey was hurled into the air during a match in Winston-Salem, N.C., and landed on the handle of a trapdoor built into the ring for a stunt. "I think I hurt my back," he told Diana when he came home to Calgary, where the couple had recently returned. For weeks, he wolfed down pills he'd hoarded: Tylenol 4, Valium, Soma. Finally, he pleaded with drug connections to get him something stronger. And so Davey Boy was introduced to morphine."

And yet, they always blame Roids.....its not roids!

I still maintain it's the media's fault for the "facts" (and, I use that term very tongue-in-cheek) they portray & how they portray them.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2011, 05:17:09 AM »

I still maintain it's the media's fault for the "facts" (and, I use that term very tongue-in-cheek) they portray & how they portray them.
I totally agree.

On a side note, how f****n stupid was WCW putting a trap door with hinges sticking out of the mat in the corner of the ring not even realizing that someone could really hurt themselves? It was pretty much over for Bulldog after that. And for what? A dumb ass Hellwig entrance......wow....

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2011, 02:15:53 PM »
I totally agree.

On a side note, how f****n stupid was WCW putting a trap door with hinges sticking out of the mat in the corner of the ring not even realizing that someone could really hurt themselves? It was pretty much over for Bulldog after that. And for what? A dumb ass Hellwig entrance......wow....

...that didn't get him over, either!!

;D

Seriously, it was all the wrong people in charge of that place.
You can blame Ted for that.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2011, 02:16:52 PM »
oWn

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »
oWn

Yep, WCW got "oWn'ed" alright...BY VINCE!!!
 ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2011, 02:52:14 PM »

Yep, WCW got "oWn'ed" alright...BY VINCE!!!
 ;D

haha, I remember on an old wrestling forum I went to a guy had a thread titled "What do I do with my oWn t-shirt now?" a few months after UW left...... lol...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
haha, I remember on an old wrestling forum I went to a guy had a thread titled "What do I do with my oWn t-shirt now?" a few months after UW left...... lol...

Sell it as a "vintage" N.W.O. shirt to a dyslexic kid.