Author Topic: How dosen't the IFBB get busted for copyright infringement with Posing Musics?  (Read 2812 times)

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
I can't believe the people on here who pretend to know so much about everything yet they don't know the answer to this. 
No Worries 4 me

spinnis

I can't believe the people on here who pretend to know so much about everything yet they don't know the answer to this. 

the wieder brother(s) takes care of it. :)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast

Busted.  Better delete my account.  :(

Maybe the songs are somehow in the public domain.  More likely the IFBB has every competitor sign a waiver of some sort absolving the IFBB of everything from sprained ankles to suit for stuff like this being undertaken wholly on the part of the individual and without the prior knowledge or consent of the IFBB etc etc...  Just a guess.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
play this guy's music and let him find out.

gave youtube and webmasters fits

He did some great stuff before he jts.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Haven't had time to read all these posts, but when a promoter pays the NPC or IFBB sanction fee, it includes payment to ASCAP and possibly one other organization which allows all recorded songs to be used during the event.

ASCAP = The American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers

When this problem first arose the participating bodybuilders were concerned that they would have to pay any fee imposed for the use of the music/song that they were intending to use during their posing routines, but the sanctioning bodies (NPC/IFBB) releaved them of that responsibility by paying that fee on behalf of the production itself. Back then it was included in the sanction fees so actually the promoter paid it.

I believe it still works the same today.

In fact I recently heard that ASCAP now wants to collect a fee everytime your cell phone rings if it plays a tune. Someone should have registered "ring-ring" a long time ago.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
Haven't had time to read all these posts, but when a promoter pays the NPC or IFBB sanction fee, it includes payment to ASCAP and possibly one other organization which allows all recorded songs to be used during the event.

When this problem first arose the participating bodybuilders were concerned that they would have to pay any fee imposed for the use of the music/song that they were intending to use during their posing routines, but the sanctioning bodies (NPC/IFBB) releaved them of that responsibility by paying that fee on behalf of the production itself. Back then it was included in the sanction fees so actually the promoter paid it.

In fact I recently heard that ASCAP now wants to collect a fee everytime your cell phone rings if it plays a tune. Someone should have registered "ring-ring" a long time ago.

Very good.  Same thing when you own a gym.  You have to pay ASCAP if you plan to play music in the gym too.  But I know not everyone does this.
No Worries 4 me

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."

Excellent post.  This is true for the NPC. 

I would assume the same applies to the IFBB Pro League, but I don't know that for certain. 

adipo8

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Covered BY organization Thru BMI and ASCAP

Its a Membership to use pre recorded music at an event and including Television and Film.

Like NCAA , NFL , NBA, the NPC and IFBB are similar

Hope it helps also NPC Fees cover it on the National and Local level.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Adipo, why two (2) organizations? BMI and ASCAP?

Any idea?