Author Topic: Pelosi Aims for Health-Bill Vote Next Week  (Read 473 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Pelosi Aims for Health-Bill Vote Next Week
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:05:44 AM »
Pelosi Aims for Health-Bill Vote Next Week

WSJ

By PATRICK YOEST

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi at a news conference on health-care reform Tuesday.

WASHINGTON -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday that she expects the House will vote on health-care legislation next week, despite continued dissension among conservative Democrats on the measure.

When asked if the House would vote on the measure next week, Ms. Pelosi (D., Calif.) told reporters "that is what our intention is."

"We are going in a forward direction, we are on course, we are pleased with the progress that has been made," Ms. Pelosi said.

Seven members of the Blue Dog Coalition, a group of fiscally conservative Democrats, have threatened to withhold their support for the measure in the House Energy and Commerce Committee unless changes are made to control health-care costs and reduce the package's overall price-tag. Since their support is likely needed for approval of the bill in the Energy and Commerce panel, it is currently at a stand-still.

Ms. Pelosi on Wednesday said that "some of the issues that the Blue Dogs have put forth are issues that we're all worried about," and she suggested that she was open to the group's proposal to create a strengthened outside advisory council for Medicare.

While the concept of a Medicare council has won praise from the White House because it could help rein in long-term health costs, some lawmakers have suggested it would unduly diminish congressional authority to decide the level of Medicare payments to doctors and hospitals.

Ms. Pelosi indicated that there could be middle ground on the proposal, however.

"We want to do it in a way that respects the prerogative of the United States Congress as well as the president of the United States," Ms. Pelosi said.

Write to Patrick Yoest at patrick.yoest@dowjones.com

________________________ ________________________ ________________

These people truly are insane. 

2010 is going to make 1994 look like, well, a tea party. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Pelosi Aims for Health-Bill Vote Next Week
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »
from the little I've read I'm not impressed with this bill.

It's 1017 pages (most likely written by lobbyists) and has the approval of the AMA.   Just that alone tells me it's probably going to do more harm than good.

Something has to be done but I don't think anyone knows all the details of this plan.

The Repub talking point that this bill will be a "rationing" of health care is nutty considering we already have a system of rationing where HMO's make medical decisions and over-ride doctors based solely on retaining profits.   HMO add nothing to the system and are there ONLY to make money.  Something does have to be done but I'm not sure this bill is the solution.   We really need a single payer system but that will never happen. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »
from the little I've read I'm not impressed with this bill.

It's 1017 pages (most likely written by lobbyists) and has the approval of the AMA.   Just that alone tells me it's probably going to do more harm than good.

Something has to be done but I don't think anyone knows all the details of this plan.

The Repub talking point that this bill will be a "rationing" of health care is nutty considering we already have a system of rationing where HMO's make medical decisions and over-ride doctors based solely on retaining profits.   HMO add nothing to the system and are there ONLY to make money.  Something does have to be done but I'm not sure this bill is the solution.   We really need a single payer system but that will never happen. 

Straw -

Think about this.  The provisions of the bill dont go into place until 2013.  Why the rush to do it next month instead of letting people digest what is really in this thing?   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:41:57 PM »
Straw -

Think about this.  The provisions of the bill dont go into place until 2013.  Why the rush to do it next month instead of letting people digest what is really in this thing?   

no argument from me on that

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:06:06 PM »
no argument from me on that

This is what is so damn troubling to many of us about this admn.  Its like we get a new Patriot Act rammed through every damn month with the usual scare tactics.

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 04:12:35 PM »
Straw -

I agree also.  Let them stay in Washington, DC for August and hash it out.  Instead of going home to let lobbyists and special interest spin their webs.  Or better yet, let them give up their government healthcare until they can come up with healthcare for all American people.
Sandra