Author Topic: Does it confuse you when you see bigger people lifting lighter weights?  (Read 10494 times)

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
My point is, bicep or tricep work alone won't be as productive as incorporating heavy compounds into the routine.

agreed but

heavy compounds alone wouldnt be as productive as heavy compounds + direct arm work

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
Spot on

Haha what do you know about compounds or lifting heavy, "big" guy? ::)

agreed but

heavy compounds alone wouldnt be as productive as heavy compounds + direct arm work

Absolutely. No arguments there. But I see a lot of guys (mainly beginners) who just do a lot of cable work and machine work for back (like lat pulldowns, cable rows and hyperextensions) for example, and I'm just saying they'd put on a lot more size faster if they incorporated more compounds into their workout.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Haha what do you know about compounds or lifting heavy, "big" guy? ::)

AHAHAAH!!!  There are things, tough stuff?   :D

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
Absolutely. No arguments there. But I see a lot of guys (mainly beginners) who just do a lot of cable work and machine work for back (like lat pulldowns, cable rows and hyperextensions) for example, and I'm just saying they'd put on a lot more size faster if they incorporated more compounds into their workout.

it depends on how experienced the lifter is, but for the most part i agree.

a beginner or a lifte without good training extincts and form and mind muscle connection....    theyd pretty much HAVE to do hevay compounds to stimulate all the fibers and grow..

but a lifter who knows hwo to work out properly, could kick ass on iso machine work... like seated machine rows, lat pulldowns, straight arm push downs, standing low pulley rows, etc.

personally i like to start with a few feel sets with light weight and high reps on an isolation movement, then do heavy compounds with as much weight as i can use in good form with reps around 4-6...then after i do that i move into isolation mpovements and machine ans work in the 6-12 rep range.....   i like this way besti

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
I can curl 60lbs dumbells for 8 reps with Perfect form but you have all seen how small my arms are (15 and half inches), then you look at Levrone's newest videos where hes only curling 50s and they are killing him, yet his biceps are much bigger than mine. Also Arnold lifted fairly light weights, never saw him bench more than 120kg and never saw him curl more than 60kg barbell.
 :-\

It's all drugs/genetics...  :-\

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA we all seen your pic, perfect form HAHAHAHAHAHA

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
99% of get biggers would put big money that you definatly dont curl 60lbs, even with cheating form................

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
I was talking about Feeling it.

Alot of pros, cant name any right now though lol had said, If you cant Feel it working, it aint working..

Sure, that's the case to a degree, especially with multi-joint movements that don't just isolate one muscle group and where the way you perform the lift shifts the load between different groups. But take a movement like leg-extensions where you really can't cheat (if you stay on the pad). One guy never increases load and another does, and does it the exact same way, same tempo, same speed. That's where load is the factor that decides how productive it will be. It's silly for a pro to say "I can make a 10lb dumbell feel like 50lbs and will be just as good for growth". No, 50lbs will be better if you are able to do it "correctly". Execution being the same, load is the factor that decides how much you'll grow.

But, the really funny thing is, like I said, that most pros who say the weight doesn't matter use entirely too much weight a lot of times.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
I laugh when Getbiggers scoff at someone's claim of curling 60lb dbs.  "Ok, sure you curled 60s." 

Shows me how weak and fragile most of you are.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
he's got 15 inch arms for fucks sake......... ive had 19's, would have struggled with 60's with good form

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
he's got 15 inch arms for fucks sake......... ive had 19's, would have struggled with 60's with good form

The guy in the pic definitely does not curl 60s without a lot of cheating and momentum.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
Show me a 1000 people that use perfect form training arms and I'll show you 10 million that don't.

Perfect form can't always be utilized...not if you want to break a barrier and keep moving forward.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
ok... show me someone with 15" arms who curls 60's with half decent form then,,,,,,,, think i'll be waiting along time

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
The term "perfect form" is completely and totally relative.  I use form that most here would completely criticize yet somehow my arms grow.   Hmmmmmmmm.

uberman09

• Getbig IV
method you place is at bbing.com forums, not here. GTFO.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
form is relative to structure and what i right form for one may not be right form for another.... if your using the correct form you will feel the weight in the target muscle without having to focus on it... if you have to put tons of thought into getting your target muscle doing the majority of the work, then your form needs to be adjested..... (with some exceptions being things like rear delts)

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The term "perfect form" is completely and totally relative.  I use form that most here would completely criticize yet somehow my arms grow.   Hmmmmmmmm.

ok... what im saying is, if in fact he can even pick up the 60lb db, he could maybe only limbo dance the fucker up once or twice if that....

i know form is relative, it should at least resemble a curl tho...

bigmc

• Getbig V
Not deadlifts alone and not directly. But along with other compound exercises, they make you stronger and bigger overall. Take a guy who's never done deadlifts and heavy rows (along with bench, dips etc), make him work on lifting big weights with good form and his arms will improve noticeably. My point is, bicep or tricep work alone won't be as productive as incorporating heavy compounds into the routine.

great post

the amount of twinks i see training their arms for two hours at a time cracks me up
T

Method101

• Getbig V
I laugh when Getbiggers scoff at someone's claim of curling 60lb dbs.  "Ok, sure you curled 60s." 

Shows me how weak and fragile most of you are.
exactly.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
I can curl 60lbs dumbells for 8 reps with Perfect form but you have all seen how small my arms are (15 and half inches), then you look at Levrone's newest videos where hes only curling 50s and they are killing him, yet his biceps are much bigger than mine. Also Arnold lifted fairly light weights, never saw him bench more than 120kg and never saw him curl more than 60kg barbell.
 :-\

It's all drugs/genetics...  :-\

When you do a high volume of work, you are forced to drop the weight.  Schwarzenegger was a competitive powerlifter in his early days and put up impresive numbers.

Luv_2build

• Getbig III
maybe the fact that they are bigger and lifting less should indicate to you that getting big is not simply done by lifting heavy weights.  Like Chick says, "it's not how much you lift, it's how much you look like you can lift."  Plus not lifting as heavy will extend your ability to workout injury free.

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
most bodybuilders are wweaklings,,very few of us are truly strong,, the strong bodybuilders you see arounnd that look good and still lift very heavy weight will be around 215lb 7-8%  at 5'9 5'10 or so ,,after that its all puff and buff with most bodybuilders since they all blow up ,,very few of us actually grow and get truly strong like ron did  and like i did and number of others

mj15 approved
fallen angel

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
When you see a big guy lifting relatively light weights you see a guy that has checked his ego at the door.you see a guy that has a total grasp on the mind muscle connection.
DAWG

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Today for biceps I was curling a 50lb barbell and 20lb for hammer curls.

I was training incredibly fast. Fuck heavy weights on biceps theygrow fine on back day

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B

ok... what im saying is, if in fact he can even pick up the 60lb db, he could maybe only limbo dance the fucker up once or twice if that....

i know form is relative, it should at least resemble a curl tho...

I remember a beginning trainer asked me what i thought of his form on bb curls (after he said how huge and great i was) and I told him.....

FUCK FORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/color]

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
Thread didn't go as planned.  :)