Author Topic: College Grad sues school for 70G since she cant find a job.  (Read 12586 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: College Grad sues school for 70G since she cant find a job.
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 10:41:44 AM »
This is why we should be really pushing apprenticships. 

agreed.  if you're in the 9th and 10th grade, and testing at under 50% percentile, you're statistically not gonna finish college and be a doctor.

WHy not spend 4 hours a day learning welding or electrician work?

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »
agreed.  if you're in the 9th and 10th grade, and testing at under 50% percentile, you're statistically not gonna finish college and be a doctor.

WHy not spend 4 hours a day learning welding or electrician work?

Most kids scoring uber-low are the ones that are all but useless.

You think they are going to be interested in learning welding and electrician work... or are they going to skip and drop out of that too, and go be delinquents anyway?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »
Most kids scoring uber-low are the ones that are all but useless.

You think they are going to be interested in learning welding and electrician work... or are they going to skip and drop out of that too, and go be delinquents anyway?

tell them they can sit in physics and algeba all day, or they can fix cars and weld... i'm guessing more choose the welding. 

or don't give them the choice.  if you are below 40 percentile or you skip x amount of classes, you get moved to vo-tech.

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »
From a personal point of view, I think colleges are a complete failure in preparing students for the employment market. 
I'd have to agree. It's all about the money colleges can rake in. I took up welding and it took 2yrs to finish. The money was ok, of course not the best, but I felt like I could have learned everything about welding in 6 months tops, and that's stretching it. Then when I got into the field I was amazed to see how many unintelligent people were doing it and I started feeling like the dumb one for spending my time and money on learning it. :P It maybe something to fall on in the future but yea, colleges do not need to false advertise their employment rate or whatever cause your basically on your own

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 01:16:04 PM »
I'd have to agree. It's all about the money colleges can rake in. I took up welding and it took 2yrs to finish. The money was ok, of course not the best, but I felt like I could have learned everything about welding in 6 months tops, and that's stretching it. Then when I got into the field I was amazed to see how many unintelligent people were doing it and I started feeling like the dumb one for spending my time and money on learning it. :P It maybe something to fall on in the future but yea, colleges do not need to false advertise their employment rate or whatever cause your basically on your own

Hey look at Jesse James. 

He always says:  "I'm just a welder"

Dude has a hot wife, West Coast Choppers, a TV Show, Monster Garage, etc. 

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
Hey look at Jesse James. 

He always says:  "I'm just a welder"

Dude has a hot wife, West Coast Choppers, a TV Show, Monster Garage, etc. 
Correction ''Glorified Welder'' haha
Yea I watch his show sometimes. The man can do anything with metal, crazy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 01:20:23 PM »
Correction ''Glorified Welder'' haha
Yea I watch his show sometimes. The man can do anything with metal, crazy.

Monster Garage was a cool show.  I like Jesse James.  He seems like real cool dude. 

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 01:21:42 PM »
Monster Garage was a cool show.  I like Jesse James.  He seems like real cool dude. 
Definitely!

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 02:26:10 PM »
You guys DO know however, that alot of vo-tech guys make A LOT more than a lot of uni grads, yes?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 02:36:05 PM »
I didnt pay for a gym but go that with tuition as well, didnt pay for football tickets but got that as well...WHAT IM SAYING IS THAT IT SHOULD BE INCLUDED AND BE MUCH MORE COMPREHENSIVE BAY...I totally agree with you on your points but the placement programs in alot of colleges are abissmal and again equate to nothing more then going onto monster.com this shouldnt be the case I dont know if youve priced colleges these days but they arent cheap and get more expensive by the semester. 

Once again, I think you are being unrealistic.  There are simply too many (bad, mediocre, poorly motivated) students out there for schools to take on the task of finding every one of them a job.  A college education—like the job market itself—separates the wheat from the chaff.  I have had many students over the years whom I have written recommendation letters for, served as references for, or even hired, but I have many more (a majority) I would never recommend/hire even though they managed to get a passing grade.  It would be institutional suicide for any school to officially take on the task of finding a job for every student. 

As for the cost, going to a pricey private undergraduate school is foolish unless you have the bill paid (scholarship, parents, etc.)  State schools are very affordable and for talented, motivated students from modest backgrounds they are engines of opportunity that lead to gainful employment.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 02:55:09 PM »
this girl suing probably knows it's bunk... but she and her lawyer get a lot of exposure, and somebody may pay her for interviews, etc.  Short-term fix to her long term problem (stupidity).

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 03:29:02 PM »
Once again, I think you are being unrealistic.  There are simply too many (bad, mediocre, poorly motivated) students out there for schools to take on the task of finding every one of them a job.  A college education—like the job market itself—separates the wheat from the chaff.  I have had many students over the years whom I have written recommendation letters for, served as references for, or even hired, but I have many more (a majority) I would never recommend/hire even though they managed to get a passing grade.  It would be institutional suicide for any school to officially take on the task of finding a job for every student. 

As for the cost, going to a pricey private undergraduate school is foolish unless you have the bill paid (scholarship, parents, etc.)  State schools are very affordable and for talented, motivated students from modest backgrounds they are engines of opportunity that lead to gainful employment.

I never said they should find employment for every student simply provide more then a mere data base of job openings again why not just go onto monster.com? refute that point the majority of placement programs from universities really equate to nothing more then that, agree or disagree? Whether you accept it or not the placement program is something that is wrapped in the tuition and all im saying is that more money and effort should go to developing that program then other less worthy programs...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
this girl suing probably knows it's bunk... but she and her lawyer get a lot of exposure, and somebody may pay her for interviews, etc.  Short-term fix to her long term problem (stupidity).
agreed, the university should file a law suit against her for this ridiculous shit.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2009, 04:48:23 PM »
I never said they should find employment for every student simply provide more then a mere data base of job openings again why not just go onto monster.com? refute that point the majority of placement programs from universities really equate to nothing more then that, agree or disagree? Whether you accept it or not the placement program is something that is wrapped in the tuition and all im saying is that more money and effort should go to developing that program then other less worthy programs...

Are you qualified to evaluate the CSO at “the majority” of schools?  I’m not.  How many have you been exposed to?  The few I have experience with have been good to excellent.  Ironically CSOs tend to work best for students who already have their acts together.  The hapless student who majored in art history, communications, or psychology, did no internships, has no experience, and had little direction to begin with is not going to get much out of a CSO.

If the CSO at a given school is “bad” it may well be that is a poor quality institution, all of which begs the question of why the student chose to attend that particular school in the first place.  :-\

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2009, 05:02:41 PM »
$18 an hour????

Shit, when I graduated law school, the best out there was 60 hours a week for 40k a year.

Everyone feels entitled now... They all want to start out making 75k a year... That's bullshit.

You work your way up to that salary... You don't just graduate and get it.

Todays kids are ridiculous.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2009, 05:48:19 PM »
Everyone feels entitled now... They all want to start out making 75k a year... That's bullshit.

Do you realize how you sound?  LOL Someone is turning into an old man... it happens to all of us.  ;D

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2009, 06:23:42 PM »
she is gooing to win,,,,this I know and get media attention at the same time she will find a job with a company based on media relations

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2009, 06:40:27 PM »
Do you realize how you sound.  LOL Someone is turning into an old man... it happens to all of us.  ;D

This is true... *sigh*

At least I still party like a twenty something.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2009, 07:35:56 PM »
Are you qualified to evaluate the CSO at “the majority” of schools?  I’m not.  How many have you been exposed to?  The few I have experience with have been good to excellent.  Ironically CSOs tend to work best for students who already have their acts together.  The hapless student who majored in art history, communications, or psychology, did no internships, has no experience, and had little direction to begin with is not going to get much out of a CSO.

If the CSO at a given school is “bad” it may well be that is a poor quality institution, all of which begs the question of why the student chose to attend that particular school in the first place.  :-\
the best job finding tool associated with a school in general is a alumni network...now you want to argue about qualifications? are you qualified to make those statments about art history, communications and psychology majors? LOL again the vast majority of college assistance in jobs takes the place in a job database again which equates to nothing more then going to monster.com...AGAIN im not saying that they should find every student a job but for the price students pay for tuition those programs should be much more indepth and comprehensive then most of them are. Students do actually pay for that in their tuition and those are much more worthy programs then alot of others out there.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2009, 07:38:50 PM »

totally agree

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2009, 07:45:16 PM »
She can enlist in the Army and have them pay the loans for her. ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2009, 07:48:05 PM »
She can enlist in the Army and have them pay the loans for her. ;D
actually unless you go into certain jobs or go in as an enlisted they wont at least when i looked into it and also those bonuses for for enlisting are generally only for enlisted personel not officers...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2009, 05:04:01 AM »

Here is the problem Tu.   Many of these kids have massive loans and cant afford to take low paying jobs.  They are really screwed because their skills dont command high salaries yet their debt obligations require a high salary.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2009, 05:57:33 AM »
Here is the problem Tu.   Many of these kids have massive loans and cant afford to take low paying jobs.  They are really screwed because their skills dont command high salaries yet their debt obligations require a high salary.   
agree and this is why its essential to work while attending school as to pay or at the very least help pay for your schooling.

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2009, 12:37:28 PM »
Yea but bottom line is college cost too damn much and like I said earlier if ya get into college shoot for a high end field. Make sure the reward outweighs the risk. You can be 2-3yrs or longer trying to pay off loans and wishing the job you have paid more.

And My opinion of the topic. I hope she does get some money for suing them. This will set an example for colleges to stop making false hopes and just taking peoples money. Every year or semester tuition goes up but there are more people out there with no jobs to go to.