Author Topic: N. Korean leader reportedly pardons U.S. journalists  (Read 1981 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: N. Korean leader reportedly pardons U.S. journalists
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »

Cheney has pursued a political and corporate career to make himself very rich and powerful. He is the personification of a war profiteer who slid through the revolving door connecting the public and private sectors of the defense establishment on two occasions in a career that has served his relentless quest for power and profits.

As Defense Secretary, Mr. Cheney commissioned a study for the U.S. Department of Defense by Brown and Root Services , a wholly owned subsidiary of Halliburton. The study recommended that private firms like Halliburton should take over logistical support programs for U.S. military operations around the world. Just two years after he was Secretary of Defense, Cheney stepped through the revolving door linking the Department of Defense with defense contractors and became CEO of Halliburton. Halliburton was the principal beneficiary of Cheney’s privatization efforts for our military’s logistical support and Cheney was paid $44 million for five year's work with them before he slipped back through the revolving door of war profiteering to become Vice-President of the United States. When asked about the money he received from Halliburton, Cheney said. "I tell you that the government had absolutely nothing to do with it."

The Bush administration has dished out lucrative reconstruction contracts in Iraq to favored U.S. based corporations including Halliburton and denied contracts to many Iraqi and foreign based companies. To the conquerors go the spoils was the message on December 11, 2003 when Bush said, “The taxpayers understand why it makes sense for countries that risk lives to participate in the contracts in Iraq, It's very simple. Our people risk their lives, friendly coalition folks risk their lives, and therefore the contracting is going to reflect that.”

Bush’s statement is a stunning admission of how much corrupt corporations control our foreign policy. Under Cheney’s leadership Halliburton out did Enron in using offshore subsidiaries as tax shelters to hide profits to bilk U.S. taxpayers. Halliburton also utilized off-shore subsidiaries to contract for services and sell banned equipment to rogue states like Iran, Iraq and Libya. This would be illegal if done directly by Halliburton.

At last count Halliburton had 58 offshore subsidiaries in Caribbean tax havens. With Cheney at the helm Halliburton’s tax payments to the U.S. went from $302 million in 1998 to zero in 1999, when they also received a refund of $85 million from the Internal Revenue Service.

During Cheney’s tenure as CEO from 1995 to 2000, Halliburton Products and Services set up shop in Iran. The Halliburton subsidiary does approximately $40 million a year worth of oil field service work for the Iranian government. 60 Minutes correspondent Lesley Stahl visited the subsidiary in the Cayman Islands and found that it had no office and no employees. The mailing address was a local bank with which the subsidiary is registered. Stahl was met there by the bank’s manager who informed her that all mail to the subsidiary is forwarded to Halliburton headquarters in Houston. Halliburton had created the subsidiary to allow itself to do illegal business with a rogue state and to skip out on its taxes in the process.

With Iran’s president vowing to destroy Israel and being accused by the Bush administration of harboring and aiding al-Qaeda operatives, Cheney’s company is doing business with Iran through a subsidiary and dodging its tax obligations to the U.S.

Halliburton has been more closely associated with the invasion of Iraq than any other corporation. Before the Iraq War began, it was 19th on the U.S. Army's list of top contractors and zoomed to number 1 in 2003. In 2003 Halliburton made $4.2 billion from the U.S. government. Cheney stated he had , "severed all my ties with the company, gotten rid of all my financial interest."

Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) recently asserted that Cheney's stock options which were worth $241,498 a year ago, are now valued at more than $8 million-- for an increase of 3,281% . Cheney has pledged to give the proceeds to charity. Cheney continues to received a deferred salary from the company. He was paid $205,298 in 2001; $162,392 in 2002; $178,437 in 2003; and $194,852 in 2004.

The Congressional Research Service has concluded that holding stock options while in elective office does constitute a “financial interest” whether or not the holder of the options donates the proceeds to charities, and deferred compensation is also a financial interest.

Calling on Cheney to sever his financial ties to Halliburton, Lautenberg points out that the company has already raked in more than $10 billion for work in Iraq, and was handed some of the first Katrina contracts. The company has been criticized by auditors for its handling of no-bid contacts in Iraq, and there have been numerous allegations of over charging for services. Auditors found the firm marked up meal prices for troops and inflated gas prices in a deal with a Kuwaiti supplier. The company also built the American prison at Guantanamo Bay. Lautenberg said, "It is unseemly for the Vice President to continue to benefit from this company at the same time his Administration funnels billions of dollars to it.”

Cheney’s war profiteering requires redress and justice

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 11:57:26 PM »
Good job Bill.

N. Korean leader reportedly pardons U.S. journalists

(CNN) -- North Korean President Kim Jong Il has pardoned and ordered the release of two U.S. journalists, state-run news agency KCNA said Wednesday.

The announcement came after former U.S. President Bill Clinton met with top North Korean officials in Pyongyang to appeal for the release of Laura Ling and Euna Lee, who had been arrested while reporting from the border between North Korea and China.

"Clinton expressed words of sincere apology to Kim Jong Il for the hostile acts committed by the two American journalists against the DPRK after illegally intruding into it," the news agency reported. "Clinton courteously conveyed to Kim Jong Il an earnest request of the U.S. government to leniently pardon them and send them back home from a humanitarian point of view.

The report said Clinton then conveyed a message from President Obama "expressing profound thanks for this and reflecting views on ways of improving the relations between the two countries."

This is what you call "Diplomacy". But meatheads like HH6 woudn't understand that.
Unless bombs drop, grenades go off, tanks roll, and someone is seriously fucking someone or something up,
...it's just weak liberal douche baggery in their eyes, ...even if it accomplishes the same goals without destruction and loss of life or property.

Earlier in the day, White House Secretary Robert Gibbs said Clinton was on a "solely private mission to secure the release of two Americans."

Now even a liberal like me can't even swallow that crap. Let's face it, ...when Bill was elected, America got two for the price of one. Now that Hilary is Secretary of State, ...the same deal applies, ...except now they have plausible deniability without establishing any "official" precedents or responsibility, or need to save face, if negotiations go south.

w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 12:00:11 AM »
Well done Clinton.

As empty as paradise

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 12:12:11 AM »
Well done Clinton.

does he read getbig?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 12:17:48 AM »
true colors...  how did I know some people would have nothing good to say about this.  Take a look at the people in this thread that had nothing good to say about this.  These are the people you can't trust with anything they say.  They're so bias, so filled with anger, they've made up their minds on things that haven't even happend yet.  They'll give no credit where due.  I'm not a big Clinton fan whatsoever but I can't find anything in this to immediately mock.  WTF?  Talk about a character flaw...  Some of you would fit right in over at the Hannity forums.  They were mocking Clinton within minutes of the news. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2009, 12:34:57 AM »
I love how the democrat haters can't say a damn thing good about people when good shit gets done.

Weren't people upset because they swore that these Democrats wouldn't get anything done and those poor reporters would be fucked?

Yet here they are... Free and clear.

Fucking democrats. ::)

So since taking office, Obamas staff or an extension of it have.

1. Shown force by smacking down some Somali Pirates.
2. Had 2 Journalists freed in North Korea
3. Diverted troops to where the real war should be fought, Afghanistan.

Yeah, he sure seems like a pussy who doesn't get anything done.

Morons.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 12:42:57 AM »
they're critical of everything and everyone left of center.  It's not about what's right or wrong/good or bad for them, it's about seeing a dem or liberal fail and that's all it's about. So I really don't know why anyone should take anything they say serious?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 12:45:17 AM »
It just doesn't make any sense...

Ok, fine... You think Obama spends too much money... I get that.

You think his Healthcare plan or Cap & Trade will cause your costs to rise... Ok... I can even get that.

But to sit here and tell me that the Pirates were handled poorly, or that NK didn't release the prisoners due to what a "liberal democrat" said or didn't say, is ridiculous.

That's just being a right wing lunatic... Not at all an independent thinker.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 05:49:06 AM »
It just doesn't make any sense...

Ok, fine... You think Obama spends too much money... I get that.

You think his Healthcare plan or Cap & Trade will cause your costs to rise... Ok... I can even get that.

But to sit here and tell me that the Pirates were handled poorly, or that NK didn't release the prisoners due to what a "liberal democrat" said or didn't say, is ridiculous.

The pirates were handled properly.

However, I want to know what North korea got in return that we are not being told about.  Kim Jong is not stupid and he definately got something that is not being advertised.   

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 06:24:36 AM »

However, I want to know what North korea got in return that we are not being told about.  Kim Jong is not stupid and he definately got something that is not being advertised.   

Maybe Clinton was just able to use his charm (remember, he won two elections) and play to the ego of Kim Jong Il.

I wouldn't rule that out.

I've heard a female reporter admit that she got turned on by just being in the same room as Clinton and hearing him speak.

As empty as paradise

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 06:24:47 AM »

Why don't you just continue to make up some shit.  Like the idiots over at the hannity forums did seconds after the news.  No waiting to find out the facts, just make unfounded accusations because it involved Clinton.  You know you could have said something like: As long as we didn't give up anything, good job by Clinton in this instance.  But no, you would rather just assume the worst and stick to your guns on it.  NICE... and exactly why I will not take anything you say serious.  You're just another Rush/Hannity/Coulter type.  You acted like you weren't, but that's exactly who you've shown yourself to be. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2009, 06:31:46 AM »
Why don't you just continue to make up some shit.  Like the idiots over at the hannity forums did seconds after the news.  No waiting to find out the facts, just make unfounded accusations because it involved Clinton.  You know you could have said something like: As long as we didn't give up anything, good job by Clinton in this instance.  But no, you would rather just assume the worst and stick to your guns on it.  NICE... and exactly why I will not take anything you say serious.  You're just another Rush/Hannity/Coulter type.  You acted like you weren't, but that's exactly who you've shown yourself to be. 

Why?  Because I know what NK has done for the past 15 years? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 06:33:18 AM »
Maybe Clinton was just able to use his charm (remember, he won two elections) and play to the ego of Kim Jong Il.

I've heard a female reporter admit that she got turned on by just being in the same room as Clinton and hearing him speak.

He could have just bullshitted them like politicians do.  and Clinton is one of the best.  Maybe telling them that the American People see absolutely no chance at reasonable bargaining with NK.  But if they freed these girls, it could open up some trust for the people here and thereby benefiting them greatly in any possible future negotiations.  He could have painted it in a way as to make them think they were worth a lot free.  That doesn't make it true, nobody here trusts NK and we're not about to start after them going back on everything ever negotiated.  But that's exactly what a hostage negotiator would do, they wouldn't be afraid to lie or paint any picture in order to free hostages.  Just blows my mind that these guys on the right are so filled with hate for the Clintons that they would state without a doubt that something was bartered for their release... 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 06:36:57 AM »
He could have just bullshitted them like politicians do.  and Clinton is one of the best.  Maybe telling them that the American People see absolutely no chance at reasonable bargaining with NK.  But if they freed these girls, it could open up some trust for the people here and thereby benefiting them greatly in any possible future negotiations.  He could have painted it in a way as to make them think they were worth a lot free.  That doesn't make it true, nobody here trusts NK and we're not about to start after them going back on everything ever negotiated.  But that's exactly what a hostage negotiator would do, they wouldn't be afraid to lie or paint any picture in order to free hostages.  Just blows my mind that these guys on the right are so filled with hate for the Clintons that they would state without a doubt that something was bartered for their release... 

This has been in the works for weeks and you seriously dont believe that a deal wasnt alreasdy in the works do you?   Come on.  Do you really think Clinton would have went over there not already knowing he was coming back with these girls. 

And do you seriously believe that this was no coordinated with the WH? 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 07:09:18 AM »
This has been in the works for weeks and you seriously dont believe that a deal wasnt alreasdy in the works do you?   Come on.  Do you really think Clinton would have went over there not already knowing he was coming back with these girls. 

And do you seriously believe that this was no coordinated with the WH? 
So you are a conspiracy theorist now.  Love how the ranks of CTr's grows and grows exponentially when a dem is the subject and or when a dem is in office but play the highground skeptic when dems are out of power... Well go on, don't leave it half assed.  Fill in the blanks, you've taken the step of just magically knowing the hidden truth here.  Lay out the conspiracy.  They are over on the hannity forums, you would fit in great there.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 07:15:10 AM »
So you are a conspiracy theorist now.  Love how the ranks of CTr's grows and grows exponentially when a dem is the subject and or when a dem is in office but play the highground skeptic when dems are out of power... Well go on, don't leave it half assed.  Fill in the blanks, you've taken the step of just magically knowing the hidden truth here.  Lay out the conspiracy.  They are over on the hannity forums, you would fit in great there.

Hugo - I just read that the WH and clinton coordinated this thing for weeks. 

This was no fly by night operation.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 07:21:41 AM »
Hugo - I just read that the WH and clinton coordinated this thing for weeks. 

This was no fly by night operation.
no no no, you're saying something was bardered for the release of the girls.  You know this not because you read it anywhere, just because you assume the worst because it's Gore, Clinton and Obama involved.  I know this has been going on for weeks, no shit.  Gore was talking to them too.  So you have a CT going on.  When I put out my CTs, I get shit.  You have some free pass or what?  So let's hear it.  What did we give up since you KNOW that to be the case.  What's your theory.  Who is covering it up?  Lay it all out, don't half ass it man.  Especially since you're SO SURE...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 07:23:06 AM »
no no no, you're saying something was bardered for the release of the girls.  You know this not because you read it anywhere, just because you assume the worst because it's Gore, Clinton and Obama involved.  I know this has been going on for weeks, no shit.  Gore was talking to them too.  So you have a CT going on.  When I put out my CTs, I get shit.  You have some free pass or what?  So let's hear it.  What did we give up since you KNOW that to be the case.  What's your theory.  Who is covering it up?  Lay it all out, don't half ass it man.  Especially since you're SO SURE...

I read that it was to open up possible two way talks. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 07:28:10 AM »
333386 has let emotion get in the way now and then lately.

that 'secret service agent fired' headline using a liveleak source was an example of this.

33, i've been guilty of this myself.  You jump to conclusions because you want something to be true.  you wanted obama to be exposed as a racist for firing this dude, so you ran with an ubsubstantiated rumor.  it happens.  You just gotta realize youre doing it, step back, and either find a real story to back it, or just shrug it off.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2009, 07:30:49 AM »
333386 has let emotion get in the way now and then lately.

that 'secret service agent fired' headline using a liveleak source was an example of this.

33, i've been guilty of this myself.  You jump to conclusions because you want something to be true.  you wanted obama to be exposed as a racist for firing this dude, so you ran with an ubsubstantiated rumor.  it happens.  You just gotta realize youre doing it, step back, and either find a real story to back it, or just shrug it off.

On this issue what did I say wrong?

1.  I said this was in the works for a long time, which it was.

2.  NK definately is getting something - which is mostly liklely the possibility of two way talks.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 07:33:30 AM »
I read that it was to open up possible two way talks. 
::) Oh the horror........  "promise of possible talks" doesn't mean jack fucking shit and it's not a giveaway of anything.  Now a public promise of talks could be argued on your part, but that's obviously not part of the equation.  Come on, you had something else in mind.  You're talking like something serious was bartered.  And what's your source for the promise of talks?  Personally, I think a silent promise of possible talks is worth freeing those women.  Sad that you don't.  And another thing you're all forgetting.  If NK got something out of this, anything at all, what would be happening immediately?  NK would be parading the info like some kind of special victory.  That's a fact, they're all over doing shit like that.  So as it stands now, you have nothing and you're just making crap up.  You want to shoot out a CT, but don't want to take the same shit for doing it.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2009, 01:03:54 AM »
I love how the democrat haters can't say a damn thing good about people when good shit gets done.

Weren't people upset because they swore that these Democrats wouldn't get anything done and those poor reporters would be fucked?

Yet here they are... Free and clear.

Fucking democrats. ::)

So since taking office, Obamas staff or an extension of it have.

1. Shown force by smacking down some Somali Pirates.
2. Had 2 Journalists freed in North Korea
3. Diverted troops to where the real war should be fought, Afghanistan.

Yeah, he sure seems like a pussy who doesn't get anything done.

Morons.

Don't forget, they also:
  • Had another reporter, a self-confessed spy convicted of espionage & sentenced to 12 yrs, freed from Iran.
  • Attacked the financial meltdown, and got the economy moving in the right direction again.

And pretty soon, they'll be able to add healthcare reform as another feather in their cap.  :)
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 01:06:53 AM »

Silly man...  that's because...

Being a right wing lunatic = Not at all an independent thinker.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2009, 01:08:56 AM »

{blush} This is most likely very true.  :-[
w

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2009, 08:25:35 AM »
Jaguar and HH6, can't you two see that you love each other?

Now, quit tearing these boards apart with your fighting and just kiss already.

We have to get back to discussing bodybuilding.
G