Author Topic: Shawn ray & his aesthetics excuse for being 210 lbs  (Read 11803 times)

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
Re: Shawn ray & his aesthetics excuse for being 210 lbs
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 08:46:47 AM »
NO... not a David Henry in condition... no way. Too much freaky muscle at 202...

Not that it'll ever happen, but I'd like to see the 202 O prize money reach $100,000+, and have Shawn make a comeback (since he said he wouldn't comeback for anything less $-wise).

How about will Lee Priest be able to hang with David Henry (assuming he comes back)?

nope. shawn has problems with condition when he goes up.  he did one O at 215+ and said he couldnt get his conditioning together. at 202...shawn is fuller than henry.  they weight in the day before correct.  that means shawn weight in at 202 and contest day he pops back up to 207 or so which is around his regular contest weight.  shawn manhandled smaller guys than him his entire career...just the big boys got him.

i wouldnt even call henry the most dominate 202 guy right.  he dont lost a lot of shows to lesser guys.

how soon we forget when the good ones are gone?

shawn is probably sub-210 on this photo.  he still sicker than henry at 205 or so.  remember they go up for contest day.
Oh...Monica!

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 08:57:22 AM »
shawn ouzes class out of every pore, not even close between the too.......... this man dominated nasser on many occasions...

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 09:11:07 AM »
David Henry better than Shawn Ray? hahahahahahahaha...  ::)

Shawn Ray is one of the best of all-time... the guy has beaten Kevin, Nasser, Flex, Coleman etc etc etc... the only guy he didn't beat was Dorian. Another thing is consistency... Ray was extremely consistent... David had a bunch of shows that he placed horribly low at for probably 9 months because he kept coming in soft... Ray had an old-school work ethic, Henry is "doggcrapp".

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 09:14:38 AM »

Shawn Ray is one of the best of all-time... the guy has beaten Kevin, Nasser, Flex, Coleman etc etc etc... the only guy he didn't beat robbed him of his O was Dorian. Another thing is consistency... Ray was extremely consistent... David had a bunch of shows that he placed horribly low at for probably 9 months because he kept coming in soft... Ray had an old-school work ethic, Henry is "doggcrapp".

Oh...Monica!

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 09:16:10 AM »
Bodybuildings biggest sulk, the man who believes he is an uncrowned mr olympia
Standing 5'7 and weighing a meagre 210 lbs with all the drugs flowing through his veins, he didn't even have a normal job, yet could only muster being 200 - 210 on stage with 18 inch arms.

::)

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2009, 12:21:31 PM »
Don't ever compare that angry little midget to the great Shawn Ray.  Not even close.  Henry can't even crack the top 6 for the Mr. O and Shawn has done it every year of his career minus the first time.

Not a valid comparision.

agreed

Shawn is absoulete leagues above David Henry

A more accurate comparison should be would Shawn beat Dexter Jackson?

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2009, 02:12:25 PM »
Bodybuildings biggest sulk, the man who believes he is an uncrowned mr olympia
Standing 5'7 and weighing a meagre 210 lbs with all the drugs flowing through his veins, he didn't even have a normal job, yet could only muster being 200 - 210 on stage with 18 inch arms.

Good post !

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »
Shawna and Dextrose?

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 02:42:02 PM »
not a fan of Rays physique then ND?
Good post !

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »

Shawn Ray is one of the best of all-time... the guy has beaten Kevin, Nasser, Flex, Coleman etc etc etc... the only guy he didn't beat was Dorian. Another thing is consistency... Ray was extremely consistent... David had a bunch of shows that he placed horribly low at for probably 9 months because he kept coming in soft... Ray had an old-school work ethic, Henry is "doggcrapp".

Old School vs Doggcrap is a stupid debate. Not everyone has the insecurity to think they need 20 sets a BP because they can break it down in very few.

PTB

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 03:09:12 PM »
I think Shawn is the best under 210 lbs ever.

Top 8 in order:
Shawn
Henry
Labrada
Priest
Nubret
Zane
Padilla
Franco

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2009, 03:29:50 PM »
I think Shawn is the best under 210 lbs ever.

Top 8 in order:
Shawn
Henry
Labrada
Priest
Nubret
Zane
Padilla
Franco

Were is Benizizza (sp?)  Def on that list. 

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2009, 04:07:02 PM »
Shawn was one of the best bodybuilders that ever lived.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »
It's often been said that Dorian's greatness didn't always get exuded in photos, that you had to see him in person to appreciate how impressive and dense his physique truly was.  I believe Shawn is the opposite. Shawn usually looked great in photos, but even on video doesn't look nearly as impressive.  Truth be told, he never had a prayer of beating the likes of Haney or Yates.  They were in a different league all together.

Shawn had a great career to be sure, and was very consistent, but for a bodybuilder whose goal was allegedly to become Mr. Olympia, he didn't make near significant enough improvements to make such an accomplishment realistic.  Genetically, Shawn was outclassed badly by the Wheeler's and Levrone's (and others), and he knew it.  Why else would Shawn have resorted to the little games to try throw Flex off of his?  The calf implant accusations, etc.  For all of Shawn's spouting off, he's insecure and felt he needed to find an edge, even if it meant playing "dirty pool".  Not to mention Shawn's constant public carping in the magazines.  It was so transparent the way he would always drop comments inferring that his physique should be viewed as the ideal, while at the same time ridiculing the physique's of those that defeated him.  How he figured this would win favor with the judging panel, I'll never know.  

While I've never met the man, he strikes me as a self serving little two faced backstabber.  I suppose those that know him best would have to verify if my impression is truly accurate, or not.  

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2009, 04:22:13 PM »
It's often been said that Dorian's greatness didn't always get exuded in photos

no, this isnt often said.

but its often used as a great excuse from people like you lol :-*
Flower Boy Ran Away

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2009, 04:23:50 PM »

but its used as a great excuse from people like you lol

Owning yourself yet again, Huckster.  Like I said before, the minute Dorian's name gets mentioned you reach for your zipper and start trolling. "Fap, fap, fap." 

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »
 s ray and lee l should have won an o each

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 04:42:27 PM »

;)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »

but its often used as a great excuse from people like you lol :-*

Peter McGough

On the subject of conditioning, no-one did it better than Dorian. He achieved a hardness and dryness (without losing fullness) that nobody has ever matched. In the flesh he looked even harder than he did in photos. It was like a statue made of granite was standing in front of you.

Dorian Yates interview bodybuilding.com 2008
Everyone who sees my physique in person always comments on how much better I look in person than in pictures. That's because my physique is thick and developed from all angles. From the front, from the back, from the side, standing on my head: it doesn't matter. Everywhere is fully developed from every angle. And this might not show in one-dimensional photos. When you turn somebody to the side and they are twice as thick as everyone else, then that shows up.

Flex magazine Jan 1992 on Dorian Yates

" Dorian has the type of physique that looks much better and more powerfull in person than photos. I personally saw him onstage , and Yates if definitely light years ahead of the way he looks in photos.

MuscleMag International Feb 1994 on Dorian Yates at the 1993 Mr Olympia

" He's huge , absolutely HUGE ...he's ripped completely RIPPED. And while he's not in possession of the prettiest physique body by a long shot , he's equipped with all the bodyparts you need to win .

Combine this with the fact that he's 10 TIMES more impressive when you see him onstage at the Olympia than he is in pictures or on videos and you got yourself a winner.

John Hotten book " Muscle "

" Chris Cormier standing next to Dorian onstage he sensed ' radiation coming off him , like an aura. ' The power of that muscle was tangible. It exerted a force all of its own.  Cormier thought ' I might as well forget about this guy and concentrate on being second. ' There was something else , too , strange. You had to witness him in the flesh. such granite hradness had a property that could nor be held on film or caught on paper. You had to see it live.

Peter McGough Flex Magazine May 2002

Let it be said that the camera can lie at physique contests. Some guys look great onstage but not so great on final film (Dorian Yates, for one) and vice versa (Shawn Ray is an example). Despite that caveat, and despite the fact that these peepers

Bob Chick GetBig Jan 15 , 2007

The judges made their decision based on what they saw live and in person. Pictures mean nothing as they can be deceiving...

owned , I will kick your ass in ANY thread you follow me into kid  ;)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 04:48:03 PM »
Owning yourself yet again, Huckster.  Like I said before, the minute Dorian's name gets mentioned you reach for your zipper and start trolling. "Fap, fap, fap." 

He's a punching bag lol

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »
It's often been said that Dorian's greatness didn't always get exuded in photos, that you had to see him in person to appreciate how impressive and dense his physique truly was.  I believe Shawn is the opposite. Shawn usually looked great in photos, but even on video doesn't look nearly as impressive.  Truth be told, he never had a prayer of beating the likes of Haney or Yates.  They were in a different league all together.

Shawn had a great career to be sure, and was very consistent, but for a bodybuilder whose goal was allegedly to become Mr. Olympia, he didn't make near significant enough improvements to make such an accomplishment realistic.  Genetically, Shawn was outclassed badly by the Wheeler's and Levrone's (and others), and he knew it.  Why else would Shawn have resorted to the little games to try throw Flex off of his?  The calf implant accusations, etc.  For all of Shawn's spouting off, he's insecure and felt he needed to find an edge, even if it meant playing "dirty pool".  Not to mention Shawn's constant public carping in the magazines.  It was so transparent the way he would always drop comments inferring that his physique should be viewed as the ideal, while at the same time ridiculing the physique's of those that defeated him.  How he figured this would win favor with the judging panel, I'll never know.  

While I've never met the man, he strikes me as a self serving little two faced backstabber.  I suppose those that know him best would have to verify if my impression is truly accurate, or not.  

Totally agree, he would always argue about rotating the judges to benefit the sport but it was only for his own benefit, that maybe different judges would put him in first. I thought the opposite could happen being he was smaller, he could have ended up in 10th.

After the 1998 Mr.O he said on Ronnie winning that they were only rewarding the most improved bodybuilder, not the best. LOL

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2009, 04:52:35 PM »
Peter McGough

On the subject of conditioning, no-one did it better than Dorian. He achieved a hardness and dryness (without losing fullness) that nobody has ever matched. In the flesh he looked even harder than he did in photos. It was like a statue made of granite was standing in front of you.

Dorian Yates interview bodybuilding.com 2008
Everyone who sees my physique in person always comments on how much better I look in person than in pictures. That's because my physique is thick and developed from all angles. From the front, from the back, from the side, standing on my head: it doesn't matter. Everywhere is fully developed from every angle. And this might not show in one-dimensional photos. When you turn somebody to the side and they are twice as thick as everyone else, then that shows up.

Flex magazine Jan 1992 on Dorian Yates

" Dorian has the type of physique that looks much better and more powerfull in person than photos. I personally saw him onstage , and Yates if definitely light years ahead of the way he looks in photos.

MuscleMag International Feb 1994 on Dorian Yates at the 1993 Mr Olympia

" He's huge , absolutely HUGE ...he's ripped completely RIPPED. And while he's not in possession of the prettiest physique body by a long shot , he's equipped with all the bodyparts you need to win .

Combine this with the fact that he's 10 TIMES more impressive when you see him onstage at the Olympia than he is in pictures or on videos and you got yourself a winner.

John Hotten book " Muscle "

" Chris Cormier standing next to Dorian onstage he sensed ' radiation coming off him , like an aura. ' The power of that muscle was tangible. It exerted a force all of its own.  Cormier thought ' I might as well forget about this guy and concentrate on being second. ' There was something else , too , strange. You had to witness him in the flesh. such granite hradness had a property that could nor be held on film or caught on paper. You had to see it live.

Peter McGough Flex Magazine May 2002

Let it be said that the camera can lie at physique contests. Some guys look great onstage but not so great on final film (Dorian Yates, for one) and vice versa (Shawn Ray is an example). Despite that caveat, and despite the fact that these peepers

Bob Chick GetBig Jan 15 , 2007

The judges made their decision based on what they saw live and in person. Pictures mean nothing as they can be deceiving...

owned , I will kick your ass in ANY thread you follow me into kid  ;)

That right there, is an owning!

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2009, 04:53:30 PM »
Totally agree, he would always argue about rotating the judges to benefit the sport but it was only for his own benefit, that maybe different judges would put him in first. I thought the opposite could happen being he was smaller, he could have ended up in 10th.

After the 1998 Mr.O he said on Ronnie winning that they were only rewarding the most improved bodybuilder, not the best. LOL

Spot on.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »
That right there, is an owning!

The kid is an idiot and now that I just handed him his ass he'll be even more determined to try and equal the score all the while digging himself into a bigger hole . I will continue to expose this kid for the insanely stupid biased troll he is

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2009, 05:31:02 PM »

Ronnie Coleman was the most improved bodybuilder , and they should have an award for that but it SHOULDN'T be the overall title. Ronnie Coleman won the Mr Olympia for making the most improvement.

Ronnie does NOT have the complete physique. He has a certain degree of shape and detail but , let's be honest , he has a lot of weaknesses : calves , hamstrings , midsection. He has flaws on his physique that you just can't find on my physique or Flex Wheeler's physique.

;D