Author Topic: first workout after back injury forced layoff  (Read 3997 times)

elstapler

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
first workout after back injury forced layoff
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:50:51 PM »
On saturday the 5th I dove off a spring board about 100 times and on sunday did abs and slept on the couch. Woke up monday the 7th and couldn't walk. I laid in bed for 6 days and then started stretching, hanging and jacuzzing. The muscles have loosened up but if I press real hard on a couple vertebrae I can still feel a slight pain. I needed a couple weeks off anyway, but I feel I'm ready to go ahead and lift tomorrow/today any thoughts on the first work out. my split was 5 on 2 off day 1 being chest and back. I pretty experienced and thought I would do a chest and back body weight workout. push ups, dips, pulls and chins.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: first workout after back injury forced layoff
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:37:02 AM »
If you're gonna start lifting again, don't do anything that puts pressure on the back. Avoid things like rows for example, squats and even standing BB curls. It's not that hard to find alternatives that can work the back without hitting the lower back.

In other words be conservative, let more time go by during which the back isn't involved or aggrevated. And continue to do more daily stretching, jacuzzi, etc.

If you're lucky and it's not serious you'll be able to work thru the remaining pain, if it's something more serious you'll notice that the pain never quite goes away in which case it would eventually be time to see a doc.

And of course backtrack to the likely cause of the injury and don't repeat the problem causing activity in future.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:01:23 AM »
Start slow & warm up properly & especially watch things that will compress the spine. Check your ego at the gym door. Nothing like a back injury to force you to take months off. Trust me - I've got a herniated L4 & L5.

elstapler

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 10:10:21 PM »
my brothers a plumber and one of his guys called in so i went a dug a ditch for him. i figured if i cant work i cant lift. i was fine this morning and went ahead a did chest stayed real light and got a good pump.