Author Topic: Bent over rows grip  (Read 3409 times)

vic86

• Getbig III
  • bring back the 80`s
Bent over rows grip
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:23:07 AM »
which grip is better?thumb over the bar or under the bar,especially one is doing it without straps.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Re: Bent over rows grip
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 12:43:50 AM »
How could one possibly say? You would need a base model and a tracking device.

One guy will grow like a bitch with his thumb over and the other will grow like a bitch with the thumb under.

There are many other things to consider when changing grips. With your thumb under, the biceps become a weak link and more susceptible to injury.

Wearing straps will alleviate grip issues and allow you to use maximal weights.

Apples and Oranges.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 06:33:55 AM »
Do you mean underhand or overhand grip?

If so, then I prefer overhand for barbell rows as personally I've never found a significant increase in back development from rows alone by doing them any other way.

However, I still incorporate an underhand grip rowing movement into my back routine - usually in the form of seated rows on the Hammer machine where the chest is supported and you can really bring the elbows back and squeeze when performing the movement, eliminating cheating.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 09:07:50 AM »
I believe Vic86 means a thumbless grip (false grip) vs a overhand grip (regular). And referring to a pulling motion. For an overhead pull (chin/lat machine/etc) some find the thumbless grip better because it seems to affect the lat's more themselves, rather than the influence of the biceps. Usually an extra wide to medium hand spacing with a false grip. Seems also to hit the rear delts better. Gironda featured this version quite a bit. Considered it a better way to have the mind focus more on the lat's, not just the pull.

Bentover rows (and even upright rows) have been used with a false grip. But with the angle of the pull, most guy's prefer the regular thumb over the bar style. To some it gives more confidence to the lift when using heavier weight. One of the better lat builders (according to many BB'ers I have talked to) is the medium to close grip underhand curl grip. using the regular thumbs over the bar grip.

Guess it's all  question of what works the best for you, thumb or thumbless.Might want to give a good trial run on both to see what suits the personal needs.  Might add that doing Dl's with a thumbless grip can go a far way to develop a much improved grip. As can chins, with extra weight strapped on.

Also thumbless push press bench's and overhead pressing can allow more weight to be used on the bar. Though having the bar rest on the heels of the hand may need extra caution. Good spotters should be near by. Not recommended for everyone. Good Luck.
F

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 04:01:38 PM »
i did underhand grip on a smith machine, really leaning over as far as possible... hit some areas of my lats i never hit before.. not a mass bulding thing though since i couldnt go very heavy

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:32:25 AM »
I like the thumbless grip

I always think "my hands are just hooks" when I do Rows

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 08:05:43 AM »
^^ That has given me the best results for my money, especially when - as JPM mentioned - you want the focus on the lats and not just the "pull."

I’ve found that a false grip AND straps both help remove as much bicipital assistance/involvement as possible, which I believe is essential to maximize results when training purely for aesthetics.

I use straps on almost all back work for that reason - even the “lighter” acclimation sets.

Marlo Stanfield

• Getbig IV
  • You want it to be one way,but it's the other way.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 04:40:29 AM »
which grip is better?thumb over the bar or under the bar,especially one is doing it without straps.
i personally use the "False grip" (thumbs under) for almost all of my excercises. i personally think it makes my muscles work more, and im pretty sure there should be a research or something out there, when you use a FULL GRIP, you use more of your forearms, so it takes away from the actual muscle ytour trying to hit

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 06:45:53 AM »
I do both 3 sets if overhand finishing with 315 and 3 sets if under hand finishing with 315
underhand hits the lower lats more while overhand works on thickness and the middle back
choice is an illusion

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 09:21:21 AM »
i prefer a thumbless overhand grip with straps, sometimes do underhand for variety, but don't like it as much.
tank u jesus