Author Topic: Hair loss from gear use  (Read 3520 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: Hair loss from gear use
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 09:22:28 AM »
Well, if all bald guys can nail the crazy broad next door like you can, then I'm happy to be in the club :)

Near as I can tell, no woman over 25 gives a shit if you have hair or not anyway.

A couple of years ago I looked into hairloss prevention/regrowth claims.  Imo dht inhibiting drugs are too risky (impotence), and the rest is snake oil (shampoos, laser treatments, etc).  Minoxidil might do something for you but it will have a systemic effect as I understand it, and will promote more vigorous growth in healthy folicles (including those in your nose, ears, on your back, etc) but will not repair damaged or dying follicles.  Imo, eat well, take a multi for men with saw palmetto like Swisse, and don't take any roids. 

Good to hear you're hitting the gym regularly, bro.  I need to get serious again too after my holiday.  Did legs for 45 mins tonight but my heart wasn't in it.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 09:27:14 AM »
Near as I can tell, no woman over 25 gives a shit if you have hair or not anyway.

A couple of years ago I looked into hairloss prevention/regrowth claims.  Imo dht inhibiting drugs are too risky (impotence), and the rest is snake oil (shampoos, laser treatments, etc).  Minoxidil might do something for you but it will have a systemic effect as I understand it, and will promote more vigorous growth in healthy folicles (including those in your nose, ears, on your back, etc) but will not repair damaged or dying follicles.  Imo, eat well, take a multi for men with saw palmetto like Swisse, and don't take any roids. 

Good to hear you're hitting the gym regularly, bro.  I need to get serious again too after my holiday.  Did legs for 45 mins tonight but my heart wasn't in it.

Yeah, the last thing I want to do is LOWER test levels in my 30s.  Waiting to see if the rogaine does anything more than peach fuzz.

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 09:36:58 AM »
great hair

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 09:40:49 AM »
Yeah, the last thing I want to do is LOWER test levels in my 30s.  Waiting to see if the rogaine does anything more than peach fuzz.

Your trichologist probably gave you the spiel about how it takes awhile for the effects to be seen because the rogaine will reset the growth cycle of the follicles, and that takes time blah blah.  If your peach fuzz is blonde or finer than the rest of the hair, it might be from follicles which are on their last legs from dht strangulation though and which are destined to die with or without the rogaine.  At least, that's what the people pushing finasteride out here told me.  If you're using saw palmetto, you might save other follicles from kicking the bucket tho.  Who knows.

I don't think finasteride, duta, saw pal, etc, will lower test levels.  They get rid of the so called '5 alpha reductase enzyme' (and saw pal claims to take care of the second - 5 beta - according to some studies) so that testosterone is less prone to convert to dihydrotestosterone.  What exactly is the relationship between DHT and male sexual function is something of a grey area, but there are complaints out there of impotence in relation to finasteride and dutasteride use, even after stopping the drugs.  I decided no way am I risking my erection for something that only might slow down hairloss.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »
great hair

take a good look at the forehead hairline
you can see straight bands of brown coloring added to the photo
all transplants, too

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »
 ;)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 02:52:08 PM »
Wrong. Proscar is used to shrink the prostate by lowering DHT. Recent studies show Proscar also reduced PSA levels in men. Since PSA levels INCREASE with prostate cancer, Proscar's use can prevent early detection.

i think what kills people more and is apart/coincidentally of the cancer is the gross amount of growth that takes place in the prostate
A

Mons Venus

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 02:56:24 PM »

Rogaine is primarily for the crown. Zero effect on receding hairline.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
i feel sorry for the people who eat meat constantly while there own hair is falling out
A

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2009, 03:15:19 PM »
I looked into fina, proscar.  But it triples your chances of prostate cancer and lowers your friskiness.  I decided against it. 

I'm using rogaine.  It's given me a nice peach fuzz look after a month now.  So I'm hopeful.

triples chance of prostate cancer?  where did you read that?  my dermatologist never told me about that.  my sex drive is just fine

Mons Venus

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 04:11:20 PM »
triples chance of prostate cancer?  where did you read that?  my dermatologist never told me about that.  my sex drive is just fine

PROSCAR
The most widely used of these is finasteride, sold under the brand name of Proscar. It has been shown to be moderately successful in reducing prostate size in some men and in addressing some of the urinary symptoms associated with BPH. However, it can take as long as six months before it shows results, and the drug has negative side-effects including a direct link to a substantial increase in prostate cancer risk. In fact, men who take this drug have their prostate cancer risk increased 300% according to a 1999 clinical study conducted by the prestigious Norris Cancer Institute of the University of Southern California (USC). USC Study Links Proscar to Prostate Cancer Among other side effects, it has the potential to decrease libido, cause premature ejaculation and impotence

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 06:03:41 PM »
I´ve been using Propecia for a few years now.  It definitely halted (or greatly slowed down) the receding of my hairline.  Sure, i´m not as horny as I was as a teenager or when I was in my early 20s, but I still jack off every day and have sex with my wife (almost) every day haha.

io856

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »
I would trade hair for muscle

am I fuccked in the head or what!  ;D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 06:18:32 PM »
I would trade hair for muscle

am I fuccked in the head or what!  ;D
No thats a good trade...you can grow muscles if u want you cant grow hair

Big_Tymer

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Huge Aryan Bastards With Muscle
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2009, 09:51:59 PM »

PROSCAR
The most widely used of these is finasteride, sold under the brand name of Proscar. It has been shown to be moderately successful in reducing prostate size in some men and in addressing some of the urinary symptoms associated with BPH. However, it can take as long as six months before it shows results, and the drug has negative side-effects including a direct link to a substantial increase in prostate cancer risk. In fact, men who take this drug have their prostate cancer risk increased 300% according to a 1999 clinical study conducted by the prestigious Norris Cancer Institute of the University of Southern California (USC). USC Study Links Proscar to Prostate Cancer Among other side effects, it has the potential to decrease libido, cause premature ejaculation and impotence

pretty scary.  i been on the stuff for years

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2009, 11:17:56 PM »
pretty scary.  i been on the stuff for years

i was about to make a doc appt.  that scared me outta doing it.  someone posted that 300% stat on getbig a few weeks back. 

Prostate issues hit 1 in 3 men already. 

io856

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2009, 12:00:18 AM »
i was about to make a doc appt.  that scared me outta doing it.  someone posted that 300% stat on getbig a few weeks back. 

Prostate issues hit 1 in 3 men already. 

jesus,,, we're all fuccked here  ;D

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2009, 01:45:46 AM »
You can't just believe one person's "word" about propecia or any other drug. Look at this:

The 2005 Prostate Cancer Prevention Trial (PCPT) showed at a dosage of 5 mg per day, as is commonly prescribed for BPH, though much higher than the 1 mg generally prescribed for hair loss, participants taking finasteride were 25% less likely to have developed prostate cancer at the end of the trial compared to those taking a placebo.[1] It appeared (incorrectly) that finasteride increased the specificity and selectivity of prostate cancer detection, thus, a seemly increased rate of high Gleason grade tumor. A 2008 update of this study found that finasteride reduces the incidence of prostate cancer by 30%. In the original study it turns out that the smaller prostate caused by finasteride means that a doctor is more likely to hit upon cancer nests and more likely to find aggressive-looking cells. Most of the men in the study who had cancer — aggressive or not — chose to be treated and many had their prostates removed. A pathologist then carefully examined each of those 500 prostates and compared the kinds of cancers found at surgery to those initially diagnosed at biopsy. Finasteride did not increase the risk of high-grade prostate cancer.[2][3]

In order to make a proper evaluation of the risks involved you must look at several studies, look at the details of what the "300%" study found, and then make a proper evaluation.

The effects of the drug:

In a 5-year study of men with mild to moderate hair loss, 48% of those treated with Propecia (finasteride 1 mg) experienced some regrowth of hair, and a further 42% had no further loss. Average hair count in the treatment group remained above baseline, and showed an increasing difference from hair count in the placebo group, for all five years of the study.[4] Propecia is effective only for as long as it is taken; the hair gained or maintained is lost within 6–12 months of ceasing therapy.[5] In clinical studies, Propecia, like minoxidil, was shown to work on both the crown area and the hairline,[6] but is most successful in the crown area.

It seems that it at least halts hair loss in 90% of users not suffering from brutal brutal hair loss.

It seems like there have been rapports about erectile dysfunction and other side effects. The studies show that 1-2% of uers get some side effect and forthe brutal majority of these, the sides go away.

For the very small amount of people that get persistent problems after quitting the drug, it can be looked upon as an inherit risks found with any drug. Practically any drug has the potential to give one person or another brutal side effects like anaphalytic shock. If anything, the amount of users getting these effects seems to be incredibly small.
An example: Many people are popping the drug Modafinil to stay awake and reduce fatigue, yet most of them are not aware that a small number of users have gotten severe cutaneous adverse reactions from the drug.

From the majority of the data that can be found, it does not seem like these horror stories about the drug is something that should be used as the main guidance when choosing to use the drug or not. One must look at the totality of all research, and find out what the was done during the 1999 study and what the follow up reactions were, including eventual follow up studies.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2009, 03:14:59 AM »
what i don't get is the bald guys who leave that "horseshoe" pattern on their heads- why do they leave that their?  

why don't they attempt to look hip and shave it all off
I guess they think it makes them look smart.
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2009, 03:17:46 AM »
I guess they think it makes them look smart.

Add a brown corduroy jacket with the elbow patches for that tenured look. 

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2009, 07:24:04 AM »
you cannot reverse hairloss. you can slow the process.....or get plugs

Rinc

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2009, 08:59:58 AM »
Did a delt shot today and ran my fingers through my hair afterwards, yeah.
Mr. O 09' Jay Cutler

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 09:45:24 AM »
Did a delt shot today and ran my fingers through my hair afterwards, yeah.
pubs don't count gimmick.
A

Rinc

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2009, 01:51:23 PM »
pubs don't count gimmick.
haha, o.k. baldy, sucks to be you.
Mr. O 09' Jay Cutler

powermaxx9

• Getbig II
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »
For the first time in my life, I have been serious about diet and training for 2 straight months.  Lifting 5 days a week, drinking 3 whey shakes a day plus meals.  Looking like a grown man for the first time.

And sure enough, at age 33, big old bald spot appears.  Buzzed last night.

DHT goes up, and the baldness bullet in the chamber goes off.  Sucks.  But what can you do?

you = not that bright.

they're completely unrelated.

hope this 'heps'