Author Topic: Why did Arnold compete in the 1980 Olympia?  (Read 34138 times)

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
Re: Why did Arnold compete in the 1980 Olympia?
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2006, 03:02:12 PM »
Vince,

Hope you get a kick out of this, I posted the following on the "Arnold owning the competition at the 1980 O" thread.

I can't vouch for validity of this rumour, but it is what I was told by someone heavily involved in the Iron scene in the late 70's/early 80's....

Enjoy:
Politics might play a bigger part in this than we realise...

Aside from the obvious economic reasons and downplaying the conspiracy theories, Joe and Ben Weider (and the IFBB officials) might well have had reservations about giving Mike Mentzer the win because of something else, something potentially more damaging/embarrassing to bodybuilding as a whole.

They were happy to give Mike second place the year before ('79) against an immaculate Frank Zane, in '80 he was much improved: better conditioning; better posing; better presence and more mass. Whereas Zane was slightly off his '79 condition (he was slightly sunburned, blurred and a little reddened) so why didn't Mike at least beat Zane (3rd) in the 1980 Olympia?

So many questions???

Why did Arnold even enter?
Why on such short notice?
Why did TV execs refuse to air the finished footage shot by the camera crew (that were following Arnold around everywhere) on the grounds that "an obviously fixed show doesn't count as SPORT"?

I've heard it whispered by a former high level IFBB judge that leading up to the Olympia the Weiders discovered that Mike Mentzer was addicted to amphetamines. They weren't willing to risk giving the Olympia crown and thereby the ambassadorship of the sport to a man who might well spiral out of control at any time (which subsequently happened).

They did what they did in an attempt to protect the newly burgeoning popularity of bodybuilding from a major scandal. And no doubt they wished to re-exert their control/ownership of bodybuilding and the bodybuilding market.

Apparently, they were under the impression that Mike "would get the message and clean himself up" (apparently Joe's exact words). It seems Ben and Joe really felt that Mike had much more potential to go mainstream (movies, TV etc) than even Arnold (better looking, more articulate and more intelligent) and were confident that he could be groomed for greatness as a Weider Athlete. They could easily afford to offer him several times the income he was making from his mail order courses (advertised in Weider magazines) and thought he would be a better long term investment than Arnold's arrogant bully routine.

They knew Arnold was training hard (juicing) for Conan and had apparently already decided that should Arnold enter the O (always a possibility with a publicity hungry Arnold) that a tie-breaker decision in favour of Arnold over Mentzer would set them up for the mother of all Olympias in '81, which would go to Mike (presumably in another sensational tie breaker), with Arnold conceding defeat in a gentlemanly manner and endorsing Mike as his successor. (in exchange for a controling percentage of the IFBB pro contest promotion business)

About eight weeks out they found out about Mike's addiction... (which apparently wasn't much of an issue for an unhindered Mentzer) and voila! Arnold is in to do the O albeit as a dark horse last minute entry, the camera crew follow him and Platz as they prepare for the show (footage which later became Arnold's Comeback video when the TV stations refused it).

Arnold goes on to endorse Platz as his successor, the bodybuilding ideal: mens sana in corpore sano, Mike Mentzer is lost to the mists of obscurity.

Just another viewpoint to ponder, enjoy guys...

The Luke   

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2006, 03:19:45 PM »
For publicity and because Arnold was being made out to be the "girly man" that he truly is by Mike Mentzer.   Mike Mentzer may have been "put in his place" by the judges but anyone who looks at any video or pics of the 1980 Olympia knows who the REAL winner was.

Mike Mentzer RIP.  We love ya buddy.

Having muscles in your chest is required to wint the mr.O.

Wooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

comebackkid

• Getbig II
  • Purple Posing Trunks are So Tough!
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2006, 03:28:44 PM »
AFTER 4 PAGES(!)....All talk and no proof from anyone. Here is the 1980 line up. Mentzer wins hands down. All the Arnold types...stop thinking with your heart and make the comparison rationally. Its Menzer without question.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2006, 05:11:37 PM »
AFTER 4 PAGES(!)....All talk and no proof from anyone. Here is the 1980 line up. Mentzer wins hands down. All the Arnold types...stop thinking with your heart and make the comparison rationally. Its Menzer without question.

Good picture....

without chest, how could mike even place in the top 6 ??

Woooooshhhhhhhhhhhh

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »
bump for old shht
X

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2008, 11:46:08 AM »
MIKE AND ARNIE 1980..... ???

ARNIE1947

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2008, 12:26:11 PM »
ARNIE WAS CRITICISED FOR BEING SMALLER AND THUS NOT WORTHY OF MR O
1980 , BUT THE LOGICAL FACT IS ARNIE WAS NOT AS BIG AS WHEN HE DEFEATED THE
HULK AND OTHERS IN 73-75, HE NEEDED THAT SIZE TO DEFEAT BIG GUYS,SO IN
1980 MENTZER WAS SMALLER AND HAD BEEN DEFEATED BY ZANE IN 79 ...,BUT
ARNIE HAS DEFEATED ZANE TOO , THUS ARNIE'S 1980 SIZE,BODY HEIGHT,BODY
FRAME AND ABOVE ALL THE SHAPE OF ARNIE'S MUSCLES ,WHICH ARNIE NEVER
LOST WAS IN FACT MORE THAN ENOUGH TO DEFEAT MENTZER IN 1980 ... !

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2008, 05:47:11 PM »
Not this thread again  ::)
Arnold won this easily, it's not even debatable.

kawaks

• Getbig III
  • My Two Cents
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »
1.  HIT is not and was not full of shit- Mentzer body proves it.
2.  Mentzer was not gay.
3.  Mentzer looked better than Arnold in 1980.

Mentzers chest was flat, see the pics as proof. Arnold had slabs of beef everywhere.

And another fact is Arnie and Yates never got on coz of the Yates/Mentzer link.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2008, 10:09:36 PM »
Great comparisons, ARNIE.

Arnold smokes Mentzer from every angle, yet it was much closer between Arnold and Chris Dickerson.

England_1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »
This is nearing perfection sans the forearms

Team Yates

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2009, 03:04:05 AM »
When Arnold appeared on stage at the judging and in the evening he always was cheered loudly. As I recall it 3 people got loud cheers that night. Arnold, local hero Roger Walker, and perhaps loudest of all for local champion Bev Francis. I was sitting in the middle of the audience and even got a seat next to me for John Balik so he could get the best position for photos. He eagerly traded positions with a fellow from my gym who took his place near the stage.

Anyway, Arnold was initally booed when it was announced that he won. But lots of people cheered, too. I mean, the Aussie audiences are not that rude. Many would have felt Arnold deserved to win. I personally was surprised to hear that so many bodybuilders were supporting Chris Dickerson. Truth be told it was a very close contest. Arnold's reputation and size helped him win. Plus his relationships with all the judges. Arnold was Bendan Ryan's hero. Arnold knew Mits Kowashima well in Hawaii, and so on. Arnold did seminars and guest posing for most of the judges. In those days the IFBB selected judges from the loyal Weider agents around the world. Not what I would call fair. Matter of fact the IFBB has been a closed organization since Ben Weider appointed himself life president. The bodybuilders all kissed butt of whoever was in charge because they all wanted to win the titles. Those who did not bow down to the IFBB were usually banned and when they returned they got placed 8th. I have never understood how Bev Fancis and Sergio could be placed 8th in the lineups they were in.

About Franco's seminar. Well, I was about as impressed as how they award "Doctor" titles to chiropractors. That seminar was lacking in any valuable information. You can always tell which bodybuilders have some education. Those lacking resort to answering questions and call that a seminar. People who did that at my gym and in Sydney were Sergio, Franco, Paul Dillette. The best two seminars were given by Ray Mentzer and Larry Scott.

There was a photo taken outside my gym with Franco, Arnold, and Bev in it.

Many might not know that about 6 of the top competitors in that Olympia "boycotted" the following Olympia and Franco won in a condition that has to be the poorest of any champion. Let us face it so many great bodybuilders were "cheated" by the Olympia that it has become a rather controversial event instead of a celebration of the best in the world.

Did Arnold deserve to win in 1980. Yes, in my considered opinion, especially judging from the 400 or so images that I took and inspected. 2nd place could have gone to any of the top men. Even Danny Padilla, who never was compared, looked the best all-round in the photos. Dennis Tinerino looked in superb condition. Boyer Coe had the most impressive posing display. Chris Dickerson presented a beautiful body. Frank Zane looked a bit small compared to some of the others. Roger Walker was as big as anyone there. Others were overlooked but had supporters in the audience. Casey Viator, Samir Bannout and Roy Callender come to mind.

When it was all said and done Arnold was a legend in bodybuilding and that day he had just enough of his size and shape to be a bit better than the rest. Especially his arms and chest. I mean, as much as Chris was a sight to see he was dwarfed beside Arnold. Ditto for Frank Zane. Mike seemed to be carrying a slightly bloated midsection. However, that said I did take a superb photo of Mike that Ironman put on the cover and in that photo you could argue that he looked the best. However, unless you were at the prejudging and show you were not able to see and know everything that occurred. From where I sat I wasn't impressed with Mike. I know he was devastated after the contest but goodness me if you compete you have to know you can lose. Arnold often said that the losers always claim the contests were "fixed". I asked him at my home if that contest he lost to Zane was fixed since he lost? "Yes, it was!" he replied. So I guess he was getting even with Frank and Mike.Probably true-in Ed Of BB when he lost to Zane he cried that it was a trick, a dirty, typical American trick...But He;d show them...!"

I knew from Paul Graham that Arnold was competing. I even told some of the competitors who were waiting at Bondi Beach for a bus to take them to the opera house. No one believed me. Ah, how surprised everyone was. Arnold stayed at the Hilton in town. Others joined him there when the hotel at Bondi had cockroaches or something! There are some stories to tell about that contest. Someone even went to Frank's room after the contest. That person told me he thought he heard someone crying inside. Anyway, Christine told the visitor that Frank didn't want to see anyone. Several of the placegetters smashed their trophies back stage. That was the last year that place getters received trophies. For some incomprehensible reason no competitor has ever ripped up a cheque!   :)

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2013, 07:41:55 AM »
arnold regret today this contest . it took him 30 years ... to say