Author Topic: Started wrestling training...  (Read 8457 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Started wrestling training...
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »
I know what you’re saying.
That’s really more of a finesse thing.
A few guys naturally have it, some pick up on it rather easily, and the rest go by the name “Ultimate Warrior.”

One of the best examples can be learned watching a Chris Benoit match.
Watch how he sets up for an Irish Whip:

 He grabs his opponents left wrist with his own left hand.
 The right forearm is used to push his opponent into the ropes.
 He really pushes his opponent into the ropes to set up a recoil effect.
 He then squats down a bit maneuvering his hips into a lower position of leverage.
 By now, his right hand has slid down to meet his left so that he’s holding his opponent’s wrist with both hands.
 He leads the pull with his ass/hips just as you would playing tug of war.
 As the opponent starts his trip, Benoit’s right hand now releases its grip on the wrist and moves to the guy’s left scapula to apply projectile force from the posterior side of the body.
 It looks as if Benoit fired the guy across the ring and those steel core ropes are the only things that may stop him.

You could break it down even further than that, but you get the point. Using body english and nonverbal suggestion, you make that initial pull from the ropes literally look like you’re playing tug of war.
It looks less choreographed and more like you’re putting all you’ve got into sailing that guy across the ring for real.

When you can apply that type of subtlety to everything you do in the ring, you will achieve Zen and be making at least $40.00 USD per match.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2009, 04:31:16 AM »
I think you looked really good considering how limited your training time has been. 

Like Montague said, you looked full of energy and it helped get over with the crowd.  I think the timing will improve with experience.

Just something from a longtime fan standpoint....really sell your movements.  For example when you whip someone into the corner or rope, look like you are forcing them and follow thru by stepping a step or two towards them after you shoot them....it really makes it look more polished and you aren't waiting on the guy to hit the corner or ropes by just standing there.  Maybe Montague knows what I mean and can explain it in better wrestler jargon.

Honestly, you should really be proud for a first effort.  I've watched more seasoned guys who didn't look nearly as good as you did.

Yeah, I'm definitely gonna look at putting more emphasis into everything I do.  I'm gonna have a chat with some of the guys tonight at training about some things.

Thanks for the comments.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2009, 04:32:26 AM »
A few guys naturally have it, some pick up on it rather easily, and the rest go by the name “Ultimate Warrior.”

When you can apply that type of subtlety to everything you do in the ring, you will achieve Zen and be making at least $40.00 USD per match.

;D ;D ;D

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2009, 03:51:39 PM »
Back from training.  I worked on my drop kick a bit tonight, so I'm slightly happier with that than before.  I tried to put more effort into my Irish whips as well, but I'm not sure how that looked.  My clothesline still needs some work, again I wasn't following through with it.

We did a lot of impact moves in training tonight, so I feel a little more beat up than normal.  But we had a good 'triple threat' style match.  The two other guys in that were my tag opponents from the show, and they started the match with a bit of one-up-man ship, seeing who could do the best slam, best suplex, etc.  Luckily I got a minute break after that when they turned on each other!

The next show they have in the diary is in Scarborough, a seaside town about 2 hours drive away.  It's in a 2000 seater hall, so they're hoping for a big turnout.  I doubt very much I'll get a full match at that one, as they hire a lot of experienced guys in for shows of that size, but I'll get to make an appearance in a Rumble.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2009, 06:56:56 PM »
Training again tonight, I missed last week as I was ill.  I'm not too happy with tonights session, I didn't have a good week and missed a lot of stuff.  The drop kick I worked on last time had disappeared and I ended up hitting one of the other guys square in the nuts.

On the plus side, they asked us all if there was a move we wanted to learn.  I couldn't think of a good one, so I chose a move that I'd seen JTG do last week on Smackdown, I think he calls it 'The Mugshot'.  It looked pretty cool actually, so I think I'll keep that one in my repetoire.

It's the big show in 2 weeks, Sunday 15th, so I need to up my game over the next couple of training sessions, as a few things aren't quite working at the moment.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2009, 04:47:14 AM »
Training again tonight, I missed last week as I was ill.  I'm not too happy with tonights session, I didn't have a good week and missed a lot of stuff.  The drop kick I worked on last time had disappeared and I ended up hitting one of the other guys square in the nuts.

On the plus side, they asked us all if there was a move we wanted to learn.  I couldn't think of a good one, so I chose a move that I'd seen JTG do last week on Smackdown, I think he calls it 'The Mugshot'.  It looked pretty cool actually, so I think I'll keep that one in my repetoire.

It's the big show in 2 weeks, Sunday 15th, so I need to up my game over the next couple of training sessions, as a few things aren't quite working at the moment.

Sounds like a great finisher!   ;D  Glad you are back in the gym, I wouldn't worry too much about one bad week.  That happens in every sport.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2009, 11:12:29 AM »
Sounds like a great finisher!   ;D  Glad you are back in the gym, I wouldn't worry too much about one bad week.  That happens in every sport.

Yeah, the 'Ball Buster'!  I don't think I'd have many opponents with that one.  I'm getting back on the weights as well this week which should help my ring work.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
Well folks, I've just got back from the hospital with a nice new cast on my leg!  The JTG move that I did last week didn't seem to work too well this week, as it broke my foot.  It didn't feel too bad when it happened, I went on and finished the match, took down the ring, drove some of the other guys home and picked up a chinese.  But once I got home and took my shoes/socks off, it swelled up to the point where I couldn't put any weight on it at all.

So right now, I'm sat here, pretty pissed off.  I was supposed to be doing the show on Sunday, which would have been in a proper nice venue, maybe 300+ people.  Some friends were driving 400 miles to come and watch me.  Now I'm virtually crippled for weeks, can't wrestle, can't drive, can't work.  It's shit.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2009, 04:11:02 AM »
That's the shits, man.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2009, 05:52:27 AM »
That's the shits, man.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Cheers mate.  Works gonna be the real killer, I'm self-employed, so if I don't work, I don't get paid and the business suffers.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2009, 06:22:13 AM »
Tonight I had my first wrestling training session, and I am sore as hell.  I must admit, I was pretty nervous beforehand, but it went fine and I actually really enjoyed it.  They started by going through a few basic moves, and how to fall correctly, and then me and another newbie had 10 minutes to come up with a short match, which I lost.   :'(

Then there was an elimination match with everyone, two in the ring at a time.  This was to get us used to working off the top of your head, and with random people at the same time.

All in all, it was good fun.  Although I don't know if I'll be saying that tomorrow!

you have to wear a singlet?  going commando or jock?
w

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2009, 08:14:12 AM »
Oh leon, sorry to hear that broski.....that sucks ass......too bad you aren't doing TV spots, they could write it into an angle.... 8)

But seriously, wish you a speedy recovery. 

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2009, 02:51:37 PM »
you have to wear a singlet?  going commando or jock?

Good questions!   :-\   ;D

I'm a commando kind of guy though...   :P

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
Oh leon, sorry to hear that broski.....that sucks ass......too bad you aren't doing TV spots, they could write it into an angle.... 8)

But seriously, wish you a speedy recovery. 

Cheers fella.

I spoke to the boss today, he said if I wanted to come to the show anyway, I could help out with entrance music, lights, etc.  It's not what I wanted to be doing, but it's better than nothing.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2009, 07:28:51 PM »
Cheers fella.

I spoke to the boss today, he said if I wanted to come to the show anyway, I could help out with entrance music, lights, etc.  It's not what I wanted to be doing, but it's better than nothing.

I would think any kind of experience would be good.  Kinda give you a different view of whats going on.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2009, 03:01:24 AM »
If you're creative, this could be an opportunity to show it.
Suggest a few ideas that the promoter likes and/or that go over with the audience and it could open up some doors for you - particularly when you start back in the ring.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2009, 06:21:27 AM »
If you're creative, this could be an opportunity to show it.
Suggest a few ideas that the promoter likes and/or that go over with the audience and it could open up some doors for you - particularly when you start back in the ring.

Yeah, that's a good point, I might have to see if I can get someone to drive me down to the show on Sunday.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2009, 04:17:23 PM »
Update?

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2009, 08:08:42 PM »
The foot's slowly getting there, it's still a bit stiff, but apart from a slight limp I'm alright.  I don't think I'll be up to any ring activity until into the new year.  I'm gonna have to think about what I wanna do though, cos in 3 months of training, there weren't many weeks when I came home without something damaged.

The broken foot wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be, but it still put me out of work for a couple of weeks, and when you're self-employed, two weeks without wages is not good at all.

I really enjoy wrestling, but I've got family to support, so I haven't decided yet.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
Today your foot; tomorrow your...

I was talking with a colleague of mine today when my wrestling experience came up.
She asked, “So it’s not all fake, then?”

I said, “Well, there are some things you CAN’T fake…like gravity…”

When someone picks you up & slams you on a mat, I don’t care how “soft” that ring is or how careful you land…
You know yourself that even if you take a PERFECT bump, it still doesn’t tickle.

Injuries are inevitable, common, range in severity, and you’re vulnerable to every single one.

Do you know what would happen to you if you broke your neck?
The same thing that happens to everyone else.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2009, 08:23:35 PM »
It's much easier to understand how so many of these guys have to rely on a cocktail of drugs to get through the day.  After training, my neck would be sore for 3 days minimum, making it uncomfortable to even sleep.  I got suplexed into a rope a coupld of weeks in, which tore something in my knee, which still isn't right.  Plus the broken foot, and this was in only three months!

So many others there were / had been recently injured.  One guy had just come back from two broken ribs, the boss broke his wrist earlier this year, as had one of my mates, it really is a high risk pastime!

I think I'll go down to training to watch in the next couple of weeks and see how I feel.  I could always offer my services in some other capacity, something with slightly less impact!