Author Topic: Help me figure out what I'm doing wrong  (Read 6035 times)

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
Help me figure out what I'm doing wrong
« on: February 23, 2010, 09:00:11 PM »
Im having trouble staying lean as of late and I swear it seems like my muscle is melting away. I used to train 2 days, rest one with moderate to heavy weight; I've switched that to very heavy low reps 1 day train, 2 days rest. I was doing ok, eating fairly clean but kind of stalemated around 205lb (I'm 6'2") and my strength seemed to fluctuate week to week which annoyed me. I figured I'd give the "to get big you got to eat big" philosophy a shot and for the first 2 weeks my gains (strength and what seemed to be muscle mass) were great, I was very pleased. But as time went on, it seems to be backfiring and am now carrying much higher body fat. Not to mention, every time I do a heavy hard workout, making sure I keep it low reps / low sets (no more then 6-7 sets but go to failure on the last 3 sets [granted low reps]), the next day I'm looking flat as a pancake, and even when I recover fully days later, it almost seems I'm loosing muscle mass.

I have a hard time believing I'm over training given 1day on 2days rest, low reps / low sets; but then again, maybe I'm taking too many sets to failure? (about last 3 sets). The other thing is it seems the eating big diet doesn't agree with me, it did for a short short time, but now it has caught up with me.

I avoid cardio because every time I do cardo, for 20min x3 times week, I just seem to loose mass. Though I'm open to trying cardio again.

Any suggestions (serious ones that is) would be appreciated.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Re: Help me figure out what I'm doing wrong
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 02:26:04 AM »
Im having trouble staying lean as of late and I swear it seems like my muscle is melting away. I used to train 2 days, rest one with moderate to heavy weight; I've switched that to very heavy low reps 1 day train, 2 days rest. I was doing ok, eating fairly clean but kind of stalemated around 205lb (I'm 6'2") and my strength seemed to fluctuate week to week which annoyed me. I figured I'd give the "to get big you got to eat big" philosophy a shot and for the first 2 weeks my gains (strength and what seemed to be muscle mass) were great, I was very pleased. But as time went on, it seems to be backfiring and am now carrying much higher body fat. Not to mention, every time I do a heavy hard workout, making sure I keep it low reps / low sets (no more then 6-7 sets but go to failure on the last 3 sets [granted low reps]), the next day I'm looking flat as a pancake, and even when I recover fully days later, it almost seems I'm loosing muscle mass.

I have a hard time believing I'm over training given 1day on 2days rest, low reps / low sets; but then again, maybe I'm taking too many sets to failure? (about last 3 sets). The other thing is it seems the eating big diet doesn't agree with me, it did for a short short time, but now it has caught up with me.

I avoid cardio because every time I do cardo, for 20min x3 times week, I just seem to loose mass. Though I'm open to trying cardio again.

Any suggestions (serious ones that is) would be appreciated.
BINGO!  This is your problem IMO.  Your mind has been poisoned too much by the permabulkers.  Lift, eat right and do your cardio and you should be fine.  Hell maybe you will lose a little muscle but will also lose a lot of fat thus making the muscle you do have more noticeable.  Remember bodybuilding is about illusion.  Good Luck!