Author Topic: Trapezius trigger points  (Read 4378 times)

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
Trapezius trigger points
« on: January 07, 2010, 05:39:23 PM »
I sit at a desk on a computer all day and I know my posture sucks.  I have been battling tightness in the right trap for years but for the last 2 weeks I have pain, severe tightness and it has moved to my shoulder.  Is a massage therapist a better option than a chiropractor?  I have been doing stretches, massaging as best as I can but I cannot get deep enough in the muscle to release the tension.  Oh, and the wife bitches every time I ask to rub harder or hit the right spot.  She really doesn't have the strength to penetrate the muscle correctly so that option is not working to well...lol.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Trapezius trigger points
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
IMO you will probably want a massage therapist over a chiro.
Call around and find a MT who is skilled in myofascial and cross-friction tissue work - preferably one who's been doing it for a while and has experience and good, strong hands.

Posture & tensing up can often lead to trigger point development.
Chiropractic adjustments may help correct some posture problems, but for direct tissue work, it’s hard to beat a good massage.

OMT – it may benefit you to examine your work station. Are your computer monitor & keyboard positioned at the correct heights?
A lumbar support may help with your chair.

There’s a term for the above practice, but the name escapes me.
If interested, just do a web search for details on arranging office desks for optimum posture & comfort.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
yeah I am going to see a massage therapist next week.  I went to a chiropractor a couple years ago and it was like tossing money down the drain.  I just wanted to find someone that knows what they are doing and not someone who is fresh out of school or someone who only does it once in a while.  This guy I work with his wife is certified but hasn't given any message since she graduated over a year ago.  There are a lot of those around here.  Also we have a bunch of "happy ending" massage girls around which isn't bad but I REALLY need a true massage..lol.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 05:11:03 PM »
Also we have a bunch of "happy ending" massage girls around which isn't bad but I REALLY need a true massage..lol.

;D

It may not hurt to call one or two physical therapy clinics and ask them if they have a MT that either works out of their office or that they could at least recommend.