Author Topic: Mirko Cro Cop retires from mixed martial arts  (Read 1384 times)

LMV

• Getbig III
  • Time Out
Mirko Cro Cop retires from mixed martial arts
« on: September 24, 2009, 07:18:58 AM »

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, one of the most feared fighters over the last decade, has decided to end his career following his loss to Junior Dos Santos last Saturday at UFC 103. The most famous Croatian cop, has decided to retire immediately, stating another comeback is not an option. Nokaut.com was able to exclusively confirm the news earlier today.

Said Cro Cop; "I have no motivation left and it's time to leave. Thank you all for supporting me."

One of the most severly struck by the news, is Zvonimir Lucic, Mirko's manager and most reliable cornerstone throughout Cro Cop's numerous battles. Following his last conversation with Mirko, Mr. Lucic was instructed to release all Team Cro Cop members from their respective duties, officially ending an era spanning 15 years of blood, sweat and tears at Cro Cop's headquarters.

Today is a sad day for all Cro Cop fans worldwide as one of the most beloved and inspiring icons in combat sports has decided to walk away from competition and hang up his gloves for good.

Another scoop brought to you by

LMV, fair and balanced

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
Re: Mirko Cro Cop retires from mixed martial arts
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:31:33 AM »
very sad day. All of my idols are retiring or getting in the end of their careers...i dont think MMA will be fun for me anymore in some years. I miss the old times
!

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 08:09:48 AM »
Cro Cop latest interview - from today 24/9/9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filipovi? demantira: Nisam rekao da sam se odlu?io za opro?taj > Slobodna Dalmacija > Ostalo

-The day i say i wont do it anymore i'll stick to my word - says cro cop in his cafe while on the radio news spreads about the definite end of his career

- But i still havent said that and havent decided this is the end, I know i must rest well and decide.

There is no time boundary
Maybe next week, this weekend im going to my hometown.

To the interview he arrived from training, only four days after his fight.
- running on treadmill, half an hour of wrestling. its a way of life

on the match with the brazilian he didnt comment much beside

-I thank everyone for their support, for watching and following me, but i hate that i must answer to people, this is my decision, my blood my sweat and my tears, in that sense i dont owe anybody anything.

A simple problem detected is

- Problem is in the way of life, an army style that doesnt accept chritmas or new year.the problem isnt in trainings, i think in my life i skipped 5-6 sessions and never because i couldnt be bothered. If they offered me all the money in the world to not train, id refuse. Thats my routine ive lived 20 years with.

As the interview went on the talk about retirment faded away

- Many times alot of stuff builds up but i cannot say that i dont love this sport, its hard for me to decide now but i think that i will do these last two fights for UFC. thats simply the stronger thing of me to do. sometimes the mind says yes but the heart says no

With these last few words he left an interesting paralel.

- Its an example like when a man spends 30 years in jail, then gets released and robs a store only to steal a packet of ciggaretes so he can go back inside jail, because he cant live on the outside. This is what i fear.
Predictions
 40/61

Salvador

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 11:53:35 AM »
Great news!!! 8)

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 03:13:31 PM »
The man has nothing to prove, one of the all time best !!

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 12:10:22 AM »
I think this is the smart thing for Mirko to do,  I just think he waited far too long to try and implement new techniques in his training.  If you don't evolve you don't improve. 

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 02:40:03 AM »
does not surprise me just thought he would come over from pride and just destroy everyone just dont get it

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 09:36:58 PM »
does not surprise me just thought he would come over from pride and just destroy everyone just dont get it

Heh, I think we all thought that when it was announced he was coming to the UFC... it seemed almost impossible for him to lose after winning the Pride GP... he did it to himself though, for the first year he didn't train in a cage and paid the price for it.