Author Topic: Best Flair Promo in years  (Read 7164 times)

cobra_4

• Getbig II
Best Flair Promo in years
« on: November 02, 2009, 10:30:06 AM »
Good to see him getting to talk without Vince in his back pocket! Classic Flair!
http://www.1wrestling.com/news/newsline.asp?news=37347

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Best Flair Promo in years
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 01:06:54 PM »
"ask your ex-wife!"  hahaha  Good to see Flair still has it.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »
Yeah that one had me rolling. Dear God, please let TNA sign Ric Flair and give us one more memorable run where he has creative control over his interviews, its all I want for Christmas this year and next!! ;D

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I don't know. It's just sad to see a great one past his prime.

Here's Flair, at his peak, owning Sting to the point where the Stinger look like he's gonna cry.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:24:00 AM »
I don't know. It's just sad to see a great one past his prime.

Here's Flair, at his peak, owning Sting to the point where the Stinger look like he's gonna cry.

Ric Flair is untouchable on the mic. Classic interview.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 04:44:39 AM »
There is absolutely no doubt that Flair was/is the best ever on the mic, but even that promo he just cut is worlds better than anything I watched on RAW last night.  Granted, I couldn't struggle thru the whole show, but what I watched was just plain awful.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 08:04:30 AM »
There is absolutely no doubt that Flair was/is the best ever on the mic, but even that promo he just cut is worlds better than anything I watched on RAW last night.  Granted, I couldn't struggle thru the whole show, but what I watched was just plain awful.
I totally agree.

My solution? Lose the separate brand bullshit. Mix up the rosters so this will lead to new fueds and surprises on each show. Lose the parantal guidance bullshit. We are all adults. If people don't want their kids watching a taudry product, change the channel.

On the up side....isn't Batista as a heel much much much better then a face/ Watch Smackdown this friday night. You'll see what I mean. He basically put the fear of God in Mysterio and the crowd.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 01:31:19 PM »
I totally agree.

My solution? Lose the separate brand bullshit. Mix up the rosters so this will lead to new fueds and surprises on each show. Lose the parantal guidance bullshit. We are all adults. If people don't want their kids watching a taudry product, change the channel.

On the up side....isn't Batista as a heel much much much better then a face/ Watch Smackdown this friday night. You'll see what I mean. He basically put the fear of God in Mysterio and the crowd.

i did catch a bit of Batista and he was the best part of the show.  I agree on getting rid of the brand garbage.

I think they really, really need to get rid of the in-ring promos, except on a limited basis.  Bring back the announcers area away from the ring.  And work with these guys on their freakin' promos......lock them all in a room and loop Flair promo's from the 80's, or something....... they all look lost while trying to recall the lines they were told to say.  It's terrible and one of the reasons they can't get people into feuds.

While we are at it....bring back more of the pure face and pure heel stuff.  WAY too many tweeners.  Nothing wrong with an occasional one, but not everybody on the roster.

Rant over.......Whooooooooooo ooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 10:46:21 PM »
And work with these guys on their freakin' promos......lock them all in a room and loop Flair promo's from the 80's, or something....... they all look lost while trying to recall the lines they were told to say. 

This would be a good place to start

The thing about Flair is that he's timeless. His clothes in this vid don't look dated and this persona would work just as well, today.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 05:38:45 AM »
The biggest mistake Vince McMahon and alot of WWE fans make is that there are other organizations all over the world that have big stars in the ring. Not just WWE.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 06:38:39 AM »
This would be a good place to start

The thing about Flair is that he's timeless. His clothes in this vid don't look dated and this persona would work just as well, today.

Flair was the absolute master at putting over the federation, the other wrestlers, and the sport just as much as himself.  He took so many guy that were limited, either thru mic work or in-ring and made them stars.....or at least got people interested in them.  Todays "stars" could take a lesson from that alone.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 08:39:22 AM »
Good point. Problem with today's wrestlers is that the bulk of them have strickly OVW training and nothing else. They train for 3-6 months and then they're thrown on ECW or Smackdown and expected to perform at a high rate level. The old school guys wrestled the indies for years making gas money travelling from region to region before landing a spot in the big leagues where by then they were really experienced and they knew how to hold their own.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 09:16:53 AM »
Good point. Problem with today's wrestlers is that the bulk of them have strickly OVW training and nothing else. They train for 3-6 months and then they're thrown on ECW or Smackdown and expected to perform at a high rate level. The old school guys wrestled the indies for years making gas money travelling from region to region before landing a spot in the big leagues where by then they were really experienced and they knew how to hold their own.

Bingo! 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 12:50:20 PM »
The matches now are more fast paced and the wrestlers are more athletic then ever before. The Indies are a thing of the past and VKM is King. Get over it. What we need is more theatrics. No more in ring promos. One guy like Mene Gene that interviews the superstars in the arena but outside of the ring. To control the tempo. Capitol M for managers. The Federation needs managers. And lets dwell on the past. Why isnt Ted Jr$ being promoted as Daddys little boy? Put the Million Dollar Belt around his waist and promote him as the spoiled little rich kid. That guy has so much potential that they continue to waste on Legacy. Now the matches. Sometimes the matches suck because of bad chemistry. Perfect example is HHH/Orton. Is HHH a terrible wrestler? No but he and Orton were just oil and vinegar. Nobodys Perfect except Kurt Hennig. To me and my Wrestling friends. Wrestling has lost the Soap Opera qulity that it needs to bring back. If I was VKM. Id start by having only 5 belts. Heavyweight, IC, Tag Belts, and womens title. Then the fueds have more creditbility. But then again? VKM is a billionaire that put his competition into exstinction and Chef Timmy flips burgers.
You have no clue as to what your talking about. For starters, the indies are NOT a thing of the past. As I said before, WWE is NOT the only organization out there. They are just the most well known. There are wrestling regions all over the world, my friend. Europe, Japan, North America, Mexico, Puerto Rico. Its not all about the mighty ( ::) ) WWE. Vince is his own worst enemy and is not the only wrestling promoter out there. I have personally seen better ROH (Ring of Honor) and better TNA fast paced matches then any WWE matches with its washed up, 45+ year old, injury prone roster. There's a difference between being smart and being lucky and VKM is lucky. Had it not been for Ted Turner's dumb ass suit and tie people that had zero wrestling knowledge, VKM would be bagging groceries at no frills. He got LUCKY in that war because he was on the verge of being ousted and he'll always have a dark cloud over his head witht he steroid trial and sex scandal of the ninties. Even A.J Styles told Vince to shove it and didn't want a contract with WWE. WWE is not the only entity out there, brother.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 08:22:23 AM »
so if there's so much indy promotions and so much more wrestling talent out there? why don't we see any new faces in the federation especially if the roster is so ancient and injury prone? What is AJ styles? Who gives a shite about him?
Not everyone wants to wrestle in the WWE. I would rather make 300,000 dollars a year in TNA with the option to wrestle the indies, European shows and in Japan for extra cash on a very limited schedual. In the WWE guys in the mid card range who make that figure listed above have to wrestle 5-6 days a week and are strickly on a WWE schedual and have no other sources to make more money.

You can blame Vince for not seeing any new faces in the WWE roster. He had Bruce Pritchard who was a very experieced talent agent and he let him go. He demoted Jim Ross to commentary only. Jim Ross used to be the head of talent relations and he's the one who found Cena back in California and told Vince back in 2002 "I just found your main event for WM in 4 years time" and thats exactly what happened. He let Paul Heymen go. Heymen had the experience and the tools to find talent and develope them. In the original ECW it was Heymen that created Steve Austin's bad boy gimmick. It was in the original ECW that Austin drank his first beer. NOT in the WWE. Jim Cornette was another one Vince should have kept for the same reasons.  But then again, we all know and it has been proven time and time again that Vince likes to bury people (stars) he hasn't created.

Who is A.J Styles? Your kidding right  ???
A.J Styles is one of TNA's best stars. His moves are innovative and have been duplicated (copied) by a lot of WWE stars. Styles can make any WWE star look ridiculous. Watch any of his matches in TNA, espeically his earlier X division work and you'll see what I mean. As I said before, there are many more organizations out there that pay good money to talent with better options in their contracts. Not just the WWE and the dictator who runs it.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 05:08:33 AM »
Hulkamania is the strongest force in the universe! Hulkster is my childhood hero. No one was on his level. Could you imagine Flair talking about alligator shoes and limos in front of this animal? Hogan is P4P greatest champion ever. No one could have beaten Hulkster at Mania III. Hogan was 100000000000000% intensity.

Up until Hulks defeat at 6. Any era Flair couldn't come close to him. The guy was an animal. Maybe 20 times I've seen him live? Seriously out of control.

Tim, you sound like a 12yr old mark.  Great that you liked Hogan as a kid, but if you think he holds a candle to Flair in the promo department, you are either just trying to push Flair fans buttons, mildly retarded or should never voice your opinion on anything wrestling related again.  I think it's the first one, just so you know.... ;D

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 05:57:47 AM »
Flair had some great promos.  Unfortunately, he recently released his worst...

~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 06:51:49 AM »
Flair had some great promos.  Unfortunately, he recently released his worst...

And still better than 90% of other guys promos !!!! Whoooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 07:37:58 AM »
Flair was the absolute master at putting over the federation, the other wrestlers, and the sport just as much as himself.  He took so many guy that were limited, either thru mic work or in-ring and made them stars.....or at least got people interested in them.  Todays "stars" could take a lesson from that alone.

I remember one of his matches against perennial jobber George South...he made South look like a top guy to the point I thought they might be getting ready to "push" old George, until I saw him get squashed by "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert (a good enough wrestler but hardly a top tier star) the very next week. 
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 07:45:57 AM »
I remember one of his matches against perennial jobber George South...he made South look like a top guy to the point I thought they might be getting ready to "push" old George, until I saw him get squashed by "Hot Stuff" Eddie Gilbert (a good enough wrestler but hardly a top tier star) the very next week. 

Flair did that countless times.  It's funny how "marks" tried to use that against him back in the day in that "he barely beat Ron Ritchie on TV" when in actuallity it was a sign of just how great he was/is.  No doubt he could have had a broomstick in the #1 contender spot if asked to.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 02:57:30 PM »
Tim, you sound like a 12yr old mark. 

This is probably the approach Flair would've taken with Hogan if they were fueding in the 80s, "Little boys like Hulk Hogan. Real men like Ric Flair."

Here's Flair doing a variation of this theme on Ricky Morton:

"You like the little, teeny girls. I like the big girls." Classic.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
This is probably the approach Flair would've taken with Hogan if they were fueding in the 80s, "Little boys like Hulk Hogan. Real men like Ric Flair."

Here's Flair doing a variation of this theme on Ricky Morton:

"You like the little, teeny girls. I like the big girls." Classic.

That was an awesome promo....I remember watching it when he cut it.   That was a redhot feud at the time.

And you are right, Flair could have had a field day with the whole "eat vitamins, say your prayers, blah, blah blah" spiel.  With Hogan pretending to live the clean life it would have been an awesome contrast in promos.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 05:35:48 AM »
That was an awesome promo....I remember watching it when he cut it.   That was a redhot feud at the time.

And you are right, Flair could have had a field day with the whole "eat vitamins, say your prayers, blah, blah blah" spiel.  With Hogan pretending to live the clean life it would have been an awesome contrast in promos.
Exactly spot on. Flair is untouchable in the promo dept especially during the JCP days of the NWA between 1985-1988.