Author Topic: My progression from 2005 to 2009  (Read 4331 times)

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
Re: My progression from 2005 to 2009
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 07:27:28 PM »
i go parallel, but i use the smith machine like Jay Cutler  does.  i think it allows you to focus more on the quads, vs free weight where a lot of your hips and abs/core have to come into play, which can contribute to thickening the muscle around your core, making your waist bigger.

:-[

Per Se

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 07:42:37 PM »
:-[

I hear what Matt's trying to say, and if he feels smith machine squats are better for HIM, then I wouldn't argue.
However, it sounds a little too much like an excuse as to not go HARD on leg day.

Regular squat is king.

clued-up

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »
Yeh i haven't packed on a ton of weight, but iv made some gains, and filled in my frame a bit. 

let the bashing begin!

you photo shopped yourself to look much worse... yeah, that's about your speed.

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2009, 07:47:53 PM »
I hear what Matt's trying to say, and if he feels smith machine squats are better for HIM, then I wouldn't argue.
However, it sounds a little too much like an excuse as to not go HARD on leg day.

Regular squat is king.

even though matt t is  a fag.. i agree with him here.. i feel more lower back on free squats then i do with smith squats... smith squats give me more pump in my quads.
real men= no rubbers

MattT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Sponsored by: PVL Sports Nutrition
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2009, 11:01:27 PM »

Regular squat is king.

Its not an excuse and i do go hard. I start at 1 plate a side and do 30 reps, 2 plates 15 reps, 3 plates 12 reps, 4 plates 12 reps.  Then drop it down 3 plates 15 reps, 2 plates 20 reps, 1 plate 50 reps.  Try that your legs will be soooo pumped!,  then its off to the hack squat, then single leg leg press.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 11:22:52 PM »
Its not an excuse and i do go hard. I start at 1 plate a side and do 30 reps, 2 plates 15 reps, 3 plates 12 reps, 4 plates 12 reps.  Then drop it down 3 plates 15 reps, 2 plates 20 reps, 1 plate 50 reps.  Try that your legs will be soooo pumped!,  then its off to the hack squat, then single leg leg press.

Yeah, but do you do that because it's better or because you're afraid of freeweight squatting?  I know this is for pageantry so whatever, but I'm just saying, are you one of those guys who is afraid of squatting and deadlifting properly?

MattT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Sponsored by: PVL Sports Nutrition
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 11:42:11 PM »
Yeah, but do you do that because it's better or because you're afraid of freeweight squatting?  I know this is for pageantry so whatever, but I'm just saying, are you one of those guys who is afraid of squatting and deadlifting properly?

I just want my waist to stay as small as possible I'm afraid those exercise will make it bigger, as more stabilization muscles in my core will be used.  I mean this bodybuilding, i know squats are a great old staple in building legs, but you can do it with smith machine squats and just better isolate your quads.  A lot of guys use to think that flat free weight bench press was the best way to build your chest, then they switch over to smith machine and better isolate their chest muscle, vs having their delts stabilize a lot of the weight.  Then they start seeing gains in their chest..  Its just like using better engineered equipment, why wouldn't you want to use it?.  I know a lot of guys have an ego and they can't be seen in the gym using dinky machines etc, but in the end it will save your joints and ligaments in the long run.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 01:53:08 AM »
Shapewise you're blessed...