Author Topic: Gold's Corp. is Screwing up a good thing  (Read 6486 times)

Steve Pulcinella

• Getbig II
  • www.ironsport.com
Re: Gold's Corp. is Screwing up a good thing
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »
Its true, I have owned a "hardcore gym" now for 15 years, I work 75 hours a week for very little money  and i'm getting my dick beat in the dirt by a fucking ballys and a Planet Fitness near us. Even most of the guys around my way who THINK they are hardcore are too scared to come to my place. Plus most people are just cheap fucks and would rather save $8 and Join these chain joker clubs. The Gold's that was nearby just closed its doors after only being in business for maybe 3 years. Twinks rule the world now fellas.

Check out my website and dream about the day when gyms like this were in every town. www.ironsport.com

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 11:57:21 AM »
Its true, I have owned a "hardcore gym" now for 15 years, I work 75 hours a week for very little money  and i'm getting my dick beat in the dirt by a fucking ballys and a Planet Fitness near us. Even most of the guys around my way who THINK they are hardcore are too scared to come to my place. Plus most people are just cheap fucks and would rather save $8 and Join these chain joker clubs. The Gold's that was nearby just closed its doors after only being in business for maybe 3 years. Twinks rule the world now fellas.

Check out my website and dream about the day when gyms like this were in every town. www.ironsport.com

The majority of the guys on here will never ever be able to relate to what we grew up with in terms of a real gym.  I started training in 1974 or so in a neighborhood gym this man built in his backyard (he turned his garage into a gym).  The fees were $20 a month, he had everyone have a training book where he personally wrote your workout down for the next day.  He was an old timer olympic lifter we called "Doc".  He was a mentor to many.  There was bike rims used as pulleys, and giant gears and plates used as weights and machines he created and welded himself.  There was even a boxing ring there.  Very basic and no more than 10 people could workout at the same time.  It was really hardcore but awesome.  I started at the Original World's Gym back around 1980 or so.  That was the most experience I learned in training.  After that I went to Ray Mentzers gym "Muscle Mill" in Redondo Beach.  That was the last really hardcore gym I trained at till I got to Hawaii and trained at "The Gym" which was awesome.  I hate the way the gyms are now.  I am a barbell and dumbell guy.  I was at the gym I go to now and awhile back I couldn't figure out how to use this lower back machine.  The good ol' days are gone.  The mega gyms is the way it is now.  The generate a ton of money but it just isn't personable like it used to be. 

Here is a shot Gene Mozee (hall of fame photographer) took of me (one of many) at Ray's Muscle Mill for an article he never got around to doing.
No Worries 4 me

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 12:33:40 PM »
The majority of the guys on here will never ever be able to relate to what we grew up with in terms of a real gym.  I started training in 1974 or so in a neighborhood gym this man built in his backyard (he turned his garage into a gym).  The fees were $20 a month, he had everyone have a training book where he personally wrote your workout down for the next day.  He was an old timer olympic lifter we called "Doc".  He was a mentor to many.  There was bike rims used as pulleys, and giant gears and plates used as weights and machines he created and welded himself.  There was even a boxing ring there.  Very basic and no more than 10 people could workout at the same time.  It was really hardcore but awesome.  I started at the Original World's Gym back around 1980 or so.  That was the most experience I learned in training.  After that I went to Ray Mentzers gym "Muscle Mill" in Redondo Beach.  That was the last really hardcore gym I trained at till I got to Hawaii and trained at "The Gym" which was awesome.  I hate the way the gyms are now.  I am a barbell and dumbell guy.  I was at the gym I go to now and awhile back I couldn't figure out how to use this lower back machine.  The good ol' days are gone.  The mega gyms is the way it is now.  The generate a ton of money but it just isn't personable like it used to be. 

Here is a shot Gene Mozee (hall of fame photographer) took of me (one of many) at Ray's Muscle Mill for an article he never got around to doing.

maybe the days of wanting to look like a gorilla are over, "no worries"?
Deep Tissue Massage

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »
Shit! You're all babes in the woods!

How many of you can recall the original and real hardcore 'gyms' that offered 'bowling pins' to train with?

Or those mechanical belts that shook the fat off your ass?

Or the loose and swaying benches that you had to balance on while attempting to set those original bench press records before guys like Pat Casey did the  impossible with 600 pounds (while the lions roared - See previous post a few years back).

How many of you GetBiggers remember the original world of Personal Trainers when you'd simply worked in with the likes of Reeves, and Eifferman, and Hilligen, and gradually with the likes of some new big kids named Scott or Schwarzenegger or Draper or many others.

You'd simply asked, "Can I work in with your guys?" and proceed to accomplish the same lifts that they were doing. There was no negative-this or positive-that bullshit and no fees exchanged hands unless you enjoyed your workout with stronger lifters and volunteered to buy the lunch at the Germans or the Swedish Smorgasboard place just around the cornor.

And if you were a bit weaker, it never was a problem removing a plate or two in them good old days. Patience was a virtue back then.

Back in those good old days, just about 90% of the gym rats could do a 300+ pound bench before they asked to  train with the 'bigger guys'.

You guys got no idea what a gym was like when crazy guys  like Lalanne or Baptiste ran the only 'gyms' in town outside of the local Y's.

Hell, I never even saw an Olympic plate until I saw a shit-load of them at the original Gold's.

Gyms before that time were dumps in which you had to search through a pile of ten pound 'plates' and bolt them together if you could find the pair of pliers that were often missing.

And there was no such things as squat racks! And every bench would sway at the slightest breeze even before you sat on it. Benching anything over 135 was a life threatening experience.

Then came a new business called American Health Studios and someone took the ball from Jack Lalanne and rebuilt it for the masses and 'gym things' and 'gym rats' started to gradually improve.

Shiney chrome gym-things appeared almost overnight and those bowling ball pins and medicine balls disappeared immediately, but even today if you look hard enough your can find one of those machines that shake the fat off your ass (or the bottom of your feet).

Then some guy named Joe started welding and the gym business got hard-core for the first time in its life. At first it simply attracted UCLA and USA football players and a few guys who wanted to have a muscular body (actually less than 10 muscle-heads in the whole LA basin back then). So the competitive football players outnumbered the less than competitive bodybuilders back then, but that was soon to change.

Joe eventually  sold to Ken and then Ken sold to Pete and his guys but not before Ken had to sue Joe for attempting to use his own name once again (he lost and World Gym became "World Gym" and not another Joe Gold's) and Pete sold lots of T-shirts which kept the doors opened.

And then one day Pete saw lots of people outside looking in the window to watch  the guys who were lifting heavy things by that window so that they could they would be admired by all those window lookers.

So Pete built a bench and placed it inside the gym to that those on the outside could come to the inside and sit comfortably and watch the heavy-thing lifters.

This small act of kindness on Pete's part resulted in increased T-shit sales which allowed the Pete and his business  to at least keep their doors open a little while longer.

And then someone thought of even a better idea. Why don't we open Gold's Gyms all over the USA. And maybe even someday in Dubai, India. (This solid thinker was way ahead of his time!)

And so the Gold Gym Franchise was born ..... Keith knows more about this than I myself can recall.

And that is just the beginning of this story...... More to come if there is any interest.

Pig, actually the days of looking like a gorilla have just begun..... but only for a very select and positive few. I'm right in this assumption but only time will convince you otherwise.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 12:57:08 PM »
maybe the days of wanting to look like a gorilla are over, "no worries"?

Don't tell that to the IFBB pros.
No Worries 4 me

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 01:00:20 PM »
Stunt? You have to get all your stuff on tape and then get yourself a ghostwriter. Absolutely fascinating stuff. Very American, if you know what I mean. 

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 01:14:41 PM »
Thanks, Chimp! Nice of your to say that!
________________________ ____________

I only defend weak people and things but this time I come to sort of defend Keith and the extreme and positive manner in which he attempted to put the "best gym in the world" together.

If it wasn't for this fookt-uo economy we would all be seeing what every real gym should be in today's modern age.

A place to fight and train and even run, and even fight, and train adn get beat up at high altitudes!

A place where you could come and relax and watch people lift heavy things and possibly even set new world records.

A place to watch heavy hitters getting the shit kicked out of them by even heavier hitters and shake hands when it's all over.

A place to wonder about. Why wasn't this done earlier? How did one man think of all this gym stuff that is so new to every gym rat everywhere.

But this economy hit hard and fooked it up. The best laid plans of mice and men .......... are often led astray (or something like that!)

I though I saw it all over all these years, but I had the opportunity to visualize Keith's mind when he thought about and discussed this passion of his with myself and many others , and each and every time, I said "WOW!" to myself and anyone else who came close to understanding what he planned to do.

Someday you positive GetBig thinkers might be receiving a lifetime membership for being so damn positive. But I know a couple who will  be blocked at the front door. (Maybe!)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 01:19:54 PM »
You should know by now Goatballs, all I am trying to do is be as successful as you.  You are the epitome of success and I just want to be like you.  Don't be mean.  Someday I will hopefully just be half as successful as you.  Guide me oh lordship

In that case, here's a pearl of wisdow:  If financial success is what you're after, opening a gym is about the dumbest thing you could do.

Hope this Helps!  :D
Ron: "I am lazy."

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 01:20:15 PM »
Thanks, Chimp! Nice of your to say that!
________________________ ____________

I only defend weak people and things but this time I come to sort of defend Keith and the extreme and positive manner in which he attempted to put the "best gym in the world" together.

If it wasn't for this fookt-uo economy we would all be seeing what every real gym should be in today's modern age.

A place to fight and train and even run, and even fight, and train adn get beat up at high altitudes!

A place where you could come and relax and watch people lift heavy things and possibly even set new world records.

A place to watch heavy hitters getting the shit kicked out of them by even heavier hitters and shake hands when it's all over.

A place to wonder about. Why wasn't this done earlier? How did one man think of all this gym stuff that is so new to every gym rat everywhere.

But this economy hit hard and fooked it up. The best laid plans of mice and men .......... are often led astray (or something like that!)

I though I saw it all over all these years, but I had the opportunity to visualize Keith's mind when he thought about and discussed this passion of his with myself and many others , and each and every time, I said "WOW!" to myself and anyone else who came close to understanding what he planned to do.

Someday you positive GetBig thinkers might be receiving a lifetime membership for being so damn positive. But I know a couple who will  be blocked at the front door. (Maybe!)

I'm pretty sure me and 90% of America are not looking for any of these things.  A bigger screen on the treadmill would be nice though

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 01:27:43 PM »
Yea, Monkey. That is what most seem to be looking for but Hard Core is still a reality among many others.

The world travels in continuous circles.

And so, it seems, does life.

And let's not overlook 'history'.

Someday 'hard core' will be selected by the masses and history will repeat itself .....

But on a much more massive scale.

But for most GetBiggers only a return of the Hula Hoop and mis-matching  socks will convince them otherwise.

Respectfully submitted. Stunt

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 01:31:23 PM »

Someday 'hard core' will be selected by the masses and history will repeat itself .....

Respectfully submitted. Stunt

That some things are mutually exclusive seems to escape you.....

Respectfully submitted, Monkey

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 02:28:20 PM »
Hahaha me not opening my gym is still way more than anything you have done.  Epic failure on your part.

Thanks man.  The only people who rag on me are the ones who have no idea about the gym business or business itself.  I had bad timing and my partners knew it and it didn't work out this time.  The only people crying are the haters.  And thank god they are people like Goodrum and Goatballs because they mean nothing to me or anyone else so it is better they are not anywhere near a supporter of mine.  Oh by the way Goodrum where is your gym you said you had being built.  And yours was just a piece of shit 1500 sq ft gym.  Whatever happened to that.  My water bill costs more than it would have cost to put that together.  You are the "apex" of the term failure.  Not one person on this site or others support you or believe your bullshit.  Yet, you still pawn it off on us. When are you going to learn.

I said I was going to open one in the near future.  I didn't go and set a booth at an expo or build a website or franchise it like you did.  However there is a new gym in my town that will be opening up in 2 weeks that's only 2000 sq ft.  Smaller gyms are more suited to smaller towns or communities and using the town name or etc in the business name helps advertise the business more to residents rather than a name like Golds or Planet Fitness.

There are more ants than elephants, Keith.  Smaller and more compact gyms are easier to open up and operate than major chain gyms which are going the way of the dinosaur.  Even Anytime Fitness is now offering 1500 sq feet gym franchises so the idea is catching on as I stated years ago to you.
A

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 02:30:59 PM »

Damn, you got a row of Atlas Stones sitting in the background..... :o
A

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »

That's too fucking bad...man. Shame.
HAHA, RON.....

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2009, 02:45:01 PM »
I can't believe the morons at Gold's corp.  The latest owners TRT Holdings bought Gold's for who knows what reason. They have no idea about the indstry and their atest CEO has quit making him I am not sure but I think maybe the 3rd or 4th since they bought it back in 2005 or so.  Gold's was the best in the world at one time.  And even though they have more corp. gyms now they did it in a fucked up way.  World Gym recently sold last year for near nothing.  They had lost over 100 gyms in a year.  It is too bad. 

And this affects me, how? ???

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »
Hey some things work some things don't.  Gotta move on.  How is whatever you do going?........................ ...  Just as I thought.
Whatever I am doing has skyrocketed the last few weeks and I'm loaded up with work!!1 Thanks for asking. 8)

Wait.......was your fat ass being sarcastic? I'm not the one that came here and bragged about how great my gym was going to be. ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Steve Pulcinella

• Getbig II
  • www.ironsport.com
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 06:06:20 PM »
Damn, you got a row of Atlas Stones sitting in the background..... :o

Yeah, my background is in powerlifting/strongman/highland games so I have most of the strongman equipment for anyone to use down there. We have about 5 or 6 strongman that compete on a regular basis that train there. Its a 7500 sq ft facility with a cardio room, selectorized machines, very clean locker rooms, we are in a highly populated suburb of Philly. It's just a tough row to hoe when you have these $10 a month places opening up near us now. I'm still plugging away though, I'll never stop trying.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 09:57:55 PM »

I said I was going to open one in the near future.  I didn't go and set a booth at an expo or build a website or franchise it like you did.  However there is a new gym in my town that will be opening up in 2 weeks that's only 2000 sq ft.  Smaller gyms are more suited to smaller towns or communities and using the town name or etc in the business name helps advertise the business more to residents rather than a name like Golds or Planet Fitness.

There are more ants than elephants, Keith.  Smaller and more compact gyms are easier to open up and operate than major chain gyms which are going the way of the dinosaur.  Even Anytime Fitness is now offering 1500 sq feet gym franchises so the idea is catching on as I stated years ago to you.

#1 no way in the world could you afford to do what we did at the Olympia.  #2 no one in their right mind who knew anything about the gymn industry would do business with you.  Smaller gyms cannot handle the pricing the bigger gyms can offer.  The only place you can build a small gym like you want is in towns that are small.  A 2000 sq . ft gym can only handle a membership base of maybe 500 at the most, and that is stretching it.  If a middle size to large size club moves in you would close down.  With a small club like that you can barely make enough to cover your overhead.  You can't have any locker rooms per se.  The clubs like Anytime Fitness have a small market share.  They may be opening up but they are losing down too.  At one time Curves would have as many as 1800 clubs for sale.  they open and they close after just a couple years.  You are small minded and have small aspirations.  You can't afford to do what I have done or tried.  It is that simple.  You think the people who were or are involved with me because I am fat.  Wrong they get involved with me cause I know what i am doing and I have 30+ years experience.  Again, my past helps me.  Don't try to compete with me Goodrum.  You are way out of your league.  You could not get one person with any type of reputation or experience to support anything you do.  By the way if a certain Bill passes through Congress then Anytime Fitness might find themselves in a bind.  Oh by the way, it is a fact that franchises and larger establishments survive longer than independant owned smaller businesses.  There are some rare instances where an independant will survive and that is because they have built a positive reputation in the community and establish loyalty with their members.
No Worries 4 me

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 10:01:40 PM »
Whatever I am doing has skyrocketed the last few weeks and I'm loaded up with work!!1 Thanks for asking. 8)

Wait.......was your fat ass being sarcastic? I'm not the one that came here and bragged about how great my gym was going to be. ;)

Dude everyone has seen you.  you don't have anything to brag about.  Come back when you do something worthwhile.  As ugly and fat and stupid looking as you are, you actually make me feel better about myself.  Thanks for that
No Worries 4 me

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2009, 10:05:01 PM »
Dude everyone has seen you.  you don't have anything to brag about.  Come back when you do something worthwhile.  As ugly and fat and stupid looking as you are, you actually make me feel better about myself.  Thanks for that
LOL, I seriously doubt your diabetes feels good about yourself.  Did you lose the cane yet?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2009, 10:47:08 PM »
I saw a place on Fri called 'My Gym' and it had a sign saying it was a gym for children.  A gym... for children.  And I thought: WTF??

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2009, 10:49:21 PM »
LOL, I seriously doubt your diabetes feels good about yourself.  Did you lose the cane yet?

Nice try.  Not even close to having diabetes and I bet my cholesterol is lower than yours.  No cane yet though but sure could use one.  Anything else you want to say to try and make you look better, but fail.  Keep trying.
No Worries 4 me

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2009, 07:13:48 AM »
I saw a place on Fri called 'My Gym' and it had a sign saying it was a gym for children.  A gym... for children.  And I thought: WTF??

Hhahahahah!  Place sounds like a nightmare.  Like kids need a gym, little creeps should be out riding bikes, climbing trees that kind of stuff.  parents so afraid to let little Johnny out of their sight for one second they need to bring them to a gym where someone has their eye on them all the time.  Like someone would really wanna steal their little obnoxious brat.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2009, 07:25:36 AM »
Nice try.  Not even close to having diabetes and I bet my cholesterol is lower than yours.  No cane yet though but sure could use one.  Anything else you want to say to try and make you look better, but fail.  Keep trying.
::)

You fell off that pedestal you put yourself on years ago, you're just too fat to realize it.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2009, 08:57:36 AM »
Hhahahahah!  Place sounds like a nightmare.  Like kids need a gym, little creeps should be out riding bikes, climbing trees that kind of stuff.  parents so afraid to let little Johnny out of their sight for one second they need to bring them to a gym where someone has their eye on them all the time.  Like someone would really wanna steal their little obnoxious brat.

The more I thought about it the sadder it got.  I bet it also has to do with the childhood obesity epidemic which seems to have afflicted 2/3 kids (because 2/3 parents think high fructose corn syrup is the same as corn and fruit).  Poor little butterballs don't even get to have a proper childhood anymore.  Kid's gym my ass.  Go catch some dragonflies or something.

Maybe I should poke my head in there before I judge tho.  Might be full of a bunch of chalked up 6 year olds with wrapped knees squatting for PRs, and when I walk in one would shout "The women's gym is down the road, skinny!"  :o