Author Topic: TNA News:  (Read 160166 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Re: TNA News:
« Reply #975 on: August 24, 2011, 07:09:15 PM »
wrestlezone.com

Regarding an update on the return of Jeff Hardy to TNA Wrestling, the word is that he will be returning to the company as a babyface once again, and not as a heel which he left as

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #976 on: August 26, 2011, 05:54:47 AM »
The August 2011 issue of the UK based wrestling magazine Power Slam reports that there is a sizable pay discrepancy among the female performers of TNA Wrestling.

The magazine states that Christy Hemme and Mickie James are the highest-paid female talent in the organization: each earn more than $100,000 per year. Meanwhile, the rest of TNA's female wrestlers and personalities (Angelina Love, Brooke Tessmacher, Cookie, Jackie, Madison Rayne, ODB, Rosita, Sarita, SoCal Val, Tara, Traci Brooks, Velvet Sky and Winter) earn far less: $600 per appearance at most.

Karen Jarrett's salary is not stated, but the magazine indicates that she commands an above average appearance fee.

Hemme and James command the highest salaries because both were high-profile performers in WWE and thus are more valuable than the other women due to their name recognition. Though the magazine does not indicate which female talent earns more, it is noted that both make a similar low six-figure amount per year. Hemme, however, solely works televised events whereas James additionally appears on the company's live event tour.

Hemme's reported salary has drawn criticism from fans and colleagues who feel it's exorbitant for a non-wrestling female personality. The Honky Tonk Man claimed last year that her contract renewal with TNA last year was for three years at an annual rate of $175,000. He also said that Eric Bischoff, a huge supporter of the former WWE Diva and Playboy cover girl, helped Hemme obtain the high-end deal. Wrestling Observer editor Dave Meltzer would not confirm the veracity of the former WWE star's claim, however, he did say that the deal made her the highest paid female performer in the company.

Reports of Hemme's salary last year reportedly upset some of her female co-workers.

At the maximum second-tier rate, a TNA Knockout who appeared on every single television and pay-per-view event over the course of a calender year, 64 in all, would garner $38,400 at most. TNA solely covers airfare, leaving talent to cover all other expenses including lodging, wardrobe and medical. There is also no downside guarantee, thus meaning talent only get paid when they are used. And while the company holds numerous non-televised events, each tour features a rotation of two to five female performers.

Velvet Sky, who is arguably the organization's top homegrown female star, is believed to be earning the maximum rate of the second-tier salary cap. Her contract renewal with TNA last year reportedly called for her salary to be bumped from $300 per appearance to $600. However, she is an exception to the rule on salary hikes for female talent. Gail Kim, Awesome Kong and Shelly Martinez (a/k/a Salinas) have all publicly stated that they left TNA because organization officials denied their requests for a pay raise.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #977 on: August 26, 2011, 06:05:40 AM »
wrestlezone

PWInsider.com is reporting that although Jeff Hardy is backstage at tonight's Impact Wrestling tapings in Hunstville, Alabama, TNA only plans to use him on the second set of tapings which will air on September 8th.

The first set of tapings, which airs next week, September 1st, will be used to advertise and hype Hardy's return to TV the following week.

On a related note, September 8th is also the day Jeff Hardy is due back in court to continue his case.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #978 on: August 26, 2011, 06:16:20 AM »
In a brand new, extremely candid article posted over at Grantland.com, the subsite of ESPN's Bill Simmons, many claims are made about WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair, including him wrestling with a heart condition & more. Below are highlights from the article, which you can read in full by clicking on the above link.

-The article claims that Flair currently wrestles with a heart condition known as alcoholic cardiomyopathy.

-As far as why he continues to wrestle, the article claims that it's because Flair was recently evicted from his home due to non-payment of his rent, and that he is in serious need of money.

The following topics are also addressed:

-Flair using the NWA title belt for collateral for different loans.

-Nonpayment of taxes throughout the 1980s.

-The lawsuit filed against him for allegedly flashing his genitals to flight attendants.

-Domestic and physical issues with several of his ex-wives.

It should be noted that this is not an interview, as Flair reportedly declined the interview offer.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6891795/the-wrestler-real-life

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #979 on: August 26, 2011, 02:06:16 PM »
Becky Bayless aka Cookie appears to be done with TNA after tweeting an update today.

Good morning booskis! New day & new twitter name...A big thank you to my TNA fam & fans, but it's time to move on...excited for what's next

wrestlezone.com.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #980 on: August 26, 2011, 04:49:35 PM »
pwtorch

Ric Flair is threatening to sue over a claim by ESPN.com-affiliated website Grantland.com that he has a heart condition caused by years of drinking.

A representative for Flair claimed to TMZ that Flair does not suffer from "alcoholic cardiomyopathy," which was reported in the expose by columnist Shane Ryan on Flair's troubled personal and professional life.

"While the information gleaned from courthouse records may be credible, Mr. Fliehr is currently evaluating his legal options with respect to falsehoods in the story, specifically the untrue statement that he suffers from alcoholic cardiomyopathy," Flair's rep said.

Flair is reportedly "furious" over the article, specifically the claim that years of alcohol consumption has caused a heart problem.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #981 on: August 29, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »
pwtorch

Ric Flair is threatening to sue over a claim by Grantland.com reporter Shane Ryan that Flair has a heart condition - Alcoholic Cardiomyopathy - due to years of excessive drinking. Through a representative, Flair claimed the reported condition is not true and he's "evaluating his legal options."

In his 2004 autobiography, "To Be The Man," Flair writes about being diagnosed with alcoholic cardiomyopathy around the time of his return to WWE in 2002.
On pg. 304/427, Flair writes, "Through my many years of partying, I also developed something called 'alcoholic cardiomyopathy, a weakening of the heart muscles. I first detected that there was something wrong when my heart began skipping beats. I went to a cardiologist friend who told me that when your heart pumps, it expands like a rubber band. But mine was doing it too much. Initially, I thought that steroids might be responsible, but the doctor dismissed this theory. My heart was fluttering from thirty-five years of hitting it hard."

The next part of Flair's statement in his autobiography gets to the heart of the Grantland story. Flair writes, "It's part of the price I've paid for being Ric Flair. In exchange for the glory and good times, I acquired a heart condition, self-esteem issues, and cataracts from tanning beds - and very nearly wrecked my marriage to a great woman."

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #982 on: August 29, 2011, 04:51:48 PM »
pwinsider

James Storm announced via his Twitter page that he's been diagnosed with a partial separation of his shoulder. While he's been working through the pain, he's been told he needs to take it easy or he'll be out of the ring for 4-6 weeks, which would put him out of TNA's biggest PPV event of the year, Bound for Glory.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #983 on: August 29, 2011, 04:56:35 PM »
pwtorch

Ric Flair is threatening to sue over a claim by Grantland.com reporter Shane Ryan that Flair has a heart condition - Alcoholic Cardiomyopathy - due to years of excessive drinking. Through a representative, Flair claimed the reported condition is not true and he's "evaluating his legal options."

In his 2004 autobiography, "To Be The Man," Flair writes about being diagnosed with alcoholic cardiomyopathy around the time of his return to WWE in 2002.
On pg. 304/427, Flair writes, "Through my many years of partying, I also developed something called 'alcoholic cardiomyopathy, a weakening of the heart muscles. I first detected that there was something wrong when my heart began skipping beats. I went to a cardiologist friend who told me that when your heart pumps, it expands like a rubber band. But mine was doing it too much. Initially, I thought that steroids might be responsible, but the doctor dismissed this theory. My heart was fluttering from thirty-five years of hitting it hard."

The next part of Flair's statement in his autobiography gets to the heart of the Grantland story. Flair writes, "It's part of the price I've paid for being Ric Flair. In exchange for the glory and good times, I acquired a heart condition, self-esteem issues, and cataracts from tanning beds - and very nearly wrecked my marriage to a great woman."

Sorry, it was a long day...
So, Flair is suing someone for claiming something that he, himself, admitted in his own book?

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #984 on: August 29, 2011, 05:00:45 PM »

Sorry, it was a long day...
So, Flair is suing someone for claiming something that he, himself, admitted in his own book?
Yeah, that is what it looks like. I've never read his book, but pwtorch is a pretty reliable site.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #985 on: August 29, 2011, 05:01:41 PM »
 :-\

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #986 on: August 29, 2011, 06:04:42 PM »
I know you are all waiting for Mark Madden's opinion, so here it is.....

A Big House on the Big Side of Town by Mark Madden

I read the Grantland.com article on Ric Flair.

I don’t understand what all the outrage is about.

OK, so Flair outspends his income. How many Americans don’t? But he’s hardly “The Wrestler.” He’s not living in a trailer. He pays $3,683 per month rent. He’s not working independent shows for $50. He’s making over $250,000 per year working for Impact, and other significant income from endorsements. He’s been part of some questionable episodes. He’s also been swindled and stalked.

I don’t see how the Grantland.com article makes Flair a bad guy, or anything less than the greatest wrestler ever.

I bet his shoes still cost more than your house.

Wrestling is fraught with a host of malfeasance: Sexual harassment. PEDs. Recreational drugs. Frat-boy misbehavior that would shame “Animal House.” Cutthroat manipulation. Old-time stars that really are penniless. And a bunch of guys that dropped dead. It's always been the island of misfit toys.

Ric Flair is 62. He’s alive and, all things considered, in good health. He’s not in jail, or drug-addled. He still cuts promos with the best of them. He’s still an above-average in-ring performer. He still knows how to be RIC FLAIR.

So he’s had bad luck with women and money. That doesn’t exactly make him unique. Ric's got plenty of company there.

Ric’s had a great life. It’s still pretty good. He still gets to be RIC FLAIR.

Sometimes, perhaps, that’s part of the problem. But the pros far outweigh the cons.

Ric doesn’t need to be excoriated by wrestling fans. He needs wrestling fans to close ranks and support him. If that sounds like cheerleading, well – excuse me for being a fan, and a friend, of the greatest wrestler that’s ever lived.

Ric gave you countless hours of entertainment. Do you really care if he owes somebody money? You shouldn’t. Does getting drunk on an airplane dilute his legend one iota? It shouldn’t. Heck, he was just being RIC FLAIR.

I spoke with Ric Thursday night. The Grantland.com article never came up. Ric was excited about some things that he’ll for doing for Impact. The great ones look ahead in hope. Other people can look back in anger for them.

I can’t discount the general accuracy of the Grantland.com article. But it has an anti-Flair feel to it. His jump to WWF with the NWA belt – a belt he owned pending return of a deposit – was presented as a criminal act. It wasn’t Flair’s fault when he got stalked, or swindled.

I’m amazed at the IWC’s self-righteousness over the Grantland.com article. You’ll defend Matt and Jeff Hardy, a couple of big-time sleaze merchants who embarrass themselves and their profession. But if Ric Flair is past due on a few bills, you morph into the Moral Majority.

Doesn’t matter. At the end of the day, he’s still RIC FLAIR. If you don’t understand the magnitude of that, you’re not qualified to judge, anyway.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM, Pittsburgh, PA (105.9). Check out his web page at WXDX.com. Contact Mark by emailing wzmarkmadden@hotmail.com.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #987 on: August 29, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »
I know you are all waiting for Mark Madden's opinion, so here it is.....

A Big House on the Big Side of Town by Mark Madden

I read the Grantland.com article on Ric Flair.

I don’t understand what all the outrage is about.

OK, so Flair outspends his income. How many Americans don’t? But he’s hardly “The Wrestler.” He’s not living in a trailer. He pays $3,683 per month rent. He’s not working independent shows for $50. He’s making over $250,000 per year working for Impact, and other significant income from endorsements. He’s been part of some questionable episodes. He’s also been swindled and stalked.

I don’t see how the Grantland.com article makes Flair a bad guy, or anything less than the greatest wrestler ever.

I bet his shoes still cost more than your house.

Wrestling is fraught with a host of malfeasance: Sexual harassment. PEDs. Recreational drugs. Frat-boy misbehavior that would shame “Animal House.” Cutthroat manipulation. Old-time stars that really are penniless. And a bunch of guys that dropped dead. It's always been the island of misfit toys.

Ric Flair is 62. He’s alive and, all things considered, in good health. He’s not in jail, or drug-addled. He still cuts promos with the best of them. He’s still an above-average in-ring performer. He still knows how to be RIC FLAIR.

So he’s had bad luck with women and money. That doesn’t exactly make him unique. Ric's got plenty of company there.

Ric’s had a great life. It’s still pretty good. He still gets to be RIC FLAIR.

Sometimes, perhaps, that’s part of the problem. But the pros far outweigh the cons.

Ric doesn’t need to be excoriated by wrestling fans. He needs wrestling fans to close ranks and support him. If that sounds like cheerleading, well – excuse me for being a fan, and a friend, of the greatest wrestler that’s ever lived.

Ric gave you countless hours of entertainment. Do you really care if he owes somebody money? You shouldn’t. Does getting drunk on an airplane dilute his legend one iota? It shouldn’t. Heck, he was just being RIC FLAIR.

I spoke with Ric Thursday night. The Grantland.com article never came up. Ric was excited about some things that he’ll for doing for Impact. The great ones look ahead in hope. Other people can look back in anger for them.

I can’t discount the general accuracy of the Grantland.com article. But it has an anti-Flair feel to it. His jump to WWF with the NWA belt – a belt he owned pending return of a deposit – was presented as a criminal act. It wasn’t Flair’s fault when he got stalked, or swindled.

I’m amazed at the IWC’s self-righteousness over the Grantland.com article. You’ll defend Matt and Jeff Hardy, a couple of big-time sleaze merchants who embarrass themselves and their profession. But if Ric Flair is past due on a few bills, you morph into the Moral Majority.

Doesn’t matter. At the end of the day, he’s still RIC FLAIR. If you don’t understand the magnitude of that, you’re not qualified to judge, anyway.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM, Pittsburgh, PA (105.9). Check out his web page at WXDX.com. Contact Mark by emailing wzmarkmadden@hotmail.com.

Madden was a shitty color guy in WCW, but a lot of his online commentaries are spot-on.
This one is no exception.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #988 on: August 29, 2011, 07:37:12 PM »

Madden was a shitty color guy in WCW, but a lot of his online commentaries are spot-on.
This one is no exception.

I agree... This is absolutely 100 percent correct.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #989 on: August 31, 2011, 07:24:39 AM »
wrestlezone

During an appearance on the MMAWeekly Radio today, Kurt Angle discussed his role in the upcoming film "Warrior" and claimed he almost joined the UFC just a few months ago.

"I contacted (Dana White) again, I was thinking about dropping out of Impact Wrestling, and there were some personal problems with my marriage and I just wanted to get away and I contacted Dana White, I flew out, and he had me take the UFC physical. I passed it thank God, and he gave me the offer."

UFC President Dana White responded to the claim on Twitter stating, "Love Kurt, but not true."

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #990 on: August 31, 2011, 02:08:06 PM »
wrestlezone

During an appearance on the MMAWeekly Radio today, Kurt Angle discussed his role in the upcoming film "Warrior" and claimed he almost joined the UFC just a few months ago.

"I contacted (Dana White) again, I was thinking about dropping out of Impact Wrestling, and there were some personal problems with my marriage and I just wanted to get away and I contacted Dana White, I flew out, and he had me take the UFC physical. I passed it thank God, and he gave me the offer."

UFC President Dana White responded to the claim on Twitter stating, "Love Kurt, but not true."

Hmm...
That means that at least half of the people mentioned above are full of shit.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #991 on: September 02, 2011, 07:39:11 AM »
wrestlezone

After recently making his return to TNA TV, which will air next week, Jeff Hardy will also be returning to the road for TNA, taking part in house show events starting in September. Hardy is being advertised for shows in Rahway, NJ and Wilkes-Barre, PA. For more info you can go to Impactwrestlingtour.com.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #992 on: September 02, 2011, 07:44:07 AM »
The Wrestling Observer reports that The Ric Flair vs. Sting match originally scheduled for Nor Surrender will not be on the PPV on 9/11, but has been moved to the TV taping in Orlando on 9/12, for airing on 9/15.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #993 on: September 02, 2011, 12:34:23 PM »

Hmm...
That means that at least half of the people mentioned above are full of shit.
Who examined him? Dr. Nick?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #994 on: September 02, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »
Who examined him? Dr. Nick?

HI, EVERYBODY!!

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #995 on: September 08, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »
pwinsider

Jeff Hardy was sentenced today in a North Carolina courtroom to 10 days in jail, 30 months of probation and a $100,000 fine as part of a plea deal that will keep him out of prison. Hardy pleaded guilty to two counts of possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver a controlled substance and a single count of conspiracy to traffic in a substance containing opium, all felonies, pending from his September 11, 2009 arrest. The other counts against Hardy were dropped in return for the plea. Hardy has also agreed to remain in a drug abuse treatment program.

Hardy's lawyer requested that Jeff be allowed to travel outside of North Carolina to work for TNA. The request was granted.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #996 on: September 09, 2011, 08:03:07 AM »
pwinsider

Jeff Hardy was sentenced today in a North Carolina courtroom to 10 days in jail, 30 months of probation and a $100,000 fine as part of a plea deal that will keep him out of prison. Hardy pleaded guilty to two counts of possession of a controlled substance with intent to deliver a controlled substance and a single count of conspiracy to traffic in a substance containing opium, all felonies, pending from his September 11, 2009 arrest. The other counts against Hardy were dropped in return for the plea. Hardy has also agreed to remain in a drug abuse treatment program.

Hardy's lawyer requested that Jeff be allowed to travel outside of North Carolina to work for TNA. The request was granted.

So this turd is going to spend 10 days in jail for a "felony?"  Our court systems are a joke.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #997 on: September 10, 2011, 08:50:35 AM »
pwtorch

The Fayetteville Observer newspaper has reported more details on the resolution of Jeff Hardy's court case Thursday in North Carolina stemming from his September 2009 arrest.

-- Hardy would have been sentenced to 20-33 months in prison, but judge Joseph Turner suspended Hardy's prison sentence on the condition that Hardy attend an outpatient drug-counseling program and comply with the terms of his probation, which was set for 30 months.

-- Concerning Hardy's 10-day jail sentence established in the terms of Hardy's plea agreement, prosecutors sought an arrangement for Hardy to serve 30 days in jail, but the judge opted for ten days.

-- The wrestling fan who sent Hardy a supply of drugs in September 2009 was arrested in November 2010 on charges of conspiracy to traffic in opium and two counts of trafficking in opium. He is free on $50,000 bond. His next court date is in November 2011.

Hardy's defense attorney, James Van Camp, attempted to defend Hardy's drug addictions by claiming wrestling fans "want violence" and Hardy ravaged his body in order to provide entertainment, which fueled his addiction to cope with pain.

-- Van Camp claimed Hardy has tested negative for drugs since his arrest in September 2009. There was no indication of when subsequent testing took place or who administered the tests.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #998 on: September 12, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
No Surrender PPV results
pwtorch:

TNA World Hvt. champion Kurt Angle beat Sting and Mr. Anderson in the main event to retain the World Title. Angle was one of two champions to retain in four title matches on the PPV.

-- Robert Roode beat Bully Ray in a bonus "finals match" of the Bound for Glory Series. As a result, the first match is set for the Bound for Glory PPV in October is Angle vs. Roode for the TNA World Title.

-- Austin Aries beat X Division champion Brian Kendrick to capture the X Division Title. It's Aries's first X Division Title reign in TNA. Earlier in the show, Jesse Sorensen beat Kid Kash to become #1 contender to the X Division Title, setting up an Aries vs. Sorensen match on TV or PPV.

-- Winter beat Knockouts champion Mickie James to re-capture the Knockouts Title. It marks the third title change in the last month for the title.
-- TNA tag champions Mexican America beat "The Pope" D'Angelo Dinero & Brother Devon to retain the TNA Tag Titles.

-- Hulk Hogan appeared in a backstage segment early in the PPV, then interfered on Angle's behalf in the main event. Eric Bischoff made one appearance setting up the BFG Series bonus final match. Jeff Hardy was not mentioned or shown during the PPV.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #999 on: September 12, 2011, 12:17:37 PM »
wrestlezone

-- The Sting vs. Ric Flair match will be taped tonight to air this Thursday on IMPACT Wrestling.