Author Topic: Getting credit lines through banks  (Read 37722 times)

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
Re: Getting credit lines through banks
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2010, 08:49:29 AM »
THE BEEF can see both sides of the coin . . . it is his debt and he should honor it, however at this late date it has been ( most likely ) factored out at 10 cents on the dollar and written off by the company. However, big business, government and hustlers ( Madoff ) do this as a sole means of generating capital. It's all a big fucken game.

Take a look at the fat bastard Keith, ripped off Dave Palumbo for cash and stated on this board this board the promoter did not give him the funds to cover his checks. He had no problem ripping off individuals ( including THE BEEF for $100 bet he lost.) Assclowns like Keith are out there screwing everyone, so fuck it, but keep your nose clean from here on out son.

And THE BEEF still thinks Keith should be put in timeout until he makes good on his bet.

THE BEEF

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2011, 07:54:33 AM »
Capital One dredges up decade-old, charged-off debt
The bank says it was only complying with a new Fed rule when it billed a Hollywood couple for a $2,000 credit card balance it wrote off 10 years ago plus interest — a total of $5,195 — even though the statute of limitations has passed.
by David Lazarus

Frank Cavestani and his wife fell behind on their Capital One credit card payments about a decade ago. Their accounts were subsequently closed by the lender, which wrote off about $2,000 in debt they couldn't pay.

So it was more than a little strange when the Hollywood couple received a pair of bills from Cap One the other day for a combined $5,195.07 in debt and interest.

Stranger still, when Cavestani contacted Cap One, he said a service rep told him the resurrecting of old loans is accommodated by recent credit card regulations approved by the Federal Reserve — even though most states have a statute of limitations for how long credit card debt can be pursued by a lender.

In California's case, that statute of limitations is four years. Cavestani's debt dates back to 2000, which means Cap One can't sue him for failing to pay up.

"I thought at first this must be some sort of fraud," Cavestani, 58, told me. "I didn't see how Cap One could be saying I still owed them money."

Cavestani's situation serves as a warning to other consumers who might think they're free and clear of a debt but who suddenly find the ghosts of lenders past knocking at their door. It's important to know your rights.

Cap One spokeswoman Tatiana Stead essentially confirmed Cavestani's story.

She said Cap One was complying with Section 226.5(b)(2) of the Federal Reserve's Regulation Z, which requires lenders to send a statement for each billing cycle. But it stipulates that "a periodic statement need not be sent for an account if the creditor deems it uncollectable, or if delinquency collection proceedings have been instituted."

The regulation requires Cap One to send out statements for charged-off accounts, "regardless of whether we are still actively seeking to recover on the debt," Stead said.

You'd think a debt that's already been charged off by a lender sits squarely in the uncollectable pile. A charge-off, or write-off, basically means a lender is chalking up a nonpaying loan as a loss and moving it off its accounting books.

In any case, a credit card debt that surpasses a state's statute of limitations is, by definition, uncollectable. While the debt may still be valid, a lender can't sue to collect after the statute of limitations has passed.

What seems to be happening here is that Cap One is attempting to comply with a revision of the notification rule passed by the Fed last year. Card issuers are now required to send out statements for charged-off accounts if the issuer is still charging interest or fees for the account.

Cap One is apparently digging deep into its loan portfolio and ensuring that former customers remain on the hook, even if the company has no intention of actually going after the money.

Why? The only reason I can think of is that it may want to sell the old loans to a debt collector and then let the collector take a shot at squeezing some cash from consumers.

Good luck with that. Without the ability to sue, all a debt collector can do is ask, pretty please, for some money.

Or it can try to trick the unwary into thinking they have to make a payment, which is also what Cap One may be doing.

I spoke with a number of government officials in trying to get the lay of the land on this one. They all declined to comment on the record because they didn't know all the facts of the case. But each said it appeared that Cap One may be misleading consumers into thinking that money had to be paid when it didn't really.

The bills received by the Cavestanis clearly say "payment due" for each account and that the cash is "past due."

Cavestani said there's nothing ambiguous about this. "It means you have to pay them some money," he said.

Yet neither he nor his wife had received any other communication from Cap One for the 10 years since their accounts were closed — no bills, no notices, nothing.

Last year, Cavestani made a deliberate effort to pay off all outstanding debts by taking out a loan from a credit union and working with a counselor to get his finances in order. He hoped to rebuild his credit for an eventual home purchase.

Cavestani said he and the counselor went over his credit file line by line. There was nothing outstanding for Cap One.

In any case, while Cavestani acknowledged that financial difficulties caused him to miss months of payments a decade ago, he's not trying to be a deadbeat.

"If they want me to pay the original amount, I would do that," he said. "But they charged off the account and stopped sending me bills. I don't think I should now have to pay all that interest."

Cavestani wonders how many other people may also be receiving payment-due notices for loans they thought had been forgiven. "I'm sure this isn't happening only to me," he said.

If you get such a notice for any loan older than four years (that's for California; it may be different in other states), call the lender and explain how things really stand. Maybe it'll go away, maybe it won't.

But just because they say you have to cough up some money, that doesn't necessarily make it so.

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2011, 08:23:45 AM »
Lol so I've owed about $46 due outstanding physiotherapy for like two years now? So my credit is fucked for like 3 years :o
Shitty never had an issue with paying the bill simply moved alot, changed/lost phones several times. So I have no bill or anything, can't pay it at there office, and don't have a credit card. Still have no fucking clue how to pay it without using a credit card over the phone, or spending $300 just to pay it at there location.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2011, 08:28:25 AM »
Lol so I've owed about $46 due outstanding physiotherapy for like two years now? So my credit is fucked for like 3 years :o
Shitty never had an issue with paying the bill simply moved alot, changed/lost phones several times. So I have no bill or anything, can't pay it at there office, and don't have a credit card. Still have no fucking clue how to pay it without using a credit card over the phone, or spending $300 just to pay it at there location.
Good thing is you always have cockswallowin' to fall back on chief ... ;)
L

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2011, 08:38:03 AM »
Dude you make being cool so easy whats your secret?

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2011, 08:43:12 AM »
Dude you make being cool so easy whats your secret?
Not sucking dick for starters ...
L

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2011, 08:50:40 AM »

Great advice JJ...

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »

"You can build a thousand bridges..."

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2011, 08:59:03 AM »

"You can build a thousand bridges..."
Yes I can.

epic_alien

« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2011, 10:59:05 AM »
Bay-

I am actually a model employee. Good with apartments. My reasoning for not paying the old debts (and this may be flawed) is that they are quite old. Most are 4 years old at this point and from what I know, even if I pay them off right now I still will not see an improvement in my score for 2-3 years so why bother? After 7 years I can request they drop off anyway.  Since my creditors only cared if i was alive because they stood to profit from me, I likewise should not give them the time of day unless I stand to gain as well correct? If you told me that paying these things off today will benefit me greatly in the next 30-90 days I might consider. As for personal debts you will not find one single person I owe money to. A creditor and family member are not the same, neither is being a competant and valuable employee. Your logic is flawed to correlate a low score with being a shady unsavory person whom you would not trust.

why bother?

id like to be the bank when you came to me for money, id just say to your monkey ass, why bother.

lame ass broke dick chump

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
lål :D

i bet that lundgren regrets that he admitted he was a dicksucker :D

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2011, 04:05:27 PM »
why bother?

id like to be the bank when you came to me for money, id just say to your monkey ass, why bother.

lame ass broke dick chump

LOL! You will never be working in a bank or ever hold a real job. You have no education beyond high school and you're in your thirties still working in a gym. Oh brother.

The rest of your working life will be behind a counter checking in guys like Methyl Mike coming in for a workout and saving your pennies for your next cycle.

You will always be a lame ass broke dick chump.

epic_alien

« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2011, 01:52:10 PM »
all cock

Crossbow

• Getbig II
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »
Only reason to have and use a credit card is for transactional purposes - guarantee hotel reservations, book flights online, rental car deposits.

Some cards offer interbank currency exchange rates on items purchased abroad, which can be much better than what you would get in exchange bureaux.
Other cards offer useful insurance cover on items purchased, delayed or lost luggage, missed flight connections, etc.
Some cards allow you to use airport business class lounges for free, others give you cash back at the end of the year (such as 1% on everything spent) or air miles. Then there are cards that can provide you with a replacement card and emergency cash anywhere in the world, useful if you lose your wallet (or get robbed) abroad.
Just make sure that you get the card that is best for you.

The better your credit score, the more likely you get approved for a useful card that comes with benefits as the ones described above. If your credit score is shit, you can only get a shit card that rips you off with high interest rates and fees and doesn't offer anything extra.

No matter what kind of card you have always pay your balance in full before any interest is charged.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »
Jailed for $280: The Return of Debtors' Prisons
By Alain Sherter

How did breast cancer survivor Lisa Lindsay end up behind bars? She didn't pay a medical bill -- one the Herrin, Ill., teaching assistant was told she didn't owe. "She got a $280 medical bill in error and was told she didn't have to pay it," The Associated Press reports. "But the bill was turned over to a collection agency, and eventually state troopers showed up at her home and took her to jail in handcuffs."

Although the U.S. abolished debtors' prisons in the 1830s, more than a third of U.S. states allow the police to haul people in who don't pay all manner of debts, from bills for health care services to credit card and auto loans. In parts of Illinois, debt collectors commonly use publicly funded courts, sheriff's deputies, and country jails to pressure people who owe even small amounts to pay up, according to the AP.

Under the law, debtors aren't arrested for nonpayment, but rather for failing to respond to court hearings, pay legal fines, or otherwise showing "contempt of court" in connection with a creditor lawsuit. That loophole has lawmakers in the Illinois House of Representatives concerned enough to pass a bill in March that would make it illegal to send residents of the state to jail if they can't pay a debt. The measure awaits action in the senate.

"Creditors have been manipulating the court system to extract money from the unemployed, veterans, even seniors who rely solely on their benefits to get by each month," Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan said last month in a statement voicing support for the legislation. "Too many people have been thrown in jail simply because they're too poor to pay their debts. We cannot allow these illegal abuses to continue."

Debt collectors typically avoid filing suit against debtors, a representative with the Illinois Collectors Association tells the AP. "A consumer that has been arrested or jailed can't pay a debt. We want to work with consumers to resolve issues," he said.

Yet Illinois isn't the only state where residents get locked up for owing money. A 2010 report by the American Civil Liberties Union that focused on only five states -- Georgia, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Washington -- found that people were being jailed at "increasingly alarming rates" over legal debts. Cases ranged from a woman who was arrested four separate times for failing to pay $251 in fines and court costs related to a fourth-degree misdemeanor conviction, to a mentally ill juvenile jailed by a judge over a previous conviction for stealing school supplies.

According to the ACLU: "The sad truth is that debtors' prisons are flourishing today, more than two decades after the Supreme Court prohibited imprisoning those who are too poor to pay their legal debts. In this era of shrinking budgets, state and local governments have turned aggressively to using the threat and reality of imprisonment to squeeze revenue out of the poorest defendants who appear in their courts."

Some states also apply "poverty penalties," including late fees, payment plan fees, and interest when people are unable to pay all their debts at once, according to a report by the New York University's Brennan Center for Justice. Alabama charges a 30 percent collection fee, for instance, while Florida allows private debt collectors to add a 40 percent surcharge on the original debt. Some Florida counties also use so-called collection courts, where debtors can be jailed but have no right to a public defender.

"Many states are imposing new and often onerous 'user fees' on individuals with criminal convictions," the authors of the Brennan Center report wrote. "Yet far from being easy money, these fees impose severe -- and often hidden -- costs on communities, taxpayers, and indigent people convicted of crimes. They create new paths to prison for those unable to pay their debts and make it harder to find employment and housing as well to meet child-support obligations."

Such practices, heightened in recent years by the effects of the recession, amount to criminalizing poverty, say critics in urging federal authorities to intervene. "More people are unemployed, more people are struggling financially, and more creditors are trying to get their debt paid," Madigan told the AP.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2012, 11:10:22 AM »
This is the thread that broke Methyl Mike's account. He's been silent lately. Maybe he went to Greece to help restructure their debts with his savvy financial insight?      ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »
This is the thread that broke Methyl Mike's account. He's been silent lately. Maybe he went to Greece to help restructure their debts with his savvy financial insight?      ;D

Methyl Mike no longer exists.  People credit me for his destruction, but the truth is, he owned himself out of existence.  I just happen to witness it.  8)

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2012, 11:18:54 AM »
Methyl Mike no longer exists.  People credit me for his destruction, but the truth is, he owned himself out of existence.  I just happen to witness it.  8)
Perhaps. I think you're being overly-modest. You kept handing him rope, and he kept hanging himself.  ;D

apply85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2012, 11:28:35 AM »
this thread is a good example of what the fuck is wrong wit americans these days

they're fucking crazy

mike thinks he can ignore debt because he comes up woth soem kind of logic like the debt is too old, what he doesn't realize is whether he can ignore them or not is a function of what recourse the credit companies have to collect the debt, not what stupid ideas are bubblign around in his stupid head

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2012, 11:38:19 AM »
Perhaps. I think you're being overly-modest. You kept handing him rope, and he kept hanging himself.  ;D

"I am its deliverer; I am its witness."  ;D

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2012, 11:41:42 AM »
this thread is a good example of what the fuck is wrong wit americans these days

they're fucking crazy

mike thinks he can ignore debt because he comes up woth soem kind of logic like the debt is too old, what he doesn't realize is whether he can ignore them or not is a function of what recourse the credit companies have to collect the debt, not what stupid ideas are bubblign around in his stupid head

I am sorry but I have MORALS...

I hate it here. Is Texas the answer?

This never gets old.  :D

randy841

• Getbig III
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »
Clearly you have never heard of Dave Ramsey. 

Also the bible states the "borrower is slave to the lender."  Anyone would be wise to stay away from any and all debt. 

Who gives a flying **** what some text in the Bible says or any religious text for that matter. Unless one really is at cross roads and has fallen in hard times, pay back the same way you borrowed.

Let's no go down this holier than thou road bull crap.

randy841

• Getbig III
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »
It is very well possible to start a business without ever being in debt.

Yes, a lemonade stand in your logic.

Every small and larger corporation is billions in debt. That is how they got to the status where they are. Some just use the debt wiser than others like any consumer.

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2012, 02:31:14 PM »
Yes, a lemonade stand in your logic.

Every small and larger corporation is billions in debt. That is how they got to the status where they are. Some just use the debt wiser than others like any consumer.

I'm not talking about lemonade stands and I have first hand experience.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »
Ok so my score is about 600 right now. Have some stuff in collections which I doubt i will pay (its all pretty old). I have 1-2k i can afford to use for these credit cards. Advice? I currently have one cc with (dont laugh) a $300 limit which I have totally paid off. I wanted to buy a new car, but I'm not sure what to do really.

It is thinking like yours that causes so many problems. Why are you not paying off the debts in collection? No matter how old they are, to not pay them is a form of theft. With this kind of attitude about your obligatiions, you'll probably never have good credit....at least you don't deserve to.