Author Topic: Patriot Act  (Read 1045 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Patriot Act
« on: December 17, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »
Would like to know how many of you know what the acronym P.A.T.R.I.O.T Act stands for? This has been thrown in to the face of americans and people/countries around the world and yet no one knows what it means.
C

regmac

• Getbig V
Re: Patriot Act
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 08:16:11 PM »
It means the Gov.t is trying to ensure safty amongst all of us.  SOme are being overlooked due to race and nationality which makes it controverial,  but I support it.   I can sleep at night with no fear we'll be bombed.   Not many citizens in other countris can do that. 
((-::

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:31:43 PM »
It stands for, "we have to come up with laws to justify what we've been doing already forever."  They're just lousy at acronyms ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 08:32:51 PM »
It means the Gov.t is trying to ensure safty amongst all of us.  SOme are being overlooked due to race and nationality which makes it controverial,  but I support it.   I can sleep at night with no fear we'll be bombed.   Not many citizens in other countris can do that. 
hahahahahahaha

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 08:34:18 PM »
That is pretty funny.   :D

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 08:43:57 PM »
Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act.

Hugo is right about making laws to justify what has been done for years, Some parts of the patriot act are so unconstitutional I don't know how they get away with it. Well actually I do the government just makes up the rules as they go along, For the most part the Patriot Act is an abomination. The thing I find strange is all the dems were up in arms about it, but haven't done anything to get rid of it. Guess its only bad when Bush does it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »
Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act.

Hugo is right about making laws to justify what has been done for years, Some parts of the patriot act are so unconstitutional I don't know how they get away with it. Well actually I do the government just makes up the rules as they go along, For the most part the Patriot Act is an abomination. The thing I find strange is all the dems were up in arms about it, but haven't done anything to get rid of it. Guess its only bad when Bush does it.
Like the late Tony Montana said when Manny complained about how much they were spending on counter serveilance equipment, "I dont give a fuck   I  like sleeping good at night,   you worry about it."

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 08:47:53 PM »
Like the late Tony Montana said when Manny complained about how much they were spending on counter serveilance equipment, "I dont give a fuck   I  like sleeping good at night,   you worry about it."

Yeah, that ended well for Tony.   ;D

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 08:51:01 PM »

Well the problem is that there are alot of gray areas, gives government way to much power. The way the damn thing is written you or I could get vanished for something that would be deemed "terrorism"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 08:53:55 PM »
Well the problem is that there are alot of gray areas, gives government way to much power. The way the damn thing is written you or I could get vanished for something that would be deemed "terrorism"
Buddy    I work for the  Fed Govt.   EVERYTHING I do is watched ....even taped....do I care?  No   I walk straight.  I hate TSA in the airport like everyone else but 911 opened our eyes that there are those out there jealous of our freedom and try every way possible to take it away from us.   

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »
Buddy    I work for the  Fed Govt.   EVERYTHING I do is watched ....even taped....do I care?  No   I walk straight.  I hate TSA in the airport like everyone else but 911 opened our eyes that there are those out there jealous of our freedom and try every way possible to take it away from us.   

what I do not like is that they can bust you on something not related to terrorism only because you were getting monitored.  Let's say you paid for a hooker, smoked some weed, or whatever else.  They will charge you with that shit even though no one would have ever known unless you were being monitored.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 12:00:44 AM »

Ah yes--the old "you-have-nothing-to-worry-about-if-you-have-nothing-to-hide" deal.

The Patriot Act is treasonous toilet stationery. Next subject.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 07:08:52 AM »
  Ah yes--the old "you-have-nothing-to-worry-about-if-you-have-nothing-to-hide" deal.

The Patriot Act is treasonous toilet stationery. Next subject.

YES
S

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 08:28:07 AM »
what I do not like is that they can bust you on something not related to terrorism only because you were getting monitored.  Let's say you paid for a hooker, smoked some weed, or whatever else.  They will charge you with that shit even though no one would have ever known unless you were being monitored.
from what i understand the patriot act only pertains to actions that relate to terrorism...

they cannot arrest you at least not right now anyway Im sure it will go that way for things not related to terrorism under the patriot act.

and WHO CARES WHAT IS STANDS FOR? only thing that matters is what it allows the govt to do

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 08:44:49 AM »
I have ZERO respect for any so called Americans who support the government infringing on our freedom in any way, shape or form...

>:( >:( >:(
S

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 09:42:57 AM »

Unfortunately it's been a back burner issue as of late.  With the economy in tatters, the health care debate domianting headlines and now climate change it's just not an issue right now.  I hate to say it but that's the truth.  I hate it as much as anyone but from a politcal standpoint it's going to be hard to get rid of it and here's why -

Say you abolish the patriot act then a terrorist attack occurs what do you think will be the one thing people believe (may not be true but still) would have led to that attack not being intercepted? The patriot act being abolished.  It would be political suicide and allow the other party to dominate for years to come on the 'we will keep you safe they won't' mantra.  Similar to tactics Bush used during his re-election campaign. 
Abandon every hope...

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 02:38:48 PM »
I never break the law....so I would never have to go through that.    :P   I fly straight.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 02:41:32 PM »
I have ZERO respect for any so called Americans who support the government infringing on our freedom in any way, shape or form...

>:( >:( >:(
Maybe you should avoid living anywhere between Seattle and Miami Beach!!!!   Better yet move to the middle east if you'd feel safer from the US!!!!!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 05:15:56 PM »
 ::)

Everyone here who made a post knocking the Patriot Act except Hugo is so misinformed its laughable.

The Patriot Act does absolutely nothing the government hasn't been allowed to do for more than three decades in the investigation of espionage and high level drug trafficking.

Personally, I find terrorism more important than stopping the flow of drugs into this country-- but that's just me.

And FYI the Patriot Act makes information sharing across governmental bodies ( CIA- FBI- NSA- Homeland Security Etc.) easier by reducing the bureaucratic redtape. For all of you who don't remember, 911 was a successful operation despite the fact that most of the hijackers were already on the FBI's radar because of mind numbingly inefficient government policies.

The MAIN thing the Patriot Act has done besides the aforementioned, is that it has reduced the burden the government has to demonstrate before using  FISA [ Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act]. Prior to the Patriot Act the government could not use FISA unless the primary purpose of it's investigation was to gather intelligence (no criminal investigations). Now, intelligence gathering only needs to be a significant/ substantial purpose [ criminal investigations can also be executed under FISA as long as a substantial purpose is intelligence gathering]. 

I have literally posted this information dozens of times on this board. Nobody pays attention regardless of their political beliefs.

So, again, there it is.

Hope this helps (again).

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 06:56:07 PM »
oh boy... you're just full of funnies today. 

He's definitely the idiot of the day!
S

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 07:16:58 PM »
Would like to know how many of you know what the acronym P.A.T.R.I.O.T Act stands for? This has been thrown in to the face of americans and people/countries around the world and yet no one knows what it means.

Posters
Against
Tolerating
Retards and
Idiots
On
Threads

I formed the group shortly after reading threads by you and Jag.  But, like the Rothschilds, you've managed to penetrate my secret society.  Kudos to your skillz...

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 07:19:23 PM »

Everyone here who made a post knocking the Patriot Act except Hugo is so misinformed its laughable.

The Patriot Act does absolutely nothing the government hasn't been allowed to do for more than three decades in the investigation of espionage and high level drug trafficking.

Personally, I find terrorism more important than stopping the flow of drugs into this country-- but that's just me.

And FYI the Patriot Act makes information sharing across governmental bodies ( CIA- FBI- NSA- Homeland Security Etc.) easier by reducing the bureaucratic redtape. For all of you who don't remember, 911 was a successful operation despite the fact that most of the hijackers were already on the FBI's radar because of mind numbingly inefficient government policies.

The MAIN thing the Patriot Act has done besides the aforementioned, is that it has reduced the burden the government has to demonstrate before using  FISA [ Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act]. Prior to the Patriot Act the government could not use FISA unless the primary purpose of it's investigation was to gather intelligence (no criminal investigations). Now, intelligence gathering only needs to be a significant/ substantial purpose [ criminal investigations can also be executed under FISA as long as a substantial purpose is intelligence gathering]. 

I have literally posted this information dozens of times on this board. Nobody pays attention regardless of their political beliefs.

So, again, there it is.

Hope this helps (again).

I don't really think it's that cut and dry.

The 2 main problems that I hear most complaints about are indefinite detentions (not allowable prior to the act as far as I know - but I'm not an attorney), and the NSL's.

It expanded the use of NSL's to the point where even the Pentagon has issued them and allows for their issue even for people who are not even suspects of a crime.  And no judge is required to review the matter.  So, even though NSL's were around previously, the act gave them some real teeth and, consequently, a real infringement on our civil liberties.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 07:30:02 PM »

So, again, there it is.

Hope this helps (again).

Ever hear of the Fourth Amendment?  ???
S