Author Topic: Change Nobody Believes In Anymore. (Best Article on HCR in awhile)  (Read 896 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Change Nobody Believes In
www.wsj.com
________________________ ________________________ _____

A bill so reckless that it has to be rammed through on a partisan vote on Christmas eve.Article Comments (194) more in Opinion »Email

And tidings of comfort and joy from Harry Reid too. The Senate Majority Leader has decided that the last few days before Christmas are the opportune moment for a narrow majority of Democrats to stuff ObamaCare through the Senate to meet an arbitrary White House deadline. Barring some extraordinary reversal, it now seems as if they have the 60 votes they need to jump off this cliff, with one-seventh of the economy in tow.

Mr. Obama promised a new era of transparent good government, yet on Saturday morning Mr. Reid threw out the 2,100-page bill that the world's greatest deliberative body spent just 17 days debating and replaced it with a new "manager's amendment" that was stapled together in covert partisan negotiations. Democrats are barely even bothering to pretend to care what's in it, not that any Senator had the chance to digest it in the 38 hours before the first cloture vote at 1 a.m. this morning. After procedural motions that allow for no amendments, the final vote could come at 9 p.m. on December 24.

Even in World War I there was a Christmas truce.

The rushed, secretive way that a bill this destructive and unpopular is being forced on the country shows that "reform" has devolved into the raw exercise of political power for the single purpose of permanently expanding the American entitlement state. An increasing roll of leaders in health care and business are looking on aghast at a bill that is so large and convoluted that no one can truly understand it, as Finance Chairman Max Baucus admitted on the floor last week. The only goal is to ram it into law while the political window is still open, and clean up the mess later.

• Health costs. From the outset, the White House's core claim was that reform would reduce health costs for individuals and businesses, and they're sticking to that story. "Anyone who says otherwise simply hasn't read the bills," Mr. Obama said over the weekend. This is so utterly disingenuous that we doubt the President really believes it.

The best and most rigorous cost analysis was recently released by the insurer WellPoint, which mined its actuarial data in various regional markets to model the Senate bill. WellPoint found that a healthy 25-year-old in Milwaukee buying coverage on the individual market will see his costs rise by 178%. A small business based in Richmond with eight employees in average health will see a 23% increase. Insurance costs for a 40-year-old family with two kids living in Indianapolis will pay 106% more. And on and on.

These increases are solely the result of ObamaCare—above and far beyond the status quo—because its strict restrictions on underwriting and risk-pooling would distort insurance markets. All but a handful of states have rejected regulations like "community rating" because they encourage younger and healthier buyers to wait until they need expensive care, increasing costs for everyone. Benefits and pricing will now be determined by politics.

As for the White House's line about cutting costs by eliminating supposed "waste," even Victor Fuchs, an eminent economist generally supportive of ObamaCare, warned last week that these political theories are overly simplistic. "The oft-heard promise 'we will find out what works and what does not' scarcely does justice to the complexity of medical practice," the Stanford professor wrote.

• Steep declines in choice and quality. This is all of a piece with the hubris of an Administration that thinks it can substitute government planning for market forces in determining where the $33 trillion the U.S. will spend on medicine over the next decade should go.

This centralized system means above all fewer choices; what works for the political class must work for everyone. With formerly private insurers converted into public utilities, for instance, they'll inevitably be banned from selling products like health savings accounts that encourage more cost-conscious decisions.

Unnoticed by the press corps, the Congressional Budget Office argued recently that the Senate bill would so "substantially reduce flexibility in terms of the types, prices, and number of private sellers of health insurance" that companies like WellPoint might need to "be considered part of the federal budget."

With so large a chunk of the economy and medical practice itself in Washington's hands, quality will decline. Ultimately, "our capacity to innovate and develop new therapies would suffer most of all," as Harvard Medical School Dean Jeffrey Flier recently wrote in our pages. Take the $2 billion annual tax—rising to $3 billion in 2018—that will be leveled against medical device makers, among the most innovative U.S. industries. Democrats believe that more advanced health technologies like MRI machines and drug-coated stents are driving costs too high, though patients and their physicians might disagree.

"The Senate isn't hearing those of us who are closest to the patient and work in the system every day," Brent Eastman, the chairman of the American College of Surgeons, said in a statement for his organization and 18 other speciality societies opposing ObamaCare. For no other reason than ideological animus, doctor-owned hospitals will face harsh new limits on their growth and who they're allowed to treat. Physician Hospitals of America says that ObamaCare will "destroy over 200 of America's best and safest hospitals."

• Blowing up the federal fisc. Even though Medicare's unfunded liabilities are already about 2.6 times larger than the entire U.S. economy in 2008, Democrats are crowing that ObamaCare will cost "only" $871 billion over the next decade while fantastically reducing the deficit by $132 billion, according to CBO.

Yet some 98% of the total cost comes after 2014—remind us why there must absolutely be a vote this week—and most of the taxes start in 2010. That includes the payroll tax increase for individuals earning more than $200,000 that rose to 0.9 from 0.5 percentage points in Mr. Reid's final machinations. Job creation, here we come.

Other deceptions include a new entitlement for long-term care that starts collecting premiums tomorrow but doesn't start paying benefits until late in the decade. But the worst is not accounting for a formula that automatically slashes Medicare payments to doctors by 21.5% next year and deeper after that. Everyone knows the payment cuts won't happen but they remain in the bill to make the cost look lower. The American Medical Association's priority was eliminating this "sustainable growth rate" but all they got in return for their year of ObamaCare cheerleading was a two-month patch snuck into the defense bill that passed over the weekend.

The truth is that no one really knows how much ObamaCare will cost because its assumptions on paper are so unrealistic. To hide the cost increases created by other parts of the bill and transfer them onto the federal balance sheet, the Senate sets up government-run "exchanges" that will subsidize insurance for those earning up to 400% of the poverty level, or $96,000 for a family of four in 2016. Supposedly they would only be offered to those whose employers don't provide insurance or work for small businesses.

As Eugene Steuerle of the left-leaning Urban Institute points out, this system would treat two workers with the same total compensation—whatever the mix of cash wages and benefits—very differently. Under the Senate bill, someone who earned $42,000 would get $5,749 from the current tax exclusion for employer-sponsored coverage but $12,750 in the exchange. A worker making $60,000 would get $8,310 in the exchanges but only $3,758 in the current system.

For this reason Mr. Steuerle concludes that the Senate bill is not just a new health system but also "a new welfare and tax system" that will warp the labor market. Given the incentives of these two-tier subsidies, employers with large numbers of lower-wage workers like Wal-Mart may well convert them into "contractors" or do more outsourcing. As more and more people flood into "free" health care, taxpayer costs will explode.

• Political intimidation. The experts who have pointed out such complications have been ignored or dismissed as "ideologues" by the White House. Those parts of the health-care industry that couldn't be bribed outright, like Big Pharma, were coerced into acceding to this agenda. The White House was able to, er, persuade the likes of the AMA and the hospital lobbies because the federal government will control 55% of total U.S. health spending under ObamaCare, according to the Administration's own Medicare actuaries.

Sen. Ben Nelson

Others got hush money, namely Nebraska's Ben Nelson. Even liberal Governors have been howling for months about ObamaCare's unfunded spending mandates: Other budget priorities like education will be crowded out when about 21% of the U.S. population is on Medicaid, the joint state-federal program intended for the poor. Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman calculates that ObamaCare will result in $2.5 billion in new costs for his state that "will be passed on to citizens through direct or indirect taxes and fees," as he put it in a letter to his state's junior Senator.

So in addition to abortion restrictions, Mr. Nelson won the concession that Congress will pay for 100% of Nebraska Medicaid expansions into perpetuity. His capitulation ought to cost him his political career, but more to the point, what about the other states that don't have a Senator who's the 60th vote for ObamaCare?

"After a nearly century-long struggle we are on the cusp of making health-care reform a reality in the United States of America," Mr. Obama said on Saturday. He's forced to claim the mandate of "history" because he can't claim the mandate of voters. Some 51% of the public is now opposed, according to National Journal's composite of all health polling. The more people know about ObamaCare, the more unpopular it becomes.

The tragedy is that Mr. Obama inherited a consensus that the health-care status quo needs serious reform, and a popular President might have crafted a durable compromise that blended the best ideas from both parties. A more honest and more thoughtful approach might have even done some good. But as Mr. Obama suggested, the Democratic old guard sees this plan as the culmination of 20th-century liberalism.

So instead we have this vast expansion of federal control. Never in our memory has so unpopular a bill been on the verge of passing Congress, never has social and economic legislation of this magnitude been forced through on a purely partisan vote, and never has a party exhibited more sheer political willfulness that is reckless even for Washington or had more warning about the consequences of its actions.

These 60 Democrats are creating a future of epic increases in spending, taxes and command-and-control regulation, in which bureaucracy trumps innovation and transfer payments are more important than private investment and individual decisions. In short, the Obama Democrats have chosen change nobody believes in—outside of themselves—and when it passes America will be paying for it for decades to come.

________________________ ________________________ _________________

Bang.  Best article I have read yet. 

Anyone still want to support this mess? 

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
Re: Change Nobody Believes In Anymore. (Best Article on HCR in awhile)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 06:04:39 AM »
My understanding was always that Doctors get paid too much - that is why health insurance is expensive - oh and I'm not convinced that these health insurers are not padding their costs. The only way to bring down costs is to have a public option to compete with the private insurance and have regulation so that competition works properly and there is no collusion, you also need to control the cost of care by controlling the wage of physicians (dare I say it - socialized medicine).

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:05:46 AM »
people dont seem to realize how bad the quality of health care will become,  just imagine the worst ghetto, or 3rd world country you have ever seen on t.v. and then put a small county hospital right in the middle and a free health clinic, you will have to wait 5 days just to get stitches,

and the fact that people still support this admin after they go to the measures of buying people off and personaly attacking peoples wifes is simply astonoshing

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 06:24:24 AM »
My understanding was always that Doctors get paid too much - that is why health insurance is expensive - oh and I'm not convinced that these health insurers are not padding their costs. The only way to bring down costs is to have a public option to compete with the private insurance and have regulation so that competition works properly and there is no collusion, you also need to control the cost of care by controlling the wage of physicians (dare I say it - socialized medicine).

This bill is the worst of all things GCB.  Its a massive giveway to insurers, massive giveaway to drug companies, no tort reform, no cost control, nothing. 

I'm serious, this is probably the worst bill I have ever seen in my life.     

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 07:58:21 AM »

So now,libs will determine what doctors can make.Lets see,go to school for 12 years to be dictated how much money you can make.How about this,lets cut the pay of the filthy scum bags in the senate and congress instead.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:01:43 AM »
So now,libs will determine what doctors can make.Lets see,go to school for 12 years to be dictated how much money you can make.How about this,lets cut the pay of the filthy scum bags in the senate and congress instead.

No tort reform, no cost control, no choice, etc. 

I thought the liberals are supposed to be "Pro Choice"

I guess not.  Other than killing babies, they want no choice for anything and regulation and command and control over every area of everyones' life. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:57 AM »
No tort reform, no cost control, no choice, etc. 

I thought the liberals are supposed to be "Pro Choice"

I guess not.  Other than killing babies, they want no choice for anything and regulation and command and control over every area of everyones' life. 

Everyones life except fellow congressman and senators.They are above the rest of us.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 09:08:15 AM »
333 must you continue to post basically the same thing? Not one person on this board (as far as i'm aware) is in support of the current health care bill.  I've posted about this last week, it's been in multiple threads.  Surely you can just add onto those threads instead of clogging it up with more of the same. 

You keep asking the rhetorical question of 'does anyone support this' it's been pretty resounding that it's a no.  On this board anyway so can we please start new threads for new topics and post articles like this one in the threads already discussing this topic.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 09:09:51 AM »
333 must you continue to post basically the same thing? Not one person on this board (as far as i'm aware) is in support of the current health care bill.  I've posted about this last week, it's been in multiple threads.  Surely you can just add onto those threads instead of clogging it up with more of the same. 

You keep asking the rhetorical question of 'does anyone support this' it's been pretty resounding that it's a no.  On this board anyway so can we please start new threads for new topics and post articles like this one in the threads already discussing this topic.

I learned alot of new details in this article I did not before.  Hopefully you did too.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 09:21:29 AM »
I learned alot of new details in this article I did not before.  Hopefully you did too.   

Of course it was a more indepth look at it with real world examples. But honestly 333 we are all in opposition and new threads just clog up the board, i think it should have been posted in the existing threads on this topic which would have bumped it anyway.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 09:23:13 AM »
Of course it was a more indepth look at it with real world examples. But honestly 333 we are all in opposition and new threads just clog up the board, i think it should have been posted in the existing threads on this topic which would have bumped it anyway.

You have no idea how bad this is and to complain about an extra few threads on this is ridculous in porportion to how far reaching and suck-ass this entire thing is. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 11:28:28 AM »
Another gem I found
________________________ __________________

December 21, 2009
A Parody of Leadership
By Robert Samuelson

WASHINGTON -- Barack Obama's quest for historic health care legislation has turned into a parody of leadership. We usually associate presidential leadership with the pursuit of goals that, though initially unpopular, serve America's long-term interests. Obama has reversed this. He's championing increasingly unpopular legislation that threatens the country's long-term interests. "This isn't about me," he likes to say, "I have great health insurance." But of course, it is about him: about the legacy he covets as the president who achieved "universal" health insurance. He'll be disappointed.

Even if Congress passes legislation -- a good bet -- the finished product will fall far short of Obama's extravagant promises. It will not cover everyone. It will not control costs. It will worsen the budget outlook. It will lead to higher taxes. It will disrupt how, or whether, companies provide insurance for their workers. As the real-life (as opposed to rhetorical) consequences unfold, they will rebut Obama's claim that he has "solved" the health care problem. His reputation will suffer.

It already has. Despite Obama's eloquence and command of the airwaves, public suspicions are rising. In April, 57 percent of Americans approved of his "handling of health care" and 29 percent disapproved, reports The Washington Post-ABC News poll; in the latest survey, 44 percent approved and 53 percent disapproved. About half worried that their care would deteriorate and that health costs would rise.

These fears are well-grounded. The various health care proposals represent atrocious legislation. To be sure, they would provide insurance to 30 million or more Americans by 2019. People would enjoy more security. But even these gains must be qualified. Some of the newly insured will get healthier, but how many and by how much is unclear. The uninsured now receive 50 percent to 70 percent as much care as the insured. The administration argues that today's system has massive waste. If so, greater participation in the waste by the newly insured may not make them much better off.

The remaining uninsured may also exceed estimates. Under the Senate bill, they would total 24 million in 2019, reckons Richard Foster, chief actuary of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. But a wild card is immigration. From 1999 to 2008, about 60 percent of the increase in the uninsured occurred among Hispanics. That was related to immigrants and their children (many American born). Most illegal immigrants aren't covered by Obama's proposal. If we don't curb immigration of the poor and unskilled -- people who can't afford insurance -- Obama's program will be less effective and more expensive than estimated. Hardly anyone mentions immigrants' impact, because it seems insensitive.

Meanwhile, the health care proposals would impose massive costs. Remember: The country already faces huge increases in federal spending and taxes or deficits because an aging population will receive more Social Security and Medicare. Projections made by the Congressional Budget Office in 2007 suggested federal spending might rise almost 50 percent by 2030 as a share of the economy (gross domestic product). Since that estimate, the recession and massive deficits have further bloated the national debt.

Obama's plan might add almost another $1 trillion in spending over a decade -- and more later. Even if this is fully covered, as Obama contends, by higher taxes and cuts in Medicare reimbursements, these revenues could have been used to cut the existing deficits. But the odds are that the new spending isn't fully covered, because Congress might reverse some Medicare reductions before they take effect. Projected savings seem "unrealistic," says Foster. Similarly, the legislation creates a voluntary long-term care insurance program that's supposedly paid by private premiums. Foster calls it "unsustainable," suggesting a need for big federal subsidies.

Obama's overhaul would also change how private firms insure workers. Perhaps 18 million workers could lose coverage and 16 million gain it, as companies adapt to new regulations and subsidies, estimates The Lewin Group, a consulting firm. Private insurers argue that premiums in the individual and small group markets, where many workers would end up, might rise an extra 25 percent to 50 percent over a decade. The administration and the Congressional Budget Office disagree. The dispute underlines the bills' immense uncertainties. As for cost control, even generous estimates have health spending growing faster than the economy. Changing that is the first imperative of sensible policy.

So Obama's plan amounts to this: partial coverage of the uninsured; modest improvements (possibly) in their health; sizable budgetary costs worsening a bleak outlook; significant, unpredictable changes in insurance markets; weak spending control. This is a bad bargain. Benefits are overstated, costs understated. This legislation is a monstrosity; the country would be worse for its passage. What it's become is an exercise in political symbolism: Obama's self-indulgent crusade to seize the liberal holy grail of "universal coverage." What it's not is leadership.

Copyright 2009, Washington Post Writers Group

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 05:37:41 PM »

Well if your not happy when unions demand pay rises - this is the same thing in a way.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 05:38:15 PM »

How does this differ from the current situation with insurance company bureaucrats & pencil pushers determining what doctors will make? ...or even worse... what treatments patients will receive?
w

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 07:20:04 AM »
How does this differ from the current situation with insurance company bureaucrats & pencil pushers determining what doctors will make? ...or even worse... what treatments patients will receive?

why don't you tell us jag...is not canada the same way?
footloose and fancy free