Author Topic: God is  (Read 6691 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: God is
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 03:56:27 PM »

Well... let me put this way. I don't need a book that was write a long time ago, to tell me what is wright or what is wrong.

Or to tell me to be a good person.and most of the laws write  in that book are very contradicted.

For example: you believe in God but worships another one.

* Commandments 1 and 2.

Ps: sorry about my English.

GRACIE, no worries about your English, I think you do quite well...if I get confused I will ask  :)

Are you saying that you think that these 2 verses contradict each other?  If so, how?

Exodus 20

3 "You shall have no other gods before me.

4"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them....

If that is what you are saying, can you tell me why you think they contradict?  If that's not what you meant, sorry, can you please explain more for me?

And thanks for those lyrics, I'll check them out closer tomorrow!
R

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 04:40:46 PM »
che, do you ever think of God when you see good things happen or just the bad things?

I don't believe in God

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 05:06:58 PM »
Biblical contradictions
Written by Dan Barker
This particular list was taken from an extract from Losing Faith In Faith: From Preacher to Atheist  | source

Should we kill?

Exodus 20:13 "Thou shalt not kill."
Leviticus 24:17 "And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death."
vs

Exodus 32:27 "Thus sayeth the Lord God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, . . . and slay every man his brother, . . . companion, . . . neighbor."
I Samuel 6:19 " . . . and the people lamented because the Lord had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter."
I Samuel 15:2,3,7,8 "Thus saith the Lord . . . Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass. . . . And Saul smote the Amalekites . . . and utterly destroyed all the people with the edge of the sword."
Numbers 15:36 "And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses."
Hosea 13:16 "they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with children shall be ripped up."
For a discussion of the defense that the Commandments prohibit only murder, see "Murder, He Wrote", chapter 27 (Losing Faith In Faith: From Preacher To Atheist).

Should we tell lies?

Exodus 20:16 "Thou shalt not bear false witness."
Proverbs 12:22 "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord."
vs

I Kings 22:23 "The Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee."
II Thessalonians 2:11 "And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie."
Also, compare Joshua 2:4-6 with James 2:25.

Should we steal?

Exodus 20:15 "Thou shalt not steal."
Leviticus 19:13 "Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbor, neither rob him."
vs

Exodus 3:22 "And ye shall spoil the Egyptians."
Exodus 12:35-36 "And they spoiled [plundered, NRSV] the Egyptians."
Luke 19:29-34 "[Jesus] sent two of his disciples, Saying, Go ye into the village . . . ye shall find a colt tied, whereon yet never man sat: loose him, and bring him hither. And if any man ask you, Why do ye loose him? thus shall ye say unto him, Because the Lord hath need of him. . . . And as they were loosing the colt, the owners thereof said unto them, Why loose ye the colt? And they said, The Lord hath need of him."
I was taught as a child that when you take something without asking for it, that is stealing.

Shall we keep the sabbath?

Exodus 20:8 "Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy."
Exodus 31:15 "Whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."
Numbers 15:32,36 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. . . . And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses."
vs

Isaiah 1:13 "The new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity."
John 5:16 "And therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus and sought to slay him, because he had done these things on the sabbath day."
Colossians 2:16 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy-day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days."
Shall we make graven images?

Exodus 20:4 "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven . . . earth . . . water."
Leviticus 26:1 "Ye shall make ye no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone."
Deuteronomy 27:15 "Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image."
vs

Exodus 25:18 "And thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them."
I Kings 7:15,16,23,25 "For he [Solomon] cast two pillars of brass . . . and two chapiters of molten brass . . . And he made a molten sea . . . it stood upon twelve oxen . . . [and so on]"
Are we saved through works?

Ephesians 2:8,9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith . . . not of works."
Romans 3:20,28 "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight."
Galatians 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ."
vs

James 2:24 "Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."
Matthew 19:16-21 "And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he [Jesus] said unto him . . . keep the commandments. . . . The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven."
The common defense here is that "we are saved by faith and works." But Paul said "not of works."

Should good works be seen?

Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works."
I Peter 2:12 "Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that . . . they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation."
vs

Matthew 6:1-4 "Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them . . . that thine alms may be in secret."
Matthew 23:3,5 "Do not ye after their [Pharisees'] works. . . . all their works they do for to be seen of men."
Should we own slaves?

Leviticus 25:45-46 "Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, . . . and they shall be your possession . . . they shall be your bondmen forever."
Genesis 9:25 "And he [Noah] said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren."
Exodus 21:2,7 "If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. . . . And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the manservants do."
Joel 3:8 "And I will sell your sons and your daughters into the hand of the children of Judah, and they shall sell them to the Sabeans, to a people far off: for the Lord hath spoken it."
Luke 12:47,48 [Jesus speaking] "And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes."
Colossians 3:22 "Servants, obey in all things your masters."
vs

Isaiah 58:6 "Undo the heavy burdens . . . let the oppressed go free, . . . break every yoke."
Matthew 23:10 "Neither be ye called Masters: for one is your Master, even Christ."
Pro-slavery bible verses were cited by many churches in the South during the Civil War, and were used by some theologians in the Dutch Reformed Church to justify apartheid in South Africa. There are more pro-slavery verses than cited here.

Does God change his mind?

Malachi 3:6 "For I am the Lord; I change not."
Numbers 23:19 "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent."
Ezekiel 24:14 "I the Lord have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent."
James 1:17 " . . . the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning."
vs

Exodus 32:14 "And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people."
Genesis 6:6,7 "And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth . . . And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth . . . for it repenteth me that I have made him."
Jonah 3:10 ". . . and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not."
See also II Kings 20:1-7, Numbers 16:20-35, Numbers 16:44-50.

See Genesis 18:23-33, where Abraham gets God to change his mind about the minimum number of righteous people in Sodom required to avoid destruction, bargaining down from fifty to ten. (An omniscient God must have known that he was playing with Abraham's hopes for mercy--he destroyed the city anyway.)

Are we punished for our parents' sins?

Exodus 20:5 "For I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation." (Repeated in Deuteronomy 5:9)
Exodus 34:6-7 " . . . The Lord God, merciful and gracious, . . . that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation."
I Corinthians 15:22 "For as in Adam all die, . . ."
vs

Ezekiel 18:20 "The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father."
Deuteronomy 24:16 "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin."
Is God good or evil?

Psalm 145:9 "The Lord is good to all."
Deuteronomy 32:4 "a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he."
vs

Isaiah 45:7 "I make peace and create evil. I the Lord do all these things." See "Out of Context" for more on Isaiah 45:7.
Lamentations 3:38 "Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good?"
Jeremiah 18:11 "Thus saith the Lord; Behold, I frame evil against you, and devise a device against you."
Ezekiel 20:25,26 "I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments whereby they should not live. And I polluted them in their own gifts, in that they caused to pass through the fire all that openeth the womb, that I might make them desolate, to the end that they might know that I am the Lord."
Does God tempt people?

James 1:13 "Let no man say . . . I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man."
vs

Genesis 22:1 "And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham."
Is God peaceable?

Romans 15:33 "The God of peace."
Isaiah 2:4 ". . . and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."
vs

Exodus 15:3 "The Lord is a man of war."
Joel 3:9-10 "Prepare war, wake up the mighty men, let all the men of war draw near; let them come up: Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruninghooks into spears: let the weak say, I am strong."
Was Jesus peaceable?

John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you."
Acts 10:36 "The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ."
Luke 2:14 " . . . on earth peace, good will toward men."
vs

Matthew 10:34 "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household."
Luke 22:36 "Then said he unto them, . . . he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
Was Jesus trustworthy?

John 8:14 "Though I bear record of myself, yet my record is true."
vs

John 5:31 "If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true."
"Record" and "witness" in the above verses are the same Greek word (martyria).

Shall we call people names?

Matthew 5:22 "Whosoever shall say Thou fool, shall be in danger of hellfire." [Jesus speaking]
vs

Matthew 23:17 "Ye fools and blind." [Jesus speaking]
Psalm 14:1 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."
Has anyone seen God?

John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time."
Exodus 33:20 "Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live."
John 6:46 "Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God [Jesus], he hath seen the Father."
I John 4:12 "No man hath seen God at any time."
vs

Genesis 32:30 "For I have seen God face to face."
Exodus 33:11 "And the Lord spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."
Isaiah 6:1 "In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple."
Job 42:5 "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee."
DAWG

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »
GRACIE, no worries about your English, I think you do quite well...if I get confused I will ask  :)

Are you saying that you think that these 2 verses contradict each other?  If so, how?

Exodus 20

3 "You shall have no other gods before me.

4"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them....

If that is what you are saying, can you tell me why you think they contradict?  If that's not what you meant, sorry, can you please explain more for me?

And thanks for those lyrics, I'll check them out closer tomorrow!

I was talking about people like Christians and other religions that worship other gods.

Example: Like yourself you are a Christian, worships Christ and believe in God.

* Commandments 1 and 2.

8)
Gracie Rules

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 06:40:10 PM »
Mankind in his insatiable search for divine
Knowledge has discarded all
biblical teachings
Realizing that the strength of religion is the
repression of
knowledge
All structures of religion have collapsed

Life prays for death
in the wake of the horror of these revelations

It was never imagined how graphic the reality that would
be known as
the end
of creation
Would manifest itself
We believe all this
chaos and atrocity can be traced
Back to one single event
We hold
these truths to be painfully self-evident
All men are not created
equal
Only the strong will prosper
Only the strong will conquer
Only in
the darkness of Christ have I realized
God Hates Us All

I like slayer but that lyric is bullshit...
S

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »
Absolutely....and I don't think it's doctrine presented is bad if that is what you are saying (not sure)?  But maybe you are using a different definition of biblical doctrine than I am thinking about? 

And that definition is here :):

Ephesians 2:8-9
You are saved by grace through faith and not of works, so that no one can boast.

Yes, but its doctrine none the less.  Do this, do that, and or this and that will happen.  This is how you worship, or not worship. 

Spoony Luv

• Getbig IV
  • FROM UP ABOVE!!!
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »
Some Scientist now believe Dolphins may be extremely smart...So much so they want them categorized as equal to humans...Even above chimps...Others have theorized that some types of jelly fish speak a language that humans will never understand. And will live longer then we could ever dream of... I wonder if a Dolphins God or a jelly fishes God takes the form of a human?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 06:55:19 AM »
I don't believe in God

OK...so what does this thread mean  ???

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 06:59:49 AM »

I was talking about people like Christians and other religions that worship other gods.

Example: Like yourself you are a Christian, worships Christ and believe in God.

* Commandments 1 and 2.

8)

OH!!!  OK I think I see what you are saying!

But Christians believe that God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are one God....the Triune God.  3 in one.  The same, but separate.  It can be a difficult concept to grasp = the Trinity.

And Commandment 2 is saying not to "make" something and worship it....like a carving out of wood or whatever.
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 07:03:23 AM »
Yes, but its doctrine none the less.  Do this, do that, and or this and that will happen.  This is how you worship, or not worship. 

So I guess I don't understand what your point is here OzmO...sorry!  Are you saying that it's bad that the bible indicates that having sex with prostitutes can lead to bad stuff happening in your life?   

Or that it says not to worship statues and stuff?

I don't see either of those as bad...not sure if that's what you are saying??
R

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 02:34:15 PM »

To start, I don't see Christianity as a "religion"....(I know some people do though).   I see "religion" as something that deems you act in a certain way or do certain things or not do certain things to be considered right w/God.  Christianity is grace through faith and not of works....

You had said that you didn't see Christianity as a religion, but one of the things that define religion is doctrine and the bible if rife with it.  I'm not saying its bad or good.   Just making that point.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2010, 05:07:13 PM »
OK...so what does this thread mean  ???

What kind of asshole would say or do something like this.

Isaiah 45:7
''I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things''

''I form the light and create darkness,I bring prosperity and create disaster;  I, the LORD, do all these things"

''One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the Lord who does all these things"

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 07:07:22 AM »
You had said that you didn't see Christianity as a religion, but one of the things that define religion is doctrine and the bible if rife with it.  I'm not saying its bad or good.   Just making that point.

I see religion as a belief system that requires certain acts or lack of certain acts to result in salvation.

Christianity is a relationship w/God based on faith/belief...not acts.    I guess when we are talking "doctrine" we are using diff definitions or at least applying them differently.  The "doctrine" in the bible I mentioned above could equal common sense imo.
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2010, 07:10:48 AM »
What kind of asshole would say or do something like this.

Isaiah 45:7
''I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things''

''I form the light and create darkness,I bring prosperity and create disaster;  I, the LORD, do all these things"

''One forming light and creating darkness, Causing well-being and creating calamity; I am the Lord who does all these things"

So are you saying you don't believe that God would say this if there was a God and so that is why you don't believe in Him?
R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Christianity is a relationship w/God based on faith/belief

BEAUTIFULLY said, Buddyro.  This is the crux of the whole matter.  Thank  you for keeping it simple.

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »
I see religion as a belief system that requires certain acts or lack of certain acts to result in salvation.

Christianity is a relationship w/God based on faith/belief...not acts.    I guess when we are talking "doctrine" we are using diff definitions or at least applying them differently.  The "doctrine" in the bible I mentioned above could equal common sense imo.

Here we go again, religion kill and continue to kill tons of people.

How are they going to be saved, if God told them to no kill?

Like I said before... Do we really need a book to tell us to be a good person?
Gracie Rules

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »
I don't believe in God

So why bother?

There is only one truth, and that's the absolute truth. If you'll find the absolute truth, you will not only believe in God, you will also know for sure God exist.

I suggest for example you read the books: The ancient secret of the Flower of Life, volume I and II, by
Drunvalo Melchizedek.
Some parts might be difficult to understand, other parts you might find strange, but if you see the "big picture", it all comes clear.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2010, 03:34:09 PM »
So why bother?

There is only one truth, and that's the absolute truth. If you'll find the absolute truth, you will not only believe in God, you will also know for sure God exist.

I suggest for example you read the books: The ancient secret of the Flower of Life, volume I and II, by
Drunvalo Melchizedek.
Some parts might be difficult to understand, other parts you might find strange, but if you see the "big picture", it all comes clear.

oh brother.... ::)......yea che go read a book and then you will believe in god ;D
DAWG

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »

What religions are you talking about that continue to kill tons of people? 

Not sure what you mean by your second statement?

Yes, I believe we need something or someone to tell us to be a good person, (have you seen the selfishness of children before they have been taught to share etc)  and I do believe that Jesus' teachings are a good foundation.

But being good does not equal being saved according to the Christian Bible.
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2010, 12:57:20 PM »

Yes, I believe we need something or someone to tell us to be a good person, (have you seen the selfishness of children before they have been taught to share etc)  and I do believe that Jesus' teachings are a good foundation.

But being good does not result in being saved according to the Christian Bible.

Christianity is a relationship w/God based on faith/belief

BEAUTIFULLY said, Buddyro.  This is the crux of the whole matter.  Thank  you for keeping it simple.

:D
R

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2010, 02:08:01 PM »

Yes, I believe we need something or someone to tell us to be a good person, (have you seen the selfishness of children before they have been taught to share etc)  and I do believe that Jesus' teachings are a good foundation.

But being good does not result in being saved according to the Christian Bible.

:D

Christians,Muslims and Jews. the killing didn't stop yet.Well... inquisition still going on in the Middle East.

God told us to not kill, but religion kill tons of people.

How did they aspect to be saved? Oh yeah!!! almost forgot "confession".  

So you're saying that you don't  know the difference of good and bad? right or wrong?

And we all need a book to tell us that?

Being a good person = trying to live your live in a positive way. do you know what I mean?

Christianity all I have to say is this... *Gospel of Thomas.

* Including the Catholic Church.

Gracie Rules

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 06:38:53 AM »

Christians,Muslims and Jews. the killing didn't stop yet.Well... inquisition still going on in the Middle East.

I agree that radical Muslims are still killing people in the name of their religion but I'm not aware of Christians or Jews doing so. 

When you say the inquisition, what group are you talking about?

So you're saying that you don't  know the difference of good and bad? right or wrong?

And we all need a book to tell us that?

Being a good person = trying to live your live in a positive way. do you know what I mean?

Yes I know the difference between good and bad/right and wrong but it's relative, do you agree?

For instance, some people think adultery is wrong and some don't.  Some people think porn is damaging to psyches and families and some see it as a wonderful thing.  See what I mean?

But I'm saying as we grew up from babies, we need to be taught things.  I mean, yes, we all have a "conscious" (well most of us) of what is right and wrong, but certain things are taught to us. 

Christianity all I have to say is this... *Gospel of Thomas.

* Including the Catholic Church.

Can you give me a little background on the Gospel of Thomas?  It's not in the Bible....at least not in a regular bible.

Is it in the Catholic Church's bible?  Is that what you mean by that?
R

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 08:45:20 PM »
I agree that radical Muslims are still killing people in the name of their religion but I'm not aware of Christians or Jews doing so.  

When you say the inquisition, what group are you talking about?

Yes I know the difference between good and bad/right and wrong but it's relative, do you agree?

For instance, some people think adultery is wrong and some don't.  Some people think porn is damaging to psyches and families and some see it as a wonderful thing.  See what I mean?

But I'm saying as we grew up from babies, we need to be taught things.  I mean, yes, we all have a "conscious" (well most of us) of what is right and wrong, but certain things are taught to us.  

Can you give me a little background on the Gospel of Thomas?  It's not in the Bible....at least not in a regular bible.

Is it in the Catholic Church's bible?  Is that what you mean by that?

Not only the Muslims, but the Christians too.

Who's doing the inquisition?  Most of it by the Christians, what are you guys doing in the Middle East?

And a book that was written hundreds of years ago and was translate zillion times from dead languages.

That's the book we should follow?

About the Gospel of Thomas. The most significant Christian relic ever found.

But it was denied by the Church.

"the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.all around you, not in a building..."

Have you seen a movie called  Stigmata? check it out.

Note: don't pay attention to the yoga thing, that's a BS.

This one is very funny. Sweet baby Jesus, Hank is going to hell  

Gracie Rules