Author Topic: Anyone play Piano? (off topic, SORRY)  (Read 4954 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: Anyone play Piano? (off topic, SORRY)
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 06:53:26 PM »
great keyboard songs for you buddy

A

On_Swole

• Expert
  • Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »
There have been a few classical composers who decided to write music with only whole notes (equal space) - Ravel, Debussy, Franz Liszt, some Jazz musicians and believe it or not the first few seconds of the intro to Stevie Wonder's "You are the Sunshine of my Life".

Songs with equal spaces sound a little unusual (esoteric) to the human ear though and that's why there are not that many of them out there.

This is what is referred to as "whole tone composition", stemming from the whole tone scale. Each note in the whole tone scale is the interval of one step above the previous note.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 07:11:18 PM »
A

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2010, 07:13:15 PM »
i've watched some victor wooten bass videos.  He will intentionally hit and hold some bad notes, just because the resolution/calming effect to the listenener is so overwhelimng when he goes back to the correct note in key.  the best thing about a bad note is that you know two good notes are sitting next to it :)

If you want to teach professionally, learn theory.

if you want to get a record deal, work on your look and learn theory and write good songs.

if you want to produce, get an audio engineering degree and run sound at a club on weekends.

if you want to get laid, learn some jason mraz and some bob marley and keep a loud keyboard in your trunk.  plug it in at 1 am and you're getting laid at 3 or youre doing something wrong.

if you want to play locally and make a living, learn to be a professional, drink lightly and learn a ton of songs.  I can currently play about 1200 songs on bass without cheat sheet.

haha, that is awesome
S

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 07:24:19 PM »
You didn't?  Come on.   ::)

Showing off your body to other men = gay
Admiring another man's muscled physique = gay

dude, i have gone to rallys for gay rights, but you're a fag, and I don't mean in the gay way.  I mean, you're just lame, and oddly hung up on thinking everything and everyone is gay.  I live in the bay area and have a lot of gay and lesbian friends, and NOT ONE of them thinks like you.  I know there are a lot of closet cases out there, but you saying everything is gay is just as stupid as me saying every gay person is just choosing to be that way.  Your schtick is really tired, and you're not doing your fellow gays any favors by acting this way. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 07:26:31 PM »
dude, i have gone to rallys for gay rights, but you're a fag, and I don't mean in the gay way.  I mean, you're just lame, and oddly hung up on thinking everything and everyone is gay.  I live in the bay area and have a lot of gay and lesbian friends, and NOT ONE of them thinks like you.  I know there are a lot of closet cases out there, but you saying everything is gay is just as stupid as me saying every gay person is just choosing to be that way.  Your schtick is really tired, and you're not doing your fellow gays any favors by acting this way. 

Agree, he turns people off of the gay thing big time...
S

Silverback Gorilla

• Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »
I'm learning...

I understand that in a major scale you do a whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, whole step, half step.  But why? 

Why not just do all whole steps?

??? ??? ???
Because that is considered a whole tone scale, a totally different scale all together.  Research tetrachords, that will help you understand scale degrees.
I'm goin' in...

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 07:35:33 PM »
Because that is considered a whole tone scale, a totally different scale all together.  Research tetrachords, that will help you understand scale degrees.

well, it also has to do with the fact that we are accustomed to the western music scale. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 07:46:39 PM »
Can someone give me an example of a major scale in a known song?   ???

I'm kind of confused now...
S

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 07:48:57 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]&aq=7&oq=major+scale

marty31672

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 08:29:14 PM »
my wife played the piano
her and her sisters would practice the piano when they was little

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'

Nirvana

• Getbig V

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 08:41:45 PM »
u splled Yngwie rong

I play similar to Yngwie but he's a cock, hence the misspelling of his name.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »
This is what is referred to as "whole tone composition", stemming from the whole tone scale. Each note in the whole tone scale is the interval of one step above the previous note.

Bingo. It's an odd sounding scale, very seldom used.

Eyeball, there is a sound reason as to why the notes are chosen to make up the major scale too.

Hit me with a PM and I can help you with some theory if you'd like.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2010, 09:02:27 PM »
Bingo. It's an odd sounding scale, very seldom used.

Eyeball, there is a sound reason as to why the notes are chosen to make up the major scale too.

Hit me with a PM and I can help you with some theory if you'd like.

I use this scale often along with Neapolitan minor, Hungarian minor and diminished scales etc. I like to move away from the usual scales and modes.

You find whole tone scales mostly in cartoon soundtracks, for it's offbeat sound.

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »
Can someone give me an example of a major scale in a known song?   ???

I'm kind of confused now...

Take a listen to Wild World by Cat Stevens.  It is in the key of Aminor, which is the relative minor of C Major (all white keys on piano), and uses the same notes.  The reason I chose this song is b/c the little flourish (riff) at :57 and throughout the song is simply the descending C Major scale.  Start on the Middle C key, and hit every other descending white key until you get to the next C key.  Pretty simple, and it's a great example of a major scale used in a song.  

I think the biggest reason for Western music utilizing the Major scale as much as it does is harmony, how the different notes relate to the tonic (the I of the scale), and the tension and resolution created by using particular combination of notes of this scale together.  

An understanding of music theory is not as daunting a task as it may seem, depending on how deep you want to get.  Music contains only 12 notes; 7 "notes" plus 5 sharp & flats.  The notes came before any scale.  Over time people played various patterns of notes together, if these combination of notes worked for their purpose, they would call it a "insert name"scale.  Some scales are easy to construct, like the whole tone scale; others are a bit more involved, like the Melodic Minor which will raise the 6 & 7 degreess a half step when ascending the scale, then lower them both back a half step when descending.  

There are thousands of scales out there, but you'd be best off getting a grip on the major, then going from there.  Knowing the Major scale well will give you the knowledge to construct the modes, minors, pentatonics, pretty much any scale you'll use in Western music.  it's pretty much the Grandaddy of Western music.  Also remember that all this theory is only guidlines.  They are not rules, only tools to be used to lead you in the right direction to get the sound you want out your instrument..  You can make your own scale if you like by throwing a combination of notes together, although whether others will use/like it is another story.

If you're in the mood to learn some music theory, and don't  mind reading "dry" material, I highly recommend Walter Piston's "Harmony".  It's one of the best book on music you'll find.  There's a lot in there, so just take it a bit at a time, and let it sink in.  

Sorry for the long wind.  Hope this helped a bit.

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 10:51:32 PM »
u splled Yngwie rong

Nirvana,  I noticed Ole Earl in you Avatar.  Do you pick a banjer?  Picked ( :)) one up about 6 months ago, and haven't put it down since.  Feeling like i'm neglecting my other strings though. 

io856

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 11:20:45 PM »
You didn't?  Come on.   ::)

Showing off your body to other men = gay
Admiring another man's muscled physique = gay

The father of modern bodybuilding, Eugene Sandow 1867-1925 (long considered to have the perfect proportions of classical Greek and Roman sculpture), dumped his wife and toured the country posing and flexing with his piano playing boyfriend (Martinus Sieveking) in tow.  The two eventually set up house together in NYC.  Sandow also engaged in what we would today call 'private posing'.

when I was doing my posing routine at my last show I heard the screams/squeals of women in the crowd... not men!

mind you I can't see what the men are doing as the spotlights blind you haha

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »
Lot of well tempered claviers in this thread.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2010, 12:52:50 AM »
No, best left purely for decorative purposes.....
No doubt about it...

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2010, 05:18:21 AM »
haha

Thanks people, very much!

I'll PM you later on if you don't mind YoungBlood... Thanks!!
S

heavyNbasic

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2010, 05:44:24 AM »
The piano is a pretty gay instrument, btw.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
Re: Anyone play Piano? (off topic, SORRY) (No homo)
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2010, 05:55:34 AM »
The piano is a pretty gay instrument, btw.

(No homo)
S

ksa_triceps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2010, 06:52:19 AM »
I'm an expert in "Moonlight Sonata" on Pianist for the IPhone. I have yet to release my talents to a real piano though.