Author Topic: Times When You Felt Like A Mark  (Read 4506 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Times When You Felt Like A Mark
« on: January 24, 2010, 10:16:29 AM »
One in particular stands out.

It was about a year after Hogan beat the Iron Sheik for the WWF title. Hulk was being interviewed, on the MSG network, in a non-wrestling venue, about some charity work he did.

Hulk was responding to the questions in a very calm, normal manner. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had thought that "You know something Hulkamanics!!" was his real speaking voice.

Doh!

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Times When You Felt Like A Mark
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 03:39:50 PM »
I was a little kid when Roddy Piper smashed a coconut across Jimmy Snuka’s head. Really, I was too young to appreciate the “magnitude” of the act.

Well, my Dad brought home a real coconut from the grocery store for me to see up close.
He gave me a hammer, a brick – had me banging the thing against a stone wall in our yard.
He wasn’t kayfabing me – just teaching me how fukking hard a coconut actually is – and, presumably, how ridiculous is the idea of someone hitting another person in the head with one without killing them.

*My parents taught me at a very young age the difference between real and make believe. They made sure I knew that things seen in movies (and - gasp - wrestling) were “pretend.”
That was probably my last experience as a true mark.

* If more parents spent more time teaching their kids these types of lessons rather than trying to sue Vince and petitioning companies to cease advertising during wrestling broadcasts, maybe there wouldn’t be so many accidents to blame on wrestling.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 04:03:29 PM »
I remember having a full-blown argument with my Dad when I was about 10, cos he used to laugh at me for watching wrestling, telling me it was fake.  I argued til I was blue in the face that it was all real...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »
That used to always be a very touchy subject for wrestlers – if, how, and when to break to your family (specifically, kids) the news that dad isn’t really getting the shit kicked out of him 4-6 nights/week.

I think by the late 80’s a lot of that began to drastically change.
I knew one of Bruno Sammartino’s cousins - second cousin, actually - who told me a little about Bruno.
My god, that man never broke kayfabe. I used to joke that maybe his son David would have done better in the WWF if Bruno had smartened him up first.

Skeeter

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »
I was only a kid when Shawn Michaels kicked Marty Jannetty through the window. I thought for sure that it was real.
Macho Man bitten by the cobra scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:46:43 PM »

that was such an amazing segment.

10x better than any of the shit they have on today.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 05:33:13 AM »
Back then, they could effectively blur the line between reality & fiction. In fact, that was often the goal.

Ever since Vince came clean & admitted the business is a work, they haven’t tried as hard to be convincing.
And they probably figure, “Why should we?”
They don’t have to convince anyone of anything now, and it’s as if they use that as an excuse to put on lame angles.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 01:05:03 PM »
Way too many to mention as a kid.....one in particular when I was really small was Abdullah the Butcher carving up Wahoo McDaniels on TV...they did some weird color contrast so you couldn't see the blood....but it was intermitent....I think the clip is somewhere on youtube.....I cried and told my mom that Abdullah killed Wahoo.....hahahaha

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 09:32:41 PM »
I was only a kid when Shawn Michaels kicked Marty Jannetty through the window. I thought for sure that it was real.

Almost always, yes.

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:36:21 PM »
Way too many to mention as a kid.....one in particular when I was really small was Abdullah the Butcher carving up Wahoo McDaniels on TV...they did some weird color contrast so you couldn't see the blood....but it was intermitent....I think the clip is somewhere on youtube.....I cried and told my mom that Abdullah killed Wahoo.....hahahaha

Almost always, yes.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 04:33:18 AM »
I was a little kid when Roddy Piper smashed a coconut across Jimmy Snuka’s head. Really, I was too young to appreciate the “magnitude” of the act.

Well, my Dad brought home a real coconut from the grocery store for me to see up close.
He gave me a hammer, a brick – had me banging the thing against a stone wall in our yard.
He wasn’t kayfabing me – just teaching me how fukking hard a coconut actually is – and, presumably, how ridiculous is the idea of someone hitting another person in the head with one without killing them.

*My parents taught me at a very young age the difference between real and make believe. They made sure I knew that things seen in movies (and - gasp - wrestling) were “pretend.”
That was probably my last experience as a true mark.

* If more parents spent more time teaching their kids these types of lessons rather than trying to sue Vince and petitioning companies to cease advertising during wrestling broadcasts, maybe there wouldn’t be so many accidents to blame on wrestling.

For me it was when Studd & Bundy tackled Andre and splashed him several times "re-injuring" his sternum for the tenth time  ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 08:15:35 AM »

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »

The cobra biting savage was pretty intense. Look at the faces of the peoplein the crowd....even Liz was screaming in a panic.

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:15:55 AM »
The seven-minute version of the snake bite is even better. I didn't post it because who in the world is going to watch the entire thing for just the bite? LOL There's shots of children in the audience in shock and starting to cry. Nothing like the 80s/90s for wrestling.
Almost always, yes.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 10:00:24 AM »
The seven-minute version of the snake bite is even better. I didn't post it because who in the world is going to watch the entire thing for just the bite? LOL There's shots of children in the audience in shock and starting to cry. Nothing like the 80s/90s for wrestling.

Amen....I would trade guys jumping off the roof on each other, 8 piledrivers, 3 hurricunamarialaiaoas and a kick-out for old-school wrestling any day of the week.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 09:04:23 PM »
Thought of another. As a kid, and in to my teen years, I really believed Ivan Koloff was Russian. Of course, we didn't have Wikipedia back then:

"The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff (born Oreal Perras on August 25, 1942)

Early career
Perras debuted as an Irish rogue heel character named Red McNulty, billed from Dublin, Ireland and wrestling with an eyepatch. For the next three years, he wrestled around the Toronto area, eventually quitting his regular job to wrestle in the north-western area of Canada. There, Parris acquired much wrestling experience, and from there he made his first trip to Japan.

The Russian Bear
In 1967, Jim Perras became "The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff, a bearded villainous character billed from Moscow, and debuted with the International Wrestling Association in Montreal, Québec.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 08:42:17 AM »
Thought of another. As a kid, and in to my teen years, I really believed Ivan Koloff was Russian. Of course, we didn't have Wikipedia back then:

"The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff (born Oreal Perras on August 25, 1942)

Early career
Perras debuted as an Irish rogue heel character named Red McNulty, billed from Dublin, Ireland and wrestling with an eyepatch. For the next three years, he wrestled around the Toronto area, eventually quitting his regular job to wrestle in the north-western area of Canada. There, Parris acquired much wrestling experience, and from there he made his first trip to Japan.

The Russian Bear
In 1967, Jim Perras became "The Russian Bear" Ivan Koloff, a bearded villainous character billed from Moscow, and debuted with the International Wrestling Association in Montreal, Québec.

Oh yeah, Ivan was a main event heel in the mid-atlantic area for years.  He had that tatoo of an eagle with a russian sickle sticking thru it's head.  Talk about kayfabe!

indie-lad

• Getbig IV