Author Topic: Obama and GOP meet - GOP support banks keeping TARP money!  (Read 2632 times)

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Obama and GOP meet - GOP support banks keeping TARP money!
« on: January 29, 2010, 12:07:57 PM »
BALTIMORE — In a face-to-face encounter, President Barack Obama chastised Republican lawmakers Friday for opposing him on health care, economic stimulus and other major issues.

Republicans pushed back on taxes and spending, and accused Obama of not taking their ideas seriously.

Obama, attending the House Republicans' retreat in Baltimore, began with conciliatory remarks but soon became more pointed. He said a GOP-driven "politics of no" was blocking action on bills that could help Americans obtain jobs and health care.

In a sometimes-barbed exchange, he said some in the audience have attended ribbon-cutting ceremonies for projects funded by the stimulus package they voted against. Obama also questioned why Republicans have overwhelmingly opposed his tax-cut policies, which he said have benefited 95 percent of American families.

"The notion that this was a radical package is just not true," Obama said. "I am not an ideologue."

GOP lawmakers pressed the president to pledge to support a line-item veto for spending bills and across-the-board tax cuts. Obama demurred, saying billionaires don't need new tax cuts.

In his opening remarks, Obama criticized a Washington culture driven by opinion polls and nonstop political campaigns.

"I don't think the American people want us to focus on our job security, they want us to focus on their job security," he said.

The president acknowledged that Republicans have joined Democrats in some efforts, such as sending more U.S. troops to Afghanistan. But he said he was disappointed and perplexed by virtually unanimous GOP opposition to other programs, such as the $787 billion economic stimulus bill enacted a year ago.

He also noted overwhelming Republican opposition to his proposed overhaul of the nation's health care, which now is in legislative peril. Obama said he would gladly look at better ideas, but he urged Republicans to acknowledge the difficulties that many Americans face in obtaining good health care.

Obama said it makes ideological sense for Democrats and Republicans to work together on some issues such as charging fees to banks that benefited from a federal bailout, temporarily freezing some government spending, keeping jobs from being exported and paying for new government programs when they are created.

Republicans have sharply criticized Obama's approach to most of these issues.

Repubs support the banks keeping TARP money! 333 what are your thoughts on that specific issue?
Abandon every hope...

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
Re: Obama and GOP meet - GOP support banks keeping TARP money!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »
That's not at all what that article said.  333 has already spoke of the problems associated with charging banks.  Secondly, why should a bank that has paid its money back have to pay into this?

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 12:27:44 PM »
That's not at all what that article said.  333 has already spoke of the problems associated with charging banks.  Secondly, why should a bank that has paid its money back have to pay into this?

So they should keep it then? Gotcha!  Lets let banks rule the world again! free reign for all!  How is it being 333's gimmick b*tch?
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 12:30:44 PM »
GOP bought and paid for by the American banks  :-*
Abandon every hope...

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 12:36:17 PM »
KC"baller" is a buffoon. Common sense does not agree with him.

The taxes that Obama has planned for these banks will be passed on as additional cost to the customers. The hell with the american consumer, right liberals?

The funniest line of that article is Obama trying to call out the republicans for opposing him on everything.  Didn't the Democrats have the majority in both houses? They could have passed legislations even if all the Republicans united in opposition of such measures.  Republicans were powerless to filibuster until Scott Brown's victory.

The Democrats have only themselves to blame.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 12:38:30 PM »
GOP bought and paid for by the American banks  :-*

Actually, with the so called stimulus helping Goldman Sachs and others, it is the Democrats who are bought and paid for.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 12:38:44 PM »
They disagree with the extra tax/fee on the banks.  No one opposes paying back TARP money.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 12:44:02 PM »
I find it disturbing that the president lectured the GOP but expects more bipartisanship.  The same president that publically ridiculed the supreme court in the state of the union speech and has been blaming Bush for almost 13 months now.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 12:48:51 PM »
If anything, both parties have received contributions from banks. But, the current administration keeps appointing executives from Goldman Sachs to positions. Why is that?

Another Goldman executive named to key government post as its profits skyrocket
By Glenn Greenwald

Apparently, the U.S. government didn't have enough Goldman Sachs executives in key financial and regulatory positions, so the following happened this week:

A Goldman Sachs executive has been named the first chief operating officer of the Securities and Exchange Commission's enforcement division.

The market watchdog says Adam Storch, vice president in Goldman Sachs' Business Intelligence Group, is assuming the new position of managing executive of the SEC division.

The move comes as the SEC revamps its enforcement efforts following the agency's failure to uncover Bernard Madoff's massive fraud scheme for nearly two decades despite numerous red flags.

A Goldman executive as COO of the SEC's enforcement division.  This is all consistent with the observation of Desmond Lachman -- previously chief emerging market strategist at Salomon Smith Barney and IMF deputy director -- regarding "Goldman Sachs's seeming lock on high-level U.S. Treasury jobs," which he cited as but one of the many "parallels between U.S. policymaking and what we see in emerging markets."

In October of last year, a Goldman Sachs Vice President, Neel Kashkari, was named by former Goldman CEO and then-Treasury Secretary Hank Pauslon to oversee the$700 billion TARP bailout.  In January of this year, Tim Geithner hired a former Goldman Sachs lobbyist, Mark Patterson, to be his top aide and Chief of Staff.  In March, President Obama nominated Goldman Sachs executive Gary Gensler to head the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, which regulates futures markets, even though (or "because") Gensler confessed to lax regulation during the Clinton administration over the very derivative instruments that caused the financial crisis.  In April, Goldman hired as its top lobbyist Michael Paese, the top aide to Rep. Barney Frank on the House Financial Services Committee which Frank chairs.

According to ABC News in October, 2008, Goldman "spent more than $43 million dollars on lobbying and campaign contributions to cultivate friends and buy influence in Washington, D.C. since 1989" and their "bankers have been the country's top political campaign contributors this year."  "They are almost in a class by themselves," said Sheila Krumholz, the executive director for the Center for Responsive Politics.   As Michael Moore has been pointing out, Goldman was the number one source of funding for the Obama 2008 presidential campaign.  [bThe bailout of AIG -- which resulted in massive federal government monies to Goldman -- was engineered at a meeting between Paulson, Geithner and Goldman CEO Lloyd Blankfein.  Last year, Goldman paid top Obama economics adviser Larry Summers $135,000 for a one-day visit to Goldman.  [/b]

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 01:02:31 PM »
So they should keep it then? Gotcha!  Lets let banks rule the world again! free reign for all!  How is it being 333's gimmick b*tch?

Most of the banks paid the tarp money back WITH INTEREST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The government made about 50 billion on the deal.Now,this filthy guy Obama wants them to pay a special fee ON TOP of the money they took.What right does Obama have to do that?Will he ask GM for the same thing?Freddy and Fannie?Let me answer that for you FUCK NO he wont.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 01:03:24 PM »
this is a move that will convince some americans that repubs are with the banks, and obama is against them.

we can know otherwise, but our vote is only 1, just like theirs.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 01:05:31 PM »
this is a move that will convince some americans that repubs are with the banks, and obama is against them.

Let them Dems run on that and the republicans will run against big government.Check the polls,the people hate the government more then banks.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »

Its pure Obama lies, like all the others you buy into.  This is a permanent tax, not a repayment plan, since a lot of these banks already paid back the money.  Addtionally, this tax hits banks that never got tarp to begin with. 

What I find absolutely hysterical is that people like KC will be the first to cry like a bitch when ATM fees go to $4.00 and the monthly maintenence fees on checking, passbook savings, and other things go up. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 01:23:36 PM »

exactly.  one is all for the banks doing what they wish.  pathetic and so out of touch.  here is an issue they could nail the dems on but they let the dems have the momentum.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 01:28:33 PM »
exactly.  one is all for the banks doing what they wish.  pathetic and so out of touch.  here is an issue they could nail the dems on but they let the dems have the momentum.

How fucking dumb are you?  Serious KC - did you even graduate HS? 

You level of understanding on anything economic is pathetic, sorely lacking, and a perfect example of why we have perhaps the dumbest president of my lifetime sitting in DC. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »
How fucking dumb are you?  Serious KC - did you even graduate HS? 

You level of understanding on anything economic is pathetic, sorely lacking, and a perfect example of why we have perhaps the dumbest president of my lifetime sitting in DC. 

waaaah go cry me a river for my hydro dam.  green tech b*tch enjoy it!
Abandon every hope...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 02:40:22 PM »

Please stop making that assumption that I buy into this statement by Obama.  I'm very much at the point to realize your princess Palin and the saviour Obama, along with everyone else in DC, will do the same shit.  They'll all take $ from lobbyists, they'll all lie and change positions and will do whatever to stay in power.

That being said, it's been a week since his team came back together.... Since then, we have obama going after banks, obama introducing a spending freeze, and now the GOP on the record supporting TARP.  You don't thikn 10 more months of these moves will bring him a few voters back?

FVCK... all the repubs couldn't tug each other off fast enough after Brown won... and it's been a week-long obama assault since then.  Keep spiking the football celebrating the win after the 1st quarter... the dems have picked it up and are running the other direction with it.

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 07:32:30 AM »
This is one horrible president. Its amazing how bad he is. Ok, guys, here is the thing about the stimulus: It was not a stimulus. It was a big government giveaway. Keynes would be spinning in his grave over it. If it had been a true Keynesian stimulus, it would have gotten support from many Republicans, even though Republicans in general dont support Keynsian measures to revive the economy. That's what is so hysterical and pathetic about the way Obama approached this.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 11:32:07 AM »
waaaah go cry me a river for my hydro dam.  green tech b*tch enjoy it!

More lies you have bought in to.  Green tech is a joke and is simply a way to waste more tax dollars.