Author Topic: Public Option gaining support  (Read 3815 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Public Option gaining support
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 01:11:32 PM »
"Well if alll the gas stations agreed to fuck the consumer they would be in violation of anti-trust law, therefore the government would be obligated to put an end to it. Its a good premise but doesn't hold water."

Well, it seems like we have 'de facto' monopolies going on with the big 3 insurance companies - they're all jacking prices, they're all making record profits.

Maybe we can't nail them under anti-trust because they don't put an agreement in paper to jack up all the prices at once and all get rich at once - but it sure happened.

I'm fine with them making a profit - but record prices and record profits at the same time?  Cap them.  Cap prices.  My own rates went up 40% this year, and I didn't nothing different on my end.  What will 2 or 3 more years lead to?  80 or 120% increase?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 01:13:59 PM »
"Well if alll the gas stations agreed to fuck the consumer they would be in violation of anti-trust law, therefore the government would be obligated to put an end to it. Its a good premise but doesn't hold water."

Well, it seems like we have 'de facto' monopolies going on with the big 3 insurance companies - they're all jacking prices, they're all making record profits.

Maybe we can't nail them under anti-trust because they don't put an agreement in paper to jack up all the prices at once and all get rich at once - but it sure happened.

I'm fine with them making a profit - but record prices and record profits at the same time?  Cap them.  Cap prices.  My own rates went up 40% this year, and I didn't nothing different on my end.  What will 2 or 3 more years lead to?  80 or 120% increase?

And why do they have a monopoly?

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 01:21:55 PM »

And back to my original point who put the rules in place that allow this? I'll give you 3 guess's and the first 2 don't count.  Term limits my friend, that is the answer, if these asshats could spend 30 yrs in congress the option of buying them off would become nearly pointless. Why does the potus have a term limit and not members of congress?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 02:02:45 PM »
"And why do they have a monopoly?"

I dunno.  Do you?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 07:46:23 PM »
upport for the public health insurance option is surging in the Senate. It began with three freshman Democrats in the House, Alan Grayson (Fla.), Chellie Pingree (Maine) and Jared Polis (Colo.). The campaign has taken place almost exclusively online.

Grayson organized an online petition calling for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) to include a public option in health care reform using reconciliation, process that requires only fifty votes plus a tie-breaker from Vice President Joe Biden. Pingree and Polis persuaded more than 100 House members to sign on to a letter urging Reid to do the same.

It's about F-ing time. I'm truly astonished it hasn't occurred previously. Truly astonished & amazed!
w

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »
It's about F-ing time. I'm truly astonished it hasn't occurred previously. Truly astonished & amazed!

It likely won't happen. It's election year and there aren't enough Democrats, willing to commit political suicide to save Reid and Obama's pipe dream.

The American people don't want this crap, pure and simple.

That's why they kept trying to rush it last year, before the people said enough is enough.

Even attempting the "nuclear" option does nothing but guarantee that the Democrats get the tar beat out of them this November.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 08:07:55 AM »
Everyone knows that no matter how bad a landslide in an election... you wait 6 years and it's completely going o go the other way again.

Maybe the dems truly believe they can save 100 mil americans from going without coverage by taking the hit.  Maybe they believe we're on the cusp of the next social security or medicare - and it's up to them - and they're willing to take some political risk.

The rest of the world does it.  They told us they were going to bring it to office - obama campaigned on it.  He'll be called a failure if he DOESN'T punch it thru, and get voted out of office.  So, from his point of view, why not shove it down their throats and just get it passed? 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 10:04:32 AM »
Everyone knows that no matter how bad a landslide in an election... you wait 6 years and it's completely going o go the other way again.

Maybe the dems truly believe they can save 100 mil americans from going without coverage by taking the hit.  Maybe they believe we're on the cusp of the next social security or medicare - and it's up to them - and they're willing to take some political risk.

The rest of the world does it.  They told us they were going to bring it to office - obama campaigned on it.  He'll be called a failure if he DOESN'T punch it thru, and get voted out of office.  So, from his point of view, why not shove it down their throats and just get it passed? 

Because it's NOT what the American people want, what they put him in office to do. You're judged as a success or failure, based on whether you do what those who voted you into office asked you to do.

They DO NOT WANT THIS MESS. That's why Scott Brown is in office. That's why 70% of a CNN poll claim that it's a good thing that the Dems lost their supermajority. If they wanted him to punch it through, Coakely would be in the Senate, not Brown.

It's the liberals and others on the far-left that are obsessed with Europe-envy, trying to be like the rest of the world. We're different. The rest of the world like soccer. Americans, by and large, could give two figs about it.

The Dems are in trouble, because they made the same mistake the GOP did after the 2004 elections: They got too cocky, too arrogant, stopped listening to the voters, and started acting a fool, fiscally and (in some cases) morally.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 01:09:31 PM »
"Because it's NOT what the American people want, what they put him in office to do. "

For argument's sake.... The majority of the American people were very much against the iraqi war. Bush continued for several years because he believed it was the right thing to do.  He said he'd keep the war going if 99% of Americans were against it.  Our desires meant nothing.

Ask any 5-year old if he wants to get his shots or eat his veggies - you know what the answer will be.  But the parents - better informed and educated about the future of a kid that doesn't eat veggies or gets shots - makes the decision for them.

I'm not saying any of this is the case here - only that the majority of Americans know more about how the top 10 of American idol will play out, than they do about what our monthly healthcare costs will be.  As a group, they aren't that bright about long-term anything.  Can you or I honestly say what a healthy 30-year-old will pay in 5 years for basic coverage?  No.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »
"Because it's NOT what the American people want, what they put him in office to do. "

In 2008, he said, "This is what I intend to do on healthcare:"
Quality, Affordable and Portable Coverage for All
http://usliberals.about.com/od/healthcare/a/ObamaHlthCare.htm

Read that list.  It's damn near identical what he is trying to implement now.  Yes, Americans DID vote for him to do this - in a pretty big margin of victory.  Everyone is surprised that Door #3 (the one with a big pitbull sign on the door) actually contained pit bulls when opened? ???

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 02:24:34 PM »

Why the hell would you even give a damn?  I guess when your own country doesn't mean jackshit in the world, you have live vicariously through the U.S.A.

Because it's NOT what the American people want, what they put him in office to do.

I think the majority of people do want reform, they just don't want the monstrosity that they came up with.  We'll see what he puts out Monday as far as the compromises go.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 02:37:26 PM »
"I think the majority of people do want reform,'

The majority of American voters chose a guy who said he would get into office and develop universal healthcare plan.

I don't understand why ppl act so shocked.  "They are who we thought they were!"

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 03:11:09 PM »
It likely won't happen. It's election year and there aren't enough Democrats, willing to commit political suicide to save Reid and Obama's pipe dream.

The American people don't want this crap, pure and simple.
That's why they kept trying to rush it last year, before the people said enough is enough.

Even attempting the "nuclear" option does nothing but guarantee that the Democrats get the tar beat out of them this November.

Repubs always throw out that line in spite of the fact that many polls show that a majority of American and also doctors support some kind of public option

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »
The majority of American voters chose a guy who said he would get into office and develop universal healthcare plan.

I don't understand why ppl act so shocked.  "They are who we thought they were!"

Oh please.  Nobody - neither those who voted for him or those who didn't - expected shit like billion dollar payoff's to hold out senators, snuggling up with Big Pharma, union exemptions, congressional exclusions.  Tell you what.  Find me just one instance where Barry gave any indication of that kind of bullshit prior to his election and I'll agree you're not full of shit.

We've gone well above partisan politics as usual for this reform.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2010, 03:16:18 PM »
Repubs always throw out that line in spite of the fact that many polls show that a majority of American and also doctors support some kind of public option

I put that out, because of WHAT WENT DOWN IN MASSACHUSETTS (as well as Virginia and New Jersey). If they wanted the public option, Coakely would be in the Senate and the cry would go out for the Democrats to bulldoze ObamaCare (public option and all) to Obama's desk.

If the people really wanted this, Obama would have put this debate on C-Span, AS HE PROMISED TO DO FOR THE BETTER PART OF TWO YEARS, instead of hiding in secret and bribing Senators with the "Cornhusker Kickback", the "Louisiana Purchase" and "Gatorade".

That ain't happening, pure and simple. And the Democrats' refusal to acknowledge what the people ACTUALLY want is why they're cruising for a bruising this November.

The doctors that support this crap are the hand-picked ones on Obama's photo-ops. The rest.......NO, THANK YOU to this mess.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2010, 03:39:03 PM »
I put that out, because of WHAT WENT DOWN IN MASSACHUSETTS (as well as Virginia and New Jersey). If they wanted the public option, Coakely would be in the Senate and the cry would go out for the Democrats to bulldoze ObamaCare (public option and all) to Obama's desk.

If the people really wanted this, Obama would have put this debate on C-Span, AS HE PROMISED TO DO FOR THE BETTER PART OF TWO YEARS, instead of hiding in secret and bribing Senators with the "Cornhusker Kickback", the "Louisiana Purchase" and "Gatorade".

That ain't happening, pure and simple. And the Democrats' refusal to acknowledge what the people ACTUALLY want is why they're cruising for a bruising this November.

The doctors that support this crap are the hand-picked ones on Obama's photo-ops. The rest.......NO, THANK YOU to this mess.

1.  MA already has publicly mandated (and subsidized) public healthcare and Coakley was a horrible candidate.   

2.  Here's a recent poll with doctors.  Go ahead and explain how Obama hand picked the participants.
     http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/48408physician.pdf
3.  Obama has offered public debate and Repubs are balking but I think it's still happening next week
     http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/08/health.care/index.html
     http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-february-11-2010/the-apparent-trap

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 05:03:04 AM »
Obama was elected based on slick marketing, msm kneepadding, white liberal guilt, and the fact that he was not GWB. 

The rest is all bs. 

He said no new taxes remember?  This plan violates that pledge, so Obama was not elected to push forward ObamaCare in its present form. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 05:46:49 AM »

For argument's sake.... The majority of the American people were very much against the iraqi war. Bush continued for several years because he believed it was the right thing to do.  He said he'd keep the war going if 99% of Americans were against it.  Our desires meant nothing.

Ask any 5-year old if he wants to get his shots or eat his veggies - you know what the answer will be.  But the parents - better informed and educated about the future of a kid that doesn't eat veggies or gets shots - makes the decision for them.

I'm not saying any of this is the case here - only that the majority of Americans know more about how the top 10 of American idol will play out, than they do about what our monthly healthcare costs will be.  As a group, they aren't that bright about long-term anything.  Can you or I honestly say what a healthy 30-year-old will pay in 5 years for basic coverage?  No.

I can, ...and the answer is.... $0.  I'm Canadian. We have universal healthcare.  :D
w

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 05:49:05 AM »
For what Civil War Part 2? 

Impeachment?

A GOP Tsunami in November? 

I simply have no idea why the libs dont get the fact that the public overwhelmingly does not want a govt takeover of healthcare and wants this admn to focus solely on jobs and the economy, not global warming, health care, card check, amensty for illegals, etc.   

impeachment of whom?
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 05:51:57 AM »

Why the hell would you even give a damn?  I guess when your own country doesn't mean jackshit in the world, you have live vicariously through the U.S.A.

Well your guess is wrong...AGAIN!

I care because I'm tired of seeing American healthcare refugees flooding our border.
I care because alot of my friends, colleagues, and family are American.
Infact, ...the vast majority of my family members are American.

And I care because your healthcare system as it exists right now is plain F-ed up, and will only get worse if a public option is not implemented. Unlike YOU, there are those who actually care about other people besides themselves.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2010, 05:52:42 AM »
I can, ...and the answer is.... $0.  I'm Canadian. We have universal healthcare.  :D

There is no such thing as free health care.  You are paying for it is other ways.     

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2010, 05:55:37 AM »
impeachment of whom?

If there is a massive turnover in 2010 of the congress and Obama continues on his suicide pact for the economy his own party will force him to step down and not run. 

Impeachment is probably never going to happen.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2010, 05:56:15 AM »
Well your guess is wrong...AGAIN!

I care because I'm tired of seeing American healthcare refugees flooding our border.
I care because alot of my friends, colleagues, and family are American.
Infact, ...the vast majority of my family members are American.

And I care because your healthcare system as it exists right now is plain F-ed up, and will only get worse if a public option is not implemented. Unlike YOU, there are those who actually care about other people besides themselves.

::)  ::)  ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 05:57:17 AM »
There is no such thing as free health care.  You are paying for it is other ways.     

The ways we pay for it don't hurt us or cause us to go bankrupt in case of illness,
...and it's waaaaaaaaay less expensive.

I'd rather pay a nickel per year, ...and have it available anytime i need it,
...than pay $500 a month, only to be dropped when I actually do need it.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2010, 05:58:24 AM »
::)  ::)  ::)

Don't worry, ...no one finds it at all surprising that you are unable to relate to such a concept.
w