Author Topic: Cool Dinner Trick using a BMW S1000 RR bike...  (Read 3949 times)

APE907

• Getbig III
Re: Cool Dinner Trick using a BMW S1000 RR bike...
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 05:44:36 PM »
i had a ducati in my possesion for over a month last year......i would never pay for one...

bench

I am not surprised to hear this - if I am not mistaken you have spent most of your miles aboard a Japanese inline 4?

I had a Ducati 998r for a couple of weeks a few years ago (Termignoni exhaust, Ohlins fork & shock, Michelins, blah blah blah).  It was a cool bike to ride around for attention but I could never get used to the damn thing.  The throttle had a very abrupt "on-off" feel to it that I just could not adapt to.  I have ridden Jap v-twins like the TL1000s, TL1000r and RC51 and I found ALL of those bikes to have more manageable throttle feel.  The Ducati was certainly pretty to look at and a great conversation starter but for the life of me I just wasn't able to feel comfortable enough on it to ride it quickly.

For me the inline-4 is just a better set up. Probably because I have been riding one since day one.

APE907

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »
Which one, and what did you think of it. Also, what do you and AP think about the Hondas ABS and it's weight gain from it, and. The S1000RR's traction control various modes?

The ABS feature on the Honda seems cool in an engineering bragging rights sort of way but seems totally unnecessary on the street.  I would never in a million years pay extra money for it.  The weight penalty only adds to the negative.  It is impressive technology sure but wait a few years and it is likely ALL of the Big 4 will include ABS at no extra charge.

A lot of motorcycle purists hate the whole idea of ABS on a bike in the first place....I am not sure what to think yet as I have yet to try it......let's just say I am a skeptic at this point.  As a company Honda loves to flex its engineering muscle...at this stage of the ABS game it seems they only include it as an optional feature to illustrate that they are ahead of the other three manufacturers.  Make no mistake Honda takes immense pride in being first to market with engineering advances.  Of the Big 4 they undoubtedly have the most cash for R&D.....that does not necessarily mean that they always make the best bike available to the consumer though.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 05:50:58 PM »
I am not surprised to hear this - if I am not mistaken you have spent most of your miles aboard a Japanese inline 4?

I had a Ducati 998r for a couple of weeks a few years ago (Termignoni exhaust, Ohlins fork & shock, Michelins, blah blah blah).  It was a cool bike to ride around for attention but I could never get used to the damn thing.  The throttle had a very abrupt "on-off" feel to it that I just could not adapt to.  I have ridden Jap v-twins like the TL1000s, TL1000r and RC51 and I found ALL of those bikes to have more manageable throttle feel.  The Ducati was certainly pretty to look at and a great conversation starter but for the life of me I just wasn't able to feel comfortable enough on it to ride it quickly.

For me the inline-4 is just a better set up for me. Probably because I have been riding one since day one.
it just wasnt fun....i own a bike from every jap big 4 except yamaha, and they always deliver....the same could not be said for the ducati...

bench

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 05:52:29 PM »
The ABS feature on the Honda seems cool in an engineering bragging rights sort of way but seems totally unnecessary on the street.  I would never in a million years pay extra money for it.  The weight penalty only adds to the negative.  It is impressive technology sure but wait a few years and it is likely ALL of the Big 4 will include ABS at no extra charge.

A lot of motorcycle purists hate the whole idea of ABS on a bike in the first place....I am not sure what to think yet as I have yet to try it......let's just say I am a skeptic at this point.  As a company Honda loves to flex its engineering muscle...at this stage of the ABS game it seems they only include it as an optional feature to illustrate that they are ahead of the other three manufacturers.  Make no mistake Honda takes immense pride in being first to market with engineering advances.  Of the Big 4 they undoubtedly have the most cash for R&D.....that does not necessarily mean that they always make the best bike available to the consumer though.
i dont like the ABS because i have a specific riding style that i have used for years, and ABS would cause me to change that.......no thanks...

bench

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 06:02:30 PM »
Okay, the weight penalty, some 20+ pounds is alot, and as you said, it seems to be a a way of flexing engineering muscles. Honestly, I think eventually the system will get smaller as it it get perfected by Honda and other companies, it always works out like that.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2010, 06:04:38 PM »
Okay, the weight penalty, some 20+ pounds is alot, and as you said, it seems to be a a way of flexing engineering muscles. Honestly, I think eventually the system will get smaller as it it get perfected by Honda and other companies, it always works out like that.

if it's your first bike...go for it.....but for a seasoned rider it would be taking a step back...

bench