Author Topic: Wal-Mart 'Sympathetic' to Man Fired for Using Medical Pot, but Won't Rehire Him  (Read 2044 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
if thats your rational  how do u explain trying to ban salt and tell me what i can and cant eat  but hey  lets legalize drugs?

I'm not aware of a salt ban...link?...

Just so I know were you stand whats your stance on alcohol & tobacco the two most deadly drugs that kill more people than all street drugs combined....                                                                                         
DAWG

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
and i am educated , i have degrees,   and have succesfully ran a growing business for years , what have you done outside of your moms basement?

and yet you immediately resort to elementary style name calling...
DAWG

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
well i gota dumb things down to your level , or we wouldnt be able to have a conversation

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
I'm not aware of a salt ban...link?...

Just so I know were you stand whats your stance on alcohol & tobacco the two most deadly drugs that kill more people than all street drugs combined....                                                                                         
In NYS - the dems are trying to pass a salt ban as well as a soda tax on all drinks.  I live here and know this first hand.  

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
Some New York City chefs and restaurant owners are taking aim at a bill introduced in the New York Legislature that, if passed, would ban the use of salt in restaurant cooking.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food for consumption by customers of such restaurant, including food prepared to be consumed on the premises of such restaurant or off of such premises," the bill, A. 10129, states in part.

The legislation, which Assemblyman Felix Ortiz, D-Brooklyn, introduced on March 5, would fine restaurants $1,000 for each violation.

"The consumer needs to make their own health choices. Just as doctors and the occasional visit to a hospital can't truly control how a person chooses to maintain their health, neither can chefs nor the occasional visit to a restaurant," said Jeff Nathan, the executive chef and co-owner of Abigael's on Broadway. "Modifying trans fats and sodium intake needs to be home based for optimal health. Regulating restaurants will not solve this health issue."

Nathan is part of the group My Food My Choice, which calls itself a coalition of chefs, restaurant owners, and consumers, called the proposed law "absurd" in a press release issued on its Facebook page.

Continue reading at MyFoxNY.com

this is just one of many articles about big brother wanting to ban things we eat,  but lets legalize drugs  . that makes sense get fucked out of your mind  but dont eat that deadly salt.......

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Some New York City chefs and restaurant owners are taking aim at a bill introduced in the New York Legislature that, if passed, would ban the use of salt in restaurant cooking.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food for consumption by customers of such restaurant, including food prepared to be consumed on the premises of such restaurant or off of such premises," the bill, A. 10129, states in part.

The legislation, which Assemblyman Felix Ortiz, D-Brooklyn, introduced on March 5, would fine restaurants $1,000 for each violation.

"The consumer needs to make their own health choices. Just as doctors and the occasional visit to a hospital can't truly control how a person chooses to maintain their health, neither can chefs nor the occasional visit to a restaurant," said Jeff Nathan, the executive chef and co-owner of Abigael's on Broadway. "Modifying trans fats and sodium intake needs to be home based for optimal health. Regulating restaurants will not solve this health issue."

Nathan is part of the group My Food My Choice, which calls itself a coalition of chefs, restaurant owners, and consumers, called the proposed law "absurd" in a press release issued on its Facebook page.

this is just one of many articles about big brother wanting to ban things we eat,  but lets legalize drugs  . that makes sense get fucked out of your mind  but dont eat that deadly salt.......

This is by far one of the most stupidest bills ever proposed. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Ha ha Ha  Ozmo - live here andit becomes a daily fact of life. 

Just think of Patterson
Massa
Spitzer
Sharpton
Rangle

OzmO

• Getbig V
Ha ha Ha  Ozmo - live here andit becomes a daily fact of life. 

Just think of Patterson
Massa
Spitzer
Sharpton
Rangle

Yeah, I think i was telling you once before.  I have some friends who live in NY state in the buffalo area (Buffalo Chop House rocks!).  All independent business self made millionaires.  In fact I'll probably be doing some work for one of them this year some time.  I spent sometime with them a few years back and they told about the taxes and crap over there.  Unreal.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yeah, I think i was telling you once before.  I have some friends who live in NY state in the buffalo area (Buffalo Chop House rocks!).  All independent business self made millionaires.  In fact I'll probably be doing some work for one of them this year some time.  I spent sometime with them a few years back and they told about the taxes and crap over there.  Unreal.

Where I live specifically, Westchester County - we are now the highest taxed area in the nation.  its truly insane, and the dems are asking for higher taxes.  I am sick of this crap and trying to leave every day, if only my GF would go along too.   :(  :( 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Um lets start. I also have B.S. From Morehouse College and my Post Bacc MD from Emory. Now im at torrance memorial medical jack...well right right now im in my apt in Brentwood...

Dont try and play me chief.

Now that said...What does Walmarts stance on RX Drugs..you are all around the world right now babe

Mal I'm sticking up for your profession in the other thread.  A little gratitude would be nice bro.   ;D    BOOMMMMMM!!!!!! 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Mal I'm sticking up for your profession in the other thread.  A little gratitude would be nice bro.   ;D    BOOMMMMMM!!!!!! 

Lord have mercy..First off...Im not all the way done yet broski...But when i am ill invite you to the parrrrrrrrrr tayyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Also...Bro...im not a damn economist. I dont know shit about all that money shit (even though i did buy ford when it was 1.50/share and now its 13 bucks...boom) i dont know what healthcare bill will do...Shootfighter might be a better one to really consult on this..Around here no MDs talk about it at all

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
I haven't shopped at WalMart in who knows how long.  Their policy of hiring undocumented workers is what made me change.  This is only reason to continue my boycott. 

Good for you, brother.

It's a shame that you can work there without a S.S.#, but if you take your doctor Rx'ed medicine...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

Agree.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way

Thats pretty dumb...

But it dosent justify not legalizing and taxing weed

BodyProSite

• Getbig IV
no it just shows how backwards congress is

OzmO

• Getbig V
no it just shows how backwards congress is

Yeah that is a bit ironic, a movement to make salt illegal and and movement to make pot legal.

What a bunch of idiots. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
ACLU sues Wal-Mart for firing employee using medical marijuana
By Stephanie Chen, CNN
June 29, 2010

(CNN) -- The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit against Wal-Mart for the termination of a Michigan employee whose doctor verified his illness qualified for medical marijuana use.

Wal-Mart, the nation's largest retailer, fired Joseph Casias in November 2009 after he failed an on-the-job injury-related drug test. Casias suffers from a rare form of cancer in his nasal cavity and brain, and he relied on his doctor's medical marijuana prescription to alleviate the daily pain. Casias is one of about 20,000 legal medical marijuana users in Michigan.

"Medical marijuana has had a life-changing positive effect for Joseph, but Wal-Mart made him pay a stiff and unfair price for his medicine," said Scott Michelman, staff attorney with the ACLU Drug Law Reform Project.

"No patient should be forced to choose between adequate pain relief and gainful employment, and no employer should be allowed to intrude upon private medical choices made by employees in consultation with their doctors," Michelman said.

Wal-Mart officials say they are sympathetic to Casias' condition, but the company needed to put the safety of its customers and associates first.

"As more states allow this treatment, employers are left without any guidelines except the federal standard," wrote Lorenzo Lopez, a director of media relations at Wal-Mart, in an e-mail to CNN. "In these cases, until further guidance is available, we will always default to what we believe is the safest environment for our associates and customers."

The ACLU's lawsuit, filed in Calhoun County Circuit Court in Michigan, comes at a time when the controversy over medical marijuana is still being debated in many states. To date, 14 states have laws allowing the use of medical marijuana, which protect legal users from criminalization. But the laws are murky when it comes to protecting users from termination by their employers in some states.

Casias told CNN in March that he never arrived at work high and used the medical marijuana only outside of his work hours.

Michigan is an at-will employment state, which means employers can terminate a worker for any reason except for being in a federally protected class such as race, gender and religion. The ACLU is arguing legal medical marijuana users should also be protected under a Michigan law.

"I was angry they did this to me because I always tried my best," Casias said to CNN in March. He had worked for Wal-Mart for nearly five years to support his wife and two young children. He started at the company as a grocery store stocker in 2004 before moving up to become an inventory control manager. He earned an Associate of the Year Award at Wal-Mart in 2008, a year before his termination.

He has battled with his cancer for more than a decade. The lawsuit says the medical marijuana was able to provide him with pain relief.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/06/29/medical.marijuana.walmart.lawsuit/index.html?iref=NS1