Author Topic: The Greatest Arnold Classic Winner ever  (Read 35198 times)

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
Re: The Greatest Arnold Classic Winner ever
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2010, 07:54:48 PM »
Look at how shitty Nasser looks. He thought that after Dorian retired he might finally achieve Olympia glory, only to have an even freakier beast come along and slam the door shut on Nasser being a relevant BBer

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 10:17:50 PM »
ND, do you have that rare Flex pic I posted? It was the one of him standing and it shows his  back and calves flexed.

SomeKindofMonster

• Getbig III
  • RC is SomeKindOfMonster
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 10:31:48 PM »
Flex Magazines top 5 Arnold winners...

http://www.musclesprod.com/featured/top-5-arnold-classic-physiques/

We weigh in on our five favorite physiques ever to grace the Arnold Classic stage

February 23, 2010

Shawn Perine

This year Columbus, Ohio will play host to the 22nd edition of the Arnold Classic Bodybuilding Championships, a contest second only to the Mr. Olympia in terms of prestige, and one with a great history of its own. Starting in 1989, with Rich Gaspari edging out Robby Robinson for the win, ‘The Arnold’ has seen its share of great bodybuilding champions leave Ohio not just with a massive check in hand, but the knowledge that they were now firmly ensconced forevermore in bodybuilding’s top echelon.

Yet for as high a standard as was reached by each of the dozen men who’ve won the title (which, by the way, is one more than the number who have won the Olympia), a few physiques stand out as paragons of perfection. Below we’ve compiled a list of our five favorites, starting with number five…

5. Jay Cutler (2003)
Because he decided to skip the 2002 Mr. Olympia due to his controversial loss to Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler had a full year to revamp his physique between his first Arnold win in 2002 and what would be his second. Coming in at a hard 255 pounds, Jay won this one over Chris Cormier (whom he relegated to second in all three of his wins), unlike the following year when he slipped by Cormier by a scant point.

4. Kai Greene (2009)
When Kai Greene took the stage at last year’s Arnold Classic a collective gasp emanated from the Veterans Memorial Auditorium. His was one of the most massive, most densely-packed bodies ever to appear in any bodybuilding contest in history. His win was a no-brainer and had he brought the same exacting level of conditioning to the Olympia stage later that year he may well have pushed Jay Cutler hard for top honors.

3. Dexter Jackson (2008)
A case could be made that the best Dexter Jackson we’ve yet to see appeared not at the 2008 Mr. Olympia, which he won, but six months earlier in Columbus. With the exception of his calves there is nothing to criticize about the Jackson physique, and at the 2008 Arnold the rest of the man was so on point that talking about his lower legs would be akin to whistling in the wind. The guy was very, very close to perfect on that day.

2. Flex Wheeler (1993)
Speaking of perfect, when talk in bodybuilding circles turns to physique perfection one of the most mentioned men is Flex Wheeler, the 1993 version of Wheeler in particular. At just 27 and in his rookie year as an IFBB pro, Wheeler brought to bear a physique that was — in a word — beautiful, and that physique saw its apex at that year’s Arnold Classic. It’s worth noting that while his conditioning might not have equaled that of later champs, it was just right for the time.

(The last sentence is interesting to me. I'd like to hear other people's opinion.)

1. Ronnie Coleman (2001)
Of his eight Olympia and overall 26 IFBB professional wins, Ronnie Coleman has established himself as arguably the greatest bodybuilder of all times, and this is the version of his physique is the one most experts point to as being his best. Standing 5′11″ and weighing 247 pounds, Coleman was hyper-muscular, tight, dry and still retained the lines (wasp waist and all) of his amateur days. From head to toe, back to front, he astounded judges, audience and fellow competitors alike. The 2001 AC Coleman was a physique for the ages.

It's hard to go against Flex when you see those pics but I've heard from people that saw the show that Labrada was wider than Flex proportion wise and at 216 he would have a hard time beating a shredded Ronnie at 247.

If bodybuilding is a pure art form then flex should win.
If bodybuilding is a mixture of art, sport, shock and awe, freakshow; then Ronnie should win.

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 11:02:04 PM »
first off that nasser comment was just laughable....

what ken wheeler brought to the ASC stage in 1993 was one of the greatest single-day peaks in the history of bodybuilding

i really can't see where that comment about his conditioning is drawn from, looks at the veins in his back, and how detailed his Xmas tree is.....yesterday, today, anyday....any ifbb pro would be happy bringing that level of conditioning to the stage

once again sharmin......the nasser comment was just laughable , he sucks

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 01:43:43 AM »
Flex Magazines top 5 Arnold winners...

http://www.musclesprod.com/featured/top-5-arnold-classic-physiques/

We weigh in on our five favorite physiques ever to grace the Arnold Classic stage

February 23, 2010

Shawn Perine

This year Columbus, Ohio will play host to the 22nd edition of the Arnold Classic Bodybuilding Championships, a contest second only to the Mr. Olympia in terms of prestige, and one with a great history of its own. Starting in 1989, with Rich Gaspari edging out Robby Robinson for the win, ‘The Arnold’ has seen its share of great bodybuilding champions leave Ohio not just with a massive check in hand, but the knowledge that they were now firmly ensconced forevermore in bodybuilding’s top echelon.

Yet for as high a standard as was reached by each of the dozen men who’ve won the title (which, by the way, is one more than the number who have won the Olympia), a few physiques stand out as paragons of perfection. Below we’ve compiled a list of our five favorites, starting with number five…

5. Jay Cutler (2003)
Because he decided to skip the 2002 Mr. Olympia due to his controversial loss to Ronnie Coleman, Jay Cutler had a full year to revamp his physique between his first Arnold win in 2002 and what would be his second. Coming in at a hard 255 pounds, Jay won this one over Chris Cormier (whom he relegated to second in all three of his wins), unlike the following year when he slipped by Cormier by a scant point.

4. Kai Greene (2009)
When Kai Greene took the stage at last year’s Arnold Classic a collective gasp emanated from the Veterans Memorial Auditorium. His was one of the most massive, most densely-packed bodies ever to appear in any bodybuilding contest in history. His win was a no-brainer and had he brought the same exacting level of conditioning to the Olympia stage later that year he may well have pushed Jay Cutler hard for top honors.

3. Dexter Jackson (2008)
A case could be made that the best Dexter Jackson we’ve yet to see appeared not at the 2008 Mr. Olympia, which he won, but six months earlier in Columbus. With the exception of his calves there is nothing to criticize about the Jackson physique, and at the 2008 Arnold the rest of the man was so on point that talking about his lower legs would be akin to whistling in the wind. The guy was very, very close to perfect on that day.

2. Flex Wheeler (1993)
Speaking of perfect, when talk in bodybuilding circles turns to physique perfection one of the most mentioned men is Flex Wheeler, the 1993 version of Wheeler in particular. At just 27 and in his rookie year as an IFBB pro, Wheeler brought to bear a physique that was — in a word — beautiful, and that physique saw its apex at that year’s Arnold Classic. It’s worth noting that while his conditioning might not have equaled that of later champs, it was just right for the time.

(The last sentence is interesting to me. I'd like to hear other people's opinion.)

1. Ronnie Coleman (2001)
Of his eight Olympia and overall 26 IFBB professional wins, Ronnie Coleman has established himself as arguably the greatest bodybuilder of all times, and this is the version of his physique is the one most experts point to as being his best. Standing 5′11″ and weighing 247 pounds, Coleman was hyper-muscular, tight, dry and still retained the lines (wasp waist and all) of his amateur days. From head to toe, back to front, he astounded judges, audience and fellow competitors alike. The 2001 AC Coleman was a physique for the ages.

It's hard to go against Flex when you see those pics but I've heard from people that saw the show that Labrada was wider than Flex proportion wise and at 216 he would have a hard time beating a shredded Ronnie at 247.

If bodybuilding is a pure art form then flex should win.
If bodybuilding is a mixture of art, sport, shock and awe, freakshow; then Ronnie should win.

NO Nasser?  ???  ;D

and I'm glad that most experts point to it's being Ronnie's best  ;D

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 01:46:13 AM »
ND, do you have that rare Flex pic I posted? It was the one of him standing and it shows his  back and calves flexed.
;D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 01:47:38 AM »
ND, do you have that rare Flex pic I posted? It was the one of him standing and it shows his  back and calves flexed.
Flex was probably the best symmetrical physique of all time combined with size, he got caught in between the times never winning the Mr O because the judging changed to freaks instead of symmetry. I'm sure ND will come up with a pic

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2010, 01:51:42 AM »
agreed.
gut or no gut, these pics are just as incredible:

Flex looked amazing in 93 though.

but Ronnie was the greatest AC winner ever. Hell, even ND's love interest Peter McGough feels Ronnie's AC physique was the best ever. Right after Dorian 1993 pre-contest

Fixed for you  ;D I agree the pics are incredible which is why most experts point to it being his best ever  ;)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 01:54:19 AM »
;D
ND's scanners working overtime, I knew he would come through.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 05:01:37 AM »
Here Team Nasser, I'll help you out and post a pic of Nasser when he looked pretty good.  Still can't beat Flex though 

Torso waaayyy to long,legs way to short.  :-\

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2010, 05:16:11 AM »
how many Hummers did Jay collect at the Arnold, 3?

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2010, 06:04:21 AM »
;D
Thanks, but that's not the one...the one on stage...I thought you saved it, I posted up so you could. I had scanned it.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2010, 06:11:15 AM »
Ronnie is definitely impressive.

But Flex's lines and proportions are just perfect. An example of awesome genetics.

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2010, 06:36:17 AM »
I agree with the Flex top 3.
Greatest Arnold classic winner: Flex Wheeler 1993 or Ronnie Coleman 2001. I personally prefer Flex's physique.
Dexter was also pretty amazing and Shawn too, sadly he wasn't on the list.

I always wonder, what would've happened at the 1993 Olympia had Flex shown up like he did at the Arnold Classic?

Flexb

• Getbig IV
  • word
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 08:39:02 AM »
Flex Wheeler 1998 Arnolds GOAT. Even Arnold said that was the best physique he ever saw on anybody on stage

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 08:57:40 AM »
Nasser's 1999 victory was the most massive at 289 lbs and by far the best Arnold winner.  Wheeler look incredibly small next to him.  Just look at this shot from this 98 Olympia for example.  some people say you couldn't see the size difference between Kenny and Nasser - that's just BS.  perhaps there wasn't much size difference in the arms alone but overall width and thickness the Zebra incredibly lacked next to the Three Times (at least) Uncrowned Mr. Olympia.  

Even Nasser's rear lat spread was wider than Wheeler's.  The only thing Wheeler had on him was detail in the rear double biceps pose.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 11:14:39 AM »
Flex Wheeler 1998 Arnolds GOAT. Even Arnold said that was the best physique he ever saw on anybody on stage
I agree with OAK   but unlike the Oak   Flex never had the look he needed to win the O!     Well I still say he won the O in 99.   But Ronnie prevailed.
((-::

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 11:37:17 AM »
you just don't see separation and detail like that today.  just look at how separated even his triceps are, insane

The best muscle separation, yes.... best torso (front and lats) Ronnie takes it.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 11:51:21 AM »
Here is a snippet of Flex from the 1993 Arnold

as far as Lebrada being wider than Flex proportion wise, there is a snippet of Flex at the Arnold standing beside Lebrada, and it wasn't close. This snippet is on Flex's Mass Construction video.
Also, at the 1993 Mr. O, Flex's waist was as small or smaller than Labrada's was.

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 12:12:36 PM »
Nasser's 1999 victory was the most massive at 289 lbs and by far the best Arnold winner.  Wheeler look incredibly small next to him.  Just look at this shot from this 98 Olympia for example.  some people say you couldn't see the size difference between Kenny and Nasser - that's just BS.  perhaps there wasn't much size difference in the arms alone but overall width and thickness the Zebra incredibly lacked next to the Three Times (at least) Uncrowned Mr. Olympia.  

Even Nasser's rear lat spread was wider than Wheeler's.  The only thing Wheeler had on him was detail in the rear double biceps pose.

Wheeler didnt compete against him in '99 or he would have handed him his ass like he did every year. I would hope his rls would be wider when you outweigh them by 60lbs. Look I thought Nasser was good but from seeing old pics over and over you guys post he looks worse and worse. His back sucked, like amateur bb sucked and knowing how important a back is to a pro thats his fault for hitting it like a bitch.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2010, 12:14:42 PM »
Wheeler didnt compete against him in '99 or he would have handed him his ass like he did every year. I would hope his rls would be wider when you outweigh them by 60lbs. Look I thought Nasser was good but from seeing old pics over and over you guys post he looks worse and worse. His back sucked, like amateur bb sucked and knowing how important a back is to a pro thats his fault for hitting it like a bitch.

Due to judging biases perhaps, but not due to having a better physique.  After all, due to judging biases Yates probably would have won the 98 Olympia if he competed in it (even Ronnie said Yates would have kept winning if he didn't retire) - doesn't mean he has a better physique, just that he would have won

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 12:40:55 PM »

1998 ASC you'd never know Flex is 40+ pounds lighter than Nasser  ;)

MadeYaMelt

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
1998 ASC you'd never know Flex is 40+ pounds lighter than Nasser  ;)

Nasser isn't even in Flex's league right there.  Look at the hamstrings on that guy   :o

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 12:52:26 PM »
two of these guys are under 250 pounds and one of them is WELL over it guess which one  ;D

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2010, 12:53:14 PM »
1998 ASC you'd never know Flex is 40+ pounds lighter than Nasser  ;)

until they hit a rear lat spread, front double bicep, ab-thigh pose, etc. - any pose that shows width...then you see the size difference.

also if you consider that calf implants weigh less than muscle it adds to the difference ;)

BTW Nasser does  look considerably bigger in that side chest shot - bad example.  He is also further from the camera.