Author Topic: Log Pressing  (Read 4582 times)

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
Log Pressing
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:51:12 PM »
Wondering how what you do on a bar translates to these ie if you can do X amount on a bar can you generally do the same with a log or are they alot more difficult?

Maxxx Testosterone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • The ALPHA-MALE
Re: Log Pressing
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
Its very different to press a log. Usually the log have 12inches diameter , so when you clean it , you became short of breath. Its a very different technique. But usually if you have a heavy clean press you can heavy log press.

I find its easier to push an axel overhead than a log at the same weight. And easier with an olympic bar.
Look at the video I axel 305 on the first axel and 315 on the second and its easier than the 295 log i press...

hope this help...
Myghty_max@hotmail.c

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:51:12 PM »
Log is much more difficult when you first start using it, no doubt. When I started the log, I had trouble with 220 but could do a 275 oly bar.

Now I can do nearly the same on each. I have gotten 345 on a bar and 320 on log press. The log keeps getting easier for me and I should probably max out again.

For me, the log gets easier because I cannot get a bar to touch my shoulders, while the log sits perfectly in front of me.

Many people will never log press what they press on an axle or bar. It throws you off balance and is much harder to push your head through at lockout. Also, with the size of the log, it hangs the weight farther in front of you and is harder to jerk for this reason.

You really must give it a try though. Sure to humble any first timer. 

Magnus

• Getbig III
  • my english sucks (not from US)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:34:04 AM »

Jeez, you two are strong as hell!

In this moments I think I chose the wrong sport...quite depressing.

Anyhow many compliments to both of you.

Maxxx Testosterone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • The ALPHA-MALE
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:56:01 AM »
where are you from Magnus?
Myghty_max@hotmail.c

Magnus

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 06:00:54 AM »

Hi Max, I'm from the North of Italy, near Milan and Bologna, and you?

I have the luck that there are almost no strength contests nearby, so I do not embarass myself!

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:24:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys...so from the sounds of things if you never train on a log, just on a bar and enter a contest with that as an event I will probably embarass myself :-\

Magnus

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:41:09 AM »

Why don't you try to build one to do some practice.

If you have a friend which works with metal/wood (like me) you can have it at home: that would be the best solution if you want to master the technique.

Ciao

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 08:48:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys...so from the sounds of things if you never train on a log, just on a bar and enter a contest with that as an event I will probably embarass myself :-\

Not completely. I used DB's with neutral grip for standing OHP for a while to simulate the log. The important part of simulating the movement is to LOCKOUT. This is where most people will have a hard time, just because they have never stabilized a weight, with that grip, extended completely overhead. Try it with DB's; it wont teach you the clean, but that part comes pretty naturally....until you try a max weight anyway. Good luck!

Oh and Magnus, thanks! :D

Tom Mutaffis

• Getbig II
  • Strongman
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 07:57:14 AM »
Wondering how what you do on a bar translates to these ie if you can do X amount on a bar can you generally do the same with a log or are they alot more difficult?

There are too many factors to have a set formula, but in general most people can push press more weight with a barbell than they can with a log.

If you are looking for a way to train that will help to increase your log I would focus on incline dumbbell press, close grip bench press, front squats, and some neutral grip standing DB presses.