Author Topic: Yahoo Sports Pound for Pound Ranking...  (Read 9779 times)

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
Re: Yahoo Sports Pound for Pound Ranking...
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2010, 01:59:09 PM »
brock doesnt stand a chance against fedor at any weight...true story...

Fedor would never take a challenging fight like this anyways :o

He would much rather fight low ranked cans ;D

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2010, 04:38:27 PM »

haha yea as opposed to a guy with 5 hand picked fights...
DAWG

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »
Pointless question....This is not a 'Fantasy MMA' thread. Brock was ill, bedridden for 15 days and still weighed more then 230 lbs.

Brock and Carwin both weigh 280 lbs. in the ring. What's your point?

My point is that Brock and Carwin, i.e. the guys you want Fedor to fight, are nothing without their 50 or so lb weight advantage. That's not true quality.

Also, I don't know what you mean by "this is not a fantasy MMA thread".  The thread is about ranking and comparing fighters regardless of weight, which is abstract, unless you believe a match like Jose Aldo and Bret Rodgers could conceivably happen.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2010, 05:01:14 PM »
brock doesnt stand a chance against fedor at any weight...true story...

I believe Brock stands a chance, but not without his 50 lb advantage.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2010, 05:09:57 PM »

sorry friend but you will find out soon enough he is a paper champion that has been built by media hype and company propaganda.....I don't care how much he weighs He would never beat Fedor....
DAWG

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 05:39:31 PM »
sorry friend but you will find out soon enough he is a paper champion that has been built by media hype and company propaganda.....I don't care how much he weighs He would never beat Fedor....

Well, do you think a 280 lb Brock is theoretically better than a 230 lb Brock?

That's all I'm saying.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 05:59:15 PM »

Fedor will never fight ANY top HW ever again in his career. You can guarantee that. Why would he and risk his status and legacy?
By the way it looks, he should just keep fighting UFC rejects and all will be ok with him in the rankings. Besides Rodgers, that is all he has been fighting the last several years....LITERALLY.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 06:04:40 PM »

You do know that Fedor fights as a HW right? That is 206-265. That is the division he is currently ranked #1 in.
That is exaclty what I am saying. The HW'S in the UFC are a new breed. 280 lbs lean in the octagon. This is not the old pride days.
Fedor knows he does not stand a chance in the UFC HW division.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
You do know that Fedor fights as a HW right? That is 206-265. That is the division he is currently ranked #1 in.
That is exaclty what I am saying. The HW'S in the UFC are a new breed. 280 lbs lean in the ring. This is not the old pride days.
Fedor knows he does not stand a chance in the UFC HW division.

Yeah, I kinda strayed off point.  :)

Not to further complicate things, but, I also believe the HW divsion should be split, e.x. super heavy 230 + or so

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 06:17:06 PM »

Not to further complicate things, but, I also believe the HW divsion should be split, e.x. super heavy 230 + or so

Ok. We can agree on that. Maybe a SuperHW division or something :)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »

I don't think there are enough fighters to fill those spots, but I do agree.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2010, 04:28:02 PM »
1. Anderson Silva
2. Georges St. Pierre
3. Fedor Emelianenko
4. B.J. Penn
5. Lyoto Machida
6. Jose Aldo
7. Mauricio Rua
8. Gegard Mousasi
9. Dan Henderson
10. Dominick Cruz

I don't agree with many of these, like Cruz at 10 or Mousasi at 8, but overall it's pretty good.

hahaha so you admit fedor should be the number 1 heavyweight

owned 8)

E
E

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2010, 06:47:05 PM »

Last year he was scheduled to fight Barnett who was ranked #2 behind only Fedor.

Does that sound like someone afraid to fight talented HW's?

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2010, 07:31:18 PM »
Last year he was scheduled to fight Barnett who was ranked #2 behind only Fedor.

Does that sound like someone afraid to fight talented HW's?

your wasting your time...you cant tell these fools nuthin...Fedor has fought more top 10 ranked fighters than any other fighter in MMA history...
DAWG

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2010, 08:33:14 PM »
your wasting your time...you cant tell these fools nuthin...Fedor has fought more top 10 ranked fighters than any other fighter in MMA history...
Link?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

big L dawg

• Getbig V
DAWG

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2010, 09:28:30 PM »
http://www.mmamania.com/2010/4/2/1401775/the-numbers-behind-fedors-current

Great article. Shame it will be avoided by Mindspin and his dickhead gimmick account.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2010, 09:29:10 PM »
The numbers behind Fedor's current #1 Ranking

Tiny by StrikerDave on Apr 2, 2010

4/2/10

"Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink." There have been several postings over the last few months concerning Fedor Emelianenko's current ranking as the #1 HW in the world. Rather than debate for hours on end (like I have been) I have decided to find third party historical data in order to examine the numbers behind Fedor's current ranking. As many of you who I have debated know, I do not always agree with the rankings of the various websites. However, I beleive that using a third party resource is best to accurately gauge the current HW MMA rankings because it will not reflect my personal opinions.

I have decided to use the Consensus Rankings* posted on bloodyelbow.com for the ranking data. Prior to the Consensus Rankings, bloodyelbow.com posted MMA Meta-Rankings*. I have used the MMA Meta-Rankings for the rankings prior to posting of the Consensus Ranking.   Again, I do not personally agree with all of the rankings on this website but I believe this is the best way to remove my opinion from the equation.

Star-divide

For fight outcomes, fighter records, and fight dates I used the Fighter Finder database @ sherdog.com. This is widely considered to be the largest, most accurate database of MMA fights on the internet.

It is widely considered that Fedor Emelianenko is the greatest HW mixed Martial Artist of all time. His MMA record is 31-1-0 (1 NC). The one loss was a doctor stoppage due to a cut; Fedor has never been defeated by a Submission, Decision, or been knocked out. He has won his last 27 fights in a row at HW. This is a record at HW for major MMA promotions. During this streak he has captured the Pride FC HW championship and the controversial WAMMA HW championship. Also during this streak, Fedor has defeated 6 former or future UFC HW champions, 1 Pride HW champion, 1 Strikeforce champion, 1 Pride OWGP champion, a 4-time K1 World GP champion, 3 NCAA Division 1 wrestlers, 5 K1 competitors, and at least 3 BJJ black belts. An extremely legitimate list of competitors.

Once the Pride FC and Affliction promotions folded, Fedor signed with the Strikeforce promotion. However, the UFC is widely considered to have the top HW fighters on their roster. The question then arises: Is Fedor still the #1 ranked HW in the world? Is Fedor facing tough enough competition to still deserve the #1 ranking?

Recently on this blog (MMAmania.com) several questions and statements have been made to challenge Fedor's current ranking.

Claim: Fedor hasn't fought top competition lately.

In the last two years, Fedor has had three fights and gone 3-0. At the time of the fights, his opponents had the following ranking immediately prior to the fight:

Opponent/Date: Tim Sylvia, Affliction – Banned , 7/19/2008

Opponents Ranking Prior to that fight:  5

Source: (click here)

Outcome: Win, Submission (Rear-Naked Choke), 0:36, RD1

Opponent/Date: Andra Arlovski, Affliction – Day of Reckoning , 1/24/2009

Opponents Ranking Prior to that fight:  2

Outcome: Win, KO, 3:14, RD 1

Opponent/Date: Brett Rogers, Strikeforce - Lawler vs. Sheilds 11/7/2009

Opponents Ranking Prior to that fight:  8

Outcome: Win, TKO, 1:48, RD 2

Conclusion: Mathematically speaking, Fedor has fought the highest ranked competition of all ranked HW fighters in the last 2 years and has a 3–0 record. Other noteworthy HW fighters (rankings of opponents immediately prior to fight; record in those fights) U= not ranked in the top ten immediately prior to the fight: Noguiera (10, 5, 6; 1-2), Sylvia (1, U, U;1-2), Mir (2, 5, U, 6; 2-2), Couture, HW fights only(U, 5; 0-2), Lesnar (U, 7, 3; 3-0), Barnett (U, U, U, U; 4-0), Arlovski (U, U, 1, U; 2-2)

Claim: Fedor is avoiding fighters ranked in the top 5.

In the last two years, Fedor has had 4 fights scheduled to happen; the three listed above and one that was scheduled for Aug 1, 2009 against Josh Barnett. The fight was cancelled on July 22, 2009 when Josh Barnett was denied his license to compete by the California State Athletic Commission after testing positive for anabolic steroids. This was no fault of Fedor's. On the ranking list prior to July 22, 2009 Josh Barnett was ranked #2.  Source: (click here)

Conclusion: In the last two years,  Fedor has in fact accepted more fights (3) against opponents ranked in the top 5 immediately prior to the fight than any other HW fighter. (Runner up: Mir w/2).

Claim: Fedor will need to fight against opponents ranked in the top 5 in order to maintain his #1 ranking.

In the last two years, there have been 5 fights between opponents that are both ranked in the top 5 at the same time (Fedor/Sylvia, Fedor/Arlovski, Noguiera/Mir, Mir/Lesnar, Velasquez/Noguiera). There have been a total of 18 unique fights that involved a fighter ranked in the top 5 that was against someone not in the top 5. A total of 23 fights involving a fighter ranked in the top 5 immediately prior to the fight. So, 22% of the fights involving a top 5 ranked fighter were against another top 5 ranked fighter. In the last two years Fedor has been scheduled to fight 75% of his fights against fighters ranked in the top 5 immediately prior to the fight.

Conclusion: Fedor is way ahead of the industry standard, however he will need to fight a fighter ranked in the top 5 (immediately prior to that fight) within his next 3 fights in order to stay above the industry standard of 22%. If he doesn't fight a top 5 fighter until his 4th fight, he will only be 2% below the industry standard (20%).

Overall conclusion:

So based on the historical, verifiable data, in the last two years Fedor has: 1) ...fought the mathematically highest ranked set of opponents compared to all other HW fighters and maintained an undefeated record (3-0).  2) ...accepted fights against the highest ranking set of HW fighters, including 3 in the top 5. Something no other fighter has done in the same time period. 3) ...fought a higher rate of top five opponents than the industry (53% higher rate) and will have 3 fights to fight another top 5 ranked fighter in order to remain above the industry standard.
DAWG

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »
I take that back though there is one other fighter in the history of MMA to have fought "as many top 10 ranked opponets...

In the HISTORY of the UFC, post and pre Zuffa, there has been one other fighter to fight as many top 10 ranked opponents(ranked top ten at time of fight) as much as Fedor, and that's GSP.GSP is 8-2 against top 10 opponents, while Fedor is 10-0.
DAWG

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2010, 09:43:46 PM »
Informative and impressive.

Like someone in the comments area said........look what has become of Tim Sylvia and I would never have put Arlovski at #2 or Rogers at #8.......so...."Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink."

BTW Fedor is running out of opponents in the top ten that aren't in the UFC real quick.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2010, 09:45:25 PM »

Like someone in the comments area said........look what has become of Tim Sylvia and I would never have put Arlovski at #2 or Rogers at #8.......so...."Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink."

BTW Fedor is running out of opponents in the top ten that aren't in the UFC real quick.

Regardless of what they have become, they were #2 and #8 at the time that Fedor fought them and that's all that matters. Chuck Liddell is a washed up can now. Does that diminish the victories of anyone who beat him? Same goes for any other fighter for that matter.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2010, 09:53:14 PM »

alister Overeem and josh barnett are the 2 biggest threats in my opinion to take out Fedor....
DAWG

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2010, 10:06:14 PM »
Regardless of what they have become, they were #2 and #8 at the time that Fedor fought them and that's all that matters. Chuck Liddell is a washed up can now. Does that diminish the victories of anyone who beat him? Same goes for any other fighter for that matter.
Maybe not those from the past, but certainly plays into any future losses.

I can agree with Alistair but I don't see Barnett fighting any time soon at least not in the US. And to be honest, his last fight left me very unimpressed.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2010, 08:12:06 AM »
How does it play into certain losses? It's unreasonable to expect a fighter to stay at their peak over the course of years. Sylvia and Arlovski were once the toast of the HW division and hailed as Gods by UFC fanboys. They were still highly regarded when they fought Fedor. They both lost.

Fact of the matter is that Fedor has fought better competition than any recent HW has. So much for the vaunted UFC HW division.

As far as I'm concerned, Brock Lesnar vacated any right he had to the #1 ranking when he faked an illness and will end up having taken 1+ years off from fighting.

Can you please post me the source showing where Brock faked his illness? You post this often....I would like to see proof.

Mindspin already spanked your ass warned you about fighter bashing and lying.

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2010, 04:53:23 PM »
This is obvious.

But they dont pay all that marketing money for nothing! They do it cause it's effective. Reason? most ppl dont think for them selves, ppl are trained to  wait for some one else to (validate them/Tell em what to do or think). If your not an inqusitive person who knows what cult tactics are, then it is easy to fill your brain with what ever disiers info or out look they want, So they do!

The brainwashed are suppose to give the smart ppl a hard time, so they dont talk smart anymore it's not cool right?
And as soon as it's not cool to think or have feelings, they've got you!

P