Author Topic: Old Strongman Lifts  (Read 19410 times)

Figo

• Getbig V
Re: Old Strongman Lifts
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2010, 12:29:25 PM »
Well sorry i gave them a reality check. Somebody had to.

doesnt work. They refuse to wake up. Each to their own.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »

Grimek, Reeves and the other york boys all did test and dbol in the 30's.

The developments of synthetic test was still in its infancy.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2010, 03:06:02 PM »
Funny enough, I was paging through Unleashing the wild physique today! :)
Gironda wasnt loved by many, but was a living legend, and still talked about years after his passing.
He loved what he did, and in his own way, was probably content.
Definitely knew his bodybuilding.

Yea the dude was an asshole but knew some good stuff.

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
  • "You've got size, but you don't have my size!"
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2010, 03:50:18 PM »
doesnt work. They refuse to wake up. Each to their own.

Never understood the hype behind Reeves. To me he was just a well toned and tanned pretty boy. The kind of physique that would attract alot of gays. Park was much bigger, stronger, rugged looking and had way more muscle density and size than Reeves. He had more of an impressive 'herculean' power looking physique, which really stood out to me. Not to mention one of the best chests/ribcages ever especially for that time.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2010, 03:51:45 PM »
Never understood the hype behind Reeves. To me he was just a well toned and tanned pretty boy. The kind of physique that would attract alot of gays. Park was much bigger, stronger, rugged looking and had way more muscle density and size than Reeves. He had more of an impressive 'herculean' power looking physique, which really stood out to me. Not to mention one of the best chests/ribcages ever especially for that time.
X2 Reeves was a "pretty boy" not taking away from him but his looks got him a long way.

LurkyLurker

• Getbig III
  • Advices
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2010, 04:08:55 PM »
Yea the dude was an asshole but knew some good stuff.

Somebody please explain to me what Gironda actually knew. He was good at promoting himself as a guru. But if a guru were to forbid his clients from ever squatting and told them to eat massive amounts of dessicated liver, lecithin and raw eggs today he'd be Getbig fodder. Especially if he's also alcoholic, covers the walls of his gym with his own photos and wears leopard print posing trunks.

I know we all say by default that Vince was a genius, but what specifically did he pioneer that resulted in a quantum leap in physiques?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2010, 04:15:26 PM »
Somebody please explain to me what Gironda actually knew. He was good at promoting himself as a guru. But if a guru were to forbid his clients from ever squatting and told them to eat massive amounts of dessicated liver, lecithin and raw eggs today he'd be Getbig fodder. Especially if he's also alcoholic, covers the walls of his gym with his own photos and wears leopard print posing trunks.

I know we all say by default that Vince was a genius, but what specifically did he pioneer that resulted in a quantum leap in physiques?
Good question, I guess he trained many champions like Larry Scott and Arnold and he himself was in great shape into his mid forties. Was he an alcoholic I never heard that?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2010, 05:25:47 PM »
With Girondia, it was probably a case of right place/right time. Back when he was famous, there weren't many bodybuilding gyms, most were more Olympic Lifting oriented. Not many gyms, total, come to think of it.

He had an excellent physique for his time, his gym had many stars come through it, etc.....= boom, instant guru status.

Also, if you look through old mags, his advice on nutrition is consistant with others of the time. Just as many quacks then, as there are now.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2010, 05:39:34 PM »
Gironda was one of the few genuine authorities on hypertrophy. He was a keen observer and trained himself so he knew muscles and which exercises were effective. He also helped develop various training protocols that became accepted by the champions. 10 X 10 and 8 X 8 for example. He wrote for muscle magazines and that helped establish his reputation as a guru. Even when he was old he would be asked questions about training wherever he went. He said that bodybuilders always wanted information. Gironda also knew a lot about nutrition and how to get guys into contest shape.

He had a rather basic gym in North Hollywood but it was effective. He owed a lot of his success to having various champions and stars train at his gym. He did know how to get quick results for various actors who needed to put on some size for various parts in movies.

Today you would describe his gym as poorly equipped and rather spartan. However, he had lots of unusual but effective apparatus that he used to good effect. I don't think he installed enough new machines to keep his place current and eventually he had to shut his gym which was a real shame.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2010, 05:52:15 PM »
Gironda was one of the few genuine authorities on hypertrophy. He was a keen observer and trained himself so he knew muscles and which exercises were effective. He also helped develop various training protocols that became accepted by the champions. 10 X 10 and 8 X 8 for example. He wrote for muscle magazines and that helped establish his reputation as a guru. Even when he was old he would be asked questions about training wherever he went. He said that bodybuilders always wanted information. Gironda also knew a lot about nutrition and how to get guys into contest shape.

He had a rather basic gym in North Hollywood but it was effective. He owed a lot of his success to having various champions and stars train at his gym. He did know how to get quick results for various actors who needed to put on some size for various parts in movies.

Today you would describe his gym as poorly equipped and rather spartan. However, he had lots of unusual but effective apparatus that he used to good effect. I don't think he installed enough new machines to keep his place current and eventually he had to shut his gym which was a real shame.

Good stuff Basile this old stuff is interesting.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2010, 06:09:01 PM »
When I visited LA for the first time in October 1968 I was amazed at all the gyms I saw everywhere. Well, most were health clubs but there were a lot of them compared to what I was used to in Vancouver. I drove down a well known street and saw quite a few gyms close together. I wondered how all of them could be making a profit. Joe Gold and Vince Gironda had gyms that catered to bodybuilders and that wasn't at all common. I think those with money thought the opposite and had clubs that musclemen didn't or wouldn't frequent. There was a basement pit kind of gym in Santa Monica that some muscle guys and powerlifters used. I think I saw Peanuts West and George Frenn there. I had to laugh at one well known bodybuilder who told me he wouldn't train in any gym that allowed blacks in! His first name was George and he hung around the old Muscle Beach at Santa Monica. Arnold was there in those days, too.

The Loprinzi brothers had a great gym in Portland, Oregon and it was featured in a book about how to be a success in the gym business. Bill Pearl had a gym in LA as well at that time as did one or two other bodybuilders. Vince's Gym was the first that I remember that actually sold T-shirts and singlets with their logo on them via the magazines. Gironda wrote courses so had a good mail order business in those days. His personality probably prevented him from being more successful. He did speak his mind and never kissed anyone's butt. He was definitely what we would call a real expert in most things to do with gyms and training.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2010, 06:28:56 PM »

he wasnt impressive for sheer 'size' but rather that he had perfect proportions, and symmetry, and realistically attainable, non-juiced muscle size. he was (no homo) the genetically perfect male, 6-1, wide clavicles, 29 in waist, full shapely calves, perfectly proportioned/developed legs, small waist with Zero fat, low lat insertions and ridiculous v-taper, great genes for basically everything, if i could swap bodies with anyone ever it would be steve reeves

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2010, 11:46:13 PM »
When I visited LA for the first time in October 1968 I was amazed at all the gyms I saw everywhere. Well, most were health clubs but there were a lot of them compared to what I was used to in Vancouver. I drove down a well known street and saw quite a few gyms close together. I wondered how all of them could be making a profit. Joe Gold and Vince Gironda had gyms that catered to bodybuilders and that wasn't at all common. I think those with money thought the opposite and had clubs that musclemen didn't or wouldn't frequent. There was a basement pit kind of gym in Santa Monica that some muscle guys and powerlifters used. I think I saw Peanuts West and George Frenn there. I had to laugh at one well known bodybuilder who told me he wouldn't train in any gym that allowed blacks in! His first name was George and he hung around the old Muscle Beach at Santa Monica. Arnold was there in those days, too.

The Loprinzi brothers had a great gym in Portland, Oregon and it was featured in a book about how to be a success in the gym business. Bill Pearl had a gym in LA as well at that time as did one or two other bodybuilders. Vince's Gym was the first that I remember that actually sold T-shirts and singlets with their logo on them via the magazines. Gironda wrote courses so had a good mail order business in those days. His personality probably prevented him from being more successful. He did speak his mind and never kissed anyone's butt. He was definitely what we would call a real expert in most things to do with gyms and training.

Damn I love this old stuff its like history lesson. What about Armand Tanny ?

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2010, 01:21:59 AM »
Very proportionate flowing physique, everything was in proportion. His good looks didnt hurt. Great shape, everything, the squared off chest with upper and lower development, the flaring lats and small waist, sweep in the thighs, good calves, wide clavicles...
great genetics, and he claimed intellegent training. Maybe was just lucky to train and look like that, who knows..?
 The forerunner to Zane, Paris, Benfatto and er, umm, whoever is proportionate, symmetrical and flowing today...
And let me re-open this one... Reeves DID at some time in his career, do aas. Probably throughout career. Same old thing, just because it "seems" an attainable physique, everyone assumes its natural.
Grimek, and especially Pearl too. Only genetic marvel those days, I believe nattie and hard worker was Bob Gajda.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2010, 01:24:33 AM »
The developments of synthetic test was still in its infancy.

synthetic testosterone was in its infancy in late 1800's. Thats when they first started experimenting human trials as a youth elixir , before bbers discovered its unique "properties".

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2010, 01:31:30 AM »
I met Armand at Santa Monica Beach. Smart guy. A philosopher. I am sure I would have made friends with him had I stayed in LA. He told me that guys like him earned the right to look idle on that scene because they had jobs and knew the place. Joe W looked after the guys from back east and Armand was a writer for the Weider mags. If Joe didn't then Joe Gold did. Everyone knew everyone and it wasn't easy to get accepted. You had to be around for a while. I recall that in 1969 I wanted to play volleyball on Joe's team at the beach but that wasn't possible because the teams were already made up. Heck, I was good at sport and loved playing them. Venice was great in those days because you could park in the lot right at the beach. No damn parking fees. There was a huge lot there and even a small cafe where you could get a good meal real cheap. There was a basketball court there, some gymnastic equipment and some other courts for handball, I think. You would find Arnold and the gang hanging out there. This was October 1968. Arnold fancied the bigger gals, too, but didn't take them to the beach. So he had some for show and some for good times. Heck that guy had heaps of chicks. In Hawaii in Feb 1969 I saw him with an Asian gal in the morning and some other bird later on. He used to have no trouble picking up gals. When he was new to a place he would get guys to set him up. So he was always on the go and never ashamed to be ready for action.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2010, 02:45:47 AM »
Very proportionate flowing physique, everything was in proportion. His good looks didnt hurt. Great shape, everything, the squared off chest with upper and lower development, the flaring lats and small waist, sweep in the thighs, good calves, wide clavicles...
great genetics, and he claimed intellegent training. Maybe was just lucky to train and look like that, who knows..?
 The forerunner to Zane, Paris, Benfatto and er, umm, whoever is proportionate, symmetrical and flowing today...
And let me re-open this one... Reeves DID at some time in his career, do aas. Probably throughout career. Same old thing, just because it "seems" an attainable physique, everyone assumes its natural.
Grimek, and especially Pearl too. Only genetic marvel those days, I believe nattie and hard worker was Bob Gajda.
Bob Gajda another great one got any pics of him?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2010, 02:50:06 AM »
I met Armand at Santa Monica Beach. Smart guy. A philosopher. I am sure I would have made friends with him had I stayed in LA. He told me that guys like him earned the right to look idle on that scene because they had jobs and knew the place. Joe W looked after the guys from back east and Armand was a writer for the Weider mags. If Joe didn't then Joe Gold did. Everyone knew everyone and it wasn't easy to get accepted. You had to be around for a while. I recall that in 1969 I wanted to play volleyball on Joe's team at the beach but that wasn't possible because the teams were already made up. Heck, I was good at sport and loved playing them. Venice was great in those days because you could park in the lot right at the beach. No damn parking fees. There was a huge lot there and even a small cafe where you could get a good meal real cheap. There was a basketball court there, some gymnastic equipment and some other courts for handball, I think. You would find Arnold and the gang hanging out there. This was October 1968. Arnold fancied the bigger gals, too, but didn't take them to the beach. So he had some for show and some for good times. Heck that guy had heaps of chicks. In Hawaii in Feb 1969 I saw him with an Asian gal in the morning and some other bird later on. He used to have no trouble picking up gals. When he was new to a place he would get guys to set him up. So he was always on the go and never ashamed to be ready for action.
I wished I had lived back then to see some of this stuff. Great stuff before everything got out of control. I trained with Mentzer once in 2000 in Venice he was a smart dude that went crazy from all the bullshit and drugs of course after the workout we sat outside while he smoked and talked about some of his experiences he died a year later sad story.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2010, 03:02:00 AM »
I never talked to Gironda before.  Stopped by his gym one day back in the 80's just to see it as me a few friends were driving around and he was there but never said anything.  Saw Steve Reeves while in Hawaii but never talked to him either.  Brad Harris was an actor/BB that I talked to alot back at the original World Gym.  Of course Bill Pearl is someone who I like alot.  he is the nicest guy there is.  And man did he look good or what and still does.  Training back in the 70's and 80's was the best time ever.  Being young and energetic helps too.  It is hard to keep that fire going into your 40's and 50's.  I give huge credit to the guys that can do it.  It is almost like I wore myself out.  It's alot harder to get the fire going these days.  You young guys missed a great time in the industry.  It's to bad it can't be simple like it was.
No Worries 4 me

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2010, 03:16:06 AM »
Pic of Vince Gironda at age 45.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2010, 03:44:36 AM »
Keith, the motivation wears even thinner when you are past retirement age! It all seems so vain and it is hard work to keep plugging away and not miss a workout. I look back at the years and years where I seldom missed a workout and was keen to keep at it. Zabo said there was no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow in bodybuilding but Arnold and a few others made some good money. Nobody predicted that the franchaise business re gyms would explode. It took special entrepreneurs because most people don't have that gift to make money out of good ideas. At best we make a living and stay in business.

Bill Pearl is a nice bloke and I think he did just about everything possible in the Irongame without selling his soul. He always is pleasant and rarely says anything bad about anyone. He sold his gym a long time ago so must have done well. Larry Scott had the world at his feet then turned his back on bodybuilding for a while. It was probably related to his first wife who didn't seem to approve of the muscle stuff. A pity because he had the body, looks and a brain. He was trained as an engineer. No, Goodrum, not the kind that drives a locomotive on the railway but a university graduate! I saw Larry in that ridiculous Muscle Beach Party and I have to say it was embarrassing to watch and not at all funny. No way I would have done that role if I were in Larry's shoes!

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2010, 04:04:10 AM »
Bob Gajda another great one got any pics of him?

Terry Strand knows him and a lot of other chicago bbers incl Sergio.

If he sees this, has the time or inclination, maybe he can start a thread for us... ???

LurkyLurker

• Getbig III
  • Advices
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2010, 11:49:25 AM »

What I don't get is those who look at Reeves' physique and don't see how it's one in a billion. 6'1", 215 lbs, 18" arms, 18" calves, 18" neck- wide-ass shoulders and a tiny waist. And this was 60 years ago- long before the parents of most getbiggers were born. For all the talk about how drugs are solely responsible for today's physiques, imagine transporting all of today's pros back to 1950, with the knowledge and supps they had then and comparing them to Reeves. Or imagine bringing Reeves into 2010 and putting him through the paces of the current crop. The guy would dominate.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2010, 12:07:48 PM »
What I don't get is those who look at Reeves' physique and don't see how it's one in a billion. 6'1", 215 lbs, 18" arms, 18" calves, 18" neck- wide-ass shoulders and a tiny waist. And this was 60 years ago- long before the parents of most getbiggers were born. For all the talk about how drugs are solely responsible for today's physiques, imagine transporting all of today's pros back to 1950, with the knowledge and supps they had then and comparing them to Reeves. Or imagine bringing Reeves into 2010 and putting him through the paces of the current crop. The guy would dominate.

Anyone who doesn't think Steve Reeves looks absolutely awesome and perfect in every way is just jealous and trying to find faults to make themselves feel better. I am about as far away from being gay as you can get and I gotta tell you that guy has the perfect body and perfect features.  I regularly am in contact with his god daughter who also is beautiful and this guy was the man. 
No Worries 4 me

geneticmarvel

• Getbig III
  • "You've got size, but you don't have my size!"
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2010, 01:22:50 PM »
Anyone who doesn't think Steve Reeves looks absolutely awesome and perfect in every way is just jealous and trying to find faults to make themselves feel better. I am about as far away from being gay as you can get and I gotta tell you that guy has the perfect body and perfect features.  I regularly am in contact with his god daughter who also is beautiful and this guy was the man.  

I'm not jealous or delusional, I just think Reeves wasnt on the same level as Park. Like comparing a top amateur to a top pro. Now he wasnt necessarily a small guy, but If he ever crossed paths with Reg on the beach you can be sure nobody would even notice Reeves behind the massive chest and lats of Park. Its all personal preference, but I'd just rather have the larger more imposing powerhouse physique Reg had. Its just more impressive to me. Besides, he was a man's man so how could anyone not look up to him.