Author Topic: The Book of Eli (spoilers included)  (Read 9570 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: The Book of Eli
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2010, 02:21:19 PM »
I know it wasn't you Beach.    :)

Thanks.   :)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2010, 11:53:12 PM »
What makes you think Gary Oldham's line flew right under our radar?  Atheists have always said that about the Bible and atheists will always say that.  We know that and we don't care.

Am I to take it then that the only reason you enjoyed this movie was because of the religious undertones? 

Apparently, a good number of references to the Bible and to Christianity in the movie flew right under your radar.  It's a wonder you enjoyed the movie as much as you did.

No wonder, ...that was probably why.  :D

w

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2010, 10:02:29 AM »
Am I to take it then that the only reason you enjoyed this movie was because of the religious undertones? 

Why'd you run off from this thread? Can't dig yourself out of the hole?  ::)

Fury

• Getbig V
Re: The Book of Eli (spoilers included)
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2010, 08:31:30 AM »
Bump for the lazy-eyed chick running from this thread.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2010, 10:18:40 AM »

For me, the Christian undertones were a very nice surprise and made it much more than just a decent action film with cool fight scenes.

::)

You do know Denzel Washington is an evangelical and the son of an evangelical preacher, don't you?

I FVCKING HATE DELUSIONAL EVANGELICALS  >:(

You are fvcking certifiable in your delusion & denial.
It's the goddamn evangelicals who make it a political issue. Get real!!!

I will welcome the day that religion is forced underground!

Any evangelical I off, is gonna be one who trys imposing themself on me. There's a big difference.

It's like someone on here once said "I'll shoot the fvckers if I have to."

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2010, 07:59:56 PM »
For me, the Christian undertones were a very nice surprise and made it much more than just a decent action film with cool fight scenes.

::)

I kind of felt the same way... like there was some depth & brains behind it rather than all brawn.

You do know Denzel Washington is an evangelical and the son of an evangelical preacher, don't you?

No I didn't know that, ...what a pleasant surprise to discover.

Loco, I think there is some misunderstanding here on your part.

The animosity I feel is not towards those who classify themselves as evangelical in demonination.

My animosity is towards those who I classify as evangelical based upon their actions... whether they be Christians, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, Jehovahs Witnesses, Atheists... or followers of the Flying Spaghetti monster. If they cannot leave well enough alone when told to back off... we will most definately have a conflict... one in which I will not hesitate to cause them to back up.
w

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2010, 05:25:29 AM »
I kind of felt the same way... like there was some depth & brains behind it rather than all brawn.

You had just previously admitted that you missed the Christian undertones and that is why you enjoyed the film.

No I didn't know that, ...what a pleasant surprise to discover.

A "pleasant" surprise?  Really?  After all you said about evangelicals before?

Loco, I think there is some misunderstanding here on your part.

The animosity I feel is not towards those who classify themselves as evangelical in demonination.

My animosity is towards those who I classify as evangelical based upon their actions... whether they be Christians, Jews, Muslims, Mormons, Jehovahs Witnesses, Atheists... or followers of the Flying Spaghetti monster. If they cannot leave well enough alone when told to back off... we will most definately have a conflict... one in which I will not hesitate to cause them to back up.

No, there is no misunderstanding on my part.  Your hate toward evangelicals is very clear in your posts.  You said that you welcome the day when religion will be forced underground.  So you want to take our freedom.  You said that you hate evangelicals and that you will murder them if they knock on your door to share The Good News about Jesus Christ to you.  So you want to take our life too.

On His last days on earth, Jesus commanded us as follows:

Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

Mark 16:15
He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation

Evangelical comes from the word Evangelio, which means Gospel or The Good News.  An Evangelical is a bringer of The Good News about Jesus Christ.  That is what we are, and that is what we do.  That is what Denzel Washington and his father are, and that is what they do.

Maybe you like Denzel Washington a lot, and maybe you have a lot of respect for him.  Maybe now that you know that he is an evangelical, your opinion of evangelicals is beginning to change.  Nothing wrong with that!  But don't come here now and tell me that there is a misunderstanding on my part concerning your previews posts about evangelicals.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2010, 09:02:18 AM »
Damn, the lazy-eyed retard getting smacked all over this thread. What a brutally pathetic self-owning with Denzel turning out to be from the group of people she wants to kill.

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »
Damn, the lazy-eyed retard getting smacked all over this thread. What a brutally pathetic self-owning with Denzel turning out to be from the group of people she wants to kill.

QFT

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2010, 09:05:08 PM »
Berzerk is 100% right on, it's clearly obvious Eli is blind if you watch the movie, he memorizes a BRAILLE bible for fuck's sake...and is wearing glasses designed for the blind throughout the whole movie, what movie were you people watching ?!?!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2010, 05:01:03 AM »
You had just previously admitted that you missed the Christian undertones and that is why you enjoyed the film.

I was being sarcastic and facetious.

A "pleasant" surprise?  Really?  After all you said about evangelicals before?

Yes, it is a pleasant surprise. It is pleasing to me to meet a man of faith who does not push his faith on others, or ram it down the throats of others. That pleases me.

No, there is no misunderstanding on my part.  Your hate toward evangelicals is very clear in your posts.  You said that you welcome the day when religion will be forced underground.  So you want to take our freedom.  You said that you hate evangelicals and that you will murder them if they knock on your door to share The Good News about Jesus Christ to you.  So you want to take our life too.

You are choosing to believe what you want to believe, and I'm done clarifying myself.
If you do not understand, it is because you choose not to.

On His last days on earth, Jesus commanded us as follows:

Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.

Mark 16:15
He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation

Where did he command that people make absolute pests of themselves in the process?

Jesus taught his disciples to be "fishers of men"... to lure men, not repell the fvck out of them.
If one were following Jesus' commandment, they would lure me... make me want to know more about what they have to say, ...not repell me, stalk me, harass me walking down the street, and make me want to rip their tongues out of their mouths.

Evangelical comes from the word Evangelio, which means Gospel or The Good News.  An Evangelical is a bringer of The Good News about Jesus Christ.  That is what we are, and that is what we do.  That is what Denzel Washington and his father are, and that is what they do.

Maybe you like Denzel Washington a lot, and maybe you have a lot of respect for him.  Maybe now that you know that he is an evangelical, your opinion of evangelicals is beginning to change.  Nothing wrong with that!  But don't come here now and tell me that there is a misunderstanding on my part concerning your previews posts about evangelicals.

I gave you my definition of evangelicals, and why I can't stand them. My disdain is for them, not religion, but rather the way they choose to force their religion on others whatever religion they follow. They are the ones I can't stand. My opinion of those who force their brand of religion down the throats of others has NOT changed and will not change regardless of who is reported to be of whatever religion.
w

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2010, 05:42:53 AM »
I was being sarcastic and facetious.

Yes, it is a pleasant surprise. It is pleasing to me to meet a man of faith who does not push his faith on others, or ram it down the throats of others. That pleases me.

You are choosing to believe what you want to believe, and I'm done clarifying myself.
If you do not understand, it is because you choose not to.

Where did he command that people make absolute pests of themselves in the process?

Jesus taught his disciples to be "fishers of men"... to lure men, not repell the fvck out of them.
If one were following Jesus' commandment, they would lure me... make me want to know more about what they have to say, ...not repell me, stalk me, harass me walking down the street, and make me want to rip their tongues out of their mouths.

I gave you my definition of evangelicals, and why I can't stand them. My disdain is for them, not religion, but rather the way they choose to force their religion on others whatever religion they follow. They are the ones I can't stand. My opinion of those who force their brand of religion down the throats of others has NOT changed and will not change regardless of who is reported to be of whatever religion.

You are the one who made the blanket statement that evangelicals in general "force" the Gospel on other people.  Obviously, few evangelicals do that relative to the number of evangelicals around the world.  But ALL evangelicals, including Denzel Washington, spread the Gospel as commanded by Jesus Christ. 

You are the one who said that you want religion forced underground.  You are the one who said you hate evangelicals and that you want to kill them.  You have gone on record saying these things.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2010, 03:28:27 PM »
You are the one who made the blanket statement that evangelicals in general "force" the Gospel on other people.  Obviously, few evangelicals do that relative to the number of evangelicals around the world.  But ALL evangelicals, including Denzel Washington, spread the Gospel as commanded by Jesus Christ.

Yes. I said evangelicals force their beliefs on others, whether that belief be in the gospel of Jesus Christ, islam, judaism, atheism or their belief in the flying spagheti monster. then there are the vegetarian evangelicals, the vegans, the mlm'ers etc. they span the gamut. I've already made it abundantly clear to you I'm refering those I classify as evangelical based on their actions, rather than those who classify themselves as evangelical based on their religious denomination. Why you insist on blurring that division to create confusion is a motive only you can answer.  

You are the one who said that you want religion forced underground.  You are the one who said you hate evangelicals and that you want to kill them.  You have gone on record saying these things.

I wouldn't mind religion to go underground, and to become something done in private rather than forced upon others in their daily lives. I thik it would do away with alot of the conflict we find in society.

And yes I hate evangelicals, ...and my statement was that I would kill one if I had to.
Don't try to portray me as someone who seeks out and targets evangelicals for extermination as sport.

What the heck does all of this have to do with the movie? Why don't you try staying on topic? The subject was the movie "The Book of Eli", ...not whether one likes or dislikes a religious denomination. If you want to argue religion... take it to the religion board.
w

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2010, 09:14:12 AM »
Saw this flick today and thought it was pretty good. Much better than The road, which was a bit lame.

Then I must be clueless.

So... since they were so very obvious to you, why don't you share your keen powers of observation with us more clueless types. What were all these little hints?

Copy pasting this from IMDB boards, cause it summarizes them nicely

He was blind 100% all the way. He didn't know where the boots where, he had to feel around for them. He also couldn't SEE whether or not the corpse in the car has boots on, he had to feel around the feet.

He couldn't SEE things on shelves, had to run his hand across them, couldn't SEE the color of the brown water to know not to drink it, had to smell it.

couldn't see the IPOD low battery, had to keep clicking the buttons to confirm the battery was dead (no click sound)

couldn't see the no trespassing sign.

heard the cat that he shot with the bow and arrow, those masks don't cover the ears, he found the corpse, paced off a certain number of steps away from it...sat down and waiting for something to approach it.

Both cats made plenty of noise

clicking his tongue to echo locate

shooting at people only when they shot first so he could follow the sound, waiting for people to talk or make noise before reacting to them

smelling the other raiders at the ambush point.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2010, 09:18:04 AM »
He wasn't blind. If anything, one could make a case he was schizophrenic, ...but certainly not blind.There's no way he could have recognized the road crew leader in the bar had he been. Consider the distance from which the road crew was first observed. No way he could have smelled them or even recognized voices. He had to have seen them.

When he's in the shop asking the guy to charge the battery up, he hears the gang drive back to the bar across the street and recognizes them from the sound of their bikes. Later when he's in the bar, the guy walks up to him and starts talking about his cat, from which he recognizes him (by his voice). They weren't that far off when they attack the travelers before - he was just hiding from them in an elevation (bridge) across the road.

And if you remember, when he encounters the first gang, he leads them back into the dark tunnel to fight them, where they'd be disadvantaged.

Obviously, no blind person is that keenly sharp with their sense of hearing and smell to be able to walk and act like that (they made him out to be like Daredevil ;D), but it's a movie and you just have to suspend disbelief a little. My guess is, he was blind before the apocalypse, which is how he was able to read the braille, cause who was going to take the time to teach him to read it after "the flash"? Plus, he had God on his side, which can't be discounted, lol.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2010, 10:16:45 AM »
Saw this flick today and thought it was pretty good. Much better than The road, which was a bit lame.

Copy pasting this from IMDB boards, cause it summarizes them nicely

The movie version of The Road did no justice to the book, which was incredible.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2010, 10:22:18 AM »
The movie version of The Road did no justice to the book, which was incredible.

I heard about the book, but didn't know it was good. Will check it out.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2010, 10:26:26 AM »
I heard about the book, but didn't know it was good. Will check it out.

If you like how Cormac McCarthy writes, then you'll like it.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2010, 12:00:32 PM »
Just finished watching this one this morning. It was actually pretty rivetting.
Not quite what I expected, but it was very good nonetheless.

The actress who plays Solara,  looks like an Angelina Jolie clone. If Angelina Jolie ever does a film where she has a sister, this girl needs to be cast. The resemblance is uncanny.

The Book of Eli

ps: In this movie... 333386 marries a woman named Martha, buys a little house out in the desert, and we fast forward to see their lives in about 40 years.  ;D
Saw it months ago at the movies. Great movie. 
A